2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

V-Twelve - Victory Brewing Company

V-TwelveV-Twelve

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-18-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 990 | Reviews: 567 | Show All Ratings:
sterstar1

Colorado

This beer definitely falls within my top three favorite beers. I love the beer itself and the price is reasonable at $8 for a 750. It pours into my wide-mouth Chimay glass with a beautiful rosey color and not too much head. It smells sweet with some fruity tones. The taste is wonderful. Sweet and fruity at first and then ballanced out very nicely. Pick this one if you get a chance. Very drinkable!

05-16-2007 22:16:17 | More by sterstar1
mserene86

i had this beer with a delirium noel. v-12 is absolutely superior hard to compare with anything else as it is in a category all its own.i will buy all the v12 i can buy!!! complicated beer. well thought out. do not wait five years. the americans make good beer too.

12-21-2009 01:44:21 | More by mserene86
basscram

Poured into my St. Bernardus Goblet. The Belgians are mad because I've poured a light colored American belgian style quad into it. Kidding aside, Color is a light copper like color, lots of carbonation uprising from the depths and it looks brilliant! Cannot see through.

Smell is malty and smells of sweet candy is all I can gather and I can sense from the smell that this beer is going to be boozy.

Taste, A few sips and your pretty warm from the 12% abv. It has a candy taste as well, which of course is really sweet,

Mouthfeel is thin, not thick like you would expect if the beer was candyish like I describe this.

Overall this quad is awesome and I got it for 7.50 for the bottle!!! Gotta be dumb not to pick it up for that price.

02-02-2013 07:13:28 | More by basscram
kegerator

Maryland

4.97/5  rDev +23.6%

I would have given it all 5's but I really would have liked some head to speak of on this one.
poured out beautiful medium amber color with no head but a littel white rim around the edge.
smell was complex, I got pear, sugar, caramel, some spice(clove maybe?), very very nice. I was extremely intrigued at this point.
taste: amazing, first hits with a licoricesque/spice then boom hear comes the caramel/sugar sweetness and a nice warmth on the way down from the alcohol.
mouthfeel was dead on sticky sweet, yet smooth
very drinkable, i went right out and got the last one they had and am letting it age for the winter...we'll see what happnes to this one over a bit more time, although it was bottled in march of 03 so it has already had some time to age

05-06-2004 13:18:17 | More by kegerator
scottoale

4.9/5  rDev +21.9%

Caged corked 750ml bottle, bottled on Mar.29,05. Popped open and poured slowly into 16oz glass mug. Beautiful deep copper color with atomic carbonation bubbles forming an incredible frothy inch and a half, slightly off-white head. Unbelievable head retention, awesome carbo bubble show!

First off the nose is a robust, awesome malt aroma, so good it makes me shiver. Sweet smelling malt and nothing but....very, very pleasant!

Taste is exactly like the smell, incredible...malty, bubbly bliss with superb slightly sweet, into a polished smooth balanced finish. I love this stuff. The alcohol is undetectable in the flavor, but warms you pleasantly as it's loaded at 12percent ABV.

Into the mouth it is velvety smooth and really makes your tastebuds tingle. The carbonation is unlike any other I've ever expirienced, like the label says "Liquid Luxury" almost an understatement.

If there ever was one, this is "the champagne of bottled beers" very little pun intended. As listed on this site as retired, all I can say is sorry to those who have not had the pleasure because I can't recommend trying this fine ale enough! Awesome job Victory!!!

02-05-2006 03:47:50 | More by scottoale
HoldensHomebrew

4.9/5  rDev +21.9%

Beer was marked "Bottled on Feb 2008" 2 year aged example. I may not have a lot of reviews on this website but I have tasted well over 3000 beers and I have to say this is one of the best High alcohol Belgian beers I have ever had.

Even at 12% there was no Fusels detectable in this fine beer. Spicy, cloves, plums, raisins in both aroma and taste. The flavour blends so well. I dare to say that this is a perfectly balanced beer. The only thing I knocked it down by half a point was the aroma was great, just not to what I would have considered a perfect aroma. I am definitely going to pick up more bottles of this finely crafted brew.

