V-Twelve - Victory Brewing Company

Quadrupel (Quad) |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-18-2003

Reviews: 597 | Hads: 1,236
3.96/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a Funky Buddha Brewery snifter. Bottled On date is blank.

A- Pours an orangeish light brown color with a 1/4 inch light tan head that doesn't retain long before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and sheer wisps of surface foam. Resilient lacing leaves a thick ring behind on the glass.

S- Caramel and toasty malt plus a considerable alcohol aroma. Also some light hop tones.

T- Biscuity and sweet with a bunch of Belgian candi sugar and noticeable booze. More toasted malt and some hop bitterness to balance.

M- A bit stingy from the alcohol. Medium-low carbonation and a medium body.

O- Quite good but there are definitely better versions of the style. Pairs decently with Havarti. (717 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

750mL bottle into a tulip
Bottled on date is blank

A: Pours a clear dark amber with just under 2 fingers width of light tan head. Head dissipates at a moderate rate and leaves only small patches of lacing.

S: Belgian yeast like aromas, nutty, caramel, toffee, a bit of spice, subtle hop aromas as well, and a bit of booze. Kind of a mix between a Quad and an American Barley Wine, but I like it.

T: Sweet, yeasty, spicy. Spice is probably the most prevalent character. The taste is more quad-ish then the aroma, as the nutty/caramel/toffee characters aren't nearly as prominent as the aroma suggested. Tasty but you can tell its not an authentic Belgian beer.

M/D: Full bodied, moderate carbonation, ABV is very well masked and drinkability is very good. It does however, lack that wonderful smoothness coupled with big carbonation that the best of the Belgian Quads miraculously pulls off.

O: This is a pretty enjoyable beer, but like most American versions it pales in comparison to the original Belgian products. Worth a try, but for nearly the same price you can get Abt 12, which is on a whole different level than is one. (1,136 characters)

Bottle has been aged for at least one year.

The beer pours a surprisingly light and foamy white head that dissipates very quickly. The beer itself is a dark honey color with shades of brown and dark orange. The beer smell has strong notes of honey with dark fruits and very sweet malts. The malts give off a very sweet and caramel smell. The smell also has slight notes of alcohol. The beer taste has similar fruity, sweet, and caramel notes with a slight hint of honey. The taste and smell are very reminiscent of a barley wine, more so than a quad.. The feel is fairly silky and smooth with very little carbonation. Overall, a pretty good beer. (647 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I'm aching for a good quad tonight so I decided to take on a 750 of this by myself. 12% ABV confirmed - God help me waking up tomorrow. No visible bottled on date; the label has a "Bottled on" section in the lower left but there's no date printed. Hm. I believe this sat around the bottle shop where I got it; I bought it last week. So much the better; I'd prefer it aged. 750ml brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high; I've had some beers from Victory I've really taken a fancy to.

Served cold, straight from the refrigerator, and allowed to come to room temperature over the course of consumption. I like my quads a little below room temperature, but with a 750 I'm content to start cooler and see how it develops. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Note that this is, probably, my favourite style of beer - and I'm intimately familiar with good beers in the style. I may nitpick.

Yield a satisfying pop upon removal of the cork, but no beer surges upwards in the neck. Carbonation seems good.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger beige colour head (or ecru for the pretentious). Slight cream. Decent thickness. Above average retention - about 3-4 minutes. The colour is not at all what I'd expect in a good beer of the style; it's a transparent orange-red. Translucent as well. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Really not looking like a good quad ought to. Both the head and colour should be better - the head darker, creamier, thicker, and with better retention; and the colour darker, nontransparent, and more delicate. Misses the mark already, but I'm hoping the taste is far better. In fact, given that this comes from Victory, I'm expecting it to surprise me with its quality.

Sm: Light cherry. Biscuit malt. Peach fruit. Lychee. Light raisin. Nuts. Where the hell are the luscious dark fruits - the very reason I drink a good quad? Noticeable floral hop character. Bright malts. Lychee is dominant - lychee? In a quad? Apricot fruit. Flowers. Sweet candi sugar. Heavily fruity - but bright. No subtlety at all here. But there's nice balance and good complexity; it's just completely wrong for the style. I'm content to abandon judging this as a quad at this point and just let it take me where it will; it's definitely in no way shape or form to style, but I can't deny that in a general sense it's quite pleasant and inviting. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. Reminds me of a wheatwine, actually. I get some mango. There's no luxurious delicacy here, but it's intriguing.

