Headwaters Pale Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: thagr81us on 02-14-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Headwaters Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,342 | Reviews: 564
4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

12 oz. -> Dogfish Head chalice. Picked up a six pack of this at Well's in Towson, MD @ about $11. First I've seen it anywhere. Some PA friends of mine have been fluffing this brew recently, and I tend to enjoy the Victory brews. I decided to give this a shot and buy the whole pack.

A - Bright copper, medium bubble head quickly dissolves, decent carb stream, no lacing.

S - Wow. Immediately noticeable, could be due to the glassware. Very earthy, musky almost muddy. I'm not sure how I feel about this, and it's certainly unique from what I've experienced. It's a round hop aroma with a lightly roasted backdrop.

T - Tastes right about how I'd expect an APA. The big difference here that sets this one apart from the pack is how well defined each flavor note is. Really well done. I imagine this has a lot to do with the freshness.

M - Feels light to medium-light bodied. Crisp carbonation makes this feel very clean.

O - Oh wow, so no more "Drinkability"? Ok, this makes more sense anyway. So, this one is in the middle for me. The ABV makes it easy to put back a few, but as with most decent PAs it's a bit heavy on the palate. I'd certainly order this if I ever find it on tap. I'd buy a six pack again in a few months. This would be a good one to keep on hand in the fridge for the day that you want a good full flavored and moderately hopped craft ale. Nice job, Victory.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Says to drink by June 23 2013, so I figure this is beer's likely not more than a couple months old. Poured into a Samuel Adams "Perfect Pint" glass.

Appearance: Almost crystal clear with a very slight haze; orange in color. There's about a two finger head after the pour, but it isn't long before it's just a film on top. Lacing is pretty spotty from top to bottom.

Smell: I first thought it really smelled like woman's shampoo with spices in it. That sounds odd, but it really did -- and not in a bad way at all. It smells great. As it warms up a tad, I find that it smells a lot more like a quality pale ale with a valiant blend of hops and malt. Probably the high light of this beer.

Taste/feel: Sweetness with the hops up front, that develops into more hops... and then more hops... and then finishes with the bitterness, with the flavor of caramel malts coming in to balance the hops. It's odd to me, because the hops seem sweet, and the malts seem bitter. Hey, I'm not complaining. The Citra (I believe they're Citra) hops, as usual, provide a very juicy quality to this beer, and the slight malty and spicy aftertaste on this beer makes it all the more satisfying. This is a great pale ale that has the bitterness of an IPA, but more overall qualities of an APA. Definitely a tasty pale ale worth seeking out. For the best flavor, I say take it out of the fridge five minutes before drinking it -- it's when it's at its best, I think.

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Headwaters Pale Ale, 12 oz bottle, Feb 15 2011 so very fresh indeed.

Appearance: Bright copper in color with a yellowish soapy, bubbly head with lots of lace on the glass. Looks pretty good.

Smell: Hoppy, some breadyness, cat pee. All good solid traits in a pale ale.

Taste: Victory really manages to get all the best from the hops used in this one. A unique tobacco/leafy/herbal tone but very bright. Some citrus is there too. Malt flavor is almost similar to an english ale and is very light. Good hop flavor almost reminds the Prima Pils with a great hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied and alittle watery but carbonation was good.

Drinkability: A nice session beer from Victory. Lots of hop flavor and at the modest ABV I could make this a stand by.

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A- Spicy hop character with some mild orange hops as well. Caramel and some nice full maltiness as well.

A- Brilliantly clear light amber with a nice white two finger head.

F- Spicy hop character reminding me of Centennial predominates initially. The malt character quickly follows and is nice and strong with some mild caramel sweetness present, but definitely in the background.

M- Full body and above average carbonation. Quick to clear the palate

O- A really nice interpretation of the APA. I'll return to this again for sure. I would chose this over many other pale ales in national distribution.

4.29/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: Light amber, couldn't tell too much in the bottle

Smell: Slightly sweet

Taste: Light and slightly sweet with a brief hop bite

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light and crisp

Overall: Been drinking a lot of pale ales recently and this is the best so far.

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a pale golden orangish color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is exactly what I expect for a good American Pale Ale. Pale malts with citrusy hops make up the nose.

T- The taste like the aroma is pale malts up front with a good dose of citrusy hops in the finish creating a nice amount of lingering bitterness.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, I enjoyed this beer. It has everything I want in a Pale Ale. It is not going to knock your socks off, but it is a solid beer that is highly drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

This is one very hoppy PA without the stinging bitterness of an IPA. Very fruity so you can get your hop fix even if your not a real IPA fan or want to cool on the bitter finish. Looks great. nice head, the nose isn't anything special, but much better than say Hop devil which IMO smells funky. This one is all about the hops, and the only other similar PA I've has would be Burning River. One really well done PA that gives you a nice fruity hop lick without crossing over into IPA territory. Worth a shot by any beer lover.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Starts to slowly overflow the bottle, but the pour produces a standard sized head. The liquid is hazy with a light amber color. Leaves some streaky ring lace.

