Dark Intrigue - Victory Brewing Company

Dark IntrigueDark Intrigue

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: stakem on 11-25-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Intrigue Alström Bros
callmescraps

Finally cracking my bottle of this guy. Held on to it mostly because I forgot it in Boston with the folks, so finally returned to retrieve it. Pretty stoked.

Appearance- Pours a deep, deep brown. Ah hell, let's call it black, because it looks pretty black to me. The head is a thick, frothy mocha colored one. Almost two inches. Settles into a thin cap, with nice lacing. Looks as it should, for sure.

Smell- Getting a little nervous off the top. It comes through with a lot of cherry. And not even chocolate covered cherry, but cherry cherry. Unexpected. But then I get a lot of vanilla, certainly from the bourbon. Then some chocolate powder as well. Some stone fruit, but the cherry is still there. The bourbon is coming through a lot, and it's lovely.

Taste- Hmmm. A hint of raisin up front. There is still a bunch of roast, and it finishes a little ashy. The vanilla does not come through as strongly in the taste, unfortunately. There is some of the cherry, but it gets covered by the ash. Just plenty of roast on this one, but less coffee. The bitterness lingers on the tongue, and not pleasantly to my mind. There is a real booziness as well, which is unexpected, but not really the smooth bourbon kind, more fusel. Plenty of wood and not a lot of bourbon. The char, roast, wood, bitterness is just out of balance for me. Did I mention it's ashy, and full of char? It's like they got all the worst parts of the bourbon barrels, and none of the best. Just disappointing all around. This is not a good.

Mouthfeel- Perfectly fine. Nice carbonation. Not too thick and chewy.

Overall- Very, very disappointing. The first time I've had a stout where a bourbon barrel made it worse. Add to the fact that it's almost 18 months old and I expected some real smooth stuff.

This beer simply doesn't cut it. I'm not the world's biggest stout fan, but I actually quite enjoy Storm King. I also love bourbon barrel aged pretty much anything (other than sours, generally). So I thought this could be a homerun, and at worst a triple (I think Storm King on its own is a double). Sadly, it's a strike out. I could not be more surprised. I like the base beer. I love bourbon. I respect the brewery. I have no idea what went wrong here.

06-09-2011 23:19:51 | More by callmescraps
orangesol

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Finally got around to opening one of my bottles. Bottle poured into a dogfish pint.

A – Pours pitch black with a huge three finger tall tan head leaving light lacing down the entire glass.

S – Smells of rich bourbon, dark roasted malt, vanilla, dry wood tannins, chalk, and plenty of booze. The bourbon dominates this one for sure.

T - Lots of bourbon heat up front slowly giving way to a mix of dark roasted malt, vanilla, woody tannins, and even more booze. The finish is a mix of booze and dark malt. Well this was a bit of a letdown. I enjoy the regular storm king so I figured I would enjoy this and, while still pretty good, wasn't anywhere near what I thought it might be.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Starts off with a lush feel that quickly fades leaving a thin, watered down, feeling.

O - This one is by no means bad, it just isn't great. The bourbon is a bit too dominate and the feel goes flat after just a short period of time. If they could tweak it a little bit I think it could really be something special but alas they can not.

06-01-2011 23:43:51 | More by orangesol
ktrillionaire

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to Bobby8405 for the share.

A - Pours a visibly thin black hue, oily, and is capped with a smattering of tan froth.

S - The nose is quite nice, suggesting vanilla, oak, smoky whiskey, chocolate and marshmallows. Basically the nose is colored like a s'more.

T - The flavor keeps with the base beer's tradition of not delivering on the aromatic promise. In the case of Dark Starr, it smells like such a roasty-peaty Stout and then it tastes it has the flavor sucked out; in the case of Dark Intrigue, it has the aroma of delectable s'mores, but the flavor of a Snackwells (or total lack thereof). It still tastes pretty good, but the ghost of what could have been lingers over the brew.

M - The feel is too thin for a -bal Stout.

O - It is a nice beer, but way underachieving, and almost frustrating to drink as a result.

