Otto Ale - Victory Brewing Company

good

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Smoked Beer |  8.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerLover99 on 10-12-2011)

coreyfmcdonald, Nov 17, 2011

horrorspecialty, Nov 16, 2011

chcfan, Nov 16, 2011

RyanPS, Nov 16, 2011

NCbeerpirate, Nov 15, 2011
3.58/5  rDev 0%

I never saw this beer as being a Dubbel, I was pretty sure it was supposed to be a Rauchbier. Anyway, the beer poured out as a deep brown color with some nice red highlights in it. The head was foamy and laced the glass pretty well. The smell of the beer gives off plenty of smoked malt aromas along with some lager yeast notes as well. The mouthfeel was prettygood, I found it to be well balanced and easy to drink. Overall I thought that this beer got a little better as it warmed up. I'm not the biggest fan of this style but I like what victory did with this one. I can't say I'd buy it again but it was nice to try.

Knapp85, Nov 15, 2011

Yoshio, Nov 15, 2011

vicsju1991, Nov 14, 2011

thebouch01, Nov 14, 2011

Lawnboy33, Nov 14, 2011

kirbsicles, Nov 14, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +3.4%

appearance: copperish color, nice head

smell: hello smoke beer, tis there

taste: nice smoke flavor, decent body, didnt really get any belgo flavor

mouthfeel: medium bodied

drinkability: I love smoke beers, this was not my favorite by any means. but if it my only smoke option, I would drink again

CampusCrew, Nov 14, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer is classified as a dubbel but be warned rather than surprised like I was, this is a rauch bier, it may be dubbel in some way but to me, this was a straight up rauch.

Beer is brown and mostly clear with a thin tan head of small bubbles, some lacing, looks good.

Aroma is mild, semi-sweet, a little yeast and a little smoke, I'm already confused at this point.

Beer is decent, medium bodied, interesting palate, but the back half is all smoke all the time, the levels of smoke are not overwhelming but it is dominant for sure. A decent little rauch, I'll have to research why this is called a dubbel. Is this is Belgian yeast strain? Anyway, a decent little smokey dubbel. I guess.

drabmuh, Nov 13, 2011

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt.

The beer is light brown with a half inch of tan head that leaves sparse lacing. The aroma is smoke, peat, campfire. Just what one would expect from a beer of this ilk. Good flavor. A notch below the authentic examples of the style, particularly Aecht Schlenkerla, who reigns supreme. That said, this is a fine rauchbier from an American brewery, albeit one that is about as close to Germany as possible...maybe there's something to that. Medium bodied, with a lasting smokiness on the palate. Recommended.

Huhzubendah, Nov 12, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a lovely clear mahogany with a very thick, if not persistent, light tan head. Malty aroma has smoky, peaty and caramel notes. Flavor fills the mouth with malt, fruit, and barbecue smoke with caramel and floral hints. There is also a whisper of sweetness and a touch of hoppy bitterness. Smooth texture has plenty of body and a good amount of fizz.

Cyberkedi, Nov 11, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

750ml caged and corked bottle poured into a Chimay glass. This was bottled on 9/28/11.

A: Pours a reddish brown color. Tons of carbonation, bubbles running of the bottom of glass. White head of only faint 1/4 finger, dissipated quickly. Some alcohol feet and mild lacing.

S: Overwhelmed with smoke notes. It really masks the dark fruitiness that should be there with the dubbel. Smells like a medicinal campfire. Listerine like.

T: Ok, it's definitely a SMOKED beer. It's not as medicine like as I expected. I get some bitterness on the tip of the tongue. In the mid mouth you get all of this beer. Smokiness. Roasted malts. Dark fruits. The finish is cleaner than expected. Smoke after taste.

M: Medium bodied, but moves to full during. Coats the mouth.

O: I gotta go with a B- on this one. I was dissappointed, but not as much as I was expecting to be.

inlimbo77, Nov 09, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a dark golden ruby/copper color with a one finger yellowish beige head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Sporadic spots of lacing left behind.

The smoked malts and estery dark fruit notes combine to create an herbal/medicinal presence in the nose. Slightly earthy with some grassy hops. Subtle hints of smoked malt with charcoal and wood notes followed by some dark fruit. Not smoker enough for my liking and kind of odd smelling.

