Saison Du BUFF - Victory Brewing Company

Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

(Beer added by: garuda on 08-24-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
nas5755

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

A- golder orange color that is more clear than the Stone and Dogfish version. The head compared to the Stone version dissipated quickly.

S- Herbaceous, with rosemary and parsley coming through on the nose with a slight minty-grass base,

T- Herbaceous right off the bat. Very refreshing on the palate when it is the mouth. More parsley in this version with a drier finish that has some rosemary and parsley notes.

Overall- After drinking all three these, the Dogfish Head one was the most balanced, while the Stone one had the most floral and hop like flavors while the Victory version was herbed/hopped in the sense of their Pilsner(if that even makes sense). Very enjoyable. The Victory version is my least favorite.

09-29-2010 00:02:51 | More by nas5755
Bendurgin

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured this into a pint glass. The beer is a clean yellow color with lots of visible carbonation and about a centimeter of pure white head. The smell is incredible, the combination of herbs really flourishes on this one. The rosemary and thyme are real noticeable front runners on this with a nice backing aroma of pale malts that are kissed with the slightest about of bitterness. One of the better smelling brews in my opinion. This taste as good as the smell. The herbs add a nice balanced complexity. Again, I can really pick up on rosemary and thyme and I notice a bit more hops in the flavor with a presence of pale malts in the background. The finish is slightly bitter with a reminiscence of green tea. Overall, this is a wonderfully light beer with the carbonation level I would expect. Probably one of the more drinkable saisons I've encountered.

09-28-2010 02:46:15 | More by Bendurgin
ColForbinBC

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Chouffe tulip

Pours a lightly chilled golden yellow with a one finger paper white cap that didn't stick around all that long. No discernible lacing. A very small amount of visible bubbles.

Herbs leap out of the glass. Rosemary and sage especially. Crisp herbal profile up front with a bright citrus hop balance. A little bit of band aid like funk just to make things interesting.

The hops shine through quite a bit more on the tongue. Bright citrus and bubble gum hit first with the band aid coming through in the middle. The finish is heavy on the herbs and citrus and brings a decent amount of bitterness to the table.

Light body with a smooth, somewhat silky feel. Carbonation is soft and subtle, which is great. The flavors really work well together and make this guy super enjoyable and drinkable.

This is definitely not the standard for the style, but is welcome to the family. I like the way the herbs play alongside the hop profile. They complement and enhance in just the right spots.

09-28-2010 02:32:55 | More by ColForbinBC
lordofthewiens

2.83/5  rDev -26.1%

$5 for this bottle.
It poured a hazy yellow color with a minimal white head.
Pleasant citrus aroma, but also a pronounced herbal presence, which was a little bit jarring.
Things went downhill from there. There was some lemon, a fair amount of thyme and rosemary, and a big, huge dose of garlic. I felt like I had just eaten some scampi or other heavily garlicked meal, and was breathing garlic.
The garlic and herbs made for a sharply unpleasant mouthfeel. Won't drink this again.

09-27-2010 00:20:11 | More by lordofthewiens
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

12oz bottle $3, oddly one dollar cheaper than the Stone or Dogfish Head versions. This one seemed to have a lot less herb influence, it was hoppy in the smell and taste and the flavor reminded me of oranges and witbier more than a dry saison. Needs more rosemary. This was just a lot less clean than the Dogfish Head version if that makes any sense at all.

09-26-2010 23:25:06 | More by ArrogantB
hdofu

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Part II of my du buff trilogy of tastings, this one is pretty good, though not as good as I remember its Stone Counterpart. It pours gold with nearly no head, the little bit it had was white. Smell is spicy and hoppy. Taste is as complicated as its stone brother having many different spices hitting the taste buds from all sides however it just doesn't seem to have achieved a perfect balance the way the stones one did. Overall it is a good tasting beer though and better then some others I have had recently. Is still pretty crisp and lite which is how it should be. I also find it pretty drinkable and one I wouldn't mind drinking again.

09-26-2010 22:47:39 | More by hdofu
jlindros

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

I had the stone version of this on tap, just a sample so I didn't review, and it was OK, but nothing special. Hopefully this one is a little better.

A nice frothy head rises about a finger and fades slowly over brilliantly clear golden yellow wheat colored beer. A little too light perhaps.

The nose brings some interesting aromas, light wheat and malts, a slight saison and farmhouse dryness, light crisp aromas, light mild grassy hops, a little honey, and some spices. There is a very familiar spice in the nose that I can't pick out... rosemary! Tons of it. I think I get some coriander too. Plenty of rosemary, with other light spices, I think I even get a bit of heather.

