V-Twelve - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-18-2003

4.26/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Has a nice golden red look, almost an amber. Pours with a thin head that disappears after a few minutes. Lacing isn't very prominent.

S: Hoppy, copperish, malty, some fruity tones

T: A somewhat malty, slightly hoppy flavor. Definite alcohol present (obvious that this would be the case given the content). Balances well with the flavor. Leaves a bit of a bitter, candied fruit tast on the palate.

M: Slides over the tongue with carbonation. A bit of a light feel on the tongue, but goes down with a nice little warm tingle.

D: This is definitely a great beer. Don't know that I could do more than one in a night due to ABV but most definitely something I'm gonna have to clear out from the local distributor seeing as how this puppy's gone forever.

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%

Number 6 from a case of 12 -- corked 750 ml

Looks: A beautiful deep orange even in a thin tumbler. Mountainous, rocky head that lasts. Exquisite lacing -- Quite attractive all around.

Smell: Very deep, very seductive. Lots of complex sugars make the aroma intriguing. The darkest berries, such as Boysen and Black are all over the place. Toffee is there -- cooked sugar. Quite nice.

Taste: Sweet. Loads of unfermentables are left over in this one and there are seemingly everywhere at once. Dextrin city, and never cloying. An Excellent after-beer beer, as this one is a closer. At 12% abv, the alcohol -- rather than say hops -- cuts the sweet just about perfectly. Just enough heat. Maybe slightly solvent. Tiny bitterness, and that's fine for the style.

Mouthfeel: Decadence. Thick and full and perfectly fizzed and... just the best. This is why we drink beer.

Overall: A treat of a beer. I recommend doing nothing but smelling V12 for a few minutes before you even bother with taking a drink. Savor this fine American interpretation of a great style. Just watch out for the 12% because it will put you on the floor. Victory!

2.97/5  rDev -25.8%

A: Orange-brown, some head/lace, no retention.

S: Spicy raisins and sherry.

T: Spicy, prunes, strong/warming alcohol in the aftertaste.

M: Moderate body, high carbonation.

D: This is boardering on the line of being a malt liquor. The alcohol is readily apparant.

Thanks Len!

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

This pours a dark reddish amber,but the heads a little small,one finger.I did have to pour a little carefully as not to get yeast in my glass,so take that small head into account.This has a deep rich malty spice filled aroma.
the taste is fantastic.This is a very malty flavored beer.There is a little alcohol warmth at the end that glows in your stomach.this has a full heavy m/f that totally dominates your mouth.
I'm a sad that this has been retired because this is another great beer by Victory.

4.28/5  rDev +7%

750 ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a deep ressish golden color, like mahogany wood witha a huge foamy off white head. The lace begins forming as the head begins to dissipate.

S - A beautiful, candy fruit aroma. Some grapes with an alcohol hint and candy sugar.

T - Definitely an alcoholic flavor in there along with some candied sweetness. Some maltiness at the end keeps it nicely balanced. There's a slighthoppiness in there along with a touch of spiciness. Very nice.

M - Holy bubbles!!! Definitely more carbonated than any other quad I've tried and Iike it. I don't necessarily know if it's a good thing or a bad thing for other fans of the style but generally when a beer has an unexpected characteristic I find it as a plus (as long as it's not offensive obviously) so I definitely liek the mouthfeel on this one.

D - This one definitely leaves you wanting more on each sip. A highly drinkable quad. I'll grab another one of these to share with friends sometime if I can still find it.

4.11/5  rDev +2.8%

This bottle of V-12 has been in my cellar for 3 years. The reason I know is the cork said 2002 on it when I popped it off. In all that time it has not lost any of its character.

The beer poured a hazy mahogney color with a frothy tan head on top. The foam fadded rather quickly leaving a thick ring around the surface and a few spots of lace on the side of the glass. Above the beer floated a fruity aroma of grapes and raisins, with some clove, alcohol and sugar candy mixed in.

Each sip of this full bodied beer leaves a nice firm carbonated tingle on the palate. The flavor begins fruity with some grape and raisin notes. Towards the middle some clove and allspice tastes move in and it finished with some alcohol and a slight medicine flavor. There's a sweet caramel malt taste in the background holding it all together.