01-12-2010 17:25:42 | More by HoldensHomebrew
TastyTaste

4.88/5  rDev +21.4%

I had been eyeing this bottle for a while, and finally bought it after a nice 11 hour shift at work. Pours a brilliant copper broown color, with lots of carbonation visible. Head is small, but resilient. Smells fruity and earthy, like a fine belgian ale, with strong wiffs of alcohol. Taste is absolutely intense. Fula dn rich, lots of carbonationa and alcohol to leave your lips and mouth tingling. Funky and sweet, with well calculated hops that blend in and enhance the alcohol in the beer. An absolute ride of a beer, big and ballsy, what I expect from Victory.

05-28-2005 03:04:12 | More by TastyTaste
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.88/5  rDev +21.4%

Victory came to Tennessee in 2009 and somehow or another, I've never tried this brew and I'm in the process of kicking my own ass at this point... It's an amazing brew, this one is..

Into my Chimay goblet goes this wonderfully beautiful brew with its deep golden appearance and thick creamy head... Nice spotty lacing... I'm ready to get into this one...

The aromas coming off of this one are just heavenly... It's absolutely loaded with these wonderful apple-y sweet aromas mixed with dark caramel and sweet malts and those characteristic Belgian sugars... It's got me going crazy here... I've slowly become a fan of Belgians and this one may have pushed me over the edge... these aromas are incredible... there's a bright crisp hoppy aroma here as well that really makes this one shine... Best aromas off of a Belgian and maybe any beer I've ever had...

Wonderfully complex tastes of those sweet Belgian sugars and the crisp tart apples that taste like they're fresh off of a tree in an orchard in Washington State...this is wonderfully complex and delicious... Vanilla, oak, apples, sweet malts, crisp hops, a little yeast, some Belgian sugar... everything I could ask for in a Quad wrapped up in a bottle that I can acquire in West Tennessee... I'm happy as hell at this point... There's no sign of the booze either... you're kidding me at 12%ABV, right? I'd guess about 7% at the most... this isn't boozy at all... Just delicious...

I have a new Top 5 brew and it's Victory V-Twelve... It's the best Quadrupel that I've ever had and one of the best brews I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying... No doubt that this will be a staple in my fridge for years to come...

Well done, Victory!!!

02-06-2010 06:12:58 | More by Tilley4
doubleipa

4.85/5  rDev +20.6%

Bottling date is August 27, 2004 and it has been cellared since then. Absolutely zero head, but a nice dark amber color. Aroma was wonderful: heavy malt, bread, moderate yeast, dark cherry, clove. What a great feel on the palate. More carbonation feel than I had expected based on zero head. 12% alcohol - sure couldn't tell. This was very, very easy drinking. Not a dark tasting as Chimay, but really incredibly good. I think I 'll let my other bottles age a bit longer and see what happens.

11-20-2006 15:06:57 | More by doubleipa
Thiestru

4.85/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured from a large bottle into a pint-sized pub glass.

Appearance: Clear copper color with a one-finger white head. The head diminished to a mere covering soon enough, and left no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Spicy hops, citrus, and alcohol are at the forefront, with malt being definitely in the background. You can immediately tell that this is a complex beer. Very appetizing.

Taste: Wow! After a few sips, I found myself saying aloud, 'Damn, this is a good beer.' There's a nice maltiness complimented by floral bitterness and a citrusy tang that's just fantastic. The alcohol doesn't hit you until the beer is at the back of your throat, and it warms you up in a wonderful way, not abrasive at all. You can feel the warmth spreading down into your chest; it's really excellent. With every sip I take I'm finding more nuance in the flavor. Sometimes the darker maltiness catches my attention, sometimes the tang, sometimes the hoppiness. Now I'm picking out some raisiny tones, and some fruit. All of these come together to create something uniquely succulent. I love this.

Update: I've been on this beer for a while now, so it's warmed up quite a bit. The flavor mellows a little as the temperature rises, with the malts becoming more prominent. It's a bit more balanced. I didn't think it could get much better, but it has. Love it.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and warm. Just what it should be.

Drinkability: The flavor being what it is, I just want to drink a ton of this; the alcohol content being what it is, I have to force myself not to. But I will be keeping this on hand from now on.

Damn, but this is a classic beer.

06-08-2008 12:10:48 | More by Thiestru
kindestcut

4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Man, this beer kicked my butt...but in a good way.

The V-12 poured a beautiful, dark orange-brown. The head was healthy but not huge. The beer just looked "pretty."

