Victory Village - Victory Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: mcallister on 08-07-2010)

oline73, Nov 16, 2011

boxofrane, Nov 21, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +29.1%

One of those perfect beers. Fiance bought me an awesomely stylish Victory growler ('my first growler!' says I, the growler-phobe) filled with this new masterpiece of a beer for my birthday. Wowza.

A: Pours a light chestnut brown with a white head. Beautifully filtered, sort of looks like sweet tea in a tumbler.

S: Coffee coffee coffee. I don't know if it's because it's unbelievably new and fresh or if it's just this good. The scent is all freshly ground breakfast blend coffee.

T: More coffee coffee coffee, with some light malt sweetness and smooth drinking coolness from the heavy duty filtering that seems to have gone on during the brewing process. This could pass as a concentrated coffee liqueur without the alcohol burn.

M: Cool and smooth without any alcohol burn or carbonation burn. Goes down like Fiji water.

D: Like another reviewer mentioned, this is dangerously drinkable. It goes down very easily and I've polished this growler off in just over 24 hours - I woke up this morning wanting a glass of it with bacon and eggs. And what better compliment can you pay to a coffee flavored beer?

Bottle this, Victory; now!

mfunk9786, Aug 29, 2010

reitzbrewing, Nov 29, 2013

jjd315, Nov 23, 2012

Oakenator, Dec 11, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

jculler82, Nov 27, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +17%

on tap in Pittsburgh...nice! supposedly the only keg to make it very far from the brewery, graciously provided by Spoon for a Big Pour event. 16oz pour in an English-style pint glass.

A - solid finger+ of creamy, fluffy just offwhite foam. the beer is relatively clear, very dark amber/brown in color.

S - mmmm...dominated by coffee, but freshly ground, roasted, dark yet not overdone wonderfully caffeinated nectar. not much else going on, but great...dont distract me. lovely.

T - more sharp, assertive fresh gourmet coffee...great balance between bitter and flavorful...accented nicely by some biscuity and lightly sweet caramel malt, and just a touch of earthy hops to round it out.

M - light body, with a slightly above-average carbonation...only complaint here is just that it is a bit thin, some more body could make this a world-class beer.

D - great beer with a wonderfully constructed coffee addition...brewers really knew what they were doing by picking this particular strain. great balance, drinks more like an alcoholic coffee drink than a coffee-infused brown. well done.

Stigs, Sep 10, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +17%

Very good coffee brew, no astringency, powerful but not overpowering cofffee flavor. Mixed really well with the style of beer. I think this is the best showcase of a coffee beer I have had. Obviously different than a breakfast stout. In my opinion this beer examplifies the coffee much better.

drinkankuss, Sep 16, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A growler from WF Plymouth meeting shared at Baltimore BA gathering II at Maxs.

Pours a clear amber brown with a thin, quickly dissipating off white head. Aroma and flavor are fresh brewed coffee dominated with a subtle balance of malt and nutty brown ale flavors. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation this is one of the better and balanced coffee forward beers I've tried.

yourefragile, Aug 29, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +16%

Had this brew for the first time at the pub at Whole Foods Plymouth Meeting.

A: Pours a deep golden brown with a decent head that very much clings to the glass

S: Obviously coffee shines through in this one. Also a sweet malty punch at the end. Very nice, especially if you're a coffee drinker

T: A classic brown ale with a mellow coffee layer that lingers throughout

M: Bitter, dry, slightly acidic

D: All day, all night.

Very happy with this beer. I second the idea of Victory putting this one into a bottle.

prooke1, Aug 29, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +16%

I had this on tap at the Victory Brewing Company.  This beer was debuted tonight.

A - Pours a lovely dark amber color, very clear and crisp.  About two fingers worth of head with medium retention.

S - Immediately hit with the beautiful scent of freshly ground coffee beans.  Sweet and roasty all the way, mmm...

T -  Heavy brown ale taste up front with the coffee dominating the back end.  Coffee lingers deliciously.  This ale is slightly on the sweeter side which suits it well.

M - Medium body, slightly chewy.  Carbonation is on light side.

D - Very drinkable.  Goes down with little effort.  Could (did :-) easily drink many of these in a row.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer a lot. I am not a coffe drinker at all, bit have always appreciated the aroma of freshly ground coffee beans. This ale feautured a very authentic coffee smell, but was a little lighter on the coffee taste. Loved it!

Wiid, Aug 24, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +16%

A growler graciously brought to my wedding by my good friend who happens to be a member of the Victory team. Enjoyed with my new wife while opening gifts :)

This beer looks really nice in the snifter I decided to pour it into. Mahogany with some crimson hues, Good head and spotty lacing. Not bad at all!

The smell is a coffee lovers dream come true. There's just a touch of caramel and malt sweetness, the rest is pure, unadulterated coffee. Fresh coffee, wonderful deep characters. This is probably in the top 3 coffee beers I've ever had smell-wise, it could just use a touch more depth.

Taste is likewise one of the best coffee focused beers that isn't an imperial roasty stout. Just a great coffee taste, fresh and beautiful, culminating in some sweet crystal malt and just a touch of earthy hops. Finishes bitter with mild coffee lingering.

Mouthfeel is just a touch light, even for a American Brown. The carb is good, a touch light from the growler, but that's to be expected. Overall, I loved this and thought it is a beer any coffee lover should search out. For a 5.1% brown it's perfect. Nice one, thanks for the great wedding gift!!

jampics2, Sep 05, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I saw VictoryBeer tweet about this beer and happened to be heading to the brewery for dinner. When our waitress described this beer as tasting similar to iced coffe, I knew I had to give this beer a try!

This beer had a hint of a coffee smell. Not overwhelmingly coffee like some stouts.

