V-Twelve - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-18-2003

Ratings: 1,211 | Reviews: 592

I made two attempts to try this beer. Each time it was a 750ml bottle with a cork. Both times the cork broke in half. The first time I used a cork screw to try and get the remaining cork out of the bottle, the lip of the bottle burst under the slightest pressure. The second time I managed to get the cork out. The beer tasted like a stew of dirty mop water mixed with old garbage, it was honestly awful.

1.06/5  rDev -73.6%

Well, this was my 1st Quad and I am guessing Quad are not for my palate. I struggled to split my 1/3 of a 22oz-er. Way, Way, too much beer for me, this one bordered on hard alcohol in my estimation. If you like Quads, perhaps Victory has nailed the taste with this Twelve. But overall, it left me wondering how/why does anyone drink this kind of beer?

1.43/5  rDev -64.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

I'm getting very tired of American Microbreweries ruining every style they can by over-hopping it! It's a Quad. It's not supposed to taste like a friggin' IPA.

When I buy a quad, I want a quad. What I don't want is an IPA with a little more barley. Please, when will this horrible trend stop? Read my review history - I don't make a habit of crapping on a beer, but between this brewery, Sierra Nevada, and Digfish Head, pretty much every style has had it's over-hopped American version. There's nothing on this bottle that tells you they've ruined the style, but that's what they've done - ruined a perfectly good beer style by going way too hard with the hops.

Victory - please approach this style with a modicum of respect. Please?

2.41/5  rDev -39.9%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

Thanks to Trxxpaxxs for this bottle!

Reviewed blind as part of Blind BIF 6. It pours a clear copper topped by a frothy couple o' fingers of dusty cream-whiteness. The nose comprises light melon, tart orange, lemon zest, light white grape, a touch of pine needle, light honey, and there's a vague notion of Brett-like funkiness in there as well. The taste holds notes of rich caramel, pine resin, some sense of menthol, honey, and something akin to thick, spicy wine grapes (imagine a nice PX sherry made with chardonnay grapes or something...). It's like an overt combination of sweet and piny, with neither side knowing when to back off, always escalating and exacerbating every possible circumstance. If the world were run like this, it would consist of literal dust caught in the threads of the cosmic tapestry. The body is a stolid medium, with a very light moderate carbonation, a syrupy feel, and a sorta/kinda dry finish. Overall, I thought this was a pretty sad excuse for a quad, one that laughed in the face of a usually tasty style, making everyone involved feel all the worse for the experience.

2.53/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle that was bottled on August 27, 2004. Left less than a one finger head that quickly receded to just surface skim, and left pretty much no lacing. Body was an orange amber.

Smell - fruity esters of overripe bananas, rotting pears, dried fruits like dates, raisins, and plums. Equally strong are medicinal phenols and alcohol.

Taste - like the smell. Bananas, rotting pears, plums, dates, medicine, alcohol. Aftertaste of alcohol.

Mouthfeel - thin, some carbonation, dryingly sweet, astringency from alcohol.

Drinkabilty - not crazy about this beer, so it goes down with some effort. Also high abv of 12% limits this to a rare-once-in-a-while type drink.

2.6/5  rDev -35.2%

Bottled 03 Jul 14 at40 degrees into snifter
Nose – can’t smell anything good or bad
Head small (<1 cm), off white, fizzy, virtually instantly diminishing to 1 mm partial ring
Lacing none
Body golden amber, clear – just beautiful!
Flavor begins sweet like candi sugar, no distinct flavors appear, ends sweet; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium to full, creamy to syrupy, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 2, Flavor 2.5, Palate 3.5, Overall 2.875. Final weighted score: 2.625.
In terms of appearance, this beer lacks any head that lasts longer than 30 seconds and produces absolutely no lacing. The golden amber color, however, is simply beautiful. I cannot detect any aroma whatsoever, but at least it doesn’t smell bad. In terms of flavor only the sweetness of candi sugar is noticeable – no caramel, no figs, no dates, no raisins, no alcohol – just sweet. No hops, no malt, no diacetyl. The palate is decent. I last had this beer in 2008 and can’t see where it’s changed. Whatever I paid for this bomber was too much for a beer that’s “meh” at best.

