V-Twelve - Victory Brewing Company

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-18-2003

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

25.9 ounce bottle from Cooke's for only $6.50

More into a Russian River goblet

Pours a deep brown color with a very large head comparable to St. Bernardus

This one packs a major punch at 12% but still could drink a lot of it based on taste and weight

Raisins and plums dominate the smell and taste

Fantastic beer, cannot wait to have more

3.78/5  rDev -5.5%

I started to read my first review of this beer and I noticed my comments about no head...then I looked at my glass and realized this had a decent head...so, here's the new review.

The previously stated head dies off within five minutes. No lace. Cloudy orange in color.

Sweet, candy sugar smell. No notable hop aromas.

Warming alcohol, heavily malted. Not as sweet as the aromas would suggest. A touch of hop provides some balance. Full bodied as suspected; the carbonation is moderate and appropriate.

This is not a regular drinking beer, although it is easy to taste. For one person, I find the 22 oz bottle to be too much of a good thing.

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yes, this is on tap at Victory right now.
Appearance is a deep amber that looks so inviting.
Excellent scent especially since Victory went smoke free.
The taste is outstanding. Sweet fruity flavors with a slight bitter finish.
Mouthfeel is slightly fizzy and smooth at the same time.
I only wish it wasn't 12% alcohol or I would be drinking this all night. Did I mention I rode my bike to the brewery? Yeah, I live that close.

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled August 27 04. Significantly murky orange-caramel with a gargantuan amount of yeast and a surprisingly large head (especially considering the ABV). Atop the beer sits a dollop of ecru colored creaminess that is beginning to coat the sloping sides of the snifter with a thin sheet of delicate lace. This is an outstanding looking quadrupel.

Although the aroma can't quite keep pace with the appearance, it's still well above average. My nose registers apples and apricots swimming in their respective fruit brandies. In spite of more than three years in the bottle, this V12 continues to rev at the redline when it comes to alcohol. As long as it's masked acceptably well on the palate, all will be well.

Despite my initial fears, it tastes like this big, bad, burly ale has benefitted from its age. Not that 36 months is a long time for a quadrupel, but one never knows how any given beer will hold up over time. As far as alcohol, no worries at all... it isn't intrusive in the least.

The things that I like best about V-Twelve are its sweetness and the explosiveness of its flavor. I also like the fact that it tastes authentically Belgian, despite having been brewed in eastern Pennsylvania. It isn't easy for most U.S. brewers to do a credible job with dubbels and tripels and BSDAs, et al, but Victory has done a remarkable job with this quad.

The beer tastes like ripe chunks of orchard fruit (apricots and oranges especially), eau de vie, spices (clove and nutmeg), flower petals (roses) and a considerable helping of Belgian candi sugar. Both the sweetness and the high-octane ABV keep me sipping rather than gulping. That's okay, this is a beer that deserves to be savored.

I've just noticed the words 'Liquid Luxury...' on the gaudy label. Come to think of it, those words describe the mouthfeel better than I ever could. This sucker is so firm, yet so velvety and silky smooth that virgins will probably blush when they get a mouthful. I think I'll stop right there.

Maybe it's because I don't have access to their beer (except on my occasional trips to Ohio), but I sometimes forget just how talented to good folks at Victory are. V-Twelve is one of the few Belgian-style ales (not brewed by Allagash or Russian River) that I now think of as world-class. I can't wait to acquire a fresh bottle. In a word, this one is... superb.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from the corked 750ml bottle into a snifter. Dark bronze in color with a nice off white head. Not much lacing is involved but the head stays around for quite a bit.

Aromas are fruity and yeasty.

Plenty of bubblegum in the flavor profile. Yeast and some fruity hops add some depth and dimension in the aroma.

A decent beer overall. A bit sweet for my liking but a great effort from Victory. I generally like Victory beers and this one is no slouch. Give it a shot, although I probably will not attempt a second effort.

3.99/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a pretty clear medium dark orange-amber in the glass with a white head made up of tiny bubbles. Head melts quickly but surface coating and ring of white lasts and lasts as tiny bubbles continually rise to replenish it.

Aroma is wonderfully full of sweet malt, dark fruits, light fruits and spices. Aroma may be the most balanced combination I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying.

Taste is immediately sweet..very sweet. At first I didn't think I would be able to finish this one at all. Sweet candied belguim malt with a mixture of both light and dark fruits, then a bit....only a bit..of bitter hops to add more balance. Finish is mostly alcohol. I can definitely tell it is in there.

Mouthfeel is wonderfully creamy and full with lots of tiny carbonation biting on your tongue. Aftertaste is mostly the bitter citrus peel hops (for drying) and alcohol.

Not so shabby...kind of nice.

