V-Ten - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-27-2002)
garthwaite

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Sampled on tap at the brewpub. Slightly hazy deep copperish ruby with an everlasting bubbly head. Nose of tropical fruits, belgian yeasts, warming alcohol, hints of citrus & some spice. In the mouth, this is full & rich. Flavor is of deep fruit (cranberries, apples), brown sugar, & spicy alcohol. Slightly acidic with a full citrusy, mildly yeasty, dry finish. A treat to find this one on tap.

06-07-2004 13:06:01 | More by garthwaite
sublimesipping

4.5/5  rDev +20%

enjoyed this beer as a capper on a wonderful brewery tour afternoon. Poured into a goblet a dark ruby red/black color with a a powerfully sublte bouquet of spices and sweetness. good glass lacing and a very smooth drinkability. flavor of cherries, coffee cream, and butter rum. a sophisticated beer that challenges the palate and presents much more like a full-bodied wine. made to sip and appreciate. A cold winter end of the evening with a promise for more beer.

05-05-2004 01:44:29 | More by sublimesipping
Darkale

2.58/5  rDev -31.2%

Ruby red body, as billed on the label, with a reluctant head that, surprisingly, sticks around for a while.

Spicy and yeasty aroma, not very sweet at all. Pungent and sharp.

Gritty, sour, and puckering mouthfeel. Taste is very carbonated and raspy, like harsh ginger ale. Sour fruit predominates.

This is not one of my favorites, which is too bad because Victory is one of my top 5 brewers. Too sharp and sour.

05-04-2004 14:46:11 | More by Darkale
sulldaddy

Connecticut

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

I had this brew at RFD in washington DC last weekend while visiting a friend. Couldnt believe they had these and for only $12 a pop!
The brew was bottled 9/11/02 and is a 750 corked and caged bottle. Cool label.
The beer is poured for me and before I can say anything a simple pint glass is used. Oh well.
Aroma is rich and fruity with cherry and apple and some biscuity yeast scents coming through. Very faint alcohol hint on the nose as well. The beer is slightly hazy in the glass and is a rich ruby red color. The head is fine, soft, and creamy and white in color. Great staying power as the head is present throughout the sampling. First sip gives a gentle, almost not present carbonation and a thick body. The flavor is rich and complex fairly sweet up front with some malt hits toffeeish, and also fruit flavors. This flows to a tart apple middle and finish and I detect no hint of the alcohol presence.
The beer is very satisfying and I would definitely buy this one again. If you see it try it!!!

04-24-2004 04:13:22 | More by sulldaddy
blitheringidiot

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

Guess what? On my last visit to VICTORY, I bought my 1st German flip-top growler. To celebrate, I filled 'er up with V-10. Whew! Into a snifter, me peepers see dark almost black, but if I have to choose a color, its a dark ruby brown.

Sniffs are over ripe bananas, raisins & dark spicy cinnamon.

Even tho' I reeeealy liked this a lot, there isn't much to write. That's odd. Tastes like over ripe bananas and chewy, doughy banana bread. Acidic fizzy feel, that has a chewy sizzle bite.

Cant say high 5/5 in the drinkability department, due to a high 10% ABV, but it is an easy swigger. That makes it dangerous.

Last swigs: Not too much to add. Yummy, Belgian banana yeasty, dark. Too bad I had to knock this back so fast due to a growler. I would drink this again in a second! GOOOOD!!!

Beer is good. Happy local beering.

04-22-2004 03:21:03 | More by blitheringidiot
rdrummer

3.9/5  rDev +4%

I was surprised to find this on tap at the brewery during the BA Philly Rally. It is usually available in the 750-ml bottles only. It was a deep amber color with a large off-white head. The aroma was one of maltiness, fruit (raisin?), and a definite hint of the alcohol present. This is a sweetish malt beer. There is a definite hint of the yeast and alcolhol at the back of the taste, but it adds just a hint of bitterness and is not offensive. This is another thick beer, being very heavy but not creamy. I enjoyed the beer quite a bit, but it is not one of Victory's best. Being on tap added some carbonation that is otherwise missing from the bottle version. This is heavy enough that I didn't want a second one right away.

I think that I actually liked the bottled version of this better than the tap version, which is highly unusual for me.