The taste is spicy, lots of spices! Plenty of rosemary still, tons, with coriander, other spices, I still think heather, touch of cinnamon and pepper, and other spices. Some light wheat and malt flavors somewhere in there. A light bitterness, I think a touch of a mild grassy hops. Some light saison dry farmhouse characteristics, but not much. I think I get a touch of honey too. I light flower like taste too, perhaps the heather, or perhaps some chamomile. It finishes still pretty light, but lots of lingering spices and a little sticky honey feel, but still pretty dry on the finish.

THe mouth is lighter bodied with lower carbonation.

It has a mixed bag drinkability. It is a very light and crisp saison beer, mostly drinkable, but the spices run rampant and start to make it more of a mixed bag of drinkability.

09-25-2010 02:32:01 | More by jlindros
ComfortablyBum

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz Bottle from Chips

A - Beautiful pale gold. Clear with a finger of head which faded into a thin layer with multi-sized bubble lacing.

S - ROSEMARY sweet rosemary. Also some citrus.

T - Herbal goodness with a sweet tart flavor. All sorts of herbal flavors left at the end.

M - Highly carbonated but still smooth.

D - It was tasty, but I don't think I could have more than 2 of these.

09-23-2010 21:08:22 | More by ComfortablyBum
ism

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a clear, pale straw color, with effervescence traveling upward to a thin white head that disappears quickly, leaving thin lacing. Nose is sweet citrus, lemon peel, herbs, a hint of pepper and coriander, and slight phenol. Thin-medium body is built by malty sweetness, with orange and band-aids, spice, and finishes with citrus pine.

An interesting effort, but strangely bland. Sweetness dominates the otherwise well-balanced flavors. Very refreshing, but pales compared to other saisons.

09-23-2010 00:52:02 | More by ism
orbitalr0x

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Onto the final brewery release of this collaboration that I've sampled. Pours into my glass a hazed goldenrod with a quarter inch of bubbly white foam that falls to a ring along with mellow active carbonation. Aromas kick off with fresh cut herbs...sage rosemary and thyme all come to the forefront. Semi-sweet sun drenched malts underneath. Nice and punchy.

First sip brings a rush of fresh cut herbs upfront alongside a smooth, semi-sweet malt. Sage and rosemary blend with the thyme and parsley undertones nicely. Lemon zest accents along with a touch of herbal spiciness. Herbs are well integrated and not overpowering. Finishes with a lingering earthy accent.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp with fast paced bubbles. A bit of a slickness as well. Overall, after trying all 3 I've come to quite enjoy this brew and I can't really say one version is superior to the others by any means. They have subtle differences only. Glad to have been able to try this one...it would be nice as a summer seasonal for any of the 3 breweries!

09-22-2010 01:28:09 | More by orbitalr0x
JamnesCameron

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Reviewed after the Stone bottled version. Differences noted in this review.

Poured into a MJ, The Beer Hunter, tasting glass.

Pours a pale golden hue with a thick white fluffy head. The head did not last as long as the Stone version. leaves lots of lace on the glass.

Aromas of lemon (thyme?), rosemary, and yeast. Not as in your face with the herbs as I was expecting. Rosemary not as dominant as the Stone verion.

Has that saison peppery bite, with lemon and rosemary undertones. Again, not as over the top with the herbs as I was expecting. The herbs are in a very nice balance. Very similar to Stone version.

Mouthfeel is a little fuller than Stone version. A dry beer, as it should be, but not as dry as Stone version. Leaves a little "pucker" effect at the end of the taste, as with the Stone version.

Drinkability is high. I think I could drink this all night and not get palate fatigue from the herbs. Done very nicely. Worth replicating at home, since I have a nice supply of fresh rosemary in the garden. Same impression as the Stone version.

09-20-2010 01:20:19 | More by JamnesCameron
atsprings

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

12oz bottle into a DFH Signature glass pours a crisp pale yellow with a thin diminishing head. Aroma is sweet lemon zest and sweet malts with a nice side of spice. The taste is a nice amount of sweet malts, tangy lemon and very nice spices. The beer is quite smooth and crisp with well hidden alcohol. I have to say, this may be favorite of the three, but I'll withhold that judgement until I have all 3 side by side, I'm glad I bought an extra bottle of each.

09-19-2010 00:26:53 | More by atsprings
mdfb79

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

From 09/14/10 notes. Had on tap at FireWorks in Arlington, VA.

a - Pours a golden, very clear color with no carbonation and one inch of white head.

s - Smells of spices, piney and citrus hops, wheat, bready malts, and light fruit.

t - Tastes of spices, citrus, fruity malts, wheat. No funk.

m - Light to medium body and low carbonation. Pretty easy to drink.

d - A pretty good saison that is heavy on spices and citrus hops. No real funk to it. About on par with the Stone version, would give another shot.

09-18-2010 15:01:31 | More by mdfb79
Brad007

Vermont

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a light gold color with a one-finger head into my glass. Looks kind of sterile for the style.