For a 3 year old beer this one is wonderful. The flavor, carbonation and alcohol all presented themselves with each sip. I think this beer would do well cellared for even 5 or more years.

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle, corked and caged, bottled on date March, 29, 2005

Slightly cloudy, rich deep mahogany red with a huge tan head. Tons of healthy looking bubble strings in there.

Malty, musty, thick and wet in the nose. Dark fruit, spice and a woody quality. Beautiful. Mouth watering.

Sweet and alcoholic, plum, grape and raisen. Rich and vinous with a lasting sugary sweetness and a warming alcohol that bubbles right to the beer center of my brain.

Lively carbonation, slick and oily at the same time. Full in the mouth and thickening after the swallow. Very gratifying feel.

A big, big beer. Brings to mind St. Bernardus Abbot 12. Full-grown, no holding back beer. Probably not for the inexperienced, although my 4-foot-9 wife, who is only recently a craft beer drinker, loved it. Try some.

4.2/5  rDev +5%

this one pours a reddish brown with minimal head.

The aroma is of dark fruit and alcohol.

The taste follows the nose mostly. I get a lot of darker variety fruits like figs, dates, and such. There is some sweet malt with a good amount of alcohol presence as well. Its a very good tasting beer overall.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with light to medium carbonation.

I would say this is a great drinkable beer for a quadruple. I highly recommend this beer.

4.82/5  rDev +20.5%

On my first visit to the Linwood Grill in Boston, BeerPanther, Knuckles and I were lucky enough to experience this little bit of perfection.

I should note here that what we were drinking had been cellared for over a year - and man, did that do good things.

Folks, this is what good beer tastes like. Just a fantastic beer.

Caramel coloring and a beautiful frothy head that lingers down into a splotchy thin layer across the top. Nice lacing that wicks up the side of the glass after each sip.

I think I probably kept my nose in the glass for about 10 minutes before actually sipping this. What a variety of flavors. I could swear this is Belgian. Plums, raisins, candy, bread - I was picking up new levels and layers with each sniff.

What happened in the nose happened two or three times over in the taste. Like a really really good-tasting roller coaster. Aside from the variety of amazingly balanced flavors listed above, what really got me was how long a back-end this thing had. Again, I was just sitting there noticing the evolving flavors for at least a full minute between sips.

If this beer was a woman, I would be arrested for stalking. I need me another taste.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Purchased on 7/30/05 at Whole Foods in Pasadena for $8.49.

Appearance: Poured from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle into a 25 oz crystal sniffer glass. Bottle says "Bottled March 29 05." Slightly cloudy reddish orange color with a creamy light tan head. Good retention and lacing on the glass.

Smell: Sweet fruity malt aroma with light yeasty scent. Slight graham cracker scent with a bit of floral scent.

Taste: Convuluted sweet fruit flavor topped with dry and tart maltiness. Lots of spice including nutmeg, pepper, and sage along with light citrus flavors. A phenolic starchiness gives the beer more body but takes away from the nice maltiness. This beer finishes with a sweet aftertaste and a lasting alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and medium bodied. Though syrupy it actually has a watery ending. Lingering and cloying syrup feel.

Drinkability: I guess this one just ain't for me. Something seems out of whack and uncomfortable about this beer. The malt profile is nice and spicy and fruity yeat flavors are great too. But the syrupy sweetness and weird mouthfeel just overpower the good things. They're on the right track with this one, but I think it could still use some work. At this point though, I wish I'd had my 8 bucks back.

3.05/5  rDev -23.8%

I enjoyed this beer in the brewery restaurant served in a tulip glass.

Appearance - A lovely deep amber almost burgandy color with no head to speak of.

Smell - The alcohol smell is fainter than I would expect, masked by sweet molasses and honey odors. There is a slight oak smell as well.

Taste - The beer is very sweet, a caramel flavor dominates. Not a hint of hops or traditional malty tones. Has a light vanilla flavor and very faint spicy tone, perhaps cloves or allspice. Despite the 12 abv, the alcohol flavor was very well masked by the sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Thick and smooth, but only to the extent of what one would expect from a quadruple. Not very refreshing.

