V-Twelve - Victory Brewing Company

V-TwelveV-Twelve

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-18-2003)
3.55/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Bottled on Mar 29 05 750ml tall brown glass Bottle, Corked and restrained with a gold colored metal cap and cage.

Appearance: The gun smoke still rises from the neck of the bottle as the first pour from the 750 settles in my Duvel glass. Massive off-white head at first, starts as a very smooth deep foamy covering, but it soon settles to a well aerated cream colored honeycomb which eventually settles and given time leaves a broken covering. The rusty amber body flashes a mixture of orange and red shadows on my desk. Nice selection of rising bubbles punctuate the glass constantly, whilst a gentle swirl reveals that the dissolved carbonation is a little clumpy and low on resistivity when it comes to staying in solution. Once poured the V-12 soon looses its sparkle and can quickly look flat.

Nose: Aggressive feel to the nose, but not off-putting. Sugar sweet boiled candy immediately assaults in the front end whilst some malts struggle to fight through in the middle. Caramel and light aroma of distilled orange juice mixes with alcohol in the finish.

Taste: Toasted malts with a little spicy zest to the zinging middle. As it rescinds the alcohol is faintly detectable and warms a little in the finish. Things are Ok until I get a lot of high octane orange liquor syrup in the finish, this does start to detract from the feel of this one as it finishes with a sweet candy malt ending.

Mouthfeel: Of course the 12% comes through, but it well hidden. Sadly though as I work my way through the 750, like a leaking pipe the alcohol seems to find the weak link and quickly breaks through the cracks that are papered over. Has a delicate sweetness that eventually becomes a tacky sticky finish on the lips after the swallow.

Drinkability: It is a weekday night and I have a whole 750ml of this 12% Quad to polish off, glad it is Friday tomorrow.. I didn’t really have a problem doing so, even given its rather sickly sweet candy nose and start, the high alcohol and fading rapidly disappearing carbonation, the latter is probably the biggest let down and the one thing that eventually draws this one back from being a comatosing libation.

Overall: Erm, not that sure about this one. Hey, it’s Victory V-12 and I looked forward to cracking this one – but it is not the huge classic brew I was led to believe it was. I also always thought that this would be one to age, but I guess from what I just tasted and witnessed it isn’t. Cost $7.99, and given the distance from the source and strength it is not that expensive, but I’m not sure I would pop the greenbacks for one of these again. Not bad, but certainly not the “great” brew many told me it was, it lacks complexity and definition, in fact it’s a little rough around the edges and worse it suffers from poor carbonation and that annoying orange syrup ending. Drink it fresh once bottled and drink it quickly once poured would be my advice.

TheLongBeachBum, Jul 08, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -12%

A friend of mine was kind enough to bring out a bottle during a recent backyard barbecue, so I told him that I would write a review, but frankly, I am sitting on mine to let them mature somewhat. I will review this beer again, but not soon.

It poured with a semi-frothy white head that utterly disintigrated into wispiness. It was a deep golden/amber color with great clarity. The nose gave off notes of cherries and melon. The drawback for me was the mouthfeel, which was simply way too hot. It also had a nice creaminess to it, but the heat and intensity of the alcohol made it difficult to really tatse much. I tried, believe me, and I will try again, but I think that this is a beer that could do with some maturation time.

woodychandler, Jul 04, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +6%

The large bottle, 2002 edition. Pours with little head and no staying power, or it would have been a 5. A beautiful deep amber color, simply gorgeous. Smell is malty with undertones of cedar, notable alcohol. Now the test.

We will preface with the fact that I usually don't like my beer this strong. First sip. Good. Nice. Solid. Second sip. Better. much better. really finishes nicely. Complex, lots to note. Fruit after the malt, sweetness at the end, almost sugery, but not in a bad way. This beverage got better as I drank it, and I don't think it was because it got me drunk. Dcent if not great carbonation, belieing the absence of head, this continued to stimulate after swallowing. At 12%, not a beer to drink all day and night, but I sure could have more of it.