T/Mf: Interesting fruity notes - orchard mango, apricot, light orange, lychee, and peach. Nice soft mouthfeel with sufficient coarseness to coax more of the lighter notes out. Some sweet cherry in the background. Body is comprised of grainy malts - not much in the way of bready malts. Some biscuit and amber malts, sure. Hop character is way too pronounced for a quad; floral in nature. It's also got (non hop derived) flowery notes, giving it a light and surprisingly refreshing taste and feel. Some bright raisin. As it warms, more and more of that lychee fruit kicks in - joined by some white plum. I wanted dark plum from this quad, but I'll take what I can get. Juicy throughout. Smooth, wet, and refreshing. Clean and enjoyable. Lacks the delicacy and fragility of superior quads, but it's nice for what it is. On the sweeter side of the sweet/bitter scale, but it's never too sweet. Alcohol is well concealed here; drinks like it's about 9.0%. Not getting any yeasty character.

Just like I noticed from the aroma, it seems more like a wheatwine than a quad (even though I don't get any actual wheat notes). I hate to rely on comparisons to other beers as a crutch, but the juicy fruit character reminds me of Marin's Star Brew.

Overall, it's a balanced beer with decent complexity but no real subtlety. I do like it, but I don't consider it a quad. Good carbonation, body, and thickness. It almost makes me want to smack my lips drinking it; fairly luscious.

Dr: It doesn't scratch my quad itch, but it is quite nice for what it is. Hides its ABV pretty well and even comes off refreshing somehow. It's a solid brew from Victory, and now that I know what to expect I'd probably get it again in the right mood. I'm confident I'll enjoy finishing this 750 alone. Very drinkable for the ABV, but you wouldn't want to quaff it. At the same time, it's far from a sipper. Just a tasty all around brew that really misses the mark of the alleged style. Style aside, I consider it a success.

B- (4,715 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I went straight from work to my favorite purveyor of brew offerings (vacation time )and after choosing my favorite mix a six and picking up my wife's favorite crap beer Coors light, I perused the craft beer isles looking for something different.I have had many great offerings from Victory before so I picked it up and alas what jumped out at mews not the Belgium style ale ( which I love ) but the 12% abv ( again vacation time).
I really enjoyed this brew allot - not like anything I have had before - start off sweet then the hops hit with a dry finish. A very well done beer! Cheers - drink slowly.. (603 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Shard a bottle of this with a friend last Friday night. To try and drink one of these on your own is asking for trouble. We were both a little fuzzy when we finished it, even after splitting this guy in half.

Appearance: Pours a very beautiful amber/ reddish hue. Polished, looking beer with little to no haze. Lots of bubbley champagne like head thate quiclkly recedes to light lacing in the glass.

Smell: Theres a lot in the smell. Different fruits and spices. For me, it was hard to pick out one, but you can definately get a blend of citrus notes, strong spices and a strong smell of alcohol.

Taste: Again, another blend of citrus and spice with rather hot finish. You can really taste the 12% ABV in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Again, a little hot on the palate. Sort of a champagne like bubbleyness and tingling from the carbonation and a light to medium body type of finish.

Overall: Definately a beer to enjoy amongst friends in small quantities for an after dinner digestive or for celebration. Not something I would drink to unwind at the end of a long day. I enjoyed it. (1,082 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

a nice quad, but nothing extraordinarily complex or intriguing I didn't think. it pours a sexy amber redish orange color, maybe a little darker than that sounds, with a prominent white head that slowly settles. the nose is big on this beer, dried cherries and alcohol right away, some warmer molasses notes also trickle in above a sizable grain bill. the flavor is heavy on the dark fruits, raisins and plums join the party, but the alcohol wipes out some of the subtleties. lots of burn in the finish, which is also very sweet, caramel based, and maybe a little overdone. Belgian yeast provides lovely carbonation, but there just isn't quite enough body for me here. also the teeth rotting sugar finish is even more than the style calls for. this is an absolute must share bottle of beer, even with one friend we struggled with the last of it. a quality quad, especially if you like yours sweeter and stronger than the standard issue. (935 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Corked and caged 750 ml bottle. No bottled on date given. Served at cellar temp.

