White Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

White MonkeyWhite Monkey

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Belgian inspired Tripel ale, Golden Monkey aged for 3 months in oak white wine bbls.

(Beer added by: Jonada on 03-05-2013)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Victory Brewing Company's White Monkey a couple weeks ago for $8.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer for a little while, I had Golden Monkey a few years ago and I thought it was just ok and I'm interested to see how it takes to being aged in white wine barrels, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml corked and caged bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, but the colors are pretty bland and I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a very hazy golden color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light and it had a finger and half of bubbly white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some small spotty lacing behind. The was a nice looking beer,. but I wish the head and retention were better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the Tripel base being the first to show up and imparts some typical Tripel aromas that are just a little on the light side and the Belgian yeast seems to show up just enough. Up next comes a slightly musty and funky aroma that lead right in the wine barrel which imparts some nice white wine aromas that are very similar to a standard bottle of white wine and it's followed by some nice woody and oak like aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, but I wish it was balanced just a little better since the white wine barrel aspects seem to dominate this beer.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma but much lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the Tripel base still being the first to show up, but it's even lighter than it was in the aroma and the Belgian yeast just comes through a little. Up next comes a slight alcohol flavor and it followed by a lighter amount of that musty and funky aspect that I got in the aroma and it leads right into the wine barrel which imparts the exact same aspects that it did in the aroma, but this time they are lighter, but it's still the wine barrel that sticks out the most. On the finish there's a slight amount of bitterness with an even slighter amount of tartness and it had a very white wine barrel like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the Tripel base showed up more, it's a little hard to pin point this as a Tripel from the taste alone.

M- Fairly smooth, very crisp, slightly prickly, dry on the finish, medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty good mouthfeel and I thought it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer, but I didn't think it was too recognizable as a Tripel, but for a Wine Barrel aged beer it seems pretty standard and I thought it lacked some of the balance and complexity that I was hoping it would have. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, very crisp, slightly prickly, dry on the finish, not too filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I think half the bottle is the perfect amount for me, but I think I would be able to drink the whole bottle if I had nobody to split it with and I think it makes for a nice beer to enjoy on a warm summer evening. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, I thought it was pretty good and it was the aspect that worked the best with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, it seemed like the Tripel base got pretty overshadowed by the white wine barrels. I might buy this beer again, I wouldn't turn one down, but I'm not going to be rushing back to the store to by more, but I did think it was reasonably priced. I wouldn't recommend this beer to everyone especially if they aren't a big fan of White Wine flavors, but I think this might make a good gateway beer for wine drinkers, it's worth giving a try once to see what you think of it. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it, it had some nice flavors and a pretty good mouthfeel, but with the lack of balance and complexity made it a little rough around the edges. This isn't my favorite wine barrel aged beer, Tripel, or Victory Brewing Company beer, but it isn't a bad beer, it's just not really much of a stand out. Nice job guys, but I think with a little work this could be a pretty good beer.

4.44/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Victory White Monkey
750 ml bottle, corked and caged
I could not find any freshness dating but I'm sure I just missed it

I was surprised when I pulled the cork from the bottle that it didn't "pop". Following that, a fairly aggressive pour was requireded to bring up any head on it. It looked good once formed though, with a thin cap of creamy white foam atop a cloudy golden-orange body. (Had it rested and left the sediment behind would it look better clear?) The head held well, and it left some very nice lacing about the glass.

In the nose it was almost perfume-like with notes of cedar, torn green leaves, flowers, dull spice (with the exception of some brighter coriander), and a spritz of fruit (grape/orange/grapefruit/pineapple/mango/papaya, and at one point even a note of coconut) with a hint of vanilla underneath. It conjured for me an image of myself sitting in a bamboo hut surrounded by vegetation and mountains opening some small wooden box to find beautiful golden fruits and spices inside.

As I'd expected, it was fairly soft in the mouth with just a caress of carbonation across the tongue. I liked that, but I wasn't sure if it was intended that way or not. Should I have cellared it for a few weeks to let it build some carbonation? And would it be better with a bit more zest to it?

The flavor followed the aroma, and it was interestingly woody with lots of cedar and drying notes of oak. Malt was present but acted more as a base for the wood, spice, and fruit. The bitterness was kept in check, and the alcohol was well cloaked. As you progress through the glass, all of the components take a step forward to present themselves a little bit more on their own than as part of the whole, leaving it quite complex, and yet at the same time not complicated or confusing at all. Lemon and oak with a drip of sugar syrup followed by a swirl of spice in the dry finish. It's remarkably accessible and easy to drink, but there is depth of character if you choose to seek it out.

Victory has never let me down before, and this is an impressive beer. I'm assuming that it's just their standard Golden Monkey aged in previously used oak barrels (wine, probably Chardonnay) but it becomes something completely unto itself. Well worth trying, and probably worth seeking out.

4.01/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours into a large tulip glass a slight hazed deep burnt orange with a blooming large white head that left broken chunks of lace as it settled slowly into a frothy mass.Oaky lactic notes hit the nose upfront along with some spiced phenols,as it sits more vanilla warm spice comes into play.Vanilla tinged oak and phenols at the onset of the palate with a mild lactic sourness,the vanilla oak barrel plays a big role and the phenols are more minor.I like this beer alot,alot more than many,I like the complexities of it,a great patio sipper.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance – This is a dingy orange in color with little head, definitely not meeting my expectations for the style.

Smell – There’s a rich coriander nose here that I could wear as an afttershave and a light herbal note.

Taste – This ale fell apart at the taste unfortunately. The efforts to spice up the beer were made at the expense of the malt base.

Mouthfeel – This is a bit bigger than medium-bodied and rightly carbonated.

Drinkability – The was herbal overkil in my opinion and missed the mark on the nuanced nature fo the style.

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

750 ml bottle. Pours clear golden orange with a medium white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is bready malts with some banana and grapes, pepper, minty flowers, yeast and fusel alcohol.

The flavor is sweet bready malts with some banana and grapes and quite a bit of peppery alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low smooth carbonation.

Overall, an OK tripel. I don't notice much from the barrel - maybe a little more fruitiness.

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

750ml corked and caged bottle with no date.

White Monkey is a slightly hazy golden yellow-orange color. The head is thin and short lived.

Aroma is sweet with tropical fruit but also has some oaky characteristics from the barrel aging.

Flavor is really heavy on the vanilla and maintains that sweetness from the tripel. It's well matched but is certainly stronger than I expected.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated in the bottle.

Overall a good oaked beer. I don't think I've had such a light beer that has been barrel aged and the character from the barrel comes through loud and clear. Good thing if you like vanilla.

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%