05-31-2011 19:05:00 | More by ktrillionaire
IdrinkGas

4.21/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottled on Nov 19, 2010 . Poured from a corked and caged 750ml into a snifter.
A: Pitch black. About a finger and a half of mocha head from a gentle pour. Minimal amount of lacing.
S: Dominated by oak and bourbon. Also picking up a little sweet malt and alcohol.
T: taste is similar to the smell. Oak and bourbon with some raisins. Finishes with a little heat from the alcohol and some hoppy bitterness.
M: slightly syrupy with a perfect level of carbonation. Dry mouthfeel.

This one has improved drastically over the past 6 months. Heat has calmed down and given way to some more complex flavors. Gives me lots of hope for my remaining bottles.

05-30-2011 23:42:57 | More by IdrinkGas
chumba526

Oregon

Appears black with a dark brown long lasting head.

It smells of oaky bourbon with a hint of molasses. I also get a bit of coconut and a bit of a roasted malt and citrusy hop smell.

It tastes of sweet oaky bourbon. I get overtones of vanilla and coconut. There is a strong somewhat sweet roasted molasses type of flavor. The beer ends with a bit of an alcohol burn and a bit of a hoppy bitterness with mild citrus undertones.

There is moderate carbonation and a somewhat thick mouthfeel.

Overall a nicely balanced beer. It was not amazing but it was pretty tasty.

05-24-2011 02:59:30 | More by chumba526
abraxel

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Tasted blind as part of Blind BIF 5, courtesy of sholland119. Poured into a snifter.

A - Yet another dark, black, opaque beer. Lots of carbonation accompanied by voluminous head, which leaves thin lacing all down the sides in interesting patterns.

S - Roasty, caramel sweet, and maybe a touch sour. Perhaps some vanilla as well. There's something else I can't quite place, maybe some subtle smokiness? Complex and confusing; I might be hallucinating any one of the above descriptors. (upon later inspection, I think I was hallucinating the sour.)

T - A whole lot of bitter roasted malt (and burnt caramel), maybe even a bit smoked. Complex, slightly sweet malts, too. A touch of floral hop flavor and bitterness, but I had to dig to find it. Some booziness is noticeable, especially on the throat. This is really interesting. And hard to describe.

M - Rather smooth and nicely thick, though the alcohol and lingering roastiness interfere just a little.

Overall, this is really tasty and a little mind-boggling. It's very complex and dry, on the whole, and very roasty with lots of burnt caramel (in addition to a whole slew of other flavors that whizzed by). I can only guess it's an abnormal stout of some kind.

Non-blind comments: Damn, I wish I had used the word "intriguing"! I've never had anything quite like this beer, and it's very good.

05-20-2011 02:41:23 | More by abraxel
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
Bottled On NOV 19, 2010

This one is absolutely a dark enough brown that I'll just go ahead and call it black. It gives up only the slightest hint of brown when backlit. It produces a single finger head of, almost dark, brown foam, which is very creamy looking. The retention is very good and the lacing is in thin strands, yet they are quite sticky.

Big bourbon presence with lots of oak notes. Big roasted malt notes. Hints of dark chocolates and vanilla. Light traces of grassy hop presence.

Much more balance than I'd anticipated. The oak and bourbon notes are definitely not hiding, but they are balanced out by some big roasted malt notes and a big dose of dark chocolate. Lighter hints of burnt caramel, vanilla, cocoa, and dark fruits are here. Light trace of coffee.

Almost full-bodied with a light level of carbonation. This gives it a wonderful smoothness and a good dose of creaminess to go along with it.

I find this to be more easily drinkable than it's counterpart, Storm King. Don't get me wrong, I love Storm King as well, but this is a smoother drink when fresh. Even with this 6-month old bottle, it drinks very smooth and easy. Storm King needs at least a year on it, IMO....preferably closer to three years.
To all of you who have slagged this beer, please contact me, for my address. I'll gladly take your unwanted bottles!

05-19-2011 02:50:24 | More by coldmeat23
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured a very deep dark brown, essentially black with a big full three finger high head of tan colored foamy lace on top. Great retention eventually settled this down to about a one inch high layer of foam across the top. No real side glass lacing to speak of, which kind of suprised me to be honest.