04-03-2004 22:35:48 | More by rdrummer
JimsArcade

3.78/5  rDev +0.8%

Served on tap at Victory and dispensed into a brandy snifter, V-10 produces a finely-carbonated, 1½ -finger, off-white head. The brew is reddish-brown and somewhat cloudy. It looks like a typical Belgian strong dark ale.

Cherries and alcohol dominate the nose. As the aroma it is brought into the mouth, alcohol becomes even more prominent. Again, these characteristics are nothing unexpected for the category.

The first sensation on the tongue is alcohol, and lots of it. As the beer is brought back to the tongue, mildly sour and bitter sensations come into the mix. The carbonation is somewhat less than the head indicates; it’s definitely present but not over-the-top. The tartness is difficult to describe: apricot and Shiraz wine come to mind, but that is somewhat inadequate. It’s like nothing I’ve never tasted before. The beer finishes slightly less tart but more alcoholic.

V-10 is an unusual brew. The above-average tartness is atypical for the category, but not unwelcome. It’s not the best Victory has to offer, but it is still a fine brew to end an evening.

04-03-2004 03:42:56 | More by JimsArcade
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance: Ruby richness... as the bottle states great color of white cream head elaves behind nice Belgian style lacing. Aroma: Rich alcohol infused with ripened fruits namingly apples and raisins with a bready yeast tone as well sticking around. Taste: Once again rich but mildly tart apples with a wave of juicy raisins and a dose of hops skimming along the palate sweet candi sugar is in the finish. Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied fine even cabonation juicy texture, wow. Drinkability: Excellent flavors well made, can't taste 10%abv very tasty easy to consume means this one could be dangerous. I know there was some hoopla awhile back about the quality but I can guarantee that the bottle I sampled was nothing but quality, nice brew.

03-23-2004 02:56:40 | More by WVbeergeek
FoolCircle

Delaware

3.23/5  rDev -13.9%

V-10 on tap, now we're talkin'!

The V-10 arrives in a brandy-snifter style glass full to the brim. Not much head retention, but the vibrant ruby-mocha coloring is very enticing. Upon first impressions the smell was warm and alcoholic with some scotch-like undertones which were quite appealing. The taste was soothing. Very mellow yet bold at the same time. There was nothing too overwelming yet there was a harmonious elixir dancing with my tastebuds. The mouthfeel had obviously low carbonation, which for me, excentuated the scotch-like appeal of the beverage. Very smooth and warming in the mouth and all the way down. The drinkability was dangerous. Normally for a beer of this strength I would like to slow it down and enjoy it a bit, instead I was finished and wanting more within minutes! Maybe next time I should nightcap with one of these instead of begin my night with one.

03-21-2004 18:17:47 | More by FoolCircle
Jables

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottled on 9/12/02
Sampled 2/19/04

Aroma has slightly sour notes but it's got a stale flat empty not good smell too.

Flavor is way, way better than the aroma. Nice rich, ripe fruit flavors (just like the bottle promises), rock candy sweetness, and an assertively sour finish. Quite tasty and dangerously refreshing for the alcohol level. Finish gets progressively fruitier the more you drink.

Mouthfeel is creamy with some carbonation.

Drinkability is too high for its own good. Interesting beer, it's not a knock your socks off super close Belgian replica, but it is a good beer of its own merit. Definitely nothing "off" about my bottle!!

02-20-2004 05:40:59 | More by Jables
blgianbeer

4.45/5  rDev +18.7%

Opened a bottle of 2002 that has been in my cellar for about a year. At first taste last year, this seemed like a typical strong brown ale, malty and alcoholic, with some sour and oak notes in the aftertaste. Good, but not remarkable for the price.
Since being in my cellar, this beer has aged extremely well. The sour and oak flavors have begun to take over the beer, reminding me more and more of my dear departed Rodenbach Grand Cru.
I am very pleased that I get to try one of these every year until 2012!!!
If you can't get a well kept 2002, pick up the newest batch and age it...your patiance will be rewarded.