Drinkabilty - By far the worst aspect of the beer. My first sips were very good to me. Then our food arrived. I made a big mistake in ignoring the food pairing recommendations, but I really had to try the V-12. I found its character clashed very harshly with my dinner (a bruschetta pizza). The beer actually became very difficult to drink toward the bottom. This is not just a mistake I made however that tainted the rating, its flavor is too overpowering to be paired with almost any food. By itself, it does make a decent desert beer. Even without food pairing problems, at 12 abv the 750mL is a formidable task for anyone.

3.47/5  rDev -13.3%

I drove out to the Whole Foods in Pasadena to get this one. I'd never tried anything from the renown Victory Brewery before my schlep.

The beer pours an off-amber color with a big head that disappears all too quickly. I smell Grand Marnier, sugar/candy and the 12% alcohol. Some spice works its way into the taste as well as a hint of sweet malts, adding to the Grand Marnier and alcohol.

V-12 looses its carbonation way too fast compared to the time it takes to finish a 750ml bottle, so there is the good, freshly poured ale and the sub-par flat stuff that you end up with.

[I've been watching my DVD of "The Office" while tasting this brew and if any of you Brits can exlpain the Peter Purves/Mr. Noakes joke to me, I'd appreciate it.]

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

March 29, 2005 bottling...extremely charged bottle (at least it didn't gush), huge head of two inches of delicate mousse-like foam on a careful pour. Oxidized nectarine color, tons of rushing bubbles inside the glass. Wide by relatively sparse laces. Nice aroma, spiced apricots, stewed prunes, a bit of a honey quality. Body is about medium, carbonation is sprightly and effervescent. The flavor is too tinged with alcohol, some underlying senses of the apricot of the aroma, bitter orange extract, and slightly scouring hops help -- but the finish is quite bitter and overly hot at the back. Frankly, this one is a bit too much, the nice aroma and generous carbonation are what makes it decently balanced as an overall drink, but it does wind out its carbonation in about half an hour. Maybe this might age to a mellower product.

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

Corked & caged 750 ml
Bottled on March 29, '05

Initial pour is dark orange and hazy, capped with two+ fingers of dense light orange / tan foam with a rapid dissipatoin rate.

Nose is thick malt and loaded with alcoholic phenols. Further inspection of the aromatics show traces of cherries, plums, and candied sugars.

Entry is silky smooth with just a touch of carbonation showing on the back of the tongue. Midtaste begins with a brief flash of alcohol closely followed by sugary fruits, burnt malt, and candi sugar. The finish enters with a sharp hop bite followed by a long deep malt fade with the alcohol warming the back of the throat.

3.55/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Bottled on Mar 29 05 750ml tall brown glass Bottle, Corked and restrained with a gold colored metal cap and cage.

Appearance: The gun smoke still rises from the neck of the bottle as the first pour from the 750 settles in my Duvel glass. Massive off-white head at first, starts as a very smooth deep foamy covering, but it soon settles to a well aerated cream colored honeycomb which eventually settles and given time leaves a broken covering. The rusty amber body flashes a mixture of orange and red shadows on my desk. Nice selection of rising bubbles punctuate the glass constantly, whilst a gentle swirl reveals that the dissolved carbonation is a little clumpy and low on resistivity when it comes to staying in solution. Once poured the V-12 soon looses its sparkle and can quickly look flat.

Nose: Aggressive feel to the nose, but not off-putting. Sugar sweet boiled candy immediately assaults in the front end whilst some malts struggle to fight through in the middle. Caramel and light aroma of distilled orange juice mixes with alcohol in the finish.

Taste: Toasted malts with a little spicy zest to the zinging middle. As it rescinds the alcohol is faintly detectable and warms a little in the finish. Things are Ok until I get a lot of high octane orange liquor syrup in the finish, this does start to detract from the feel of this one as it finishes with a sweet candy malt ending.