Partly cloudy brilliant orange-red body. Lighter than I was expecting. Small, spittle-y, off-white head. Not a ton of lacing. Big fruit aromas up front. A melange of tropical fruit, sweet citrus (mandarin oranges), treacle, and Juicy Fruit gum. Some vinous, almost tannic notes as well. I can definitely whiff some booze on this, but is kind of nice.

Fruity sweetness and toasted grain off the bat. Tropical fruit, candied pears, and banana rum fill in. Sweet, but not cloying. Herbal, spicy, peppery bitterness weaves in and out, providing some balance. Might be due to the alcohol. Notes of caramel, sweet bread, and honey come out mid-palate. Rummy fruits into a warming finish. Post-banana bitterness spreads, peppered by the peppery, spicy alcohol. Yeasty too. Full-bodied, with a subdued, smooth, bottle-conditioned feel. A very nice sipper. (930 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Got a bomber of this at the Wegman's right down the street from the brewery... don't ask me why. Poured into a tulip. Bottled on 8/10/2012. Reviewed 2/20/2013.

A- Golden rust, slightly hazy, with a bubbly 1/4" yellow-white head. Retains well with beautiful lacing.

S- Caramel, biscuit, slight citrus - lemon, and some boozy dark fruit.

T- Sweet, a little brown sugar, and a mellow hop finish.

M- Thick, and the warming from alcohol only intensifies with a temperature rise. Definitely a sipping/sharing beer.

O- This was a solid choice. It's nothing spectacular, but it is one of Victory's better brews. (608 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-Clear amber, one finger head and some carbonation.

S-Malt, tad bit of darker fruits along with some bread.

T-Malty, too malty. Bread and some darker fruits. Too much malt throws of the the balance.

M-Medium bodied, ok amounts of carbonation.

O-This bottle had some aged on it, still good though. But it didn't seem all together. Maybe I'll give it another go fresh. But very meh. (385 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled On: Aug 11 2012; Consumed Feb 4 2013

A: Pours a copper mahogany color with 2+ fingers worth of sticky off white head that retains forever and leaves some nice lacing

S: Very aromatic. Belgian yeast comes through at the front, lending notes of fruit and spices. Also get a lightly sweet maltiness and booze soaked raisins

T: Follows the nose. Belgian yeast and booze soaked raisins/figs/dates come through along with a sweet maltiness. Gets drier towards the end due to the alcohol. Finishes very clean given the flavors and for a 12% quad. Only a light sweetness barely lingers for a few seconds

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A very nicely done American quad with good complexity and depth. Not as many layers as some of the European counterparts, but still up there in terms of quality. Fairly damn cheap for what it is, too ($6 for a 750 of 12% American quad). Nicely done, Victory (917 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750 Ml poured into a tulip
Bottled on April 4th 2011 (22 months old)

A- Pours mostly clear and a brilliant orange color. A quarter finger of an off white head. Surprisingly little alcohol legs.

S- Very intense dark fruits. Figs, raisins and plums all bursting out of this beer. A candied sugar sweetness to back it up. This beer is almost like smelling grapejuice, crazy but this smells closer to a red wine then beer. Amazing stuff.

T- A massive grape at first. A pop of carbonation and a sugary sweetness to back it all up. A massive and sweet load of dark fruits. A bit too sweet. This beer does remind me of grape juice. A syrupy and velvety backbone of breaddy malts. Alcohol is very well hidden.

M- A velvet feel. A very warming sensation. Very sweet but little aftertaste. Very nice on the tongue.

O- This is a nice quad. I dont say this often but this beer is just a bit too sweet. I can see this beer doing well aged in a wine barrel. Keep in mind my bottle is almost 2 years old. (994 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Cloudy yellow. Great lacing. Head smaller than expected.

S: Strong banana scent. Ample spice. Fruit and yeast abundant

T: Banana again up front. Hops noticeable. Malt rolls in smooth.Strong spice.

M: Good carbonation, gritty but pleasant.

Overall 4
In style 4.25 (270 characters)

Poured into my St. Bernardus Goblet. The Belgians are mad because I've poured a light colored American belgian style quad into it. Kidding aside, Color is a light copper like color, lots of carbonation uprising from the depths and it looks brilliant! Cannot see through.

