V-Ten - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-27-2002)
t0rin0

3.75/5  rDev 0%

03-06-2013 01:48:16 | More by t0rin0
djrn2

11-26-2011 19:04:03 | More by djrn2
NeroFiddled

4.5/5  rDev +20%

750 ml bottle, corked & caged. The year is on printed on the cork. Very deep reddish-copper, almost brown, with ruby highlights and a creamy head that holds extremely well and leaves some good lace. The aroma is malty and fruity with a very light spiciness. The body is medium with a very fine, highly effervescent carbonation that is quite creamy in the mouth. The flavor is of a very rich, softly sweet, and fruity (both light and dark) malt that's very well balanced. Supple! Excellent! Absolutely worth seeking out.

09-27-2002 16:50:30 | More by NeroFiddled
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance: Ruby richness... as the bottle states great color of white cream head elaves behind nice Belgian style lacing. Aroma: Rich alcohol infused with ripened fruits namingly apples and raisins with a bready yeast tone as well sticking around. Taste: Once again rich but mildly tart apples with a wave of juicy raisins and a dose of hops skimming along the palate sweet candi sugar is in the finish. Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied fine even cabonation juicy texture, wow. Drinkability: Excellent flavors well made, can't taste 10%abv very tasty easy to consume means this one could be dangerous. I know there was some hoopla awhile back about the quality but I can guarantee that the bottle I sampled was nothing but quality, nice brew.

03-23-2004 02:56:40 | More by WVbeergeek
feloniousmonk

4.83/5  rDev +28.8%

I had to get over the overbearing immodesty displayed all over the label, but damned if these guys don't deserve such wild self-praise!
Dark garnet color, beautiful head. Aroma is superb: rich, spicy, fruity, cherries, berries, melons, peaches, plums, grapes. Lovely taste, smooth mouthfeel, stunningly delicious! This one stands proudly next to the best Belgian abbey dubbels. Bubbling over with sweet, fruity flavor! Instant favorite!
Proof again that America makes the worst of beers, and the best of beer, like V10, here! If only more Americans knew as much about the former as they do the latter.

01-08-2003 14:44:21 | More by feloniousmonk
WesWes

The beer pours a dark amber color with an offwhite head that fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has an intense malt scent. It boasts of pale and crystal malts along with a fruity Belgian yeast finish. The taste is good as well. It has a nice malty flavor that seems to be composed of Belgian pale and crystal malts. There is a bit of spice to it as well as a fruity yeast aftertaste. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine Belgian brew. I've had it a few times before, but I never reviewed it. This time I had a glass at Belgium Comes to Cooperstown. This is a good drinker.

09-18-2004 23:48:48 | More by WesWes
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.33/5  rDev +15.5%

Bottled 7th November 2003, Sampled September 2004.
As I pour this into my glass I get thick, jam-like aromatic notes of plums, fig and alcohol. The beer sits in my glass a reasonably clear pretty ruby-amber color. It is topped by a light brown head that is driven by an ample carbonation. The aroma is sweet and fruity with notes of cherries as well, there is a rich undercurrent of complex maltiness here as well. The malt notes have a toastiness and a rich caramel malt note to it that I associate with a Bock.

Interesting, the taste of this beer has a definite sourness to it up front, which, in combination with the fruitiness, again reminds me of cherries. I was not expecting something sour from Victory, and I wonder if it is here on purpose. Whatever the case, I like the tart contribution here, it has a rich tamarind character to it. The beer is quite dry, yet still remains fruity because of the sourness. With the rich malts used here this is quite reminiscent of a Flemish Sour ale, though it is a bit stronger than your typical one. The balance of this beer is dominated by the sourness, but the sourness is not over the top (say like a Lambic), it instead adds a richness and complexity to this beer that otherwise seems to be lacking. This beer, despite being all-malt and 10%, is quite light on the palate. The acid bacteria really helped to lighten this beer up, which I was expecting to be much heavier and richer. I am really not too sure why some American brewers are afraid to use some sugars or adjuncts to lighten up their stronger interpretations of Belgian ales, it is definitely the way to go and produces a much more drinkable beer.