The aroma was full of chocolate, deep dark chocolate with lots of hints of sweetness, lactose sugar perhaps, maybe a touch of vanilla. Laced in throughout were some small hints of alcohol which nicely thickenend up the aroma. First flavors to break through were nice deep chocolate notes with hints of vanilla and coffee beans laced in throughout. Most of the alcohol has long mellowed out by now and really all that remains of it was some tiny traces down through the middle. This was a very full bodied ale, with a huge rich creamy texture. This was absolutly made to be a big dessert beer. The carbonation had held up very nice as well, giving it that silky smooth creamy feel you find in the best of Impy stouts

05-18-2011 03:36:10 | More by mikesgroove
yeahnatenelson

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%

Appearance -- Pours a dark brown with a slim mocha head.

Smell -- Gentle bourbon, cocoa sweetness, roast malt, licorice/anise fermentation-derived herbal character. Not much in terms of oaky character, and the bourbon is really underplayed.

Taste -- Up front is black malt overkill: burnt malt, smoke, and ash. Chocolate malt lends some balancing sweetness. Barrel character is not terribly evident safe for some gentle bourbon sweetness. Anise is present, as is licorice to a lesser degree.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with high carbonation and a hot finish. Meh.

Drinkability -- This was a letdown. The mouthfeel was harsh, the barrel character was nearly non-existent safe for some mild bourbon sweetness and stinging alcohol heat. The smoky/ashy flavors were also distracting. All in all, I prefer Storm King.

05-17-2011 02:08:47 | More by yeahnatenelson
Jeffo

Netherlands

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

In a recent trade with G311. Thanks again man!

From a 750ml bottle into a snifter.
Note: Drunk right after Storm King Stout for comparative purposes.

APPEARANCE: Pours out dark brown, almost black, and slightly transparent. Slightly thicker than Storm King. Pour yields a small, medium looking, beige head with decent retention. Black body with zero carbonation evident. Head quickly fades to a ring only. A minimal ring remains for a while, but looks flat by the end with no lacing down the glass. Eventually just looks like flat coke. Disappointing.

SMELL: Some oak and bourbon up front. Roasted malts and oaky vanilla notes as well. Some milk chocolate too, but mostly barrel on this one. A really mild nose that’s washed away most of the base beer, but still pleasant.

TASTE: Oak and bourbon up front, with some roasted malts and vanilla there as well. Slight milk chocolate though the middle, then quite a strong alcohol burst comes though at the swallow. Oak, bourbon, and boozy aftertaste is bold but relatively short lived. Flavor profile is alright, but it’s just too mild to be memorable and too heavy on the boozy qualities as well.

PALATE: Definitely light on the palate, perhaps even lighter than the base beer, with higher levels of carbonation. Slightly creamy on the palate, goes down with a bit of a burn and finishes slightly dry on the palate. Too light, overly boozy, and certainly lack-luster for the style. Not off putting, but below average for sure.

OVERALL: Well, there it is. A decent effort at a BA imperial stout, but I don’t think the base beer is good enough to really give a BA version the strong foundation it needs. The look and especially the feel were well below average for the style, and the taste profile simply too lack-luster to be memorable. Certainly glad I had the chance to try this one out, but will not need to seek out another bottle. Thanks again for the opportunity G311.

05-02-2011 13:36:04 | More by Jeffo
Kelp

New Hampshire

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

A- Dark body with a light head, with a light lacing.

S-Bourbon upfront, slight raisin/dark fruits.

T-Tastes of charred barrel and bourbon. Turning into vanilla and smokiness.

M- Decent thickness, with a bit of watery taste.

O- A bit thin, with a light head. Overall a simplistic beer, that turns into a decent brew. I would gladly enjoy this, again.

04-24-2011 07:36:19 | More by Kelp
doopiedoopiedoo

Netherlands

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Jeffo came to my house and brought Storm King and the Dark Intrigue. I sincerely enjoyed to give this beer a chance becuase I now I know that this beer caused most of the things Black Xantus gets blamed for...
Thanks Jeff!

From a 22oz bottle.

Comes out Coca Cola black with a tan half finger foam that doesn't do much.

The first thing that came to mind after smelling this beer was Wet Dog. I had a hrad time getting past that. Tried really hard and could also detect some mild vanilla and a bit of alcohol.

Flavors are very good on this one. It's tastes like a bonbon. KBS comesto mind. So chocolate with bourbon, a bit of vanilla and a nice bitterness.

The body is light. Very light as in the base beer it has a wierd emptiness to it. Nothingness. This beer should Hijack Mikkellers Black Hole name and sitch it with this... the mouthfeel does not supports wht could have been a pretty decent stout.

