V-Twelve - Victory Brewing Company

V-TwelveV-Twelve

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-18-2003)
3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

MMM..mmm the 2002 edition. Nice beer, you need to work this brew, but this is a nice, solid victory brew. Pours a nice, solid dark amber color. It has a semi-creamy head, and a nice solid lacing all the way down. It has a sweet, fruity, and sublty complex malty flavor to it. While there is a balanced hop after-taste, I feel the over whelming flavor is a sweet fruity malt.The hops are there, but it is a more barely-wine style belgian condiment to the malt then anything else. It its a well-blanced all around good beer, and, despite the strong taste to it, has a nice depth and balance then most others. well played indeed.

PSUDREW, Mar 14, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +3%

Poured into a goblet a nice light amber color but it had bits of floaties in it probably from my pouring and unsettling some yeast sediment on the bottom.

Decently carbonated beer with a nice mouth tingle either from some carbonation or the decent alcohol content of this brew. A nice belgian style without the medicinaly phenolic overtones. There are nice roasted malt undertones as well as a subtle cherry or fruityness that is very slight.

A nice brew yet again from the folks at Victory this one being my last straight from the brewery as I am now stuck in missouri and away from all the great NE beers.

koolkat, Mar 07, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a deep chestnut with a dense white head that is mostly diminishing but does leave a solid spider web lace all over the glass.

Snickerdoodle cookies, pears, mellow floral hops, and apricots up front, melted candy in the mid-palate and cherries, apples and red licorice on the finish.

Very smooth but still heavy in the mouth. This is amazingly complex and a phenomenal ale.

Crosling, Feb 13, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

Milestone - Beer review #200
2003 edition
Pours a deep orange and amber hued nectar. Big white head creeps down slowly leaving minor lace residue on the chalice.
Aroma is amazing ! Heavy grapefruit, green apple, melon and orange with some sweet darker malts in the background.
Flavor is incredibly sweet citrus. Can tell this is heavily hopped but this is one citrusy puppy. Biscuit and darker malts come out as the beer warms and opens up. Phenomenal taste, incredibly unique.
Mouthfeel is wonderful only reason it doesn't get a 5.0 is that it is a touch too sweet, the pucker factor is high.
Drinkability is very high for a 12% ABV beer, no way this 12%, just too tasty and refreshing to that high. This is lethal, probably shouldn't be legal that is so refreshing and such high ABV.
Thanks to beerluvr for this beauty.

CRJMellor, Feb 01, 2004
4.78/5  rDev +19.2%

2002 750ml bottle: High expectations for this beer. A good "POP" from the cork when it was pulled. It pours a slightly orangish color. Some head, but it dissapates quickly. Sweet nose of caramel, fruit and yeast. Taste is sweet, with fruits, as well as some caramel. A hint of sourness. The first taste was very good, and it got better from there. A fabulous brew. A great way to watch the snow fall!

Boto, Dec 14, 2003
4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Ok. It's December the 12th. I just finished working a 12-hour day. I have 12 hours of OT thus far this week. And I'm working the next 12 consecutive days. So a co-worker asks me what I'm doing to celebrate 12-12 (the power of 12 is a running joke at the plant, as most shop personnel work five 12 hour days every week). That's when it hits me: V-12.

I pour about 12 ounces of this anticipated beer (been in the stash since April) into my glass. Deep amber liquids casts a slight warmth of red, topped by a cream colored head. It is rare to see a beer this beautiful. A nice spicy nose greets me, with strong coriander and a subtle fruitiness. Hints of yeast round out the basic but enticing aroma. The first sip reveals a very nice fruitiness. Pear notes first, but then a subtle over-ripened plum flavor kicks in. These fruit flavors start out strong and remain so, but then more of a honeyed note slips in. All is balanced by a bitterness of hops, but it is very light and offers an even subtler component to the flavor. The finish is long, and offers an encore of all the flavors once again.

The mouthfeel is very well done as well. The body has very little weight to it, but it has character. It adds to the experience with the fine carbonation and slightly syrupy caresses. Drinakbility is scary. There is no way this is 12% ABV! I've had 8% beers that were much heavier with alcohol-relates esters. I expect to finish this bottle in short order.

