2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

White Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

White MonkeyWhite Monkey

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Belgian inspired Tripel ale, Golden Monkey aged for 3 months in oak white wine bbls.

(Beer added by: Jonada on 03-05-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 246 | Reviews: 60 | Show All Ratings:
srhoadsy

4.31/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served chilled into a fluted tulip.

Pours a beautiful hazy bronze color with a quarter inch head that quickly recedes leaving light surface layer and lacing.

Sweet aromas of citrus and tropical fruits, vanilla and caramelized sugars.

Flavors of orange marmalade, vanilla, honey and Malibu rum. Sweet and delicious.

Medium bodied with a sweet but surprisingly crisp and effervescent finish for a beer that at first seemed to have very little carbonation. Very mild aftertaste.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. It is not only delicious, but also very affordable, I paid 8$ a bottle. My only caution would be that this is a very sweet beer, bordering on being more of a dessert beer.

04-29-2013 23:23:51 | More by srhoadsy
twiggamortis420

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I've always had a soft spot for the Golden Monkey...lets see what the albino version has to offer...750 mL bottle pours a nearly flat hazed gold color with very little head, the cork didn't pop either. It's not totally devoid of carbonation, but it is definitely on the very low side.

Nose is very wine influenced, like a buttery chardonnay...I'm certainly not a wine expert, but if I had to put money on it, that's the varietal I'd pick. The yeast/malt combo still gives me a peanut butter aroma that I get with alot of tripels, particularly American-brewed versions. Seems more fruity than GM and maybe even a light cherry tartness.

Interesting...the wood is very heavy and plays well with the Belgian yeast. The wine influence doesnt seem as large as it did on the nose, though maybe the fruitiness is an expression of the grapes. Its complex, has nice flow and tons of flavor. It hides the ABV way better than Golden Monkey and the lack of carbonation isn't really an issue on the taste. I could do without the coriander...while it works with low ABV wits for me, the higher alcohol beers seem to clash with the cilantro seed. I really like this and think it is an excellent experiment by Victory. I'm typically not a repeat $10+ C&C purchase kinda guy unless the beer is really good, but I will be sorely tempted by the Caucasian Monkey next time I visit the beer store.

04-29-2013 22:43:57 | More by twiggamortis420
GilGarp

Colorado

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

750ml corked and caged bottle with no date.

White Monkey is a slightly hazy golden yellow-orange color. The head is thin and short lived.

Aroma is sweet with tropical fruit but also has some oaky characteristics from the barrel aging.

Flavor is really heavy on the vanilla and maintains that sweetness from the tripel. It's well matched but is certainly stronger than I expected.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated in the bottle.

Overall a good oaked beer. I don't think I've had such a light beer that has been barrel aged and the character from the barrel comes through loud and clear. Good thing if you like vanilla.

04-25-2013 01:57:04 | More by GilGarp
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

3.89/5  rDev +1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750ml C&C bottle into a snifter

A: pours a very clear golden color with a finger of fairly quickly receding head. Poor lacing.

S: Pineapple sweetness mixes with strong white wine, a nice tartness, a bit of diacetyl, and a touch of oak. As the beer warms, I get a nice phenolic nature more akin to the style.

T: A bit muddled - a slight sweetness is quickly overridden by an oaky, tannic, alcohol bite. Some phenolic spicy flavors come out, but not quite enough for my taste.

M: Medium thickness with strong carbonation.

O: The wine barrel aging adds some spiciness and makes for a bit drier beer than the base. It also muddles the flavors a bit, though. In the end, it's a better beer.

04-24-2013 00:55:00 | More by coreyfmcdonald
Resuin

4.24/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a medium amber color and leaves a very minimal head, less than half a finger.

Smell: Banana, cloves, Belgian yeast, honey, lemon as well as perhaps some pear, peach and grapes. Fairly pleasant but also pretty light.

Taste: Matches the aroma pretty well: banana, cloves, grapes, honey, lemon, pear, Belgian yeast, spices as well as some oak. Very balanced and the finish is very pleasant and mild, I'm guessing from the time in the wine barrels.

Mouth-feel: Lightly carbonated, light to medium bodied, and very smooth.