04-20-2011 11:37:40 | More by doopiedoopiedoo
Wasatch

Utah

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

750ml
Caged/Corked
Bottled On: Nov 19, 2010

Poured into a chalice a nice black color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger creamy tan head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with a nice bourbon note, chocolate/toffee. The taste is sweet, malty, with lots of chocolate/toffee notes, and a very nice touch of bourbon. Medium Body, ABV is alittle up front on this one. A very tasty brew.

04-07-2011 23:42:03 | More by Wasatch
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.55/5  rDev -8%

Shared during a small Charlotte BA tasting with marine1975, caSSino, CarolinaKevin, and GehenHerzog. Big thanks goes out to marine1975 for bringing this one to share with the group! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured black with a three finger khaki head that subsided to a half finger slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark fruit, wood, and sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark fruit, and wood. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. The body was really lacking the thickness/creaminess I love in RISs. The aroma was pretty good on this one, but the flavor seemed to fall short on me as only coming in at decent. Worth trying at least once, but I doubt I could drink an entire bottle in one sitting.

04-07-2011 18:50:29 | More by thagr81us
Wowcoolman

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from bottle into a snifter-Thank Miles for bringing this to share. At 750 ml you'll want to share this too.
This is Storm King Stout aged in Kentucky Bourbon barrels. Pours jet black and has all the qualities you'd expect. We drank this along with a Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout in a bottle share- I found the profiles different but each on had it's own admirable character. The Intrigue had aged six months. The flavors were well integrated. I enjoyed both the vanilla and soft wood qualities from the oak as well as a distinct bourbon flavor that did not overpower.
While Storm King Stout is readily available, Dark Intrigue sadly has a much smaller distribution. I would say it's a must try, so grab it if you see it. Or grab two to see how it ages.

04-04-2011 05:01:39 | More by Wowcoolman
OakedCanuck

Washington

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

750ml bottle into snifter

This beer pours a deep, ebony black with mocha brown head. Good retention and lacing. Smells strongly of the bourbon, with an oaky, earthiness to it as well. Not too much depth in the nose. Taste was decent. Lots of oak and bourbon up front. Some vanilla, molasses and chocolate come through later on, but seemed more to be just afterthoughts. Mouth was decently creamy, a touch hot. Not a bad attempt at BB aging, decently drinkable, but better examples out there.

03-28-2011 18:10:30 | More by OakedCanuck
Khazadum

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

One of the last blind beers. I'm slowly coming down to the end... and all of these are corked and caged 750s ( I think ). Not to worry, wont' be getting crunk by myself. Trusty drinking partner gal is here to help sop up some of the alcohol alongside me. Choice of snifter or pint glass here. Whenever I'm given that option, it is ALWAYS going to be snifter. Love my brandy snifters so much. Favorite glass to drink out of.

A- Low retention after a full finger and a half of mocha froth. Low carbonation, decent lacing, inky darkness with crimson edging. Kinda wish it had insane lacing to go with this.

S- Delicious aroma! Is that a bourbon I detect? Strong sweetness like a decent bourbon, can't really characterize it by brand but I swear I've smelt it before. Gives off a very minute amount of ethanol astringency to benefit rather than harm. Soft vanilla tones that aren't as overly sweet as most oak aged beers give off. Nice wooden tones like palates in a warehouse. Very soft roast on the back end like baking bread with something... want to say a sprinkle of freshly ground coffee beans but that isn't it. Maybe if we dilute the coffee beans it might be that. Last tones that are a bit too fleeting to be perfect are chocolate... perfect... silky... milk chocolate. I'm snorting a Hershey's bar here. But before I truly O.D. on it, it is yanked right from my face. I need more... addicted to this particular aspect leaving me huffing in the corner of my apartment trying to get that same type of fix over and over.

T- Opens chocolatey but instantly gone with a spike of sweetness. Bourbon sweetness is a maple like flavor with some caramels melded into it delightfully. Following that is a not so nice oaken wood combination with acrid vanilla sweetness. One of the few times I wish I hadn't tasted that vanilla. Finishes up strong with roasted grains and a bit bitter. Not burnt grain, but minute hops bittering it up? Kinda confusing and complex all at once. Like it a lot though. Its a 4.25 and I'm trying to figure out which way to round.