01-28-2004 19:24:39 | More by blgianbeer
saltydog

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

Cork dated 2002. Appearance: Amber-red color, very clear, big head when poured. Smell: very strong spices. Some malt, and fruitiness. Taste: Sweet/sour flavor. Tartness is nicely dry. The spices are also very strong and dominent. Mouthfeel is very full. Drinkability: Drinkable, but complex flavors seem not quite meshed.

11-11-2003 03:37:08 | More by saltydog
Boto

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +30.1%

Bottled on 9/12/02: I obviously didn't get one of the bad ones that many have seemed to have gotten from this batch. The beer is excellent. It pours an opaque red-copper color. Fair head, but it didn't last long. I agree that it was almost a champagne-like head in how it lasted. It was tan with a tinge of red. The aroma has a sour-fruit smell to it. Definitely more like a Flemish Sour Ale than a Belgian Strong. The taste is along the same lines. Sour taste up-front. There is mix of tart fruitiness in the background. Possibly cherries, apples and plums. I really liked this beer!

09-01-2003 20:48:31 | More by Boto
ZAP

Nice dark amber..frothy white head...bubble gum on the nose along with tropical fruity...yeasty....the taste has a twitch of sweetness at the start but then the yeasty sourness overwhelmes...mouthfeel is tart....this is an interesting beer but I've had many better belgian style beers...at $9 a bottle I'll pass next time...after doing my rating my brother Big Hugey (who has had this before) and is sharing this bottle with me tells me this bottle is 'off"...Bottled Sept 11, 02..drank on July 30, 03

08-02-2003 02:16:43 | More by ZAP
ecoboy

Rhode Island

4.33/5  rDev +15.5%

I got jumpy, letting this one go for 10 months only. Ahhh that 10% abv warmth masked by fruit...

Short lasting head leaves good lacing. Hue is of ruby.

Taste is sour fruit tart, sour cherries and crab apples, with a vinous character. There is the subtlty of the grain of a real fruit tart riding behind the fruity flavors. Slight in body, mouthfeel and finish.

I truly enjoy sour over sweet, so this one caught my tastebuds off guard and then impressed the heck out of them. If it had been rounder or more carbonated, I believe it would take points off. Without a particular style to compare it to, I would just call this an interesting, superior product. Feed it to your wine snob friends and see what they think.

07-14-2003 14:27:16 | More by ecoboy
jcalabre

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

Originally sampled on 27 November 2002. Fruity aroma, pours with a big tan head w/ medium bubbles, nice & sweet on the palate with a clean finish. It's beautifully done; there's nearly no hint of alcohol, yet it's 10% ABV. Once again, Victory comes thru

05-24-2003 17:24:58 | More by jcalabre
francisweizen

Alaska

Notes: 750ml, corked and caged bottle. bottled on september 11th of 2002. This beer was just plain nasty. It poured with a nice enough dark ruby colour and an ample head. The aromas were nice and were of various dark and light fruits, candy sugar, alcohol and yeast. The taste...was horrible. Very tart and lemony up front with no other discernable flavors. Down the drain it went. I'd love to try a good bottle of V-10 and would gladly trade for one if someone can help me out. The mouthfeel on this was astringent due to the sourness/tartness of this beer and the drinkability is non-existant.

Thanks to NeroFiddled for the free sample!
-F

05-22-2003 22:29:50 | More by francisweizen
BeerBuilder

2.9/5  rDev -22.7%

This brew pours to a ruby-orange color with an off-white head. The aroma is grainyand fruity. The flavor is fruity, tart, sweet and a bit astringent. It is a medium-full bodied brew, very sweet and tart. Not an easy drinking beer due to its tartness. It is a different beer; although I would not seek this one out again.

05-13-2003 05:06:14 | More by BeerBuilder
Loki

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

Bottled Sept 12, 2002 ? Consumed April 18, 2003. 750mL bottle sealed with cork.

(Side note I would be careful how you use the word corked, in wine terms that usually means bad bottle which could have happed to the Sept 11, 2002 batch that everyone is has noted was bad. A natural fungus from the cork can affect, taint, and ruin wine, and it seems beer. Now back to the regularly scheduled review.)

I was hesitant to open this beer since it said before 5 years, but I?ll buy another on my next road trip to Vintage Cellar. This beer was still very young, and a fruit bomb. I would give it anywhere from 6 months to a year, but I don?t have much experience aging beer.

