White Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

White MonkeyWhite Monkey

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Belgian inspired Tripel ale, Golden Monkey aged for 3 months in oak white wine bbls.

(Beer added by: Jonada on 03-05-2013)
Gagnonsux

jbdpsu82

04-09-2013 14:02:45 | More by jbdpsu82
TMoney2591

2.63/5  rDev -31.7%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

A wine barrel-aged tripel from a solid brewery? Sign me up. This stuff pours a clear brass topped by a finger of off-cream-white foam. The nose comprises fresh gauze, vague citrus (leaning toward lemon, but there's a Squirt-like burst of lime in there at times as well), light black pepper, a pinch of clove, light cream cheese, and a touch of wet balsa. The taste holds notes of funky lemon rind, old banana peel, clove, used gauze, corked chardonnay (and, frankly, the corking wasn't the worst thing to happen to that wine...), and a wave of indescribably off floral bitterness. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, a pretty sad excuse for a final product, one that proves that barrel-aging does not a success make. *shudder*

04-09-2013 05:35:34 | More by TMoney2591
kaelingirl

04-07-2013 21:45:50 | More by kaelingirl
BigBarley

2.58/5  rDev -33%

Pours a deep, almost brown gold. Big head that recedes to a foam cap over a matter of a few minutes

Aroma includes a strange woody note beneath, but is dominated by wild yeast and a strange chardonnay character. Also, oddly enough, a weird hint of cheddar cheese that completely ruins the aroma for me.

Wine notes blast you in the mouth at first, followed by a strange Corn Flake character, wrapped in bad woody flavors and a mess of weird bitterness. Not impressed.

Wow... what a waste of money.

04-07-2013 15:42:29 | More by BigBarley

NeroFiddled

4.44/5  rDev +15.3%

Victory White Monkey
750 ml bottle, corked and caged
I could not find any freshness dating but I'm sure I just missed it

I was surprised when I pulled the cork from the bottle that it didn't "pop". Following that, a fairly aggressive pour was requireded to bring up any head on it. It looked good once formed though, with a thin cap of creamy white foam atop a cloudy golden-orange body. (Had it rested and left the sediment behind would it look better clear?) The head held well, and it left some very nice lacing about the glass.

In the nose it was almost perfume-like with notes of cedar, torn green leaves, flowers, dull spice (with the exception of some brighter coriander), and a spritz of fruit (grape/orange/grapefruit/pineapple/mango/papaya, and at one point even a note of coconut) with a hint of vanilla underneath. It conjured for me an image of myself sitting in a bamboo hut surrounded by vegetation and mountains opening some small wooden box to find beautiful golden fruits and spices inside.

As I'd expected, it was fairly soft in the mouth with just a caress of carbonation across the tongue. I liked that, but I wasn't sure if it was intended that way or not. Should I have cellared it for a few weeks to let it build some carbonation? And would it be better with a bit more zest to it?

The flavor followed the aroma, and it was interestingly woody with lots of cedar and drying notes of oak. Malt was present but acted more as a base for the wood, spice, and fruit. The bitterness was kept in check, and the alcohol was well cloaked. As you progress through the glass, all of the components take a step forward to present themselves a little bit more on their own than as part of the whole, leaving it quite complex, and yet at the same time not complicated or confusing at all. Lemon and oak with a drip of sugar syrup followed by a swirl of spice in the dry finish. It's remarkably accessible and easy to drink, but there is depth of character if you choose to seek it out.

Victory has never let me down before, and this is an impressive beer. I'm assuming that it's just their standard Golden Monkey aged in previously used oak barrels (wine, probably Chardonnay) but it becomes something completely unto itself. Well worth trying, and probably worth seeking out.

04-05-2013 00:40:14 | More by NeroFiddled
AlyssaW

3.59/5  rDev -6.8%

Picked up a 750ml from a local liquor store.

Appearance: very pale yellow color, much lighter than I expected. Medium foam head.

Smell: very fruity with a light oak smell. Very lemon like.

Taste: Lemon and oak are the most prevalent taste. It has a bitter yet fruity aftertaste.

Carbonation: medium high carbonation.

Overall: a good quality beer, but not for me. I enjoy Golden Monkey much better. If you enjoy lemon fruity type beers this is for you.

04-04-2013 23:08:50 | More by AlyssaW
DMXLOX22

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%

Grabbed a 22 ounce of this brew from my local establishment, Covera's I've had golden monkey and liked it. Lets see how this rarity matches up.