Mouthfeel: Of course the 12% comes through, but it well hidden. Sadly though as I work my way through the 750, like a leaking pipe the alcohol seems to find the weak link and quickly breaks through the cracks that are papered over. Has a delicate sweetness that eventually becomes a tacky sticky finish on the lips after the swallow.

Drinkability: It is a weekday night and I have a whole 750ml of this 12% Quad to polish off, glad it is Friday tomorrow.. I didn’t really have a problem doing so, even given its rather sickly sweet candy nose and start, the high alcohol and fading rapidly disappearing carbonation, the latter is probably the biggest let down and the one thing that eventually draws this one back from being a comatosing libation.

Overall: Erm, not that sure about this one. Hey, it’s Victory V-12 and I looked forward to cracking this one – but it is not the huge classic brew I was led to believe it was. I also always thought that this would be one to age, but I guess from what I just tasted and witnessed it isn’t. Cost $7.99, and given the distance from the source and strength it is not that expensive, but I’m not sure I would pop the greenbacks for one of these again. Not bad, but certainly not the “great” brew many told me it was, it lacks complexity and definition, in fact it’s a little rough around the edges and worse it suffers from poor carbonation and that annoying orange syrup ending. Drink it fresh once bottled and drink it quickly once poured would be my advice.

3.55/5  rDev -11.3%

A friend of mine was kind enough to bring out a bottle during a recent backyard barbecue, so I told him that I would write a review, but frankly, I am sitting on mine to let them mature somewhat. I will review this beer again, but not soon.

It poured with a semi-frothy white head that utterly disintigrated into wispiness. It was a deep golden/amber color with great clarity. The nose gave off notes of cherries and melon. The drawback for me was the mouthfeel, which was simply way too hot. It also had a nice creaminess to it, but the heat and intensity of the alcohol made it difficult to really tatse much. I tried, believe me, and I will try again, but I think that this is a beer that could do with some maturation time.

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%

The large bottle, 2002 edition. Pours with little head and no staying power, or it would have been a 5. A beautiful deep amber color, simply gorgeous. Smell is malty with undertones of cedar, notable alcohol. Now the test.

We will preface with the fact that I usually don't like my beer this strong. First sip. Good. Nice. Solid. Second sip. Better. much better. really finishes nicely. Complex, lots to note. Fruit after the malt, sweetness at the end, almost sugery, but not in a bad way. This beverage got better as I drank it, and I don't think it was because it got me drunk. Dcent if not great carbonation, belieing the absence of head, this continued to stimulate after swallowing. At 12%, not a beer to drink all day and night, but I sure could have more of it.

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a transparent burgundyish auburn color. Tons and tons of bubbles sit afloat with a small layer of foam on top. Minimal lacing. Aroma is boozy at first then becomes sweeter and fruitier then ultimately becomes drier with a little sting in there. I'm reminded of the peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich I had an hour earlier every time I take a whiff. Taste gives me more malty sweetness but hardly any residual sugars. More just of a nice fruity flavor along with a sweet liquer taste. Alcohol esters are there but controlled marvelously. Hops are basically not providing any bitterness but I think they're holding the sweetness back and giving more of a dry fruity flavor and I thank them for giving this beer balance. But the main base flavor is a yeasty sweetness. I don't really know how to describe it but the yeast gives a depth nicely and a little spice. It could still use a little more body and viscosity and maybe more complexity. Finish lingers and lingers. Belly warming. Quite well made and quite enjoyable.

4.54/5  rDev +13.5%

2002 edition, 750ml corked and caged. Pours with a head about 1/8" deep that reduces quickly to a thin spread of whitish film. No real viscosity to the deep, pure copper-colored liquid. Smells okay--not too special--like slightly sour apple skins and a vaguely white-winey grapeyness. Cordial notes come through in the finish, like brandy and lemon. The nosefeel is thin, vinous, and cutting with alcohol's cold heat. At first the flavors strike me as being simple. Like, "hm... fruit." And then, just as I'm about to stop paying attention, "fruit" becomes "dried apples, mandarin oranges, raisins..." Fruit, and overflowing baskets of it. Every flavor, from black cherry to banana, is soaked in layers of alcohol and medicine, warming to become bitter like honeyed herbal tea. Fantastically dry mouthfeel, alcoholically thin and warm, evaporates into the tongue but leaves the tastes behind to be savored. Points go to the drinkability just for the sheer polish of it all. Drink with care. After the first half of the bottle I was feeling pretty good. After the second half, I wasn't feeling much of anything at all. Great stuff. It was worth the wait.