Smell is malty and smells of sweet candy is all I can gather and I can sense from the smell that this beer is going to be boozy.

Taste, A few sips and your pretty warm from the 12% abv. It has a candy taste as well, which of course is really sweet,

Mouthfeel is thin, not thick like you would expect if the beer was candyish like I describe this.

Overall this quad is awesome and I got it for 7.50 for the bottle!!! Gotta be dumb not to pick it up for that price. (741 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a deep amber-red color with a nice fluffy white head with pretty good retention.

The scent is very sweet, dark fruits are apparent, notes of yeast and spices, a little alcohol is detectable.

The taste is of sweet fruits including apple and some pear. There is also some raisin and cherry notes. Sweet Belgian sugars, yeast, some spices and alcohol presence is noticeable.

Full body, smooth and a little creamy feel, moderate carbonation.

Overall this was a really good beer, nice flavor and very well balanced. (524 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -6.5%

A - Reddish/ Hazy color to this beer.
S - Very sweet smell with a multiple tones of fruits. You can pick everything up from cherries, grapes, figs, and molasses. This is all accompanied with a dark malt smell to it as well.
T - The sweetness of the beer hits you right away, the flavors of the fruits hit you at different points as it enters your mouth. The back taste lets you know that this is a 12% brew but it is not over the top. This beer warms your throat a couple seconds after you swallow, possibly some of the cherries coming through.
M - Heavy but not thick
O - This is a very flavorful and intense beer. Every sip brings out a different flavor for me and it was an great beer to sip on, not one to double fist with. (728 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to my buddy Drew for sharing this.

A: Clear chestnut body under full finger of fine off-white head. Pretty good retention and lacing. A little light in coloration, but solid.

S: Super sweet, with brown sugar, light smoke, and candied malts. A little over the top, but not unpleasant.

T: Follows the nose, with major sugary sweetness dominating. Some booziness on the finish, but at an acceptable level. Pretty tasty.

M: Creamy medium-full body. Very nice.

O: It doesn't taste anything like the great Belgian Quads, but it's a reasonably impressive brew in its own right.

Cheers! (625 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: shiny copper, finger white head, good lacing

S: strong cherry, rock candy, fig, malt

T: very sweet cherry/fig/plums, malt,
mild spices, quite boozy in finish

M: med body, mild smooth, hint of dry mouth

O: Enjoy the style, but little too sweet for my liking.
Wish had a little more malt and heavier creamy/smooth body.

GOOD, NOT MUST TRY! (347 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +1%

Poured from 750 ml bottle into chalice glass

Appearance – The beer pours a red-amber color with a one finger white head that fades relatively fast upon fading a moderate level of lacing is left on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is sweet with a great mix of dark and light fruit aromas. Apple, tangerine, and pear make up some of the lighter fruit with raisin, fig and plum representing the darker fruits. With these aromas are some yeast and spice smells which meld well with the fruit giving a light mulled wine like aroma.

Taste – The taste begins with a big hit of the sweet lighter fruits that was detected from the nose. Apple and pear are the strongest but are soon met with dark fruit flavors. Fig, raisin, and cherry all develop more strangely as the taste advances on further and begin to mix with a yeasty and Belgian spice flavor that comes more toward the end. While at 12 % abv, only a very light boozy taste is detected at the end of the taste with overall a fruity and lightly spiced flavor being left to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer was just above average in terms of creaminess with a carbonation level that was just a tad under normal for a quad. While the creaminess matched the spice flavors nicely a slightly higher carbonation level may have giving it a bit of the “prickly” taste that might have complemented the mix of fruit flavors nicely.

Overall – A nice sweet and fruity quad that even at 12 % abv is very drinkable with very little boozy taste influence. A good beer to try if you get the opportunity. (1,586 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours an darker reddish amber. A lot of head at first but dissipates pretty quickly.

Smell is very fruity. Picking up some fig, raisin and grape. In a beer like this, the caramel is generally prominent as well.

Taste is fruit as well but I actually expected it to be even more so. It seems somewhat subdued here and could be a little more potent. For a 12% beer, the alcohol is hidden very well. Definitely has some kick and spice on its way down. Always been a fan of these Earthy tasting beers and like the spiciness and the extra kick it has.