Cherry, raspberry, and subtle malt and hops the noise. The malts and hops help distinguish this from a lambic; other wise the fruit could easily confuse the two.

Great think head from the pour, but it did not last longer than 30 seconds to a minute. The color was dark amber, with deep red and brown clouds through out. I think the colors would become more uniform as the beer matures.

The taste was incredible, but was my confirmation that this beer was still young. The red fruit tastes were dominate, but not even. The cherry, raspberry flavor danced on the palate with a nice finish of malt and hops that let you know this was a beer. I would wager that with more time the fruits would calm slightly, and greatly even out allowing the malt and hops to take a greater role. The higher alcohol content is noticeable in the effects, but not in the taste. I would have rated the taste higher, but I think it needs to age.

All-in-all the V-10 is a wonderful beer of a style that I had not previously sampled. I plan to buy a few more and age them for various lengths to try to determine a good range.

04-19-2003 06:18:27 | More by Loki
RonfromJersey

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

A warm-up for tomorrow's BA gathering art Victory.

Bottled 09-12-02

Hazy orange body, with some very fine carbonation and a little sediment bobbing around. Loose off-white bubbly head settles quickly, but leaves a little nice lacing behind. Nose is fruity, with some lemons noticeable, but overall not as strong a aroma as I would have expected. Taste is a little tart, particularly in the aftertaste, but also notes of plums, raisins, and especially apples.

While this bottle is not the vinegary disaster others have noted, I think it may not have reached its maturity. Unfortunately, from what we know of the early bottles of V-10, maturity is definitely a two-edge sword. Either the beer developes deeper richer character, or it becomes undrinkable. I chose not to wonder any longer. Because of the documented flaws with the 2002 batch, I would recommend waiting for the next release of V-10, and giving it another try.

04-04-2003 20:50:46 | More by RonfromJersey
tavernjef

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

Bought Five 750ml brown bottles that were corked. Labeled Sept 2002. Drank one in Nov., two in Dec, one in Feb., one in March. The color is a nice golden copper with deep reds and browns with a good head that faded fast. Upon smelling this I knew I was in for a ride, just pouring it had a strong fruit sense whirling about in the air. Very nice. The taste is awesome, quite a punch at first but softens and gets real warm and fruity. Super fresh and sweet with all kinds of citrus notes rolling around in there. Man this stuff was yummy. I could drink it all day, but I wouldn't last if I did, 10% ABV, uuf da! That high % kind of hits you early and takes a little getting use to. You betcha, its strong. Good heavy tart and sweet tones with fairly medium body to the feel. I couldn't tell whether any aging over a two to four month period made a difference, but I couldn't tell or couldn't wait to open another. Unfortunately Im' now out of this tremendously yummy ale. Its been recently stocked up at one of my favorite liquor stores, but bumped up in price by
.69 cents. So I didn't get any last week, but plan to the weekend.

The whole bad bottle thing didn't happen here so mush as it did out east. Everyone I know whose had it, raves about it and like myself, can't wait to get some more.Yum!

03-19-2003 15:03:27 | More by tavernjef
Dantes

4.33/5  rDev +15.5%

Package: 750ml caged and corked bottle, labeled 10% ABV, Cork stamped 2002, label marked “Sept 12 02.” Vibrantly colored, busy label.

Cost: $6.99 at Valley Liquors (had been $5.99 at Bottle King)

Presentation: tulip glass at 50º

Appearance: Burnished auburn-ruby bio-luminiscent color. Relatively large-beaded carbonation. Loose, modest head diminished quickly despite vigorous pour.

Smell: Smelled a bit like fruit soda with a kick. Tangy citrus notes, with definite whiffs of alcohol! Very vibrant with esters and solvent-strong aromas.

Taste: Again, the fruitiness jumps out in front with the sweetness, followed by a tart snap. Reminds one of sugared grapefruit and Granny Smith apples. Exhibits a distinctive tartness verging on gueuze, but no elements indicative of spoilage. Quite the opposite, this brew is almost too fresh. As this warms and the carbonation levels off, one gets the more subtle elements of candied citron, orange, and lemon. Some spiciness peeks out from behind the sweetness, but would probably be a bigger player in a bottle of more advanced age. The sweetness lingers through the finish, with tartness moderating the tendency to be cloying.