That coffee roast that occasionally jumps up right at the beginning to meld to the chocolate makes me super excited to drink it. Gets my hopes up huge. Then it is dashed when it doesn't show up at the next drink. Why does this beer troll my mouth and nose so much!?!?!

M- Nice full body. Gives off some great creamy notes. Not too velvet or silky, but has that proteinaceous power. Carbonation well placed. Minor crispness throughout giving me the thought that it was secretly alcohol, but it is actually just the precipitation of carbon dioxide. Bit hot in the gut and throat, but gentle. Nothing searing. Very sticky flavors and the liquid itself leaves little gifts all over the place for me that I enjoy.

D- Very easy to drink, even though I feel it may be an 8% beer here. Very tasty and smells awesome. But then again at the next turn it tastes good and smells nice. But THEN it smells WOOO HOOO! and tastes S'alll good! I can't pin it down, and so it truly loses out on me. I was very impressed with it. However, it is like an A+ student and a C student all rolled into one. If it was more amazing moments and less plain ol' good moments I probably would have scored it a notch higher. Whatever it is, it certainly is a good beer. A stout for sure. American Double? Maybe. I'm going to go with a bourbon barreled stout. Even if it is a bit bourbon barrel aged, nothing extreme.

03-28-2011 01:28:52 | More by Khazadum
Onenote81

Decided to crack this bottle for the second installment of "A Beer Observed" with ClarkPinnock.

Poured my allotment into a tall chalice. Pours a very thick, creamy dark black. A large tan head billows on top. Great retention. Some lace left behind. The aroma carries notes of bourbon, vanilla, oak, roasted nuts. Very pleasant and inviting.

Full creamy mouth complements the style appropriately. Faint carbonation-play on the tongue. The bourbon comes out in the flavor, but doesn't overpower as others have stated. I found it to be subtle at times, allowing the chocolate to come forward a bit more. Deep molasses, and faint char as well. Bourbon comes back on the finish. This was much better than anticipated. I liked this a lot.

03-27-2011 18:22:56 | More by Onenote81
BeerAdvocate

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #48 (Jan 2011):

Storm King meets bourbon barrel. This black beauty gives off a towering brown-colored head. Lots going on in the aroma: subtle fusel-booze, hint of vanilla, toasted wood, burnt sugar, cooked raisins and chicory. Full-bodied and very smooth with a creamy slickness on the palate. Faint bourbon note quickly fades to let more of the wood side of the barrel aging through. Big roastiness from the malt marries with the barrel char for an intense burnt flavor that does not go overboard. Blackstrap molasses. The hops have been tamed with the aging yet still provide a balancing bitter- ness. Bitter-burnt-sweet finish. A job well done in transforming their Impy Stout into a barrel-aged sipper.

03-23-2011 14:54:45 | More by BeerAdvocate
srandycarter

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

A - Pitch black, foamy rootbeer head, slowly leaves to disk. Some cling lace.

S - Cocoa, chocolate, coffee and a small undercut of lime.

T - Chocolate milk, coffee, a little sour on the finish.

M - Medium body, good carb, balance so so.

D - Nice to try but not a session.

03-22-2011 04:08:56 | More by srandycarter
mymrnngjckt

1.85/5  rDev -52.1%

Thanks to krisandajt for purchasing and sharing this bottle.

Pours a dark chocolate / black color with little to no head at all.

Smell is is very boozy with hints of molasses and chocolate.

The taste and mouthfeel is where this beer fails epically. The alcohol is way to overpowering on this brew and makes the beer very hot to point of it being undrinkable. Too much bourbon taste. No balance. The malt character that I love in the storm king has been completely removed by the bourbon.

I did not enjoy this at all.

03-14-2011 19:23:29 | More by mymrnngjckt
sitarist

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Reviewed blind via the blind bif, thanks to sholland119.

Pours deep, dark, and opaque. Almost a fingers worth of a dirty tan head. The head falls to a thin top coating, and a ring. It leaves a couple strips of lacing. Looks like an Imperial Stout!

The first thing I smell is bourbon, actually its more peaty like Jack Daniel's #7...there are also hints of coco, coffee, and nut-roll. Though whiskey is the first thing that I smell, it doesn't overpower.

I taste peat, coffee, faint hints of bourbon, grape candy, and bitter-dark-chocolate. Its a bit to earthy for me.