I really like this beer. This is one I should have bought a case of in the spring. Victory makes many solid beers, and this is definitely one of them. I will be checking out the rest of the future V series offerings. If you have any of this, feel special. If you see any, buy it without hesitation. Fantastic stuff.

aaronh, Dec 13, 2003
3.4/5  rDev -15.2%

750ML corked and caged bottle says bottled on 3/11/03. Cork says 2002. Pours a clear coppery amber. Beige head quickly disappears and lace is nonexistent. Nose is subdued, but fruitiness is definitely present.
Grabs your attention in the mouth with carbonation, sweet malts, heavy hitting alcohol, and syrupy sweetness. Hops eventually creep into the tastebuds.

This is my first Victory, so I didn't have a clue what to expect. The label says Belgian inspired ale, but I don't get the connection with this big boy. Syrupy sweet fruitiness dominates. Too sweet for my palate. Maybe this one will improve with age, but I'm not impressed overall.

merlin48, Nov 15, 2003
3.93/5  rDev -2%

2002 Vintage corked 750ml. Initial pour quite fizzy and sounding like the ocean. Nice amber colored and clear but with no head. Seems highly carbonated. Spicy fruity aroma with noticible alcohol. Very sharp mouthfeel and a warming effect from alcohol.Flavor is malty and fruity with a hint of caramel. Overall not a bad offering. Just a bit too fizzy for the style in my opinion. Also little retention in this one.

BierReise, Nov 05, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: gorgeous ruby/ garnet hue, and a short-lived white head.

Aroma: fruit and magic, liquor and glory, sweetness and divinity, happiness, deliriousness, syrupy, sexy, and altogether unworldly! Angelic!

Taste: good, tingly, tasty hops, thick, luscious, lasting malt....mmmm, tasty...Big fruit, big flavor...12%, I didn't feel it at all!...THUD!
No, it's not tasted, but it does it's damage! (The powerful booze, I mean)

This was a magnificent ale, that I downed too quickly, and could've benefited from more time to mature, and perhaps the right conditions to consume it, but it was damned good,right here, right now!

Thanks to jcalbi for providing!

feloniousmonk, Oct 31, 2003
3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

Got a bottle that had an old cork in it i.e. was bottled on March 11 2003 but the cork was dated 2002 and as such was the first time ive seen this happen. Smelled of grain that had been soaked in alcohol with a slight breadiness. Tasted good with a slight kirschwasser on the rocks flavor followed along a slighty sweet malt suger flavor no hops at all to speak of. Mouthfull isnt all that full but the alcohol which is highly noticable makes it a tad thicker to throw back. Drinkability wise this beer is good for the 750 and you wont want to have much else unless your drunkard.

leeenglewood, Oct 07, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

750ml bottle. Bottled date 11 Mar 03, cork imprinted with the year 2002.

Hmmm, I’m not quite sure what to think of this one yet. Lemme think…about it a few minutes. Until then, it pours a nice burn orange color with a bubbly white head that fades away quickly. There’s a large amount of fine little carbonation bubbles just fizzing away in the glass. The aroma is very complex, each time I take a whiff, and I smell something different. The first aroma is a mild and sweet yeast bread followed by a hint of citrus fruit. Upon the second smell, I picked up a mixture of caramel and candied yams. All of the aromas were intermixed with a perfect medley of alcohol and sweet malt. Upon first tasting the alcohol makes it’s presence well known, there’s nothing subtle about it, it’s extremely warming as it flows down my esophagus into my belly. The follow-on flavors were a very nice balance of spicy coriander sweet toasted malts, and just a hint of brown sugar. The mouthfeel is very nice. It’s very well balanced. The only downfall is the high carbonation level tends to disturb my tongue from picking up a lot of the flavors that I detected with my nose. This is definitely an absolutely wonderful brew from the folks at Victory. I could definitely see myself buying this one again and again. Yep, I absolutely love this beer…

Scooter77, Sep 14, 2003
3.35/5  rDev -16.5%

I originally sampled this beer on 18 May 2003. I am writing this review from my notes.
burnt orange color w/ a very sweet flavor, this is a sipping beer. In my opinion, to enjoy this beer, you have to be in the mood to sit back and take your time w/ it.

jcalabre, Sep 03, 2003
3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Served in the 750 mL bottle. The appearance was a darker amber with some head. The smell was very alcoholic. The taste was very flowery and sweet, and the alcohol was VERY present. Mouthfeel was somewhat smooth. Drinkability-wise, finishing the 750 mL was probably enough.