To sum up, this beer is perhaps a bit one-dimensional in its sourness, but I do get notes of tamarind, sweet cherries, toasted malt, and a hint of grainy astringency in the finish. This beer is quite nice, it really reminds me of a Flemish Sour ale, even if this is a mistake on the part of the brewers.

09-08-2004 16:43:27 | More by Gueuzedude
weeare138

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

bottle from September 12, 2002...
Appears a dark amber with a small off white head. Scattered bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of cork, oxidation, caramel, prunes, raisins, black cherries, and tart lychee nuts.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a wine like flavor similar to a 10 year old Zinfandel.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, light tart, sweet, zingy.
Probably won't get any better at this point. It's peaked but it's pretty nice.

12-04-2009 01:47:17 | More by weeare138
rab53

Washington

12-10-2011 03:24:50 | More by rab53
beerthulhu

Strong Belgium ale.

A: Poured a rusty copper-orange with a slight tand head. Visible carbonation was moderate.

S: The nose was rich with ripe fruit (raisins) along with a sweet malt and alcohol aroma.

T: sweet malt and ripe fruit (raisins, cherries) which soon yielded to a yeasty and fruity spiciness (apricots, pears) with some candi sugar notes. There was some light sour orange hints as well citrus experienced in the finish.

M: creamy and fizzy from the active carbonation with a nice spiciness on the tongue.

D: An easy and spicy drink despite the high abv% which was fruity and enjoyable.

06-08-2008 13:54:31 | More by beerthulhu
Bighuge

4.45/5  rDev +18.7%

This beer is a deep scarlet in color. A thin beige film sits on top. Lacing is minimal. Alcohol, rock candy, bready yeast tones and fruitiness all intertwine on the nose. The taste really grows on me. On the buds, I perceive biscuit like malt tones, bready yeastiness, subtle alcohol and some slight cherry-like sweet and sour notes. There's a lingering twinge of alcohol on the tongue. Body is light and drinkability is high for a 10% a/v. One of the more enjoyable Belgian Style beers I've had.

10-29-2002 21:27:40 | More by Bighuge
Gusler

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

What a joy it was to receive my package for the “Christmas Swap”, a few days ago, and both beers are new to me, and one a particular thrill is this “Victory V10”, as you can see from my reviews, “I like Victories Beers”.
I will thank “RONFROMJERSEY”, now and get to the part I love so much, sampling a beer I know I will like before I even sample it, ah the thrill of it all.
As it breathes away in the “tripel” glass which is my preferred glass for tripels and “Belgian Strong Ales”, also use “Snifters”, but find them both to work quite well on this style of beer. The appearance a somewhat hazy cherry red, the head modest in size, creamy in its texture and the lace derived from the head fine beige sheets to slide tenderly down the glass. Over ripe fruit aromas along with malt and yeast all vie for the top spot, quite a “Sniffable Beer”. A “Sweet and Sour” start, the top rich and full in the feel, the finish has a splendid hop spicy bite, the carbonation perfect as is the dry, somewhat bitter aftertaste. The 10% ABV, certainly makes this a treat for a “Cold Winters Night” in Arizona and better yet its “Christmas Eve”, and I’m sharing my beer and my thoughts with some of the nicest people on the face of “God’s” green earth.
A “Merry Christmas” to Ron, and the same to all my “BA” brothers and sisters, and please accept my wishes for a “Safe and Happy New Year”.

12-24-2002 16:10:31 | More by Gusler
tavernjef

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

Bought Five 750ml brown bottles that were corked. Labeled Sept 2002. Drank one in Nov., two in Dec, one in Feb., one in March. The color is a nice golden copper with deep reds and browns with a good head that faded fast. Upon smelling this I knew I was in for a ride, just pouring it had a strong fruit sense whirling about in the air. Very nice. The taste is awesome, quite a punch at first but softens and gets real warm and fruity. Super fresh and sweet with all kinds of citrus notes rolling around in there. Man this stuff was yummy. I could drink it all day, but I wouldn't last if I did, 10% ABV, uuf da! That high % kind of hits you early and takes a little getting use to. You betcha, its strong. Good heavy tart and sweet tones with fairly medium body to the feel. I couldn't tell whether any aging over a two to four month period made a difference, but I couldn't tell or couldn't wait to open another. Unfortunately Im' now out of this tremendously yummy ale. Its been recently stocked up at one of my favorite liquor stores, but bumped up in price by
.69 cents. So I didn't get any last week, but plan to the weekend.