Overall: This is definitely an improvement on its base, Golden Monkey. It has all the notes of golden monkey but the punch is a bit more subdued and balanced. The wine barrels did not reinvent this beer but rather improved it. This is a fantastic triple and I recommend it if you enjoy the style.

04-20-2013 21:24:04 | More by Resuin
flyers1980

3.11/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got a bomber of this at Capone's in Norristown after I was unsuccessful in getting it at the brewery. They sold it for $15 (!!!), which was a lot to shell out for a beer that's typically going for $8.99 or so. After being blown away by Oak Horizontal I was really looking forward to trying this beer. Unfortunately, this bomber bombed in my book. To me, almost all the characteristics of Golden Monkey were washed away in the midst of overpowering white wine. I like white wine, so I found it palatable. If you don't, skip this one. If you do like white wine, in a carbonated, champagne-y, way you might want to try but you're really not missing anything if you don't.

04-19-2013 15:12:20 | More by flyers1980
avalon07

South Carolina

A: Poured from a bottle to a goblet. Had an orange color and a cloudy consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Pretty good lacing.

S: A nice aroma of fruit, yeast, malt, and spices. Pretty much what you'd expect from a tripel.

T: A big flavor consisting of fruit (pears especially), a bit of malt, spices, and some Belgian yeast. Definitely one of the better flavors of an American version of a Belgian style. Vibrant and complex.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a sharp finish. Medium-bodied.

O: A well made big beer. Certainly a good effort. Drinkable.

04-17-2013 19:28:34 | More by avalon07
jzeilinger

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

A - Pours bright, clear gold color with a thin, but creamy thick layer of white foam, gentle carbonation.

S - White grapes, oak, earthy funk, pears, light Belgian spice, and yeast.

T - Follows the nose - oak, pears, white grapes, a little bit of funk, Belgian spice, light yeast, pepper, lemons, honey, tart, and acidic.

M - Gentle mouthfeel, low carbonation on the tongue, medium body with a slight bit of thickness and a very dry, chardonnay-like finish.

O - This version of the monkey is much drier and lacks the sweetness of the original version (which is a good thing because Golden Monkey can be too sweet). This version exhibits a significant amount of chardonnay character. Interesting and I prefer this over the original, I'll buy a few more and stash them away to see where they go.

04-13-2013 01:44:38 | More by jzeilinger
TMoney2591

2.63/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

A wine barrel-aged tripel from a solid brewery? Sign me up. This stuff pours a clear brass topped by a finger of off-cream-white foam. The nose comprises fresh gauze, vague citrus (leaning toward lemon, but there's a Squirt-like burst of lime in there at times as well), light black pepper, a pinch of clove, light cream cheese, and a touch of wet balsa. The taste holds notes of funky lemon rind, old banana peel, clove, used gauze, corked chardonnay (and, frankly, the corking wasn't the worst thing to happen to that wine...), and a wave of indescribably off floral bitterness. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, a pretty sad excuse for a final product, one that proves that barrel-aging does not a success make. *shudder*

04-09-2013 05:35:34 | More by TMoney2591
BigBarley

2.58/5  rDev -33%

Pours a deep, almost brown gold. Big head that recedes to a foam cap over a matter of a few minutes

Aroma includes a strange woody note beneath, but is dominated by wild yeast and a strange chardonnay character. Also, oddly enough, a weird hint of cheddar cheese that completely ruins the aroma for me.

Wine notes blast you in the mouth at first, followed by a strange Corn Flake character, wrapped in bad woody flavors and a mess of weird bitterness. Not impressed.

Wow... what a waste of money.

04-07-2013 15:42:29 | More by BigBarley
NeroFiddled

4.44/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Victory White Monkey
750 ml bottle, corked and caged
I could not find any freshness dating but I'm sure I just missed it

I was surprised when I pulled the cork from the bottle that it didn't "pop". Following that, a fairly aggressive pour was requireded to bring up any head on it. It looked good once formed though, with a thin cap of creamy white foam atop a cloudy golden-orange body. (Had it rested and left the sediment behind would it look better clear?) The head held well, and it left some very nice lacing about the glass.

