Victory Village - Victory Brewing Company

American Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 08-07-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.42/5  rDev +17.2%

A growler graciously brought to my wedding by my good friend who happens to be a member of the Victory team. Enjoyed with my new wife while opening gifts :)

This beer looks really nice in the snifter I decided to pour it into. Mahogany with some crimson hues, Good head and spotty lacing. Not bad at all!

The smell is a coffee lovers dream come true. There's just a touch of caramel and malt sweetness, the rest is pure, unadulterated coffee. Fresh coffee, wonderful deep characters. This is probably in the top 3 coffee beers I've ever had smell-wise, it could just use a touch more depth.

Taste is likewise one of the best coffee focused beers that isn't an imperial roasty stout. Just a great coffee taste, fresh and beautiful, culminating in some sweet crystal malt and just a touch of earthy hops. Finishes bitter with mild coffee lingering.

Mouthfeel is just a touch light, even for a American Brown. The carb is good, a touch light from the growler, but that's to be expected. Overall, I loved this and thought it is a beer any coffee lover should search out. For a 5.1% brown it's perfect. Nice one, thanks for the great wedding gift!!

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

On draft at Capone's...

A - A slightly hazy medium heathered brown color... A thin creamy light tan head... Minimal retention...

S - A mild yet exceedingly pure coffee aroma... Note much else going on in the scent department... One of the truest and pure coffee scents I've ever encountered in a beer...

T - Mild coffee... Saltines and other bready malts... Just the smallest touch of brown sugar... Perhaps some muted earthy tones and spice on the finish...

M - Lands somewhere between light and medium bodied... A slightly fizzy carbonation... Smooth... Even and consistent...

D - An enjoyable brew for coffee lovers... Not over the top in any area, just a mild brisk offering that is brimming with a mild coffee aroma and taste... Both quaffable and sessionable... Another job well done by Victory... Wish this was part of the regularly distributed bottle line-up...

3.72/5  rDev -1.3%

Had this beer on tap from the source at Victory's Brew Pub in Downingtown PA. On

A- It arrived at my table nice and cold looking like a cup of coffee blended with mocha syrup. A frothy cream head sat on top.

S- This beer absolutely reeks of coffee. That's basically all there is to say.

T- It starts off malty but then your taste buds get assaulted by the taste of crushed coffee beans. It goes down smooth and the essence of coffee lingers on even after you've finished your beer.

M- Very full-bodied and a little spicy on the tongue With it's low alcohol I was thinking it would be a little thinner than it was. Overall nice and a little cream but leaves the tongue tingling.

D- Depending on your tolerance for coffee the low ABV can make this a pretty drinkable beer. For non coffee drinking lovers of beer it certainly wouldn't be as drinkable. It's smoothness also helps it's drinkability for me.

I hope that Victory eventually decides to bottle Village because I'd enjoy knocking back a few of these at home in front of a fire in the winter time.

4.37/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I saw VictoryBeer tweet about this beer and happened to be heading to the brewery for dinner. When our waitress described this beer as tasting similar to iced coffe, I knew I had to give this beer a try!

This beer had a hint of a coffee smell. Not overwhelmingly coffee like some stouts.

The taste was great. The alcohol and coffee blended together well and created a wonderful combination.

I only ended up drinking 1 pint of this beer, although I was sure that it would be quite sessionable. I didn't feel over-coffeed or itching for a different flavor.

I liked it so much that I knew exactly what I wanted to fill my growler with by the time I finished my drink.

4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

The newest collaboration from Victory Brewing Company and One Village Coffee. Had this on tap at Teresa's Next Door in Wayne, PA.

A: This beer poured a dark amber/brown color with a medium head and minimal lacing. Similar to an English brown but with an obvious coffee color present.

S: This beer definitely smells of coffee but isn't dominated by it like many of the stouts you see these days. The coffee scent is complex and balanced by many of the typical characteristics of a brown ale.

T: To start, this is the best and most unique coffee beer I have ever tasted. I was reluctant to try it because I normally hate any sort of coffee or chocolate flavored beers. However, this may have changed my opinion. The tastes of coffee are so well balanced with the neutrality of a brown ale. The malts from the beer seem to even out any bitter coffee taste. Almost like cream in coffee (non alcoholic). Its a tough flavor to describe in words. Just one of those beers you have to try.

M: Mouthfeel is really what distinguished this beer for me. Unlike the think oily coffee stouts, this beer was light, effervescent, and highly drinkable. An English Brown Ale is the ultimate style for coffee. Shit, I could drink this stuff for beakfast!

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

Picked up a growler of this at the Plymouth Meeting Whole Foods. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep brown with a finger of fluffy mocha colored foam.

Smell: Nice nose on this one. Iced coffee, roasted malt, malty sweetness, some nuttiness.

Taste: Nice mixture of the coffee and a traditional brown ale. Iced coffee with a malty/nutty sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth.

Drinkability: Very nice take on the style by Victory. Definitely wouldn't be opposed to them making this regularly. Not as good as Coffee Bender, but if I could get it regularly, that would make me a happy camper.

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Let me start this review by saying that I want so badly to LOVE this beer. Victory Brewing is one of my favorite breweries around. I'm proud to have them as a local brewery. Hell, their Hop Devil Ale was a stepping stone for me into the world of craft beer. Victory is only half the equation. One village coffee makes some amazing coffee. Their smart blend(which is used in this beer) is my coffee of choice every morning at 4 am when Im getting up for work. So, needless to say I've excited about this beer since the early stages back in february. Now on to the beer itself.

I got a growler of this from Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting.