The taste was great. The alcohol and coffee blended together well and created a wonderful combination.

I only ended up drinking 1 pint of this beer, although I was sure that it would be quite sessionable. I didn't feel over-coffeed or itching for a different flavor.

I liked it so much that I knew exactly what I wanted to fill my growler with by the time I finished my drink.

KAllan357, Sep 01, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

On tap at Churchkey. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a modest colored brown, probably closest to chestnut. Thin light tan head that persists throughout. Nose brings a really, really excellent combination of roasted brown malt and the pure essence of coffee. The two are in near perfect tandem. Taste brings the same thing, although the harmony isn't quite as present as it was in the nose, with the coffee a bit drier and the malt not as full. Feel is really nice with a good, dry medium body. Drinks incredibly well and I love the addition of coffee to a brown ale.

Thorpe429, Oct 14, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

RobertColianni, Nov 29, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance - The Village brown ale pours a mildly dark amber body with a nice creamy head. After a few tastes the lacing sticks to the side of the pint glass.

Smell- Coffee aroma that overshadows any other smells.

Taste-Big coffee presence and in the best way, Quality beans make for one of the better coffee profiles I have tasted in a beer reminds me of a top notch stout like speedway or breakfast stout. The coffee lingers for short while then fades nicely.

Mouth feel- Very light, but enjoyable. I don't want to be chewing a 5% abv brown ale.

Overall- Fantastic. Great taste, and I find it dangerously drinkable I've been hitting up victory heavy recently and after getting countless pints at the bar I caved in and got the growler. I think This year's version is much tastier than last years.

FatBoyGotSwagger, Oct 14, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

Picked up a growler of this at the Plymouth Meeting Whole Foods. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep brown with a finger of fluffy mocha colored foam.

Smell: Nice nose on this one. Iced coffee, roasted malt, malty sweetness, some nuttiness.

Taste: Nice mixture of the coffee and a traditional brown ale. Iced coffee with a malty/nutty sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth.

Drinkability: Very nice take on the style by Victory. Definitely wouldn't be opposed to them making this regularly. Not as good as Coffee Bender, but if I could get it regularly, that would make me a happy camper.

Axic10, Aug 30, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

A: The beer is clear amber in color and was served with a thin layer of bubbles on the surface. No carbonation is evident.
S: There is a moderate aroma of roasted coffee beans in the aroma, which was completely unexpected given the beer's reddish appearance.
T: Like the smell, there are strong flavors of roasted coffee in the taste, yet these are in no way overpowering and balanced with the underlying malts and bittering hops. Again, the color of the beer is deceptive and makes the coffee taste rather intriguing.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and also has a very light amount of carbonation.
D: The beer was rather easy to drink; I would definitely try this again if I could find it again because the coffee flavor was very tasty.

metter98, Nov 04, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

growler from the brewery - thanks to Wiid.

A - Deep mahogany brown with flashes of gold and orange. A bubbly off-white head nearly two fingers high slowly dissolves, leaving a nice film over the beer with occasional spotty lacing.

S - An assortment of roasted grains, coffee, and a hint of malt.

T - This beer has coffee everywhere. In the front, middle, and back, there's assorted coffee tastes, with plenty of hazelnut crunch in the background. A light malty base attempts to provide some backbone, with medium success.

M - Almost surprisingly light bodied, with little aftertaste or lingering senses.

D - It's practically impossible not to drink this too quickly. The coffee flavors and light body combine for a smooth, fast beer which goes down before you even realize it.

A nice brown ale from Victory, although the coffee taste might be slightly overboard for some drinkers.

xnicknj, Aug 28, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +6%

I had this one on tap at the Blue Dog in Chalfont.

A - Slightly hazy, but there is a lot of light that makes its way through the light brown body with thin white head.

S - A simple fresh roasted coffee dominates the aroma. The smell isn't terribly strong, but it is very inviting.

T - As I'm drinking this beer it was hard to find the actual beer aspect of it. I got a lot of light roasted coffee with a nutty presence, but not much in the malt department.

M - The body is fairly thin with tons of carbonation.

I think beers like KBS and GI BCBS have set my expectations for a coffee beer, but this was something completely different. I was expecting huge malt and roast, but what I got was a simple refreshing light coffee and simple beer. And I think that they hit what they were going for perfectly. At first I thought the carbonation was too high, but then I thought about it a bit more and now I understand. The carbonation was high to emphasize the coffee "kick start" feeling. Light refreshing and a nice afternoon pick me up. I sure hope they bring this beer back.

jlandis, Oct 25, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

The newest collaboration from Victory Brewing Company and One Village Coffee. Had this on tap at Teresa's Next Door in Wayne, PA.

A: This beer poured a dark amber/brown color with a medium head and minimal lacing. Similar to an English brown but with an obvious coffee color present.

S: This beer definitely smells of coffee but isn't dominated by it like many of the stouts you see these days. The coffee scent is complex and balanced by many of the typical characteristics of a brown ale.

T: To start, this is the best and most unique coffee beer I have ever tasted. I was reluctant to try it because I normally hate any sort of coffee or chocolate flavored beers. However, this may have changed my opinion. The tastes of coffee are so well balanced with the neutrality of a brown ale. The malts from the beer seem to even out any bitter coffee taste. Almost like cream in coffee (non alcoholic). Its a tough flavor to describe in words. Just one of those beers you have to try.

M: Mouthfeel is really what distinguished this beer for me. Unlike the think oily coffee stouts, this beer was light, effervescent, and highly drinkable. An English Brown Ale is the ultimate style for coffee. Shit, I could drink this stuff for beakfast!

mmercede, Aug 30, 2010