In the nose it was almost perfume-like with notes of cedar, torn green leaves, flowers, dull spice (with the exception of some brighter coriander), and a spritz of fruit (grape/orange/grapefruit/pineapple/mango/papaya, and at one point even a note of coconut) with a hint of vanilla underneath. It conjured for me an image of myself sitting in a bamboo hut surrounded by vegetation and mountains opening some small wooden box to find beautiful golden fruits and spices inside.

As I'd expected, it was fairly soft in the mouth with just a caress of carbonation across the tongue. I liked that, but I wasn't sure if it was intended that way or not. Should I have cellared it for a few weeks to let it build some carbonation? And would it be better with a bit more zest to it?

The flavor followed the aroma, and it was interestingly woody with lots of cedar and drying notes of oak. Malt was present but acted more as a base for the wood, spice, and fruit. The bitterness was kept in check, and the alcohol was well cloaked. As you progress through the glass, all of the components take a step forward to present themselves a little bit more on their own than as part of the whole, leaving it quite complex, and yet at the same time not complicated or confusing at all. Lemon and oak with a drip of sugar syrup followed by a swirl of spice in the dry finish. It's remarkably accessible and easy to drink, but there is depth of character if you choose to seek it out.

Victory has never let me down before, and this is an impressive beer. I'm assuming that it's just their standard Golden Monkey aged in previously used oak barrels (wine, probably Chardonnay) but it becomes something completely unto itself. Well worth trying, and probably worth seeking out.

04-05-2013 00:40:14 | More by NeroFiddled
AlyssaW

3.59/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a 750ml from a local liquor store.

Appearance: very pale yellow color, much lighter than I expected. Medium foam head.

Smell: very fruity with a light oak smell. Very lemon like.

Taste: Lemon and oak are the most prevalent taste. It has a bitter yet fruity aftertaste.

Carbonation: medium high carbonation.

Overall: a good quality beer, but not for me. I enjoy Golden Monkey much better. If you enjoy lemon fruity type beers this is for you.

04-04-2013 23:08:50 | More by AlyssaW
DMXLOX22

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Grabbed a 22 ounce of this brew from my local establishment, Covera's I've had golden monkey and liked it. Lets see how this rarity matches up.

Appearance: pours a nice, golden, yellow almost pale. Leaves a nice residue of fine, white lacing and a barely noticeable frothy head. Not very impressed by the coloring I'm sad to say. Is quite nice with the orange peel-like hue, but I was expecting something maybe darker or more hazy.

Smell: Has a nice sweetness aroma that is balanced with malts. Fruits are noticed like lemon zest and grapes. Quite nice. The aroma is rounded out with a very slight undertone of spices, possibly coriander

Taste: Quite nice upon first sip pings. Has a complex of buttery oaks, which gives it a slight bitterness. But the bitterness is balanced out with lemon and orange. There's a bready like flavor but has A nice undertone of honey.

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation. Slight of alcohol is noticed, and is a bit dry.

Overall: not so bad upon my first encounter. I'm not entirely a big wine fan, but is actually quite nice and delicious. I was a little skeptical when I did my first pour. But as I sipped more and more, I really enjoyed it. The slight bitterness did help balance a slight sweetness this beer brought to the table. I would try again, and would definitely recommend to a friend. Cheers!

04-02-2013 02:03:54 | More by DMXLOX22
Beaver13

Colorado

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

750 ml bottle. Pours clear golden orange with a medium white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is bready malts with some banana and grapes, pepper, minty flowers, yeast and fusel alcohol.

The flavor is sweet bready malts with some banana and grapes and quite a bit of peppery alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low smooth carbonation.

Overall, an OK tripel. I don't notice much from the barrel - maybe a little more fruitiness.

04-01-2013 05:19:03 | More by Beaver13
FeDUBBELFIST

4.59/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

$9 for the 750mL, served in a tulip
Sampled 10MAR13

[A] Half a finger of bright white foamy head rises and falls in twenty seconds or so, leaving a bubbly collar and a few strands of lace. The body is golden yellow-orange in color and very still.

[S] The resemblance between Golden Monkey and White Monkey is actually quite small - if not entirely nonexistent. There are no banana/clove esters; there are practically no yeast notes at all. This works in my favor since I'm not a huge fan of Golden Monkey...or Tripels for that matter.