2.7/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Appearance- dark brown to copper, very high level of carbonation off the first pour, white head extremely thin and very quickly fades, clear and see through in color, light color and appearance for the style

Smell- very malt driven nose, alot sweetness on nose, raisin, rum, not over powering nose

Taste- starts being extremely sweet and a little bit of spice on the finish keeps some dryness to the beer, finish is long, definite alcohol flavor can be noticed as well, overall sort of bland in the flavor area

Mouthfeel- high level of carbonation, extremely heavy and thick feel, very hot and warming on the finish, alcohol really flares up on mouthfeel

Drinkability- just to boozy and sweet and to heavy to be enjoyable drinkable, its not offensive really but just kind of hard to get through, just too much, wouldn't seek out again a rare miss to me by victory

2.71/5  rDev -32.4%

i enjoy most of victory's beers, but am going to have to break against the crowd on this one.

smells a lot like apple juice to me. flavor is more of funky yeast and alcohol. not especially tasty. softens as it warms, but not my favorite. overpriced too.

2.78/5  rDev -30.7%

750ml poured into a tulip. Bottled on 2/28/08 so almost 1 year old.

A - Looks promising...like a rich, malty double IPA with a smaller head and more carbonation

S - Very fruity and boozy (it is 12%) floral hop aroma and biscuit. Smells aged

T - Tart apricot. Very sweet. Brandy. Bitter finish

MF - Extremely full bodied. Noticeably carbonated. Warm/burning alcohol finish. Bitter.

D - Too much. One glass is more than enough. More bitter and hoppy than expected.

If you want an over the top extreme version of the style, then pour this one. Otherwise, this is too much sweet, syrupy, estery, for someone to enjoy.

2.8/5  rDev -30.2%

Bottled on JUN 23 2010

A- This is incredibly light and clear for a quad. And when I say clear, I mean that, for all intents and purposes it is completely clear. The color is a pale rosewood. Its kinda like a darker colored blush wine. The head is white and fizzles out pretty quickly but with a 12% abv and a body thats this thin I didnt expect it to last very long.

S- Very weak nose, and my wide ass Chimay goblet doesnt help that much. Candi sugary sweetness (even though I dont think there is any in this), some figs and alcohol.

T- Sweet candied cherries, apple, earthy yeast, peaches, alcohol and a touch of maple.

M- Light in body, crisp in carbonation, dry in the finish, warm in the swallow.

Im having a hard time calling this a quad. I mean line this up with Rochefort 10, St Bernardus ABT 12 and Pannepot Old Fishermans Ale and the looks alone will have this one sticking out like a sore thumb. I guess the shoes this beer has to fill are too big.

2.85/5  rDev -28.9%

750ml bottle from Bevmo. Pours a nice cloudy copper color with a short lived off white head. Observed minimal lacing. The aroma was strong with spices, malts, alcohol and dried plums. The flavor was dominated by a distinct, and distracting, hard alcohol taste. Other flavors in the background were caramel, malts, and toffee. I am unable to evaluate the hops as the alcohol taste keeps getting in the way. The mouthfeel is full and satisfying. The finish is long with a big alcohol burn. Overall: Too strong for me, I poured this one down the drain. I can not rule out that I got an isolated bad bottle--may re-evaluate again sometime in the future. Not recommended.

2.87/5  rDev -28.4%

Serving type - 22oz bottle

Apperance - Golden brown/tan, little creamy head. Light yeast floaters

Smell - Strong spice and yeast smell. Floral tones, alcohol.

Taste - Very bland and yeasty. Everything else was just too mild, the spices, barley malts, etc. The more it warmed up, the more the alcohol took over.

Mouthfeel - The alcohol and yeast dominated and left a nasty aftertaste in mouth. Didnt enjoy trying to swoosh it around to get more flavors.

Drinkabily - Low for me. Not impressed. Not enough floral flavors, or spices. Too much yeast and the alcohol came through too easy. Victory makes great beer but there triples and quads basically dont cut it, i dont want this ever again

2.97/5  rDev -25.9%

A: Orange-brown, some head/lace, no retention.

S: Spicy raisins and sherry.

T: Spicy, prunes, strong/warming alcohol in the aftertaste.

M: Moderate body, high carbonation.

D: This is boardering on the line of being a malt liquor. The alcohol is readily apparant.

Thanks Len!

3.03/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Opened this with three pther people. We all felt like this needed more time. Too yeasty or Bretty. It just didnt taste right?