3.87/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing his birthday ale w/ me.
Poured cold froma a corked and caged 750ml bottled on Aug 10, 06
A - A honey amber color w/ full 3 finger cream head that settles to a 1 finger head and leaves lots of stickage.

S - A sweet aroma of cereal, fruit, citrus and a hint of metallic odor. There is a light spicy scent with a dark sugar aroma.

M & T - Warm and intense - a lot of boozy brandy-like warmth. Spicy and peppery, full of body and strength with an intense creamy oak taste.

Hops and spicy yeast come out in the taste as soon as the big malt viscousness lets it's grip loosen. Slight date and nut flavor is noted in subtle undertones.

D - A lot of sweetness like crystallized or candy sugar. Nice spice - a bit malty, but well made and beautiful spice in the yeast gives it a drinkability that is fierce + above average, but shows the high abv in it's taste. I would definitely advise splitting this big belgian style ale.

3.78/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a hazy, dark amber color with a huge head of foam that threatens to overflow onto the kitchen counter. Looks very lively and Belgian. Aroma was very spicy and fruity with notes of caramel and honey in the nose. Taste was also quite spicy and fruity with lots of caramel malt, yeasty flavors, molasses and warming alcohol. The alcohol was very evident in fact and hurt the drinkability slightly. Mouthfeel was medium-full in the palate. The beer finishes with a good bit of peppery spices in the back of the throat. Overall, a very nice interpretation of the style that would probably benefit from some aging. I'm continually amazed how well American brewers are crafting Belgian style beers.

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottled Jan 09, 2006

a: Foam rushes up the neck of the bottle as soon as the cork pops, but in my old age I've learned to keep a glass handy for such an occurrence. A two finger off white head sits atop the beer. Receding only partially to leave a nice cap. Sparse lacing is left on the walls of the glass. The beer is a deep, tarnished copper brown in color.

s: First up is the enticing aroma of complex grains, primarily pale and sugary, with a gentle note of ethanol. Great blend of fruits that is hard to pin down. Both aged papery and green hop aromas provide the perfect compliment to the sweet malts.

m: Carbonation borders medium and high, but comes across very gently and smooth. The body is a nice medium and seems to defy its true weight, coming across very cleanly. Might be the carbonation that gives this effect.

t: Hmmm. I expected a bit more complexity of character, but it's still a good one. Could have something to do with the age. Varied fruits, pretty subtle with a moderate-high sweetness. Calimyrna figs, pale dates, and a nice blend of complex grains. Low, aged hop flavor and a nice finish with a subtle bitterness and lingering fruity sugars.

d: 12%? Ridiculously easy, but still a sipper for sure.

from zrrbrrt in a bombing/ No BS Beta combo

4.08/5  rDev +2%

Reddish-amber with golden tints, rocky white head is soon gone with the wind leaving a mottled white surface. It smells Belgian. The taste is thick, sweet, fruity, and delicious, wow! The alcohol is not really detectable overtly but the thickness and sweetness make me sure it is strong. This is an excellent beer and possibly the best I have had from Victory.

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

A gift from my wife purchased at Bauer Liquors in Boston, MA.

A: Bronze brown. Opaque with visible yeast. Thin, ringed buff head.

S: Pretty clean German malt aroma. Boozy - nearing towards solvent like. Clove aroma with some fruity notes as well.

T: A sweet malt bomb with a big taste - sugary . Quite boozy. Dark fruit esters and slight clove phenols add character. Something is missing here. I think a better balance between strong brown sugary malt taste and the spicy phenols would be the preferred solution

MF: Slick/smooth medium full mouthfeel. Alcohol warming.

D: Strong alcohol taste does not get in the way of this good tasting quad. Great paired with a sharp cheddar cheese.

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

I bought this 750 ml bottle from Capone's Restaurant in Norristown, Pa, and poured twice into a 25 ounce "pint" glass.
Appearance: A brown body with a huge huge huge dark eggshell head. I have never encounted the what I am going to say before, so interpert it as you will, but I thought it was odd. The huge head, had amazing retention, but left no lacing.
Smell: A sweet buttery smell, sour, but not tart, you can identify right away that this is a Quadrupel. In fact, my jaded nose couldn't place the familiar aroma, so I had my girlfriend waft it, and she said it smelled like Weyerbacher Quad, right on Babygirl, right on.
Taste: Similar to the smell, boozy, sweet and anomous fruit, very tasty for a Belgium Quad.
Mouthfeel: Smooth as a Marty's bottom (Marty is my girlfriend's nephew, and I said I'd give her a specific shout out, so that's that), anyways it was very smooth.
Drinkability: I steward at a Faculty Club, and one of the patrons has some sort of work with Victory. He has brought a bunch of the other members to try this and they all loved it, even though they arn't crafties. I can see why, this is a very drinkable 4th.
Don't drink and review.