[T] First of all, the level of American oak is perfect. Soft and smooth with a mildly spicy character and notes of butter and vanillin. The oaky flavor/texture is silky smooth. (I would have guessed French oak to be honest.) A hint of Belgian yeast pokes through, but the overall yeast profile is downplayed and very clean.

[M] The mild tannic fuzzy feeling works well with the low level of bitterness and sweet finish. Light carbonation begins at midpalate and finely scrubs the tongue well after the swallow. Despite the sweet finish, the tongue remains free of the cloying sensation.

[O] I'm not sure what the overall dissatisfaction is with this beer. I think it's great. Perhaps Victory is just an easy target when it comes to special releases. In any case, I happen to think that White Monkey and Oak Horizontal are fantastic - and Red Thunder is way better than average. Dark Intrigue didn't do much for me (but that is a hard arena to step in these days) and I don't think Storm King is the right base beer for bourbon barrel treatment anyway.

03-30-2013 15:21:24 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
beerman207

Kentucky

4.26/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Saw this at my local Kroger of all places. White monkey? Brother of Golden Monkey? Yes please.

A: color is an orange hue. pours with a nice 2 inch white fluffy head that leaves some lacing behind.

S: Nose is a bit of orange, some clove, and some white wine coming through. Later on I pick up some nice floral smell as well

T: This is where I think the beer excels - if you like the golden monkey, I think this is a good variant. The heat comes through a little stronger on the tongue with the wine and you can definitely pick up the wine. It has a citrus orange and a bit of bitter finish that sweetens as it leaves the palate

M: Carbonation is good and it leaves a nice warming feeling

O: A great offering overall. Very pleased with this one.

03-30-2013 00:50:31 | More by beerman207
jokemon

3.35/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I would like to start by saying that I really enjoy golden monkey. So I was very intrigued when I saw that they decided to take it and age it in white wine barrels for 3 months.

After tasting this beer however I will say that I am not a fan. Don't get me wrong, the beer is ok and I can appreciate it for what they were going for but I have one major problem:

It taste like a stick.

The wood presence is way too strong in this beer. With other oak aged beers I've had the other flavors are so strong that they cancel out the oak a little bit, but with this beer the wood taste is overpowering.

03-29-2013 01:37:17 | More by jokemon
JohnnyMc

Haven't had Golden Monkey in awhile, should be an interesting variation.

Pours out a bright golden yellow/orange with 2 fingers of a very white and fluffy head.

The aroma has some white grape notes, oak, vanilla, some orange peel and lemon, a little bit of banana and clove and some traditional Belgian yeast characteristics.

The taste is very similar. Much heavier on the vanilla than in the aroma, a big white grape note, some oak, orange peel, lemon with light hints of banana and clove. There are some Belgian yeast notes of fruity esters and a hint of spiciness.

The body is light and the mouthfeel is slight creamy. There isn't as much carbonation as I would like and the traditional Tripel elements are a little light, but overall this is a very tasty and unique beer! Glad to try it.

03-26-2013 03:39:13 | More by JohnnyMc
smakawhat

Maryland

4.46/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

A real nice tangerine orange, slightly hazy/murky body, very small rising carbonation coming up, with a middle small column of carbonation of translucent bubbles. Head barely makes a finger to settle to a simple white collar. There is a little bit of yeast sediment on the top? actually it looks like real tiny orange zest peels!, even on a decanted pour.

Nose is quite impressive. Classic Belgian sweetness, with a sense of white grape but a wonderful sense of butter chardonnay like oak quality (not diacetyl). Inviting and warming, hints of spicy coriander perhaps? also. This is really nice on the nose.

The palate matches the bouquet, and brings more. First sip is a lovely warming vinous feeling heat, but with hints of buttery oak. A bit tannic sharp, but the palate brings some mellow lemon and orange fruit. The aftertaste is a big surprise as the Belgian candi and the malts open with sweetness of honey and bread. Spicy quality hits on the finish also, with honey coating the lips, and a hop bitterness matching with woody tannic quality to go with it.

Overall this has a sense of a boozy tripel, but isn't alcohol hot. It's got wine character galore, and then even has the nice classic playful sweetness. I love wine like tripels, and I am more convinced this is grand more because of the barrel than the recipe. This barrel made this brew truly wonderful, cause I am not a fan of regular Golden Monkey. Real nice, real memorable.