The aroma was beginning to reach my nose before I leaned down to smell it. this was a very aromatic beer...and delicious, too. I could detect a sweet and spicy aroma dominated by brown sugar...it's the malt speaking.

The flavor was just amazing...spicy with a hint of coriander...sweet to a fault perhaps but still delicious. The one thing that struck me (literally) was the alcohol. Yes, this beer is 12%. However, the alcohol is not dominant. It is, however, dominant in effect. However, the flavor is such that the tastiness makes it so very drinkable.

05-18-2004 12:46:57 | More by kindestcut
FirstMan

4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

On my first visit to the Linwood Grill in Boston, BeerPanther, Knuckles and I were lucky enough to experience this little bit of perfection.

I should note here that what we were drinking had been cellared for over a year - and man, did that do good things.

Folks, this is what good beer tastes like. Just a fantastic beer.

Caramel coloring and a beautiful frothy head that lingers down into a splotchy thin layer across the top. Nice lacing that wicks up the side of the glass after each sip.

I think I probably kept my nose in the glass for about 10 minutes before actually sipping this. What a variety of flavors. I could swear this is Belgian. Plums, raisins, candy, bread - I was picking up new levels and layers with each sniff.

What happened in the nose happened two or three times over in the taste. Like a really really good-tasting roller coaster. Aside from the variety of amazingly balanced flavors listed above, what really got me was how long a back-end this thing had. Again, I was just sitting there noticing the evolving flavors for at least a full minute between sips.

If this beer was a woman, I would be arrested for stalking. I need me another taste.

08-15-2005 16:08:16 | More by FirstMan
Tolnik

Colorado

4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured this reddish brown coloration Belgian-inspired ale into a pint glass. When first poured it came with a nice amount of foam that reduced to wisps of lacing. The aroma is that of fruits and sweet hop aromas. The taste follows suit but then turns to apricot, hops, slight hints of colander. Well balanced as any victory brew has been to me so far!

02-08-2009 07:44:50 | More by Tolnik
cnally

Indiana

4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Oh, Victory. I had a victorious day personally, so this is an appropriate brand.

The appearance is a slightly transparent brown with red tints. A nice shimmery off white head sits with pride.

Aroma is subtle with some plum, oaky malt, hints of sherry.

The flavor is stunning. Balances between a rowdy bitterness, peppery and menacing, and a smooth fruity tannin laced dark malt. We are talking about some dark cherries, grapes, plum. Dark and seductive. Absolutely deep.

Mouthfeel is silky and smooth. Amazingly low carbonation but enough of a body to get you where you need to go.

Love it. Absolutely love it. Can't say enough about the blast of deep fruity, and frankly red wine flavors going on here. This beer holds its own against any European quad I have ever drank.

07-31-2011 03:54:26 | More by cnally
aaronh

4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

Ok. It's December the 12th. I just finished working a 12-hour day. I have 12 hours of OT thus far this week. And I'm working the next 12 consecutive days. So a co-worker asks me what I'm doing to celebrate 12-12 (the power of 12 is a running joke at the plant, as most shop personnel work five 12 hour days every week). That's when it hits me: V-12.

I pour about 12 ounces of this anticipated beer (been in the stash since April) into my glass. Deep amber liquids casts a slight warmth of red, topped by a cream colored head. It is rare to see a beer this beautiful. A nice spicy nose greets me, with strong coriander and a subtle fruitiness. Hints of yeast round out the basic but enticing aroma. The first sip reveals a very nice fruitiness. Pear notes first, but then a subtle over-ripened plum flavor kicks in. These fruit flavors start out strong and remain so, but then more of a honeyed note slips in. All is balanced by a bitterness of hops, but it is very light and offers an even subtler component to the flavor. The finish is long, and offers an encore of all the flavors once again.

The mouthfeel is very well done as well. The body has very little weight to it, but it has character. It adds to the experience with the fine carbonation and slightly syrupy caresses. Drinakbility is scary. There is no way this is 12% ABV! I've had 8% beers that were much heavier with alcohol-relates esters. I expect to finish this bottle in short order.

I really like this beer. This is one I should have bought a case of in the spring. Victory makes many solid beers, and this is definitely one of them. I will be checking out the rest of the future V series offerings. If you have any of this, feel special. If you see any, buy it without hesitation. Fantastic stuff.