The whole bad bottle thing didn't happen here so mush as it did out east. Everyone I know whose had it, raves about it and like myself, can't wait to get some more.Yum!

03-19-2003 15:03:27 | More by tavernjef
WOLFGANG

South Carolina

07-08-2013 00:02:23 | More by WOLFGANG
ZAP

Nice dark amber..frothy white head...bubble gum on the nose along with tropical fruity...yeasty....the taste has a twitch of sweetness at the start but then the yeasty sourness overwhelmes...mouthfeel is tart....this is an interesting beer but I've had many better belgian style beers...at $9 a bottle I'll pass next time...after doing my rating my brother Big Hugey (who has had this before) and is sharing this bottle with me tells me this bottle is 'off"...Bottled Sept 11, 02..drank on July 30, 03

08-02-2003 02:16:43 | More by ZAP
RBorsato

2.4/5  rDev -36%

Clear ruby red color with almost no head but decent carbonation up the middle. Strong sweet candy-like malt aroma and flavor; lacking dark fruit character normally present in the style. Some Belgian yeastiness and alcohol shine thru but not nearly enough. Light-medium bodied, flat, and sickly sweet finish. A bit tart, a bit sour, a bit nasty...

Drank within 5 years as noted on label but can't imagine it any better in prior years. Drink it now or dump it !

Per Label" "Enjoy within 5 years of Bottle Date"

Per Cork: 2002 Vintage

Bottled: 09/12/02
Tasted: 06/13/07

($7.99 / 25.4 oz / 750 ml tall straight brown wine-like bottle, corked, and caged)

04-18-2008 20:13:53 | More by RBorsato
francisweizen

Alaska

Notes: 750ml, corked and caged bottle. bottled on september 11th of 2002. This beer was just plain nasty. It poured with a nice enough dark ruby colour and an ample head. The aromas were nice and were of various dark and light fruits, candy sugar, alcohol and yeast. The taste...was horrible. Very tart and lemony up front with no other discernable flavors. Down the drain it went. I'd love to try a good bottle of V-10 and would gladly trade for one if someone can help me out. The mouthfeel on this was astringent due to the sourness/tartness of this beer and the drinkability is non-existant.

Thanks to NeroFiddled for the free sample!
-F

12-24-2011 00:33:16 | More by jophish17
Brent

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

Obtained this through a beer trade, and had been saving it for a special ocassion - decided to open it during my 40th birthday party and shared it with a few beer geek friends.

Very pleasant - soft, dry mouthfeel. Substantial apple cider notes with sufficient yeast tangyness to offset the sweetness. The 10% abv was completely undetectable - a marvel of integration. Overall, the beer seemed a little on the green side - as though the flavors had not yet matured and achieved the fullest depth. I would love to put a bottle back for a couple of years.

02-03-2003 09:42:37 | More by Brent
Bierman9

New Hampshire

4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

Just saw this at Julios Liquors yesterday, and had to get one. Bottled 11Sep02... Has an absolutely fantastic dark-copper/garnet color! I love it! Initially had a decent 1" head, but it quickly thinned down to a sliver of foam. Also did a commendable job of lacing up my goblet. Quite enjoyed the aromas of dark fruit...a very savory nose! Good body, all-in-all. As far as the feel on the tongue, it had the right amount of carbonation to give it a foamy-creamy mouthfeel. Luscious, rich blend of flavors attack the palate: malty sweetness with candi-sugar notes; oodles of fruit flavors; a warming sensation of alcohol down the gullet and into the belly. I am very much enjoying this Belgian Babe... Nice job, Victory. Prosit!!

overall: 4.15
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4.5

10-27-2002 11:12:33 | More by Bierman9
jfcaa193

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

01-30-2012 02:45:23 | More by jfcaa193
GCBrewingCo

4.63/5  rDev +23.5%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear brilliant amber with a light and small off white head which coated the glass.