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

I decided to open this bottle on the 2nd anniversary of the day it was bottled, 11 March 2003. Uncaged and uncorked, I was rewarded with a soft "phut" and slight wisp of mist. Poured into my sacred St. Bernardus chalice, I gazed at a copper hued brew with virtually no head, just a thin scattering of foam that quickly ghosted away. Looked more like an old ale.
A few sniffs and I found myself wondering just where the aroma was. What I found was lots of alcohol, some mild vanilla, a bit of yeasty malt, and a woodiness like oak lumber or an oaken barrel. Not very complex or enticing.
The taste really wasn't all that much of an improvement, I'm sorry to report. Again, the heat from the alcohol held sway over all other flavors. Any other flavors were kind of stillborn and perfunctory. The malt aspect was subdued and wooden. The only spiciness to show up was the light taste of vanilla. The feel was the best thing going on and even that struck me as rather thin and slick.
The label states V-12 should be enjoyable up to five years from the date bottled. IMO it is barely hanging on at two, surprising considering the 12% ABV. I cared for the bottle well and doubt it was an "off" bottle. It didn't taste wrong, it just didn't taste like much of anything. If you have one (or more) cellared, you might want to try it now rather than wait.

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

750ml bottle (bottled on Oct 5 2007) that I've cellared for about a year, poured into my large St. Feuillien goblet, V-12 is a clear, still amber with a thin egg-shell collar, a bit cider like, but redder. Not what I look for in a quad, too light and basically no head.

Smell is slightly sweet, sour citrus, a bit off. Not too good, from cellar to room temp, it never improved, just a bit boozy.

Taste is better, a nice fruitiness, but still with a that sour citrus note that doesn't really work. Not a terrible beer, but a sub-par quad for sure. Really my gripe with both the aroma and taste is the citrus flavor dominating any esters or depth.

Mouthfeel is still and sticky, medium bodied.

Drinkability is ok, this isn't the greatest quad, really without any esters, it just a sugary BSPA that's not even that good for one of those. A bummer, I'd been sitting on it for so long, a gift from a close friend, I wish it was better. The ABV is well hidden, but also rather bruising. The label claims it can run for 5 years, and by the numbers (12% quad) I'd make the same guess, but at a little over 1 year old, it doesn't seem to be holding up well. That said, it could be in a lull phase and turn-around with more time, but it's my only bottle in the cellar, and not one I care to restock.

750 bottle.

Poured orange/amber with a very bright hue - pretty nice to see.

The smell was of sugar, alcohol and tropical fruits. Taste was a bit on the sweet side, with the eventual kick of hops to edge this. Howeverm, at 12% alcohol comes through more and more - especially as it warms.

I would drink this on the colder end, rather than waiting a bit for flavors to emerge. This is a great beer to age for some time before opening.

I'd suggest trying it for its style, as there aren't many out there. However, note that it is strong and very young at this point in time to enjoy. Buy one, but hold off on opening it.

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

I enjoyed this beer in the brewery restaurant served in a tulip glass.

Appearance - A lovely deep amber almost burgandy color with no head to speak of.

Smell - The alcohol smell is fainter than I would expect, masked by sweet molasses and honey odors. There is a slight oak smell as well.

Taste - The beer is very sweet, a caramel flavor dominates. Not a hint of hops or traditional malty tones. Has a light vanilla flavor and very faint spicy tone, perhaps cloves or allspice. Despite the 12 abv, the alcohol flavor was very well masked by the sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Thick and smooth, but only to the extent of what one would expect from a quadruple. Not very refreshing.

Drinkabilty - By far the worst aspect of the beer. My first sips were very good to me. Then our food arrived. I made a big mistake in ignoring the food pairing recommendations, but I really had to try the V-12. I found its character clashed very harshly with my dinner (a bruschetta pizza). The beer actually became very difficult to drink toward the bottom. This is not just a mistake I made however that tainted the rating, its flavor is too overpowering to be paired with almost any food. By itself, it does make a decent desert beer. Even without food pairing problems, at 12 abv the 750mL is a formidable task for anyone.

3.08/5  rDev -23.2%

Not my favorite Victory beer. Not that it's Victory's problem, I think that a Belgium quad in general, is just not my cup of tea, ahem, I mean beer.

Fruity flavors and a slight astringency of alcohol. Thick white head that dissipates with fine carbonation, champagne-like as another BA pointed out. Strong malt flavor comes through as well. All in all not a bad beer, recommended but not a must have.