12-13-2003 00:43:57 | More by aaronh
Boto

Connecticut

4.78/5  rDev +18.9%

2002 750ml bottle: High expectations for this beer. A good "POP" from the cork when it was pulled. It pours a slightly orangish color. Some head, but it dissapates quickly. Sweet nose of caramel, fruit and yeast. Taste is sweet, with fruits, as well as some caramel. A hint of sourness. The first taste was very good, and it got better from there. A fabulous brew. A great way to watch the snow fall!

12-14-2003 21:18:59 | More by Boto
AlexJ

4.78/5  rDev +18.9%

This beauty pours out a bright copper penny dark orange with a dense head of tan merrangue that retains and laces nicely in the Val Dieu goblet. A sudsy ring and light veil remains til' the end.

Aroma is massive and intense, brimming with insane amounts of malt and candi sugar sweetness softened by various levels of fruit including pear, cocoa-dusted berries, near-rotton red grapes, melon, and tropical fruit. There's musty yeast, damp cellar notes, wildflower honey, and traces of minerality. Rich, complex nose will rival any Belgian-made Quad.

Flavor is incredible and so complex. Toffee malts and tons of candi sugar pave the way for a tidal wave of fruit notes;pear, pinapple, red berries, musty grape, stewed peaches, and deeply candied orange peel. The yeast contributes a pleasantly musty, damp concrete note with drying traces of minerality. Noble tasting hops round out a very long, generous finish that is just lip-smacking good.

Body is naturally big, slick, and syrupy, with a very creamy mouthfeel and smooth texture. The 12% abv is only noticable once the bottle is finished, and I begin to slide off of the couch. This was consumed immediately after drinking St. Bernardus Abt 12 on a fresh tap and it was a very nice follow up. The best big V beer from Victory I've had so far.

02-12-2006 20:55:18 | More by AlexJ
softcough

South Carolina

4.78/5  rDev +18.9%

A beautiful 750 ml cork finished bottle.

Well, I have to admit, this is one of my all time favorites. It may not be for everyone, but it sure is for me.

Pours beautifully with gorgeous deep amber color. Aromas are powerful with noticeable alcohol but it is well intertwined with rich fruit.

Taste is loaded with plum, nectarine and all kinds of other fruit as well as some well integrated candyish notes to balance the alcohol.

If you haven't had it, I would definitely give it a try.

09-11-2007 04:00:24 | More by softcough
AlanJK63

4.78/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into snifter. Bottled on Jan 09 05! (Purchaced from AJ's 2 days ago. What are the chances!? & yes the last one ;( I checked)
A: Pours a darker orange-amber with 1 inch light tan head that recedes fairly fast. Definately lighter than most Quads.
S: Very pleasing and fruity. Soft Belgianesque spices. Golden Brown sugar, soft caramely malts, hint of yeast and alcohol in the background that subtlety hints at a sink full of Dawn dishwashing detergent water. (marked off only ½ pt as is very subtle)
T: Follows aroma nicely. Alcohol is what? 12? kiddin. Nice mix of belgian spice, yeast, no fusels or esthers detectable in this very fine beer. Spicy, cloves, plums, raisins, mild earthy hops and soft mild caramel malt flavours. Quads do usually improve with warmth as more flavour can come through, but I like this one at a solid 47°.
M: Mild, soft, medium-full bodied. Perhaps lighter than what one would expect for this style and certainly the ABV.
D: Very well balanced. Considering the style and ABV, this is amazingly drinkable. ABV is so hidden. I've actually drunk the whole bottle, NO problem man. Overall an outstanding brew. Not perhaps World-class like the St Bernardus or Rochefort 10, but a GREAT US version! Definately find & try.

01-16-2010 06:21:12 | More by AlanJK63
cretemixer

Indiana

March 11, 2003 bottling.

Pours clear copper in color with a off-white head that fades to a thin colar in a minute or so. Strong carbonation keeps it fed.
Brown sugar, sweet malts and berries dominate the aroma. The alcohol is there, but seems well hidden.
The first sip is fairly sweet and malty. "Belgian" style yeast. Very smooth. The alcohol is apparent but not overpowering at all. Leaves a nice warm & fuzzy feeling--the warm comes now, but I'm sure at 12% ABV, the fuzzy will take effect by the time I finish this bottle. A light toastiness comes into play mid-glass as the beer warms a bit. The second pour from the bottle yields no dregs, even though the bottle warns of them. I honestly don't see any sediment in the bottle either. Finishes more glorious than it began. The label says "Liquid Luxury" and I have to agree.
I could drink this beer every day, but alas, I have only one bottle left. Anyone want to take bets as to how long it lasts?