TheJudge, Jun 28, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a transparent burgundyish auburn color. Tons and tons of bubbles sit afloat with a small layer of foam on top. Minimal lacing. Aroma is boozy at first then becomes sweeter and fruitier then ultimately becomes drier with a little sting in there. I'm reminded of the peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich I had an hour earlier every time I take a whiff. Taste gives me more malty sweetness but hardly any residual sugars. More just of a nice fruity flavor along with a sweet liquer taste. Alcohol esters are there but controlled marvelously. Hops are basically not providing any bitterness but I think they're holding the sweetness back and giving more of a dry fruity flavor and I thank them for giving this beer balance. But the main base flavor is a yeasty sweetness. I don't really know how to describe it but the yeast gives a depth nicely and a little spice. It could still use a little more body and viscosity and maybe more complexity. Finish lingers and lingers. Belly warming. Quite well made and quite enjoyable.

granger10, Jun 23, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +14.7%

2002 edition, 750ml corked and caged. Pours with a head about 1/8" deep that reduces quickly to a thin spread of whitish film. No real viscosity to the deep, pure copper-colored liquid. Smells okay--not too special--like slightly sour apple skins and a vaguely white-winey grapeyness. Cordial notes come through in the finish, like brandy and lemon. The nosefeel is thin, vinous, and cutting with alcohol's cold heat. At first the flavors strike me as being simple. Like, "hm... fruit." And then, just as I'm about to stop paying attention, "fruit" becomes "dried apples, mandarin oranges, raisins..." Fruit, and overflowing baskets of it. Every flavor, from black cherry to banana, is soaked in layers of alcohol and medicine, warming to become bitter like honeyed herbal tea. Fantastically dry mouthfeel, alcoholically thin and warm, evaporates into the tongue but leaves the tastes behind to be savored. Points go to the drinkability just for the sheer polish of it all. Drink with care. After the first half of the bottle I was feeling pretty good. After the second half, I wasn't feeling much of anything at all. Great stuff. It was worth the wait.

NearerMyBeerToMe, Jun 20, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle from the new back room of the Linwood Cafe in Boston. Thanks Denali for buying this one for the table. Damn fine choice. This bottle was just about a year old.

Nice copper/amber appearance. Offwhite/tan head and nice lacing.
Unintrusive smell, sweetness and caramel abound.

The taste surpassed even my already high expectations. Sweet caramel with fruitiness mixed in, a very fine representation of a quad, in my book at least. Smooth, port like mouthfeel. Damn I want another bottle.

Not going to be able to drink a whole lot of this at a time, but if you see a bottle of this don't deny yourself the absolute pleasure of trying it.

fdrich29, Jun 11, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +21.7%

I had been eyeing this bottle for a while, and finally bought it after a nice 11 hour shift at work. Pours a brilliant copper broown color, with lots of carbonation visible. Head is small, but resilient. Smells fruity and earthy, like a fine belgian ale, with strong wiffs of alcohol. Taste is absolutely intense. Fula dn rich, lots of carbonationa and alcohol to leave your lips and mouth tingling. Funky and sweet, with well calculated hops that blend in and enhance the alcohol in the beer. An absolute ride of a beer, big and ballsy, what I expect from Victory.

TastyTaste, May 28, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +6%

Pours a clear amber-red with an almost non-existent head and very little lacing. Smell is sweet like candied sugar, with some banana, grapefruit, and a litlte alchohol coming through. Taste is wonderful---a big creamy malty flavor dominates There is a surprising light hops presence, along with expected cloves, sweet fruits, and alchohol. This is a thick full bodied beer with a medium/light level of carbonation that works just fine. This is a great tasting beer, and the only thing that lowers its drinkability is the high alcohol which you really start feeling after a bomber.

cubedbee, May 24, 2005
3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

I remember not liking this beer. Lets see what another few months have done to it. It pours a bright copper color with a 2-3 finger head that falls to about a finger over top, with a nice bubbly off the bottom that keeps it heady. The nose is raisiney and spicey, with an underlying caramel and brown sugar sweetness and a wisp of alcohol playing underneath it all. Not too shabby. The flavor is pretty nice. I get a rum-soaked raisins, brown sugar sweetness, spiceyness and alcohol that play very well together. I even get a touch of orange citrusyness in there. The brew is moderately thick, with a slight syrupyness to it. It is very warming in the stomach and esophagus. I find this to be very easy to quaff for a 12% alcohol beer. My mind has been changed about this brew. Its pretty nice if you ask me.

kmpitz2, May 24, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

A thin, yet creamy slightly off white head that led to thin and layered lacing throughout the glass. A very crisp, glowing light orange with some sediment.

A candied, lightly caramel malt sweetness in addition to some very complex fruity esters: sour apple, orange, touch of lemon, grapefruit, even some vinous aromatics. For a quad at 12% abv, the aroma of alcohol is well hidden.