4/5  rDev 0%

750 ml. Corked & Caged. Bottled Jan 6, 2006. Served in a snifter glass.

Pours a surprisingly clear copper color. Huge white fluffy head,

Aromas of biscuity malt, fruity esters, and earthiness.

Tastes of semi-sweet malt and green apple at first sip. Other fruits take over as the brew warms, peach most familiar. Finishes dry and a little hot from alcohol but not offensive.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied but crisp and dry. Well carbonated.

Well done brew. I don't have alot of experience with the quads but this would appear to be a good example of the style.

4.05/5  rDev +1.3%

This one has been staring me in the face for a month when I enter the beer department at Sam's Quik Stop in Durham. The labeling sure is attractive, and I'm a sucker for anything with a Belgian slant, so here goes!

I poured this beer rather aggressively into a Delirium Tremens glass. (Aren't those pink elephant just the living end?!) The ecru head was probably exaggerated due to my heavy pouring–it was at least two fingers high–and the color was amber. Not dark, not golden, just pure amber.

I took a few big sniffs to attain a good sense of the aroma; it's mainly of apple and peach, with some dark malts and sweet bread thrown in just to tempt the sniffer. Upon the first taste, one notices the brown sugary sweetness common in this style. This initial sting of fruity flavor mellows into a dark, complex labyrinth of sweet malts, mature fruit, caramel, and alcohol. I just want to take a drink and slowly let the taste ripen on my tongue, taking in all the wonderful flavors it has to offer.

The texture is not too lean and not too thick. It's more creamy than fizzy, and the way it just sort of coats your tongue is incredible. I hope I can finish this bottle, as the alcohol–which isn't intended to be hidden–is already making its presence known!

3.92/5  rDev -2%

Long time ago I carted a case of this home from Philly to L.A. in my luggage. (Silly PA case law.) So I'm not tasting this blind but it's been at least 3 years since I drank the last one from that case.

Lots of yeast aroma. Sort of bread smelling but also with lots of fermentation character of fruit, I get apricot and maybe peach. Strong base malt aroma that seems mostly like Pilsner malt. No noticeable hop aroma.

Deep amber and very clear. Poured with a nice off-white head that faded quickly to a small rim around the glass and a thin island of foam in the middle. Very lively rising carbonation around the edge of the glass feeds the rim of foam.

Big amounts of sweet malt flavor up front. Then there's a lot more of the yeast effect. lots of esters that I pick out as red apple, peach and plum. As it warmed up I got good caramel flavor, probably from some crystal malt, and a toasty flavor. There's some hop bitterness for balance but it is definitely a strong malt profile beer.

Mouthfeel is very full bodied but the high carbonation level keeps it from being really thick. There's no noticeable alcohol which is surprising given a 12% ABV. Hiding that much strength is pretty impressive.

Big strong beer and very nice sipper. Doesn't have a lot of the finesse of a lot of strong-belgian ales but is still a pretty nice effort.

4.63/5  rDev +15.8%

First pour out of the bottle shows a relatively clear deep amber with a solid one thumb head that dissipates slowly. Second pour was cloudy with bits suspended and solid one finger head.

Nose of sweet malt, caramel,raisins and dates.

Taste is complex with evidence of sweet malt, caramel, raisin, plum and alcohol. The alcohol is fairly well hidden, but you can't really expect to hide 12% entirely.

Good mouthfeel, feels surprisingly light with gentle coating and good carbonation.

Amazingly drinkable for what it is, a quad. From memory it's every bit as sensational as the V-Grand Cru was as a BSDA.

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%

Wow, this was one hell of a big beer. Poured a deep dark brown with no real head, just a thin layer of lace around the top of the glass, which did stick tough on its way down as well. Smell was alot of alcohol, could really set you back for a second, once it warmed it had a nice dark fruity grain like smell. The taste was a bit harsh, like rocket fuel harsh, too hot for me, and I like big beers. I really feel the alcohol really drowned out any of the subtle flavors that were there, just really overwhelmed it. The feel was good, smooth, not thin or watery and not too heavy. I think the real reason this suffers again is just too much alcohol. Still a good beer though, maybe just needs to sit for a while to age.

4.32/5  rDev +8%

Bottled August 27, 2004.
This is a bottle of beer with a history.
I gave this as a gift several years ago to fellow BA mtanji with the stipulation that we would share it when his son and my sons graduated from high school. That event occured last Thursday and on Friday evening I received a call inviting my wife and I over to his house to share this fine aged beer.
After sharing several selections from his most recent beer-of -the-month club delivery, we proceeded to open the 750ml caged bottle.
It poured as a deep ruby color beer with very nice white puffy head.
The smell is excellent with strong dark fruit notes abounding.
The taste is more fruitiness with a mild alcohol warmness in the mouth. It reminds me of the last time I had a nice after dinner cognac. Very pleasing.
This beer went down way too easy. Too easy to drink, but the warming feeling is very pleasant. I still have a bottle with the same bottling date. I wonder what it will be like at college graduation.