Medium bodied with an earthy medicinal flavor that dominates the other notes. Faintly smokey creating more of a wooden, dry taste than the pleasant flavors I associate with rauch/smoked beers. This is followed by the dark fruit notes with hints of grape, plum and other berries creating sweetness that counters the dry character. Similarly to the aroma, this creates an odd medicinal, herbal flavor that overwhelms the beer. The ABV is really well masked with very little heat but the odd flavor profile makes this beer a bit unpleasant to drink.

corby112, Nov 09, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured a fairly clearish ruddy brown color with a bit of head that left a creamy/swirly layer on top. Smelled slightly smoky with belgian yeast behind...tastes very unique. great smoky flavor mixed with standard belgian dubbel flavors, not overwhelming and very drinkable...unfortunately I found myself wanting something a little more substantial from this beer...it could benefit from a bit more body. Overall it's a great brew and definitely gets bonus points for creativity but I can picture this type of beer being done a little better...still, yum.

josefnewsong, Nov 09, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +12.6%

unique and delicious, rauchbier meets belgian dubbel. pours a major sexy deep amber hue, dark like cabernet, jovial tan head which fades away quickly. nose is overly smokey, with just a tiny hint that theres a belgian underneath. alchohol notes, bonfire, and wood. taste is a bit more level, with some vanilla and bright yeast happening. mouthfeel is bubble and true to the dubbel style. this is a one of a kind for sure, and whether you like it or not, its a brand new creation, so lots of extra points for creativity. met my expectations and it is a great buzz. woooo

StonedTrippin, Nov 09, 2011

750 mL bottle dated 9/28/2011 poured into a snifter

A- A deep clear red with a two finger off-white head.

S- Smokey, camp fire like, caramel malts, touch of dark fruits.

T- Dark fruits and malts up front and nice smokey finish, grows on you as you drink it.

M- Medium body, creamy.

O- This is a nice beer that is easy to drink. The 8.1% ABV is not noticeable at all. At $10 a 750 I think I will buy two or three more to share with family over the holidays.

larryi86, Nov 09, 2011

750ml. Dark amber pour, ring of off white bubbles.

Aroma, malty, fig/prune with some smoke. Lends to darker grain aroma than normal for the style this is listed under. Strange, but I find it interesting.

Taste, a smoked belgian. Toffee, light brown sugar. Large and equal amounts of smoked peat/bacon and yeast. Again, an interesting combo, I thought they really worked well together. But then again, I don't enjoy Dubbels that much.

Lighter side of mid, good carbonation. Drinks well, for those who can enjoy the flavors.

An inbetween style brew, if judged by "style" it may not be good, if you just take it for what it is, it is well done. Of coarse, you will need to enjoy some smoked brews.

Bung, Nov 08, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +0.6%

I wish it had more smoke. Its an OK beer needs more body. The belgian is a nice twist ,but will not seek out again.Maybe I'll buy one more and through it in the cellar and see what happens after 6 months? Check this one out. You might like it. I like more smoke than what this has to offer

AttitudeBrew, Nov 08, 2011
3.58/5  rDev 0%

I poured from a bomber into a snifter, dark pour with a medium tan head, light lacing. Lots of smoke, bacon, maybe some clove. To be honest this was more of a rauch beer to me. The primary flavors I picked up were smoke and bacon. IMO this was on the thin side, the body just did not hold up. The carbonation was light, it was fairly easy to drink. The combination did not work for me, the smoked malt took away all the characteristics of the dubbel.

bonkers, Nov 07, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +21.5%

750 mL bottle,

A: Pours a clear dark red with a low medium off-white head. Solid retention, limited lace.

S: Sweet smoke, meaty like good bacon. Good caramel type malt.

T: Has an easy going malt character that accepts the smoke like they were old friends. Superbly balanced, the two flavours play off each other so well.

M: I think the Trappist yeast really helped to mellow out the beer and calm the carbonation. Never cloying which is great in an American dubbel. Soft easy going carbonation character, frothy at times with a prolonged but seamless aftertaste.

O: This is right up my alley. Everything works together to make a great beer. Want some BBQ right now.

Halcyondays, Nov 07, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -5.6%

750ml cork and caged bottle.

Pours a deep clear brownish amber with a small beige head that reedes quickly to a thin collar.

Aroma is more smokey than dubbel with the smoked malts featuring prominently. There a some sweet caramel malts, candi sugar and faint dark fruits.

Taste has a big astringent band-aid flavor up front. It's not the smoke character that I was expecting, less smoked wood and more burnt ashes. There is a sweetness in the background that lingers a bit in the finish with some figs and raisins.

Mouthfeel is astringent and artificially smokey.

I was looking forward to this one as a smoked beer fan but I think the flavor misses the mark slightly for me. The smoke is of the unpleasant burnt rubber variety. Not my favorite from Victory.

gford217, Nov 07, 2011