White Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

White MonkeyWhite Monkey

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Belgian inspired Tripel ale, Golden Monkey aged for 3 months in oak white wine bbls.

(Beer added by: Jonada on 03-05-2013)
Reviews by adamette:
3.73/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Live review. Poured from the corked and caged 750ML bottle that I bought at World Wines & Liquor one or two months ago into a clean, clear glass. I used my Voodoo Brewing Company pint glass. No observed “best by” date but at 9.5% ABV I do not think that it is a factor.

A Brief off white but thin head over a ver light caramel slightly hazy but translucent body. Head dissipated to a single layer of bubbles after only about one minute. Much of that is expected with the high ABV and aged properties of this beer. 3.5
Edit: Repeated pours revealed a significantly more dense look with sediment visible as well. My last glass (there were about 2.5 glasses) was an opaque moderate caramel and not translucent with the same qualities in the head. I will increase score to 4.0

S I know that the label mentions that is was aged in Wine Barrels but it really reminds me of so many of the bourbon barrel aged beers that I have enjoyed in the past. Anyway, a great smelling Brach’s butterscotch smell with a perceptible warmth of alcohol. What I do not smell is the source beer (Golden Monkey) which is interesting. That beer had a certain alcohol “heat” to the smell that, while welcome, was distinctive. That heat is well managed in the smell of this beer. Very interesting and delicious smelling. 4.5

T Hmmm....interesting....at first there was this great warmth of alcohol and that “bourbon barrel aged” sense of comfort but then the latter part of the taste turned a little harsh, (possibly from the heat of Golden Monkey?). Repeated sips confirm my comments. I feel compelled to write that this is a “tale of two beers.” One is a great smelling beer reminicsent of a barrel aged beer whose initial taste is fabulous and the other is a harsh, hot mess of a beer. Unfortunately, it is the harsh beer whose taste continues into the aftertaste. 3.5

M Moderately big beer made bigger in the latter one half of the taste by the harshness. 3.5

D/O Drinkability is interesting. It is such a big beer but it offers enough for me to enjoy repeated sips. Overall it is above average. I am a sucker for all variations of Golden Monkey, the first Tripel that I tasted. 3.5

4.44/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Victory White Monkey
750 ml bottle, corked and caged
I could not find any freshness dating but I'm sure I just missed it

I was surprised when I pulled the cork from the bottle that it didn't "pop". Following that, a fairly aggressive pour was requireded to bring up any head on it. It looked good once formed though, with a thin cap of creamy white foam atop a cloudy golden-orange body. (Had it rested and left the sediment behind would it look better clear?) The head held well, and it left some very nice lacing about the glass.

In the nose it was almost perfume-like with notes of cedar, torn green leaves, flowers, dull spice (with the exception of some brighter coriander), and a spritz of fruit (grape/orange/grapefruit/pineapple/mango/papaya, and at one point even a note of coconut) with a hint of vanilla underneath. It conjured for me an image of myself sitting in a bamboo hut surrounded by vegetation and mountains opening some small wooden box to find beautiful golden fruits and spices inside.

As I'd expected, it was fairly soft in the mouth with just a caress of carbonation across the tongue. I liked that, but I wasn't sure if it was intended that way or not. Should I have cellared it for a few weeks to let it build some carbonation? And would it be better with a bit more zest to it?

The flavor followed the aroma, and it was interestingly woody with lots of cedar and drying notes of oak. Malt was present but acted more as a base for the wood, spice, and fruit. The bitterness was kept in check, and the alcohol was well cloaked. As you progress through the glass, all of the components take a step forward to present themselves a little bit more on their own than as part of the whole, leaving it quite complex, and yet at the same time not complicated or confusing at all. Lemon and oak with a drip of sugar syrup followed by a swirl of spice in the dry finish. It's remarkably accessible and easy to drink, but there is depth of character if you choose to seek it out.

Victory has never let me down before, and this is an impressive beer. I'm assuming that it's just their standard Golden Monkey aged in previously used oak barrels (wine, probably Chardonnay) but it becomes something completely unto itself. Well worth trying, and probably worth seeking out.

4.01/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours into a large tulip glass a slight hazed deep burnt orange with a blooming large white head that left broken chunks of lace as it settled slowly into a frothy mass.Oaky lactic notes hit the nose upfront along with some spiced phenols,as it sits more vanilla warm spice comes into play.Vanilla tinged oak and phenols at the onset of the palate with a mild lactic sourness,the vanilla oak barrel plays a big role and the phenols are more minor.I like this beer alot,alot more than many,I like the complexities of it,a great patio sipper.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance – This is a dingy orange in color with little head, definitely not meeting my expectations for the style.

Smell – There’s a rich coriander nose here that I could wear as an afttershave and a light herbal note.

Taste – This ale fell apart at the taste unfortunately. The efforts to spice up the beer were made at the expense of the malt base.

Mouthfeel – This is a bit bigger than medium-bodied and rightly carbonated.

Drinkability – The was herbal overkil in my opinion and missed the mark on the nuanced nature fo the style.

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

750 ml bottle. Pours clear golden orange with a medium white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is bready malts with some banana and grapes, pepper, minty flowers, yeast and fusel alcohol.

The flavor is sweet bready malts with some banana and grapes and quite a bit of peppery alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low smooth carbonation.

Overall, an OK tripel. I don't notice much from the barrel - maybe a little more fruitiness.

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

750ml corked and caged bottle with no date.

White Monkey is a slightly hazy golden yellow-orange color. The head is thin and short lived.

Aroma is sweet with tropical fruit but also has some oaky characteristics from the barrel aging.

Flavor is really heavy on the vanilla and maintains that sweetness from the tripel. It's well matched but is certainly stronger than I expected.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated in the bottle.

Overall a good oaked beer. I don't think I've had such a light beer that has been barrel aged and the character from the barrel comes through loud and clear. Good thing if you like vanilla.

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%