Caramel, sugared maltiness that balances very well with this ale's fruity profile. Dark grapes, roasted cherries, and a touch of tartness: orange/apple. Finishes dry with a minor wave of carbonation. The aftertaste is vinous and sugary-sweet.

Medium bodied pushing full; creamy, smooth, and warming on the palate.

This was a very nice treat, but at 12% abv it's tough to have more than one or two glasses. A quad to be shared.

NEhophead, May 17, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +14.7%

The pour results in a slight head but it's a little cold. The nose comes up as spicy and the first taste is fruity. Then the alcohol dances past the back of my tongue and around the top of my throat. Hey...it says V12 on the bottle so I expect alcohol. It is well accompanied by flavor and smell.

The head is a ring now and the beer is a beautiful clear copper. The next taste nets a slight tartness that moves into sweet. This beer has a lot going on. It is very drinkable now. I couldn't think it could become more beguiling with more age. I will buy more to share. It will close a meal well.

faernt, May 16, 2005
3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

UPDATE 11/18/2011:

It was college when I last reviewed this beer, I want to see what my palate thought about it after 6 years. Bottled on 4/4/2011, Tan color capped by a off white head, ok retention. Clean nose, hint of booze. Taste is quite complex: caramel, raisen, cherry, light clove. Light floweriness. Sweet and quite the sipper.

Review 5/13/2005

I went into the store looking for 750mL of Golden Monkey. They were out so I decided to try this.

Pours a dark red color with little head. The taste is extremely sweet with a stong filling of alchohol. The smell is stong of oak and is very sweet.

I would drink it again, but I prefer Golden Monkey.

UDbeernut, May 13, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a clear amber color with a thin white head that quickly dissipates. Very faint odor; just a touch of caramel. First taste is delicious! Quite a sweet, candy sugar flavor, a taste of raisins, caramel and yeast. For a 12% ABV, the alcohol is extremely well hidden; I barely got a hint of it. An incredibly drinkable beer; I'd have to say preferable to some of the higher rated Quadrupels I've had in the past.

medic25, Apr 14, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearence: Poured a suprisingly clear copper with a thin fomay beige head.

Smell: The smell is incredibly mellow with very little alcohol tinge. There are candi sugar and caramel notes everywhere.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The flavor is very true to the Belgian Quad's, full of sweetness and sugar with an incredible port like quality to it. The caramel notes are pleasent and mix will with the nutty notes. The alcohol is only slightly detectable, and just adds a very nice kick at the end. The mouthfeel is rich and creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: Though I never had this fresh, I think time has already crafted this beer wonderfully. It's smooth, rich, complex, and incredibly drinkable. This is a great American take on the Quad.

santoslhalper, Apr 05, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

The beer poured into the chalice crystal clear medium amber with a white and low head which lasted well to lace the glass.

The aroma was fruity with caramel and caramel. The caramel was not dark, but reminded you more of that of an English bitter with a light earthy character. The aroma's fruitiness had a cherry component that was slightly sweet.

The flavor was rich with candy sweetness leading the charge. The candy flavors were mixed with fruits like cherries to lend an interesting blend of flavors without being too complex.

The finish was just almost dry with lasting sweetness and candy cherry flavor. The body was medium full, every bit of it, and slightly viscous. The only hint of the alcohol flavor was the warming after consumption. This was a nice beer, but missing complexity at every turn and a slight bit overly sweet.

750 ml corked and bailed bottle. 2002 on cork, bottled on Mar 11 03 on bottle.

GCBrewingCo, Apr 05, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 750 bottled on Aug 27th 2004, purchased directly at Victory, and drank from my Orval Chalice.

Cork was immensely difficult to get out. Usually corked and caged beers just pop right out but this one was stuck. My guess could be that sugars or malt got on the cork and got it stuck. I actually had to use a wine opener to get it out.

Appearance was a bright dark orange with little sudsy bubbles. First glass poured clear, second had some hazy yeast.

Smell was banana yeasty, but also with a strong alcohol presence. What I would expect from an American Quad of such strong abv.

Taste was candy sugar sweet. Full of Belgian banana tasting yeast and dried fruits such as raisons and some orange peel. Also some spicy notes as well as toasted wood. The alcohol was again strong and ever-present and overshadowed the other flavors.

Mouthfeel was quite thin compared to Belgian Quads I've had. Although thicker than some American versions of the style.