Mouthfeel: High level of carbonation is a bit coarse, but helps the brew stand up to its sweet-tart heart. This would also probably subside as the beer aged.

Drinkability: This is a bit of a brawler of a brew. Not ass-kicking like some barley wines or imperial stouts, its vibrancy just calls attention to itself. The alcohol is not over-bearing but obvious. The flavors meld as one drinks through the bottle, but this is a beer that needs to be the star. Not the best for pairing with food or drinking in a flight of other beers. This one needs to stand alone.

An individual in a world of variations on themes. On balance, I liked this beer, but find it difficult to compare it to anything else. The nearest I can come is to say it brought to mind what Orangina would taste like if spiked with a little Everclear or 151. It shows elements of dark strong ales, lambics, and barley wines. I have kept another bottle (also Sept. 12 02) for aging. Next year will tell the tale.

Bottom Line: Those of you who haven’t tried it or are afraid to because of the warnings of bad bottles, go out and try it for yourself. Those of you who’ve had a bad bottle, owe it to yourselves to give it another try.

03-03-2003 17:56:20 | More by Dantes
OldFrothingSlosh

1.13/5  rDev -69.9%

Presentation: 750ml big-assed bottle. No bottlecap...it's got a cork with the fancy-shmancy wire holding it in. A whopping $8.69 at Carytown Wine & Beer. Alas, it is also from the 9/12/02 batch.

Appearance: Unfortunately, the color is the best thing about this particular batch of the V-10. It did pour a nice copper hue. Zero head despite a pretty aggressive pour.

Important note: I will skip Smell, Taste, Mouthfeel, and Drinkability with this review as this bottle was extremely nasty from the first whiff to the end of the repeated rinsing of the mouth to clear the horrid taste from my mouth. A skunked beer to rival any other.

Very frustrating for me in that it was pretty expensive and I was looking forward to trying it. Thus far, my experiences with Victory beer have been very favorable (with the exception of the All Malt, but that's just my opinion). I will still drink the others I've had that I liked (Hop Devil and Old Horizontal), but rest assured that each opening will take a cautious whiff to make sure I'm not drinking vinegar.

02-27-2003 18:27:14 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
comat0se

Colorado

2.05/5  rDev -45.3%

The infamous Sept 12th batch.

Appearance: copper orange, decent quarter inch head that leaves good lacing on the glass, held up to the light you can see quite a bit of yeast in suspension.

Aroma: Strong sour notes, higher alcohols, and hints of sweetness.

Taste: Initial sweetness followed by a maltiness, then overwhelming tartness, sourness, and alcohol harshness. The sourness is almost as if you're eating some sour apple or sour cherries candy. Is this a lambic or something? Makes my mouth water after swallowing it, also makes the inside of my upper lip feel "funny". Spicy alcohol notes combine with the intense sour notes, this is "Xtreme Beer." It's not entirely horrible, but very sour.

Mouthfeel: Fairly creamy at first, but sourness and alcohol attack the tongue in a one-two punch rendering the mouthfeel not so great.

Drinkability: Yeah, right. I'm taking one for the team in just finishing my glass. Not entirely a loss, but still, fairly difficult to drink.

Apparently, this beer is known to be sour, and something went wrong at the bottling stage, thus, infecting the beer.

02-19-2003 17:54:46 | More by comat0se
kunzbrew

1.78/5  rDev -52.5%

Well I have been waiting to try this beer for about 2 months, I was waiting for the perfect time, and I figured the Daytona 500 would be perfect. This is a September 12, 2002 batch, so I am a little scared because of what everyone is saying about this batch. The beer poursed a dark amber color with a sizable head that doesn't last long at all. A lace is left behind after the head subsides. Sweet fruits pour out the top of the glass along with a hops that is hard to sense as I waft the beer to my nose. This first almost made me spit across the room with disguss. The vinegar taste along with the tartness makes me sick to my stomach. If I wanted cider vinegar I would have went to the cupboard for some. I am not impressed with this beer, my nightmares came true about getting the bad batch. I am sad that such a quality brewy put this out to the market. Maybe I will try another one in the future.

Cheers