06-22-2003 19:42:44 | More by cretemixer
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

Drinkable masterpiece. A work of art in great malts and hops and yeast. Tasty orange and peach flavour with faint cloves and other spices. Somewhat complex on the taste buds. Good mouthfeel. Up there with Top Belgiums I have had. Great for a freezing cold day's supper.

12-26-2004 02:12:14 | More by Sammy
jantonius

A - Cloudy, slight Amber Beer

S - Strong Smell of Alcohol with yeast and citrus.

T - Slightly sweet with citrus flavor followed by malts and bread.

M - Nice body in the middle, almost soft.

D - Scary how drinkable this beer is, considering the alcohol content.

This is a great Indian Summer beer to kick football off with.

11-26-2009 01:42:40 | More by jantonius
bradcochran1234

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

WOW!!!! Victory always comes through. And this wonderful Quad is is coming through balls to the wall. Get your prime rib ready cause this is gonna complement.
A- Caramel with mild sediment floating. Don't get scared by the sediment, it loves you too. Starts with one finger of head but quickly dissipates.
S-Well well well caramel, there you are again. And here come your friends candy and yeast!
T-Caramel is pullin' all first stops here. Quickly, the caramel, is followed by some great brown shuga, and then it happens...CHERRY!!! Thank you!
Mouthfeel- Sticking around for a minute. Starts semi sweet to sweet. Mid's out with some Belgium feel. Ends a little sticky or viscous if you will.
O- Easily a storeable beer. I would say a late 4yr would be prime. Just a great addittion to all the great beers these guys come up with.

05-08-2011 05:51:21 | More by bradcochran1234
boudreaux

Alabama

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

A: dark golden/amber, almost orange; hazy cloudy body; thick, fluffy, 2.5 finger head that dissipates slowly, leaving a thin foamy lacing that eventually froths out completely

S: complex and robust; sweet fruits up front, with apricot, orange, and pear notes; followed by maltiness, with toasty, bready yeast aromas; spicy, tart hops finish out the aroma experience

T: fruit and alcohol up front, with sweet, bitter cherry flavors; sweetness balanced with medium, bitter hop notes; Belgian yeast breadiness and spice adds dryness, warmth and balance

M: medium carbonation; full body; alcohol adds warming sensation; dry and refreshing finish

O: instant favorite; flavors hit the nose on opening, and lasts until bottle is emptied; definitely not a sessioner; enjoy it sipping every few minutes, letting it warm to room temp

Serving type: growler

08-01-2011 21:48:16 | More by boudreaux
Mitchster

4.74/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Brewed with "imported 2 row malts and whole flower Styrian Goldings and German Tettnang hops", 12.0% ABV

$9.99 for a corked and caged 750ml bottle @ BevCo. Pours out to a hazy light amber, forming a tall creamy and poofy off white head with excellent retention and lacing. Very tiny bubbles. Carbonation is moderate, ~2.5 carbs or so...thankfully not overdone like many Belgian style bottle conditioned ales. The nose is exceptionally fragrant...HUGE bouquet of orange marmalade, pineapple, mango, very distant grassiness. No DMS, no off aromas. Mouthfeel is initially prickly then eases into the very silky and luxurious. Deceptively light bodied considering the ABV. The taste is like liquid orange marmalade and cloves...a firm wave of peppery alcohol in the middle, a mild bitterness in the aftertaste with more hops than you would expect for the style but still well balanced. On the lightly sweet side like a quad should be, but not overbearingly sweet. Alcohol is warming but not boozy. I don't get a distinct dark candi syrup/dark fruit flavor like most quads.

This is an exceptional beer worthy of stocking up on! This beer is one to be savored during special events. I imagine myself on Xmas eve sipping on this next to a warm fire as the rest of the world goes to bed and I drift off in my chair. Kinda like the sleepytime tea box:) Exceptional stuff. VERY highly recommended!

09-16-2013 00:11:59 | More by Mitchster