Lots of citrusy hop goodness to greet my nose. There's barely a hint of spice from the yeast present.

The hops dominate the palate upfront with a decent grassy, citrus feel to them. No surprises here. Just a hint of spice from the yeast.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering grassy/citrus flavors. They leave a good indentation in the mouth.

It's definitely an americanized saison and if you've had Stone's version of this collaboration beer, you might expect the same. I like Victory's twist on it and I would love to have it from the tap.

09-18-2010 02:07:00 | More by Brad007
irishking1977

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Clear, bright golden hue, with a minimal head. Decent, but ususally Saison's have big, white pillowy heads.

S: Hmmm. I don't know what to make of this. Smells like a vege pizza without the cheese and sauce. And with lots of garlic. Bizarre. I can only imagine what it tastes like.

T: Again. Puzzled. I don't think I hate this, but I definitely don't think I like this either. Barely a hint that this one is actually a saison. Garlic and parsley are the first two flavors that hit me right in the "balls" of my palate. I guess credit goes to the brewers that collaborated on this one for trying something different, but sometimes different is not always a good thing. I doubt this was brewed solely for the purpose of cooking, but I think this might be the only useful means for this beer.

M: Good, solid strong carbonation, with a pretty watery finish.

D: One and done. Nice try to the brewers, but this one just doesn't sit well on the palate. I, for one love trying new and unique beers, but this one is way off of style, and way off on good, bizarre beers.

09-17-2010 00:55:20 | More by irishking1977
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

Appears pale golden slightly hazed hue with a bright white head and forms fine even lacing down the sides of my glass. Aroma full of fresh herbals alot of rosemary/citrus/grassiness. Malt base shines through with pale biscuit malt tones and spicy yeast characters. Flavors hit maybe too aggressive with with botanical/herb additions. Full on stem/leafy rosemary bitterness masks many aspects of a nice saison that could be here somewhere...I thought the Stone version was rough and the DFH a bit more palatable, but this one is unbalanced on it's own. Use as a marinade with some chicken breast or serve it with a nice meal, on it's own this is a bit much. I can't picture this flavor working in a regular offering, interesting experiment, but I've done enough sampling of these herb/spiced brews with these 3 interpretations. Mouthfeel dry in the finish with overkill herbaceous qualities, medium bodied decent carbonation. Drinkability overall I think I've said enough about my sentiments on the repeat drinkability, serve in small portions with herbally infused meats.

09-16-2010 03:07:25 | More by WVbeergeek
Soonami

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Victory's version of Saison Du Buff is a nice saison and the first of the series that I have had. I have the rest of the them and am looking to try them all together to compare.

This beer is a light crisp beer that was very pale and had almost no head. The beer smelled primarily of freshly crushed sage, rosemary and lemon peel. The beer definitely had the flavors from the herbal additions as well as a sound bitterness and peppery bite and a tartness in the sweet finish. For me it was a bit too sweet and the herbs dominated the flavors and aromas not really balancing with the beery contributions. The carbonation was a bit low for my liking. Overall this was a good beer that was well made and easy finished

09-13-2010 05:04:33 | More by Soonami
TMoney2591

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

Served in a snifter at The Firkin.

Part II of the BUFF triple play. It pours a generally clear pale straw topped by a half-finger of white foam. The nose comprises light pasta sauce (a red one), garlic, Belgian yeast, and a more-than-healthy smattering of window-box herbs, mostly those four Simon and Garfunkel entries. The taste holds notes of wheat, horse blanket, the aforementioned herbs, Belgian yeast, greens, and a light kiss of citrus hops. The body is on the lighter side, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I find this thing to be a miss. The herbs just don't do it for me. Without them, I think this could have been a pretty solid saison, but that point's moot now.

09-12-2010 18:23:17 | More by TMoney2591
zoso1967

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Victory's version of Saison DuBuff is served up a deep golden color with a very creamy and sticky looking white head. The head fades to leave a ring around the glass and leaves splashes of lace here and there on the glass.

The aroma is full of piney herbal notes that are very fresh smelling. This seems to be much more herb and spice forward than the stone version of the brew. There is also a sweet, slightly orchard like sweetness in the aroma and a hint of that unmistakable saison yeast note.

The herbal bouquet is much more subdued in the flavor. The slightly wheaty pale malt comes through a lot more, but this beer is far from sweet, and in fact I find it to be more bitter than an average saison. There is a real mintyness in the flavor, and a bit more pine and the sage are coming through. I have to note, while the herbal flavors are interesting, they seem to be completely obscuring the peppery and slightly funky esters that I enjoy so much in this style.

The body is on the lighter side of medium and very dry. The finish is quite balanced though, and the carbonation is very nice. I am getting an interesting aftertaste in my mouth that I am pretty sure is coming from all the herbs.