Classic blend of paler malts and aromatic hops. Very pleasant while being fully predictable (in a good way).

Great balance in the flavors. Light earthiness but there's also a smoothness to the malt flavors. The hop shows up mid-sip and continues through the swallow. The bitterness is less complex but is perfectly appropriate for this style. The body is as to be expected with a slightly high level of carbonation. In short, this is a fine pale ale. In fact if I were to suggest one to give as the example of the American style, I would choose this one.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

A- Pours a clear orange amber with a beautiful 2-finger off white head that hangs around for a little bit before falling to a cap. Leaves some very nice lacing.

S- Amazing citrus and floral hops. A little malt sweetness, but the nice citrus and floral aroma comes through the most.

T- A little sweetness mixed in with the hoppiness. Not IPA hop bitterness bite, but nice pale ale hoppiness.

MF- Nice moderate bodied beer with a very clean and crisp finish to it.

O- I actually like this much better than Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. Don't hate me, but I think the flavor of this beer is much, much better.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

I remember way back when this beer was newly released, I was more than happy to see a new Victory beer available and on the market.

But as far as the beer goes:

This has a nice hoppy bite to it. Good spicy tones with a thorough bitter bite. It's nice. Real nice. I like it better than when I had it on-tap. Maybe it was the place I had it at. Either way, this is a good one, which is no less than I expect from Victory. Try it if ya got the chance.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a std. shaker pint at fridge temp.

A hearty pour produces a tangerine colored brew, with a half inch of ecru head. The head sticks around for a while, but diminishes to a thin cap. Lacing shows on the swirl and leaves some splashes on the side of the glass. Nice looking ale.

The nose is very nice for a pale ale. Remember that you are drinking a pale ale, not an IPA. As pale ales go, this is a very nice nose, citrusy with hops, and with some caramel malt balance in the background. Tangerines and orange rind make up the hop nose.

The taste follows the nose quite nicely. This is a well balanced pale ale, and the citrus hops are definitely to the fore, but not 'in your face' as one might expect of an IPA. Nicely balanced with caramel, toffee and bread crust malt notes. Mouthfeel is a solid medium, and the carbonation is spot on for the style, rounding out the mouthfeel.

Victory never fails to impress me. I've been doing a lot of pale ales lately, and this is by far the best of the lot I've tried. This is a great session beer, and I'm thinking a case of this would be a great purchase the next time I cross over into nearby Pa.

Highly recommended, and a first class Pale Ale. It's what I've come to expect from Victory ... great beer. Get 'ya some ASAP!

Na Zdravje!

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Nice bronze color with an off white soap suds head. Sticky lace trails for the entire glass. Smell of floral hops with citrus notes. Taste follows suit. Nice caramel malt backbone. Solid medium bodyFinish is nice and clean. A nice new offering from victory. Good session beer and a nice summer lighter good beer.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Clear copper color with a full two finger white head. Good retention as the head settles down to a thin blanket on top of the ale. There is a good amount of lacing around the glass as well.

The aroma has a clean hop profile to it. Citrus fruit, floral notes, and hints of pine. Yet, nothing is over the top or in your face. Biscuit like malt and some alcohol sweetness.

The fisrt flavor to hit the palate would be the floral and citrus hop. But, the hop is blanced out by the buiscut, and soft bread malt. There is a small amout of alcohol sweetness, but the finish is clean. Finish is clean and quenching with pine hop notes lingering for a bit.

Mildly carbonated with a medium/light body

One of the best APA's I have tasted it a long time!! I hope this is a year around Pale Ale.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Bottled labeled as best by Sept 19, 2011. Thank you Victory for dating! Pours a crystal clear light amber body with a nice two-finger ecru head. Good retention and good lacing.

Smells like hops! Better than many IPAs I've had. Pine resin up front with some citrus coming along as well. A little sweet malt follows.

Very good flavor blend of the bitter hop notes and malt. Still, enough pine and orange/grapefruit bitterness to compliment the malt. A bit of a sweet finish that combines some caramel flavor with some sweet tropical fruit.

Light mouthfeel that is extremely easy to enjoy. This is definitely one of the best APAs I've ever had.

4.31/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Opaque golden with a creamy white head.

S: Biscuity malt, sweet nectary citrus, mango, orange in the nose.

T: Starts off with citrus peel, orange, a touch of mango, then some pine and lemon, followed by a blend of all those flavors in the finish and a hint of malt comes with the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied and smooth.

O: Really good. Perhaps not the best pale ale, but definitely worth a try and recommended.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Terrific pale ale with great pine and citrus aroma and flavor. An east coast pale ale with that west coast feel.

Tons of citrus (orange) aroma and flavor. Also present is a nice pine flavor. It pours with a thick white head that keeps tons of lacing in the glass. This one give Sierra Nevada Pale Ale a run for its money.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Purchased as a single from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - dfh snifter

Pours a lovely yellow orange with a perfect head and moderate lacing. easily agitated back to head. Smells incredible! man.. big on the grapefruit zest.. so nice and vibrant. Very refreshing taste, similar to SNPA in a way but a bit more bright. My words fail me..