I'd been looking forward to trying the V-12, and it may have disappointed a little, but it wasn't terrible. I think a little more aging could make this a tremendous treat.

beergeek279, Aug 18, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

750 ml bottle, corked & caged style.

This beer poured into the glass a golden amber color that was clear but yeast was present that became more noticeable and turned the clear into a haze by the end of the glass. It produced a white foamy head that seemed to come and go fairly fast, leaving a light ring on the edges of the liquid. No lace present. Decent carbonation. The aromas that came from the glass were of fresh hops, pine needles, wood, lots of fruit (apples, pears, sugar coated berries), sweet malt, warming alcohol, yeast, candy sugar, and a hint of spices (pepper, fresh cilantro). Moderately sweet aroma mixed with a warming alcohol made the aroma a very good experience. I liked this beer already, and didn’t even take a sip as of yet. As I took my first sip I noticed sweet malts and sugars first as it eased into the other flavors that were all warmed by the warmth of alcohol. Flavors of sweet fruit (berries, apples, some citrus tones), fresh hops, some floral hops, spices (fresh cilantro, pepper –white and green), pine, some barrel wood (aging barrel - bourbon), and yeast all blended very well together. Medium bodied. Good balance of flavors. Complex and easy to drink, I was surprised d/t the alcohol content and the age. I rather enjoyed the sweet qualities of this beer though. With time this beer will only become better, smoother, more complex as the flavors meld together and balance each other out even more. Glad I have one in the cellar aging.

Jarod, Jul 28, 2003

This is good but I don't dabble in Belgians too much. I find Victory to be making quite good beers and decided to give this a shot. I don't like this style of beer but they seemed to hit it right on. The alcohol is strong and very prevalant throughout. The sweetness is overwhelming but par for the course I think. The interesting thing about this beer is that it is quite drinkable. I find this style to be hard to drink but this has enough consistency and very little imperfections that make it easy to drink. Don't get me wrong, there is some burn but it is good.

Maestro, Jul 18, 2003
3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

A big head disappears pretty quickly. Mid-tone brown -- stained wood color with a slightly reddish streak. Smells of candy apples; sweetened, pickled veggies; and pumpkin pie spiciness. A sugar sweet flavor with hints of sweet potatoes yields to a brief blast of peppered flavor with a highly alcoholic finish.

This one is middling in its drinkability. At 12%, it's hard to expect a well-hidden abv. And in this case, the alcohol drives the sweetness past interesting and into overwhelming. This could really benefit from toning that alcoholic flavor back just a couple notches.

marburg, Jul 16, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

After a dissappointing V-10, Victory seems to be back on tract. Pours with a nice amber color with a head that disappears quickly. The aroma is fruity and yeasty, The taste is the same with some alcohol as well). With a beer this drinkable it would be wise to be carefull. At 12% alcohol, this is a powerful beer.

dmarch, Jun 30, 2003
4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

March 11, 2003 bottling.

Pours clear copper in color with a off-white head that fades to a thin colar in a minute or so. Strong carbonation keeps it fed.
Brown sugar, sweet malts and berries dominate the aroma. The alcohol is there, but seems well hidden.
The first sip is fairly sweet and malty. "Belgian" style yeast. Very smooth. The alcohol is apparent but not overpowering at all. Leaves a nice warm & fuzzy feeling--the warm comes now, but I'm sure at 12% ABV, the fuzzy will take effect by the time I finish this bottle. A light toastiness comes into play mid-glass as the beer warms a bit. The second pour from the bottle yields no dregs, even though the bottle warns of them. I honestly don't see any sediment in the bottle either. Finishes more glorious than it began. The label says "Liquid Luxury" and I have to agree.
I could drink this beer every day, but alas, I have only one bottle left. Anyone want to take bets as to how long it lasts?

cretemixer, Jun 22, 2003
4.13/5  rDev +3%

Purchased in Boston the weekend of the AoBF...

Corked 750ml bottle with a bottled on date of Mar 11 03...

Appearance: After using a pair of pliers to pull the (pain-in-the-ass) cork out, this brew pours a warm reddish-orange with a steady stream of carbonation bubbles. What starts as a small tan head quickly fades to a thin cap. Minimal lacing and retention.

Smell: The aroma is sweet and fruity with a whiff of alcohol that I can feel in my nose. Dark sugar, banana, coriander, caramel, yeast, and tropical fruits drift in and out, teasing my nose.