Drinkability was above average for me only hampered by the high abv.

All and all I would drink this again, and plan to purchase one if they have them next time I'm at Victory. Next time I plan to cellar it quite a bit longer though.

Ieatlambfries, Apr 03, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +3%

Appearance – Head? You gotta be kidding. After almost throwing my arm out I got a little foam but it went down faster than Courtney Love at a rock concert. The huge ABV killed all chances of a head for this Quad.

The body itself is pure liquid gold. It is an amazingly brilliant orange in color and crystal clear. I could find my way through a cave with this beer.

Smell – Liquid sugar and alcohol best sums up this big fella’. The malts are dark and even a bit yeasty. The sweet aroma of orange syrup runs this show, though. The alcohol is big but actually very easy on the nose.

Taste – The orange syrup liqueur is in force at the taste. The toasty malts and light yeast give this one some good complexity. The sugary flavors though run away with it. I really enjoyed the even keel that Victory manages to keep on a beer with so much sugar and so much alcohol.

Mouthfeel – I can barely pick up the 12% warming of this high-octane medium to full-bodied Quad. This is lip-smacking sticky sugars meets ultra-smooth triple sec in the mouth.

Drinkability – I’m almost ashamed to say how easily I downed this bottle of 3+ ounces of pure alcohol (750ml * 12% ABV). I drank this seven months from the bottling date. This is not one to age. It is broken down and ready to drink, probably the day after it’s bottled.

Comments – A huge thanks to GeoffFromSJ for sending me this gem from one of my favorite breweries. I had this to celebrate a new job that I’m starting on Monday. Cheers to BA!

RoyalT, Mar 13, 2005
3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

I decided to open this bottle on the 2nd anniversary of the day it was bottled, 11 March 2003. Uncaged and uncorked, I was rewarded with a soft "phut" and slight wisp of mist. Poured into my sacred St. Bernardus chalice, I gazed at a copper hued brew with virtually no head, just a thin scattering of foam that quickly ghosted away. Looked more like an old ale.
A few sniffs and I found myself wondering just where the aroma was. What I found was lots of alcohol, some mild vanilla, a bit of yeasty malt, and a woodiness like oak lumber or an oaken barrel. Not very complex or enticing.
The taste really wasn't all that much of an improvement, I'm sorry to report. Again, the heat from the alcohol held sway over all other flavors. Any other flavors were kind of stillborn and perfunctory. The malt aspect was subdued and wooden. The only spiciness to show up was the light taste of vanilla. The feel was the best thing going on and even that struck me as rather thin and slick.
The label states V-12 should be enjoyable up to five years from the date bottled. IMO it is barely hanging on at two, surprising considering the 12% ABV. I cared for the bottle well and doubt it was an "off" bottle. It didn't taste wrong, it just didn't taste like much of anything. If you have one (or more) cellared, you might want to try it now rather than wait.

Boilermaker88, Mar 13, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Greets me with a “Pwop!” Pours into my newly acquire gilded rim Corsendonk Christmas Ale tulip with a golden waning sunset orange red crystal clear hues containing tiny beading flowing streams. A slightly brisk ivory head cap froth sprawled out unevenly becomes a razor thin island layer creeping into the corners as a halo. A few healthy swirls immediately rise the frothy head to then quickly dissipate back down.
*** Uped the Ap 4 to 4.5 on the yeast pour. Forgot the bottle had some botton dweelin’ that delivered a 2” head cap.

Delicious scents of rummy awl-kee-hawl and surperlative butter pecan ice cream malts. Woody barrel notes like it was barrel aged, but just as a hint.

First Swigs: Warming rum notes and almond extract. Esophagus opening hot cooker. Vodka soaked oranges. As some warming develops, a bready yeasty doughy characteristic stands out, followed by some bananas, cloves, and anise notes.

Quizzically thin, presumably due to 12 % ABV but syrupy coating nonetheless. Hot awl-kee-hawl present in all facets of the offering. Delicate wayward carbonation especially while this one sits on the ole tongue. Becomes more frothy.

Last Swigs: Cloves and rummy bready yeasty. Consensus with the label: “Liquid luxury.” Almost reminds me of Allagash Curiuex. Runs a gamut while warming from the fridge. If time favors this V-12, flavors will improve this tasty wonder. First time the saple was ever offered was thanks to Ratsaruch at the home of VICTORY. Quite excited to try V-12. Just a minor quip: Is this really a quad?