It pours a clear, burnt orange/ caramel color with a touch of ruby redness. Topped off with a three finger off white colored head. It's a good looking beer. The head doesn't stick around long.

The aroma is pretty straight forward. Coffee. As I search the nose I get a touch of light caramel malts but not surprisingly coffee dominates.

Flavor is a bit of a letdown. The coffee is there but it's light and there's not a whole lot of anything else. There's not much of anything else supporting the java which leaves it a bit one dimensional.

Mouthfeel is super light. It's refreshing and easy to drink but it borders on watery. A small amount of bitterness and acidity is present.

Drinkability gets a good mark. Before I knew it half the 64oz. Growler was gone. It's good that it's so easy to drink bit unfortunatly that 32ounces wasn't all that memorable.

Overall I am saddened to say that this was a big disappointment. Maybe it's just me but the brown ale base is just a bit weak to support the coffee forwardness of this beer. I wish there was more complexity. Maybe this is what they were shooting for. A non offensive easy drinking light bodied coffee beer with almost zero complexity. Either way, i was let down by this one and think it should go back to the drawing board. But then, what do I know?

4.44/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A growler from WF Plymouth meeting shared at Baltimore BA gathering II at Maxs.

Pours a clear amber brown with a thin, quickly dissipating off white head. Aroma and flavor are fresh brewed coffee dominated with a subtle balance of malt and nutty brown ale flavors. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation this is one of the better and balanced coffee forward beers I've tried.

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Had this brew for the first time at the pub at Whole Foods Plymouth Meeting.

A: Pours a deep golden brown with a decent head that very much clings to the glass

S: Obviously coffee shines through in this one. Also a sweet malty punch at the end. Very nice, especially if you're a coffee drinker

T: A classic brown ale with a mellow coffee layer that lingers throughout

M: Bitter, dry, slightly acidic

D: All day, all night.

Very happy with this beer. I second the idea of Victory putting this one into a bottle.

3.32/5  rDev -11.9%

A better than average brown ale laced with coffee, coffee, coffee!! Almost overwhelming.
Poured light brown from my growler, light lacing for the head. Nose of coffee, coffee, coffee!!! Taste of coffee, coffee, coffee...no fear of alcohol here, just a light refreshing brew, light mouthfeel, easy drinking. I wonder what is would be like with a higher ABV...

4.92/5  rDev +30.5%

One of those perfect beers. Fiance bought me an awesomely stylish Victory growler ('my first growler!' says I, the growler-phobe) filled with this new masterpiece of a beer for my birthday. Wowza.

A: Pours a light chestnut brown with a white head. Beautifully filtered, sort of looks like sweet tea in a tumbler.

S: Coffee coffee coffee. I don't know if it's because it's unbelievably new and fresh or if it's just this good. The scent is all freshly ground breakfast blend coffee.

T: More coffee coffee coffee, with some light malt sweetness and smooth drinking coolness from the heavy duty filtering that seems to have gone on during the brewing process. This could pass as a concentrated coffee liqueur without the alcohol burn.

M: Cool and smooth without any alcohol burn or carbonation burn. Goes down like Fiji water.

D: Like another reviewer mentioned, this is dangerously drinkable. It goes down very easily and I've polished this growler off in just over 24 hours - I woke up this morning wanting a glass of it with bacon and eggs. And what better compliment can you pay to a coffee flavored beer?

Bottle this, Victory; now!

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

Got a growler this past Wednesday after visiting the brewery for lunch. As the bartender was filling my growler, she asked Bill Covaleski what the equivalent of coffee was in the beer. Apparently, it's the equivalent of 3 cups of decaf.

A: pours a clear dark ruby red. Good head that lingers and clings to the side of the glass for awhile.

S: lots of roasted malts and coffee aroma. I can't really get much past this.

T: good brown ale with an even balance of coffee flavor to it. It doesn't overpower the beer, but the coffee is definitely the main show in this one.

M: dry and bitter. Perhaps slightly acidic due to the coffee flavor. Not bad.

D: this one is perfect for breakfast for the weekend. Seriously, as I type this I'm enjoying an omelette with toast.

4.07/5  rDev +8%

growler from the brewery - thanks to Wiid.

A - Deep mahogany brown with flashes of gold and orange. A bubbly off-white head nearly two fingers high slowly dissolves, leaving a nice film over the beer with occasional spotty lacing.

S - An assortment of roasted grains, coffee, and a hint of malt.

T - This beer has coffee everywhere. In the front, middle, and back, there's assorted coffee tastes, with plenty of hazelnut crunch in the background. A light malty base attempts to provide some backbone, with medium success.

M - Almost surprisingly light bodied, with little aftertaste or lingering senses.

D - It's practically impossible not to drink this too quickly. The coffee flavors and light body combine for a smooth, fast beer which goes down before you even realize it.

A nice brown ale from Victory, although the coffee taste might be slightly overboard for some drinkers.

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

I had this on tap at the Victory Brewing Company.  This beer was debuted tonight.

A - Pours a lovely dark amber color, very clear and crisp.  About two fingers worth of head with medium retention.

S - Immediately hit with the beautiful scent of freshly ground coffee beans.  Sweet and roasty all the way, mmm...

T -  Heavy brown ale taste up front with the coffee dominating the back end.  Coffee lingers deliciously.  This ale is slightly on the sweeter side which suits it well.

M - Medium body, slightly chewy.  Carbonation is on light side.

D - Very drinkable.  Goes down with little effort.  Could (did :-) easily drink many of these in a row.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer a lot. I am not a coffe drinker at all, bit have always appreciated the aroma of freshly ground coffee beans. This ale feautured a very authentic coffee smell, but was a little lighter on the coffee taste. Loved it!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last