3.73/5  rDev -6.8%

This interesting quadrupel pours a bright cloudy orange amber with a very dense pleasing head that holds intensely and leaves nice lace.

The aroma is predominantly fruity and sweet with a slightly acidic sourness in the finish. Citrus, apple; an abundance of that great and familiar fruit/yeast Belgian aroma.

The taste is surprising. An eye-opening twang greats you immediately. Fruity and complex with yeasty qualities. Apple cider, citrus, prune, a bit of vanilla, and other assorted spices. The sweet tangy finish posses a real pleasing alcoholic warmth. Although the flavor was unique (in a good way), I couldn't help but feel like this beer was lacking that characteristic bitterness reminiscent of many similar Belgian Ales.

The mouthfeel is tangy and bitey with a good bit of fruit based acidity. Very formidable, and a bit harsher than many quads. But a nice warmth and soft carbonation.

Overall a good beer experience but if you are looking for a quadrupel, go with Rochefort 10 or Three Philosophers. Worth a try.

3.43/5  rDev -14.3%

Presentation: 750, corked and caged. Lots of descriptive text, bottled on date is clearly marked.

Appearance: Nice pop and a bit of smoke as the cork comes out. Reddish gold and clear, lots of small bubbles. Good medium sized head with great retention.

Smell: Lots of malt, with some spicy belgian yeast.

Taste: Malty with the same belgian yeast characteristics from the aroma. Some candy sugar in there as well.

Overall impression: This is a decent belgian offering - not my favorite I've had, but certainly enjoyable, and a decent value from Victory.

3.94/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from the 750mL bottle into a chalice.

Pours a translucent dark amber color with a fluffy white head. The head shrunk to an average lacing after a bit.

Smell is complex with sweet malts, fruits some bananas and currants maybe, bread, earthiness, something vegetal, and a lot of alcohol.

I can't get anything nearly as complex in the flavor. Up front I can get the a little of the fruit middle is all bready, and the finish seems a bit off with a sour boozy funk. However, the lingering numbing and fruit is nice.

This beer definitely falls within my top three favorite beers. I love the beer itself and the price is reasonable at $8 for a 750. It pours into my wide-mouth Chimay glass with a beautiful rosey color and not too much head. It smells sweet with some fruity tones. The taste is wonderful. Sweet and fruity at first and then ballanced out very nicely. Pick this one if you get a chance. Very drinkable!

3.88/5  rDev -3%

750 ml. Bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A: Cloudy amber in color with orange hues. Dense off white head pours tthree fingers thick. Good retention. Thin sticky lacing clings to the glass.

S: Bready malts. Peach. Banana clove. White pepper. Raw earth and alcohol.

T: The brew starts off with a pear like flavor and is immediately overwhelmed by sweet bread like malts. Flavors of peach and banana clove make their presence felt and are followed by a hot white pepper burn. Raw earth and flavors of apple are followed by a dry, warming alcohol bite.

M: Crisp and slightly slick. Moderate carbonation. Warm and dry.

D: A solid representation of the style. Very clean and quite complex. Alcohol is present but not as intense as the 12.00 % would imply. Recommended.

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

750 ML bottle poured into a tulip glass with the bottled on date being Aug 10 '06.

Pours a fairly clear burnt orange with an off-white bubble filled head. Lacing is here and there throughout tasting, but not much of it. The aroma starts off with a nice floral burst. Along with that comes the powerful fruity sweetness that dominates; apple, peach, pears. A tiny hint of toffee malt odor peaks as well. Flavor of this beer is very complex. The taste has a buttery alcohol flavor to it. Spiced orange peels tickle the tounge as well. As this beer warms, a caramel apple flavor seems to appear along with a tiny bit of smokey pepper. Carbonation makes the mouthfeel a bit rough, lots of continuous bubbles. Drinkability is scary good, 12% abv, you sure? Probably should have shared this with someone, definitely my only review of the night. Another win for Victory! wow, how lame...my bad.

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A nice orange/amber body and large white head. Some chunking developed.
Smells of yeast, biscuit, some banana and sour apple. alcohol is detectable
Taste is good, but not quite put together. the carbonation interupts the yeast and malt flavors. Raisin and persimmon try to come through, but don't make it. Again carbonation too much. Feels filmy, cannot get a fresh feel for it. Maybe I should have aged it or something.
the 22 oz bomber was a bit much. moving on to some more solid brews seems right.

V-Twelve from Victory Brewing Company