The mouthfeel as you'd expect with most 12% beers is heavier but is lighter than most other 12%er's.

Overall, this is a very good beer. Have only had I think one other Victory beer but this one tops that one. It's sweet but not overpoweringly sweet like some other beers I've had. It works in each fruit it uses pretty well and it does a good job with concealing the potency of the ABV. The spiciness adds an extra element to this beer and adds to its complexity. I'd definitely come back to this one at some point.

Btw this was my first review so hope you guys think I did an alright job lol. (1,147 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

The alcohol is well hidden until it starts to get near room temperature then it becomes a bit more prevalent. But it still doesn't taste like 12%.

This is a beer that I rated a 4 in every category except for the overall I felt is was a 4.5. So I guess this is one of those times when the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. (333 characters)

750ml bottle served in a tulip. Bottled on December 29, 2011 indicated on the bottle. Pours a dull, burnt orange hue with a slightly hazy clarity. Head is half an inch, off-white and frothy. Nose expresses overripe figs, caramel notes and a spicy character. Taste follows nose; however, candi sugar is also present, as well as a fermented quality to the dark fruit. Finish expresses a hint of ethanol. Mouthfeel is medium-light with a carbonation that falls just short of lively and a slightly crisp finish. Overall, I have to say that this beer seems closer to a Tripel in character than a Quad. There's definitely an alcohol presence, but it's extremely well-hidden at 12%. I think this beer might be worth cellaring for another year or two to see how it opens up. (766 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

Victory Twelve. Poured into a tulip glass. No bottled-on date stamp where it should be.

Ruby-amber beer with a swelling and somewhat slow-to-settle head of an antique white color. The foam crowns the beer at an inch to two inches height. A bit hazy, but pretty light-passing. I think I count only one floatie.

Fruity fig, burnt caramel, booze, vanilla, and oxidized papery note. Have to admit that a piece of the aroma smells as if this big fat quad didn't hold out too well in the cooler from which I bought it from. I hope I'm wrong when it gets tasted.

Caramelized fruits come to mind. Maybe soaked or roasted in brandy. Heaping booze note makes this pretty heady. The oxidized note is subtler now, but it's there. Lots of dark fruit, candied orange, and caramel and toffee. Hints of grated spices and it almost has a maraschino cherry vibe to it. Not the kind of quad where you get berries or chocolate. Pretty kind to the roast as this one shows off the special malts nicely. It's nothing out-of-this-world, but for a homegrown Belgian ale, it's got decent flavor and some interesting (albeit, limited) complexity.

Big and strong. Still has some bite in the effervescence, which was unexpected. A surefire sipper. This beer is teeming with fumes.

I don't mean any disrespect, but I always felt like there was a reason that I hadn't bought and tried this sooner. I've seen it on the shelves for years now. Never gave Victory a chance in this style. And, as it is, I could pass on it in the future. A decent Belgian ale, lighter in color than most quads, sweet but roasty. I always succumb to the real Belgians here, though. (1,632 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured at 37F from a 750ml bomber into a Duvel goblet. Color of unclarified dark amber honey, nonpersistent 1 finger head, vigorously poured. Warm sweet smell of (no kidding) nitrous oxide and slight booziness. At least when I was a kid this is what nitrous oxide smelled like when I was getting teeth pulled. Not sure if it actually has a smell or not. What a grand and warm taste this delicacy has. Flavor is warm and inviting with caramel tops and a cherry-ish reminiscence, or maybe sweet southern barbecue that rolls around the edge of the back half of your tongue on finish. The booziness enhances this lovely combination. The just-above-non-existent carbonation makes this fine sipping brew whose complex flavors beg for sipping and resipping. Hard to call $13 for a bomber snooty, but this is dang fine ale. Note to self: buy whenever you can. (851 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a crystal mug, the beer poured a hazy amber golden orange and produced about an inch and a half of bubbly white head. It dissipates fast leaving little lacing.
The smell is complex and fruity. Orange, citrus, dark fruits like rasin, plum and fig are all present. Caramel and malt as well.
Tasting the beer, the fruitiness is not quite as strong, but the sweetness of caramel and a strong malt backbone are dominent in the middle. In the end he beer will let you know the alcohol content of 12 percent.
Nice beer! (524 characters)

V-Twelve from Victory Brewing Company