The aroma was fruity and malty with a strong Belgian character, some higher alcohol spices and phenols and a complex maltiness. The fruity aroma contain caramel and a vinous character that was very well executed.

The flavor was extreme with an Oud Bruin flavor of slight sourness that was both wonderful and complex. The sour and oaky flavors dominated and yet at the same time were subdued in complexity. The fruity esters in the aroma translated into fruity complex sherry flavors that added complexity to the flavor and interest to the beer.

The finish was dry with slight sourness lasting pleasantly long into the aftertaste. The body was medium at best, but perfectly executed. The alcohol presence was hidden throughout the aroma and the flavor except for perhaps some of the phenolic spiciness of the aroma, but was slightly evident in the post consumption warming in the beer.

Big Belgian 750 ml bottle with bottled on Sept 12 2002 on the label. I might mention that the bottle was a PITA to open. It took quite the GI Joe with a Kung-Fu grip to get the cork out of the bottle. I rated this brew as an Oud Bruin, it was great! Unsure if the sourness was planned, it was so well executed that the gentlement at Victory need kudos for making a beer this good and complex!

03-09-2005 23:40:36 | More by GCBrewingCo
Metalmonk

4.65/5  rDev +24%

I was extremely fortunate to find several bottles of this recently...the store where I bought it doesn't see a lot of turnover. When I saw this retired ale there, I went for it. This is the 2002 edition, bottled Sept. of that year, so it's well over 3 and a half years old...and I was left extremely impressed.

This is a gorgeous looking beer: Ruby bottom that melts into a dark brown/burgundy near the head. Creamy mocha-tan head that retains well. The head is fed by slow-marching bubbles, with geysers of fizz swirling randomly in the middle. Thick catacombs of lace covered the glass.

Smell is rich malts, raisin/grape, floral, clove and cherry.

Absolutely delicious: cherry-flavored milkshake, with the pungency of overripe dark fruits, a wheaty heft, and a pleasant fruit sourness that wasn't overly tart at all. All this points to a quality yeast strain that had to have been in use. It's totally unique, a big-character beer.

Very creamy mouthfeel with just enough fizz to excite the tongue.

10%? I wouldn't have known it. This well-aged bottle mellowed any alcohol bite it may have held in 2002. Glad this is bomber-size, but still, I didn't want it to end. Superb.

04-23-2006 22:32:15 | More by Metalmonk
Boto

4.88/5  rDev +30.1%

Bottled on 9/12/02: I obviously didn't get one of the bad ones that many have seemed to have gotten from this batch. The beer is excellent. It pours an opaque red-copper color. Fair head, but it didn't last long. I agree that it was almost a champagne-like head in how it lasted. It was tan with a tinge of red. The aroma has a sour-fruit smell to it. Definitely more like a Flemish Sour Ale than a Belgian Strong. The taste is along the same lines. Sour taste up-front. There is mix of tart fruitiness in the background. Possibly cherries, apples and plums. I really liked this beer!

09-01-2003 20:48:31 | More by Boto
sulldaddy

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

I had this brew at RFD in washington DC last weekend while visiting a friend. Couldnt believe they had these and for only $12 a pop!
The brew was bottled 9/11/02 and is a 750 corked and caged bottle. Cool label.
The beer is poured for me and before I can say anything a simple pint glass is used. Oh well.
Aroma is rich and fruity with cherry and apple and some biscuity yeast scents coming through. Very faint alcohol hint on the nose as well. The beer is slightly hazy in the glass and is a rich ruby red color. The head is fine, soft, and creamy and white in color. Great staying power as the head is present throughout the sampling. First sip gives a gentle, almost not present carbonation and a thick body. The flavor is rich and complex fairly sweet up front with some malt hits toffeeish, and also fruit flavors. This flows to a tart apple middle and finish and I detect no hint of the alcohol presence.
The beer is very satisfying and I would definitely buy this one again. If you see it try it!!!

04-24-2004 04:13:22 | More by sulldaddy