This is a great beer and one of the few from Victory that I enjoy. Get it!

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

I had this beer on Tap at the Golden Rail in Newburgh, NY. It pours an a nice clear amber color with some off white head and good lacing.

The aroma has some great herbal hoppiness with a trace of malt which is very pleasant.

This beer tastes very good with balance of herbal hops and slight maltiness.

A very drinakble beer which is smooth and light medium bodied. I would definitely recommend trying this beer. This beer could definitely replace one of my everyday beers.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Totally over priced at $14.00 a 6pk. Having said that - this is a damn fine pale ale.

Spot on for color and carbonation tho it threw a wimpy thin head of soapy froth.
Aroma is beautiful blend of floral and citrus hop with solid malt presence of honey note.
Flavor is solid as well - great balance and drinkability with a firm hop finish.

I great session pale ale - put this stuff in casks please!!

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

This was a 12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a dark golden brown with great clarity. The smell is amazingly hoppy. I love the nose of this brew. Slight malt taste upfront and then a powerful mule kick of hops that is extremely citrus and very powerful. I love the hop character of this beer. The mouthfeel is average and the carbonation is too. If you have never had this I would recommend.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

I recently consulted with a brewery that was soon to be starting up and when they asked what beers I thought they should brew (which was really the LAST thing to consider given the many unanswered questions regarding just getting the brewery built!), I told them "forget doing a pale ale and just brew an IPA". My point was that hops are what's selling now; and that a lot of beer geeks just aren't interested in basic pale ales anymore - they want "WOW"! Besides, it's a very hard sell to get your pale ale on tap when they're already being squeezed out by different styles (Belgians, IPA's, ...). That said, I'd questioned why Victory, or any brewery would bring out a pale ale at this point. I didn't know what to expect of it, but now I do - it's got some "WOW"!

There are a lot of breweries making IPA's that are really just hopped up pale ales. That's not even an option for Victory given their IPA's. This is a pale ale. It's medium light in body and drinkable. The bitterness is at a reasonable level, somewhere around 36 IBU's; and it's got a nice, caramel-drizzled malt base to it (giving a nod to its English ancestors). The difference is they've used some new and different American hops. I'm not sure what they are, but there's a sharp edge in the nose, and at the front of the mouth in the flavor. It's pungent and somewhat citrusy (tangerine). That's the attention grabber! Unlike a lot of other breweries that would have just taken that and run with it (read as - hammered you over the head with it), Victory has decided to go for more balance. They've blended their hops so that it's not just one gleaming component that blinds you from the rest of the beer. It's right up there in front, yes, but then it settles down and you find more leafy, floral, earthy, and even somewhat piney hops across the middle. There's a lot of character, but the hops still don't overwhelm the malt. It just goes from sharp at the beginning, to wide and malty with more bitterness showing across the middle, and then it steadily reduces in a dwindling finish that's more earthy/piney than citrusy. Everything is kept in balance, which leaves it remarkably drinkable.

The only question is, are today's craft drinkers savvy enough to recognize that balance, or will they still be blinded by the next bigger and better (read as less-focused but brash or bold) thing? Headwaters is a great American pale ale that carves its own little niche; and hopefully will be rewarded rather than passed over.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Very, very pretty. Smells nice. My first sip forced a double-take: am I drinking a beer, or am I munching on a bud of chronic? Seriously, you guys, this is delicious. Bitter and fresh. Nothing mind-bending, nothing revelatory, but for reals: I could drink a whole lot of them. I want to drink a whole lot of them. I'm sad I only bought two.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance is a crystal clear gold with a large pale white head on top. Good lacing down the glass while drinking. Scents are citrus, fresh bread, and a little bit of grass. The taste has a big hops profile - strongly citrus, with bitter grapefruity hops coming through stronger than some IPAs I've had. There is still some semblance of balance though, with a malty sweetness coming through in the background. I would rate this near the top of its style. Another winner from Victory.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

An exceptional pale ale. Pretty amber color (maybe more on the yellow side). Nice head at first, but a lacing I couldn't get rid of.

I know this beer is a tribute to their main water source. For me though, it is a tribute to the piney hops they use. I'm assuming Amarillo. And it is pretty nice.

A good bit of hop taste but not overwhelming. Not an IPA. So it becomes an easy-drinking beer.

12oz bottle, best-by date clearly labeled

A - Clear, brilliant orange-gold body with a one finger, soapy white head that has good retention and lacing.

S - Bready malt with some grassy, herbal hop aromas and caramel sweetness.

T - Bold bread and biscuit-like malts hit the palate first, balanced out by bitter grapefruit hops and a long, resinous finish.

M - Medium body, ample carbonation creates a light creamy texture across the palate and finishes with a punch of bitterness.

O - Nice crisp pale ale with depth and complexity crammed into 5.1% abv. A welcomed, long overdue addition to Victory's year round lineup.

Headwaters Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company