It has a medium body that isn't enough to support its "big" flavor.

A wonderful sipper that is a few tweaks away from being perfect. As the snow continues to fall Im finding each sip to be more pleasant than the last.

03-07-2011 03:59:51 | More by sitarist
Phelps

Arizona

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

Received from hophead101 in the Blind Beers BIF. Poured from a 750 into my Bruery tulip and reviewed blind.

Deep, inky black with a 1.5-finger head of large-bubbled foam. It fizzles away rather quickly, leaving a soap-scummy top layer and sticky lace.

The nose is pretty one-dimensional: cheap whiskey -- and lots of it -- with some molasses, graham cracker, alcohol, raisins and prunes.

Whiskey again in the flavor, along with maple, oodles of vinous oak, dried prunes and black patent malt. They're all smoothly integrated, but it's a shallow pool of flavor and a bit overpowered by the booze.

Soft, somewhat runny body just a shade under medium that fizzes up softly. Moderate bitterness clings to the sides of the tongue between sips. Very light carbonation and a hefty alcohol that comes blazing through the nose.

Good bourbon-aged beers start with good bourbon, and unfortunately this tastes like bottom-shelf stuff. I'm not a huge fan of the regular Storm King, so it follows that this one wouldn't float my boat. Drinkability is hurt by the insubstantial body as well as the fact that the flavors of this brew just aren't that impressive.

By the way, has anyone else noticed the typo on the back of this beer's label? "So here you have such a exploration..." *shudder*

03-07-2011 01:51:27 | More by Phelps
BARFLYB

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Corked & caged bottle by way of oglmcdgl, thanks for the chance at this, bro..

Dark Intrigue is a dark son of a bitch. Regular storm king is a pitch black RIS, and Intrigue is as well. A Nice semi thick foamy dark tan/mocha head up above, receeds, cap, semi stick.

Smell is staight up bourbon, Im not sure what kind, but this one is large. It takes away from the over abundent presence of hops in a fresh storm king, I like that, aged SK is better anywayz. Scents of deep roasted malt, slight vanilla, a hit of alcohol, and semi lucious chocolate with warming.

I had a few sips of this very fresh and this has tamed down significantly in a few months. Not as hot as fresh, but that is expected. Borbon on top of chocolate, vanilla , very faint wood, no dark fruit, basically storm king with bourbon. The hops that are so 'up' there with the regular tamed during the aging, which is fine by me, but they are still tasted.

Feel is a nice big medium, kinda chewy, make that alot chewy with a nice carb on par with the regular. Another year will oly make this truely well integrated. Some heat on the tounge and a roasty/bourbon aftertaste. A great effort for a 1st time BA project, but victory brewing are legends in the game. No way i could kill a bottle of this, a great sharing beer...

03-03-2011 01:40:39 | More by BARFLYB
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks goes out to StormKing47 for this 750ml bottle. Into a Stone IRS glass. Bottled Nov 19 2010.

A: Practically black with a khaki colored head about an inch thick or so that sticks around for a few minutes. As it recedes a few nice gobs of lacing stick to the side. Really a quite nice looking beer.

S: Notes of cocoa powder, bourbon and oak. Pretty strong notes of bourbon actually, just a touch boozey. Roasted barley and a touch of coffee. Some brown sugar and molasses in there, and lastly a few hoppy notes. Smells pretty good.

T: I don't get a lot of bourbon notes, but there is definitely a strong booze component of this beer. Nice notes of cocoa powder, and roasted barley, decent amount of coffee flavors and a nice bitter finish. Surprising hop character for a -bal aged beer. Finish is just a touch harsh with roasted barley and booze and bitterness, strong oak profile on the finish as well that lingers in the mouth for quite a while. Not bad here.

M: The mouthfeel is completely off on this beer, which is thoroughly disappointing. Incredibly thin, over carbonated even prickly in the mouth. Quite watery actually. Not good on the mouthfeel here. Finishes pretty warm but never verges on hot.

D: It isn't too bad, not too hard to drink but isn't something that I keep reaching for. Usually mouthfeel doesn't make or break a beer for me, but with a stout a heavy body is almost a necessity, and this beer is incredibly thin. Pretty decent flavors, but the carbonation and thin body seriously hurt this beer. Could use a bit more work.

02-21-2011 02:15:59 | More by pokesbeerdude