Refreshing, but just like the stone version of the same beer, this is just not convincing me that I should have another. I was very intrigued by how different the same recipe tasted when brewed with different water and on different equipment. Hopefully I will be able to track down a DFH version so I can complete the trifecta.

09-12-2010 13:44:51 | More by zoso1967
gtn80

Maine

Poured out of a bottle into a pint glass

Appearance is a light copper color, very clear. Tiny one finger head dissappears quickly.

Aroma is incredibly fragrant, lots of herbal notes coming through. Almost a ginger scent in the back.

Taste is great, herbs hit up front, really spicy. Not much yeast character, just lots of herbs and a bit of bready malt and finishes dry and a touch bitter.

Mouthfeel is full, definitely not as thin as some saisons.

Drinkability is pretty soft, all those herbs and that dryness, one in a session is plenty for me.

09-12-2010 01:22:10 | More by gtn80
BigMike

3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a pale straw yellow. A small amount of haze. Very small half a finger head tops it off.
The nose is mostly sage with some floral and citrus notes. Not as fragrant as the DFH offering.
Some orange and biscuit bread like flavors come through. Lots of pepper on the finish and seems a bit maltier then the DFH.
Oily on the tongue. Coats the mouth leaving a peppery bitter finish.
Overall this one wasn't as clean and fresh tasting as the DFH but still enjoyable. Worth a shot.

09-12-2010 00:52:08 | More by BigMike
drtth

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As poured the beer is a clear bright golden yellow with a ¼" to ½" fluffy white head that recedes to a ring and irregular island of large bubbled foam on the surface. Sipping leaves small sheets and irregular patterns of lacing, some of which cling to the sides of the glass.

Smell: The aroma is filled with the herbs. Sage dominates the rest of the herb garden in a complex interplay that reminds of the fresh grassiness of Spring. But it is not all Sage, there are definitely other herbs coming in to play here.

Taste: As predicted from the nose the flavor is initially dominated by the Sage but then it takes on an almost peppery character that recedes into the back ground as the other herbs begin to show up and introduce themselves. First we have the Rosemary putting in an appearance followed by the Thyme showing up almost as an after thought. Underlying all there is a full fresh grassy character that may be either the Parsley, the hops, or some combination of both. The malt and the hops are the supporting cast and this beer is all about showcasing the herbs.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium bodied, crisp and tingly with the sharp, prickly carbonation. The finish is dry throughout as the different spices fade, leaving only a dry bitterness.

Drinkability: I enjoyed this one and would be happy to have a repeat either right now or again in the future. While this would not be an every day choice, it is a very nice threat.

09-11-2010 21:16:51 | More by drtth
TheFightfan1

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured into a tulip. Pours a crystal clear yellow maybe a touch darker. Decent fluffy white heading. Lacing is good doesn't leave to many ringlets.

Smell at first whiff has all the trimings. Rosemary,spice a bit of some yeasty fruitiness. Second whiff a little hoppier and full of rosemary.

Taste has alot going on. A bit different than the nose. A nice cracker like malty snap.Middle gets a little lost than a kick of citrus hops surface immediately put down by the spicey linger.

Mouth is super smooth and bubbley with that nice linger of spice. Again more towards rosemary. Lightly bodied and full of flavor.

Very similiar to it's brother from Stone but a simple and different tweak. Well now time from the offering from DFH.

09-10-2010 23:07:52 | More by TheFightfan1
Stigs

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

on tap at Spoon...excited about trying the Victory-take. 6oz sample served in a small glass

A - clear, dark yellow beer, not cloudy like its Stone-counterpart. fluffy inch or so of just off-white colored foam.

S - very grassy, fresh, a good bit of slightly tart lemony fruits...a little more concise than other versions. good amount of herbal spices, thyme, basil, mint...pleasant and inviting.

T - heavily dosed with garden-herbs, thyme, rosemary, basil and mint...not overdone though. tart and lightly sweet lemons cut through everything, along with a light grassy hoppiness. good balance.

M - medium bodied, crisp and tight carbonation. dry clean finish...lingering herbal spice and grassy bitterness.

D - enjoyed this much more than the Stone version for whatever reason...everything felt more in check and more harmonized and balanced. great with foods as a nice flavor compliment.

09-10-2010 03:10:25 | More by Stigs
obireidkenobi

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

I really didn't know what to expect going into this beer. Turns out, I was impressed.

A- Light colored saison. Not a lot of head.

Smell - Grass, some spice.

Taste - Quite light actually. The spices were prevalent, and light.

Mouthfeel - Again, light and crisp

Drinkability - Finished faster than I expected, went back for more.

Looking forward to the other 2 editions.

09-09-2010 17:39:21 | More by obireidkenobi