3.1/5  rDev -22.7%

Aroma just barely above average in presence; really need to take a good strong whiff to get the scent, mostly of malts. Head and lace are minimal to non-existent, while the color is an unremarkable murky tan. Flavor is good at masking the high alcohol, which as a nice warming effect, but lacks complexity. Mouthfeel is about average. A decent beer, and one of the most quaffable for such high ABV, but I’m a bit surprised at the super high scoring...

3.12/5  rDev -22.2%

Bottle poured into a duvel tulip

A: Apricot in color (slightly a reddish amber). Pretty light for a quad that I typically like. Small tan head that poured about a half of a finger worth. Little lacing left on the glass.

S: Pretty surgery, more then most of the quads i have smelt. Slightly spicy that counters the small amount of dark fruits. Some other fruits such as cherry, banana and some pear are in there. Belgian yeastyness present in the beer.

T: Going along with the nose, dark fruits play with the palate but not as strong as i would like. Semi spiceyness along with strong Belgian yeast notes. Fairly sweet.

M: Fairly full bodied beer, not as carbonated as i would like to see in a quad. Alcohol fairly well hidden.

D: Fairly good quad, certainly not the best in show. Would love it to be darker with a bigger dark fruit character like it trappist counter parts.

3.14/5  rDev -21.7%

Appearance: This beer pours an almost hazy rustic orange color with a very thin head on it, and it left almost no lacing to speak of for the entire beer.
Smell: I first get an almost sweet floral scent coming in as I pour with strong bubble gum notes to it as well. As I get my nose into this beer the hot alcohol become very strong as well. As I let the beer warm it really came into its own with vibrant scents of pears, prunes, passion fruit, and a Belgian yeast strain that is typical of good Quads.
Taste: The first sip of this beer is almost over top in sweetness that tasted like concentrated apple juice. I really let the beer warm up and the flavors of the orchard fruit really came to life including apple, oranges, and peaches. The complex malt also brings on life of raisins and plums, cloves, nutmeg, and even cotton candy. The hot alcohol though is very apparent on the palate as well.
Mouthfeel: More than moderate carbonation brings the flavors to life, so that is welcomes, but the alcohol is very hot on the mouthfeel.
Drinkability: A whole bomber of this beer is a tough task for just one person, and the alcohol overtook some of the great qualities this beer had.

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

sticky lacing, huge head, nice label, yep I'm interested. High alcohol cuts down the retention. Creamy copper looking body.

tropical fruit aroma, belgian yeast, some citrus cleans up. Its a quad with wheels so to speak. Warming is massive and this brew is definately night capper material. Toffee and ever so slightly candied caramel. Alcohol serves as the balancing agent along with the underlying dried firewood. Holy drunken sauceface. After consuming this product I feel like I could ....ummm...could ummmm awww hell my ADD kicked in just in time to screw up a review. basically its too rough on the palate for me but whatever. Its a kick ass beer...average for the selections I've had.

Carbonation is a bit overkill. fizzy and annoying. like frickin pop rocks on the palate.

3.17/5  rDev -20.9%

Reviewed from a 750ml bottle on 12/29/04. Date bottled was August 27, 2004. Pours out a fairly clear amber color with a slight tan fizzy head that disappears quickly. No lace was left on the glass. Aroma was a light fruitiness mixed with sweet malts and a touch of spice. Unfortunately the alcohol was very evident in the aroma and came to dominate as it warmed. Sweet malt, a light spiciness and ripe fruits seem to be battling with the huge alcohol here in the taste. At first the strong alcohol was noticeable but as it warmed the alcohol makes this one pretty hard to finish. It didn’t seem like it was an off bottle, just that the alcohol was way to dominate. Mouthfeel was a little thinner than I would expect with a big warmth due to the alcohol. Drinkability was ok but hindered by the alcohol. I will probably give this one another chance in the future.

3.22/5  rDev -19.7%

22oz bomber bottled on Mar 29, 05

Looks good from the pour. Light translucent copper with aboverage head. Good for a quad. Head settle's but stays.

Dont get the smell. Smells like alchohol and yeast. Not what I was expecting.

Taste is somewhat vague and a bit alcoholy for my taste. Quite a bite. Initial taset is good, but disapaites rather quickly. Very much can taste the 12abv.

Mouthfeel is ok. Would like some more character and carbonation like some other quads.

Overall a nice beer. I think i would rather move forward from this beer than come back to it.

V-Twelve from Victory Brewing Company