03-25-2013 15:51:18 | More by smakawhat
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Served in a DC Brau tulip.

Drank this while watching "Rise of the Planet of the Apes." Kinda perfect, huh?

A: Poured a glistening, clear, red/amber/gold color, with a slight head that died down pretty quickly. Must be the wine barrels.

S: Whoa. Not what I was expecting. Pretty much all of the intense banana flair from the Golden Monkey is now gone, and in its place, there is a nice spice-like component: white pepper (lots!) Wasa cracker, and mothballs. All of this was on top of the Belgian, citrusy taste/smell profile.

T: Well, the finish was distinctively "Golden Monkey," but everything else was unrecognizable. The extremely banana-esque flair is now gone, and now a sweetened, spicy, Belgian yeast strain exists. Nice!

M: Like I said, sugar-infused, but there was JUST enough of that Belgian funk to cut it. Not much lacing, but that's not what these barrel-aged brews are about anyway.

O: This is at least twice as good as the base beer. I hope Victory brews it again.

03-21-2013 02:34:55 | More by Chaney
DrDemento456

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Snagged a bottle of this for 10 bucks at the Allegheny six pack shop next to my house. May have overpaid by a couple of bucks but I am psyched to try it.

A - Somewhat hazy orange yellow color much darker than Golden Monkey with just a layer of sticky lace that forms a ring.
S - Papaya and Guava fruits next to some port wine and candied sugar malts. Smell is more wine than I expected so hopefully it's integrated nicely.
T - White wine and some boozy stinging flavors mixed next with your fruity yeasts and somewhat a chalky finish. Really surprised how much the white wine flavor dominated making this already boozy triple even boozier (if that's a word). After a while the flavors kind of mend but I could use more fruity yeast flavor.
M - Medium to heavy, ABV is noticeable, finish is very on the dry side.
Overall I wouldn't call it a waste but it's better than I expected. Man I must be retarded or something because I keep buying these beers and I straight up hate wine.

03-20-2013 01:07:28 | More by DrDemento456
justintcoons

4.16/5  rDev +8.1%

750ml poured into a tulip.

Appearance
Pale gold with 2 fingers of white head that leaves behind a nice layer of lacing. Excellent clarity and very low carbonation.

Nose
White wine, pear, caramel candies and candy sugar.

Taste
White wine, pear and cantaloupe. Caramel candies and pale candy sugar. Hints of peach and apple. Some naked oak, coriander and lemon zest. Some big tannins are found in the finish.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, crisp, dry and surprisingly clean.

Overall
A tremendous step above the Golden Monkey. The Wine Barrel aging worked wonders on this one.

03-18-2013 17:36:40 | More by justintcoons
MDDMD

3.84/5  rDev -0.3%

A-hazy golden yellow color with a nice white head and good lacing

S-grainy malt, banana, hints of grape and cloves

T-bananas, malt, tart grapes,citrus, cloves, just a hint of oak and sweetness

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp and slightly astringent

O-it seems as though the barrel and the base beer cancel each other out to some degree, really don't get a lot of either. Not bad , but nothing distinguishing.

03-17-2013 21:04:52 | More by MDDMD
garuda

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Golden body, slight haze, white cap has decent retention and good lace.

S - Surprisingly, very similar to the standard Monkey. Fruity banana esters mostly.

T - Oak is much more in the forefront than I expected. Vanilla, oak, candied banana, hay, herbal. I'm not getting many wine flavors, maybe a little white grape. Much more oak presence than wine.

M - Full body, moderate carbonation, stays smooth, dry on the finish.

O - I liked this more than the base beer. The oak gives it more dimension, and balances/cuts out so much of that banana sweetness that Golden Monkey has.

03-17-2013 18:00:52 | More by garuda
Oakenator

4.46/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours broze colored with a slight head. Spotted lacing. Smell is spicy, citrusy, with presence of woody notes. Flavor has grown on me through the bottle - initially a bit of a different take on a beer-wine combo but then revealing a Belgian styled triple up front but followed with oak notes and a bit of alcohol bite on the end. Banana has disappeared from the non-oak version. Different, but good.

03-17-2013 02:08:20 | More by Oakenator