4.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle from the new back room of the Linwood Cafe in Boston. Thanks Denali for buying this one for the table. Damn fine choice. This bottle was just about a year old.

Nice copper/amber appearance. Offwhite/tan head and nice lacing.
Unintrusive smell, sweetness and caramel abound.

The taste surpassed even my already high expectations. Sweet caramel with fruitiness mixed in, a very fine representation of a quad, in my book at least. Smooth, port like mouthfeel. Damn I want another bottle.

Not going to be able to drink a whole lot of this at a time, but if you see a bottle of this don't deny yourself the absolute pleasure of trying it.

4.87/5  rDev +21.8%

I had been eyeing this bottle for a while, and finally bought it after a nice 11 hour shift at work. Pours a brilliant copper broown color, with lots of carbonation visible. Head is small, but resilient. Smells fruity and earthy, like a fine belgian ale, with strong wiffs of alcohol. Taste is absolutely intense. Fula dn rich, lots of carbonationa and alcohol to leave your lips and mouth tingling. Funky and sweet, with well calculated hops that blend in and enhance the alcohol in the beer. An absolute ride of a beer, big and ballsy, what I expect from Victory.

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a clear amber-red with an almost non-existent head and very little lacing. Smell is sweet like candied sugar, with some banana, grapefruit, and a litlte alchohol coming through. Taste is wonderful---a big creamy malty flavor dominates There is a surprising light hops presence, along with expected cloves, sweet fruits, and alchohol. This is a thick full bodied beer with a medium/light level of carbonation that works just fine. This is a great tasting beer, and the only thing that lowers its drinkability is the high alcohol which you really start feeling after a bomber.

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

I remember not liking this beer. Lets see what another few months have done to it. It pours a bright copper color with a 2-3 finger head that falls to about a finger over top, with a nice bubbly off the bottom that keeps it heady. The nose is raisiney and spicey, with an underlying caramel and brown sugar sweetness and a wisp of alcohol playing underneath it all. Not too shabby. The flavor is pretty nice. I get a rum-soaked raisins, brown sugar sweetness, spiceyness and alcohol that play very well together. I even get a touch of orange citrusyness in there. The brew is moderately thick, with a slight syrupyness to it. It is very warming in the stomach and esophagus. I find this to be very easy to quaff for a 12% alcohol beer. My mind has been changed about this brew. Its pretty nice if you ask me.

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

A thin, yet creamy slightly off white head that led to thin and layered lacing throughout the glass. A very crisp, glowing light orange with some sediment.

A candied, lightly caramel malt sweetness in addition to some very complex fruity esters: sour apple, orange, touch of lemon, grapefruit, even some vinous aromatics. For a quad at 12% abv, the aroma of alcohol is well hidden.

Caramel, sugared maltiness that balances very well with this ale's fruity profile. Dark grapes, roasted cherries, and a touch of tartness: orange/apple. Finishes dry with a minor wave of carbonation. The aftertaste is vinous and sugary-sweet.

Medium bodied pushing full; creamy, smooth, and warming on the palate.

This was a very nice treat, but at 12% abv it's tough to have more than one or two glasses. A quad to be shared.

4.57/5  rDev +14.3%

The pour results in a slight head but it's a little cold. The nose comes up as spicy and the first taste is fruity. Then the alcohol dances past the back of my tongue and around the top of my throat. Hey...it says V12 on the bottle so I expect alcohol. It is well accompanied by flavor and smell.

The head is a ring now and the beer is a beautiful clear copper. The next taste nets a slight tartness that moves into sweet. This beer has a lot going on. It is very drinkable now. I couldn't think it could become more beguiling with more age. I will buy more to share. It will close a meal well.

V-Twelve from Victory Brewing Company