Appearance: pours a nice, golden, yellow almost pale. Leaves a nice residue of fine, white lacing and a barely noticeable frothy head. Not very impressed by the coloring I'm sad to say. Is quite nice with the orange peel-like hue, but I was expecting something maybe darker or more hazy.

Smell: Has a nice sweetness aroma that is balanced with malts. Fruits are noticed like lemon zest and grapes. Quite nice. The aroma is rounded out with a very slight undertone of spices, possibly coriander

Taste: Quite nice upon first sip pings. Has a complex of buttery oaks, which gives it a slight bitterness. But the bitterness is balanced out with lemon and orange. There's a bready like flavor but has A nice undertone of honey.

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation. Slight of alcohol is noticed, and is a bit dry.

Overall: not so bad upon my first encounter. I'm not entirely a big wine fan, but is actually quite nice and delicious. I was a little skeptical when I did my first pour. But as I sipped more and more, I really enjoyed it. The slight bitterness did help balance a slight sweetness this beer brought to the table. I would try again, and would definitely recommend to a friend. Cheers!

04-02-2013 02:03:54 | More by DMXLOX22
Beaver13

Colorado

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

750 ml bottle. Pours clear golden orange with a medium white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is bready malts with some banana and grapes, pepper, minty flowers, yeast and fusel alcohol.

The flavor is sweet bready malts with some banana and grapes and quite a bit of peppery alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low smooth carbonation.

Overall, an OK tripel. I don't notice much from the barrel - maybe a little more fruitiness.

04-01-2013 05:19:03 | More by Beaver13
MarkyMOD

Colorado

04-01-2013 04:10:27 | More by MarkyMOD
FeDUBBELFIST

4.59/5  rDev +19.2%

$9 for the 750mL, served in a tulip
Sampled 10MAR13

[A] Half a finger of bright white foamy head rises and falls in twenty seconds or so, leaving a bubbly collar and a few strands of lace. The body is golden yellow-orange in color and very still.

[S] The resemblance between Golden Monkey and White Monkey is actually quite small - if not entirely nonexistent. There are no banana/clove esters; there are practically no yeast notes at all. This works in my favor since I'm not a huge fan of Golden Monkey...or Tripels for that matter.

[T] First of all, the level of American oak is perfect. Soft and smooth with a mildly spicy character and notes of butter and vanillin. The oaky flavor/texture is silky smooth. (I would have guessed French oak to be honest.) A hint of Belgian yeast pokes through, but the overall yeast profile is downplayed and very clean.

[M] The mild tannic fuzzy feeling works well with the low level of bitterness and sweet finish. Light carbonation begins at midpalate and finely scrubs the tongue well after the swallow. Despite the sweet finish, the tongue remains free of the cloying sensation.

[O] I'm not sure what the overall dissatisfaction is with this beer. I think it's great. Perhaps Victory is just an easy target when it comes to special releases. In any case, I happen to think that White Monkey and Oak Horizontal are fantastic - and Red Thunder is way better than average. Dark Intrigue didn't do much for me (but that is a hard arena to step in these days) and I don't think Storm King is the right base beer for bourbon barrel treatment anyway.

03-30-2013 15:21:24 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
beerman207

Kentucky

4.26/5  rDev +10.6%

Saw this at my local Kroger of all places. White monkey? Brother of Golden Monkey? Yes please.

A: color is an orange hue. pours with a nice 2 inch white fluffy head that leaves some lacing behind.

S: Nose is a bit of orange, some clove, and some white wine coming through. Later on I pick up some nice floral smell as well

T: This is where I think the beer excels - if you like the golden monkey, I think this is a good variant. The heat comes through a little stronger on the tongue with the wine and you can definitely pick up the wine. It has a citrus orange and a bit of bitter finish that sweetens as it leaves the palate

M: Carbonation is good and it leaves a nice warming feeling

O: A great offering overall. Very pleased with this one.

03-30-2013 00:50:31 | More by beerman207
jokemon

3.35/5  rDev -13%

I would like to start by saying that I really enjoy golden monkey. So I was very intrigued when I saw that they decided to take it and age it in white wine barrels for 3 months.

After tasting this beer however I will say that I am not a fan. Don't get me wrong, the beer is ok and I can appreciate it for what they were going for but I have one major problem:

It taste like a stick.

The wood presence is way too strong in this beer. With other oak aged beers I've had the other flavors are so strong that they cancel out the oak a little bit, but with this beer the wood taste is overpowering.

03-29-2013 01:37:17 | More by jokemon