Taste: Starts off with a big blast of spicy, fruity sweetness with lots of raw sugar and tropical fruits. Suggestions of banana and faint apple. The spiciness continues, only to be greeted by a smooth yeastiness, and a bit of coriander. Towards the end, the hops finally show themselves with a fleeting bitterness. Finishes with a wave of alcoholic warmth that shoots through my entire body.

Mouthfeel: The body is slighty syrupy, which is offset quite well by the heavy carbonation. A bit on the chewy side. The alcohol dries out the finish, in both taste and feel.

Drinkability: While 'drinkable' isn't the first word this beer calls to mind due to it's strength, it is quite a tasty Belgian-style ale. I wish I could get a few bottles to cellar until the holiday season, but this one is sadly not available in the Midwest. What a shame...I'd love to see what a bit of aging would do to it.

MJR, Jun 17, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

750ml bottled 3/11/03. Worked the caged cork a little then twisted it out. No problem here.

Pours a beautiful clear amber with a bubbly white head that leaves rapidly. Aroma is warm and inviting, some sweetness with toasty and fruity malts.

Taste is quite sweet initally, and there is a good deal of carbonation. Sweetness lingers followed by fruity malts. Hints of banana, apple and a little alcohol. Some hop balance is noted here as well. More flavors and complexities present themselves as it warms.

At 12% abv, this one's a powerhouse. Careful, 'cause it goes down easy! Probably best shared with a friend or loved one. My only gripe would be the sweetness - a bit too sugary. As this one seems to get better with time in just one sitting, I'd like to cellar one for a few years and see how it matures. Another fine offering from Victory!

Stingray5, Jun 17, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Notes: 750ml bottle, corked and caged! 2002 release...

Excellent! After the bad 750's of both GM and V-10 that I have recently drank. I expected the worse out of V-12. Instead of the worst, I got one of the best. This dark belgian ale, poured a dark, chocolate, brown colour with an ample tan head. the aromas were of dark belgian malts, yeast, sugar, various spices, alcohol, and more. The taste was more of the above. Yeasty, spicy, alcoholic, just plain "yummy". The mouthfeel is very thick and the drinkability is awesome for a 12%abv brew. Just beware of this beast, it is quite hard to tame!

Cheers!
-F

francisweizen, Jun 13, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a brilliant reddish orange with minimal head and lacing. Aroma is sweet malts and fruit (mainly apricots) with a whiff of alcohol. This is a big beer with big flavors. Initial impression is of an over the top belgian yeastiness with some candy sugar and loads of fruitiness. V-12 doesn't pretend to hide the alcohol either. A nice burn with every sip. Subtle piney hops are there to subdue the sweetness. This is a nice evening sipping beer. A fine brew from Victory, just not as complex and sophisticated as the top Belgians.

QXSTER1, Jun 04, 2003
4.05/5  rDev +1%

I have been anticipating the sampling of this beer for some time now, I just wish that I wouldn't have. Sometimes I think you can build up a beer so much in your head sometimes that there are preconcieved notions of how the beer should be. Here are my notes from a bottle I split with a friend at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse. Appears a copper amber with a full white head in my goblet. Flavor is a rolling malt barrage with hints of hops and one very pleasant yeast profile of spiced up notes. Some fruit tones wrapped in candied sugar. Mouthfeel is full with buttery tones and this beer is warming with a good amount of carbonation. The only thing that keeps this beer from becoming a session beer other than the price tag is the 12 % alcohol. I liked and enjoyed but I wasn't overly impressed definitely will try again.

WVbeergeek, Jun 03, 2003
3.43/5  rDev -14.5%

This is very light, like a pale ale. Pours a creamy, thin head. Not much to say for the aroma. Not much there, but mostly sweet smelling, and a little medicinal. Tasty, but sweet, (I mean sugary sweet) and also very strong. Some berry flavors, too. The sugar feel and alcohol taste dominate.

dwarbi, May 19, 2003
4.05/5  rDev +1%

Pours a medium copper in color, medium off-white head, quickly diminishes to minimal lacing. Some small particles float about in the body, dodging the medium sized carbonation bubbles that are making their way to the top. Aroma is banana, spices, light hints of alcohol, apple, pinepple. Flavor is quite sweet, lots of fruits, some spicyness. Body is quite full, tons of different flavors come through, and get stronger and more plentiful as the brew warms. Quite good now, and will most likely get better as it sits a while.

goz, May 06, 2003