Beer is good. Happy beering.

blitheringidiot, Feb 23, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +8%

Orange / copper in color with a two-plus inch thick fluffy head. Lots of carbonation bubbles. Head drops to a decent surface foam that lasts for most the drink. Aroma is of yeast, over ripe fruit, mild floral hops, and lots of alcohol. The flavor is of caramel, nice bitterness, citrus, ripe red fruits, mild spice, yeast, bread, and plenty of alcohol.

The mouthfeel is crisp at the start and finish. Alcohol and yeast ride the tongue long after swallowing. Medium / heavy body. Quite a tasty and nicely drinkable quadruple. The more it warmed, the flavors really came out.

Gavage, Feb 06, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +3%

Nice, though I don't think I'd call this a Belgian style quad. Pours a reddish/copper color with a minimal tan head and little carbonation. The first taste is spicey, hint of orange, malts, and a semi dry finish. Once the taste buds adjust this brew smooths out a lot. It still is spicey, but with a more sweeter, fruity/malt start and finish. The 12 abv doesn't overpower you at all. Kind of reminds me of a Unibroue Maudite without the carbonation and with a heavier body. Goes down very easy for a 12 abv. Good one to keep around to take the edge off of a tough day.

cro250klr, Feb 01, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +4.2%

Alc. 12% by Vol.
Bottle conditioned
Bottled on Mar 11 03
750 ML
Enjoyed at 65 degrees

Clear, orange-red color with a nice white head at pour; the head is almost soap bubbly at the fringes with micronized bubbles at the center; sturdier head than I expected for a quadrupel

Nice caramel layering and coy alcohol nature; there’s a pleasant body and the mouthfeel is luscious; alcohol cuts a direct line to the nose with a smooth sweetness trailing; sweet rum, fig come through at the palate and there is a malty entrance with a hop and slight alcohol bump to form a smooth clean finish; not dry; a nice balance carries through in the aftertaste

Beautiful, pleasant surprise from Victory. This is a keeper.

Wonka, Jan 24, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

Bottled August 27, 2004, Sampled January 2005
Pours a brilliantly clear deep copper color, it is topped by a thin pale brown head that has trouble sticking around along through all of the alcohol. The aroma is sharp and spicy with notes of apples, rum, brandy, and alcohol. The aroma fades pretty quickly as my nose get used to the aromas. The taste is surprisingly light and clean for a beer of this strength. There is a definite fruity sweetness that reminds me of plums, raisins, and perhaps some red grapes. The fruitiness is the dominant characteristic though. This definitely tastes a bit like brandy, what with the general fruitiness and the alcohol in the finish. This has a really nice fruitiness to it, there is none of the spiciness that one usually associates with lots of the Belgian yeast strains. Instead this has a concentrated fruitiness to it.

Actually I am quite disappointed in this beer, it is not quite Belgian enough, not quite enough complexity. This is a nice tasting beer, it is just a bit simplistic, though I should give it some credit for being so smooth and drinkable despite the 12% alcohol. This is definitely not something that I can finish a full 750 of though, so be warned this should be shared with friends.

Gueuzedude, Jan 23, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

one person thinks this is a strong ale, the label says quadrupel. what about a quadrupelwine? that would be my best description of this wholly unique brew.

this beer pours candy apple red with a hearty lace ring, minimal carbonation and head. its scent is of cherries, cough syrup and barleywine.. butterscotch and vanilla. overall, a sweet sweet scent.

this beer is good for sipping, and carries a deep sugar taste with malts and a alcohol warming. the aftertaste is a purely sour citrus flavor. seems to be a blend of a barleywine style with a three-phils type 4x.

tasted side by side with old horizontal just to reaffirm my taste suspicions. confirmed. similar, but v-12 lacks the bite and bitterness. what a great beer and it will surely age well. grab a few and throw them in the cellar (but get one to drink now!)

goodbyeohio, Jan 17, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

This offering was bottled on 24 August 2004. Poured a nice reddish amberish color with a slight head that vanished as fast as it came and left no lacing at all. The smell is of candy, fruits, and some alcohol. The taste is excellent. Fruit sweetness, a touch of alcohol and finishes with some lingering sweetness and a touch of hops spicyness. The mouthfeel was very nice. Smooth, nicely carbonated, but a touch thin, but still good. I would drink this one again, after it ages a bit.

soulfly967, Jan 12, 2005