White Monkey - Victory Brewing Company

White MonkeyWhite Monkey

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Belgian inspired Tripel ale, Golden Monkey aged for 3 months in oak white wine bbls.

(Beer added by: Jonada on 03-05-2013)

Pours a deep golden color with some sediment. The aroma had the wheat and Belgian yeast smells I get from the regular Golden Monkey, but there's also a bit of oak and slight booze. The aroma is not markedly different from the standard.

In the taste, more sweetness and pale malt, Belgian yeast, and vinous green grape notes. Oaky tannins are in the finish. Light herbal note from the hops. Alcohol is well integrated.

Medium bodied ale with a medium carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty good barrel aged beer, but some wild yeast infusion could have taken this to the next level.

Stinkypuss, Aug 19, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

Way better than Golden Monkey. The extra age really makes the finish smooth.

BenBull3030, Aug 18, 2014

4.16/5  rDev +8.3%

BuddhaBrowett, Aug 13, 2014

zestar, Aug 13, 2014
3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Victory Brewing Company's White Monkey a couple weeks ago for $8.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer for a little while, I had Golden Monkey a few years ago and I thought it was just ok and I'm interested to see how it takes to being aged in white wine barrels, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml corked and caged bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, but the colors are pretty bland and I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a very hazy golden color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light and it had a finger and half of bubbly white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some small spotty lacing behind. The was a nice looking beer,. but I wish the head and retention were better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the Tripel base being the first to show up and imparts some typical Tripel aromas that are just a little on the light side and the Belgian yeast seems to show up just enough. Up next comes a slightly musty and funky aroma that lead right in the wine barrel which imparts some nice white wine aromas that are very similar to a standard bottle of white wine and it's followed by some nice woody and oak like aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, but I wish it was balanced just a little better since the white wine barrel aspects seem to dominate this beer.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma but much lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the Tripel base still being the first to show up, but it's even lighter than it was in the aroma and the Belgian yeast just comes through a little. Up next comes a slight alcohol flavor and it followed by a lighter amount of that musty and funky aspect that I got in the aroma and it leads right into the wine barrel which imparts the exact same aspects that it did in the aroma, but this time they are lighter, but it's still the wine barrel that sticks out the most. On the finish there's a slight amount of bitterness with an even slighter amount of tartness and it had a very white wine barrel like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the Tripel base showed up more, it's a little hard to pin point this as a Tripel from the taste alone.

M- Fairly smooth, very crisp, slightly prickly, dry on the finish, medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty good mouthfeel and I thought it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer, but I didn't think it was too recognizable as a Tripel, but for a Wine Barrel aged beer it seems pretty standard and I thought it lacked some of the balance and complexity that I was hoping it would have. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, very crisp, slightly prickly, dry on the finish, not too filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I think half the bottle is the perfect amount for me, but I think I would be able to drink the whole bottle if I had nobody to split it with and I think it makes for a nice beer to enjoy on a warm summer evening. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, I thought it was pretty good and it was the aspect that worked the best with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, it seemed like the Tripel base got pretty overshadowed by the white wine barrels. I might buy this beer again, I wouldn't turn one down, but I'm not going to be rushing back to the store to by more, but I did think it was reasonably priced. I wouldn't recommend this beer to everyone especially if they aren't a big fan of White Wine flavors, but I think this might make a good gateway beer for wine drinkers, it's worth giving a try once to see what you think of it. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it, it had some nice flavors and a pretty good mouthfeel, but with the lack of balance and complexity made it a little rough around the edges. This isn't my favorite wine barrel aged beer, Tripel, or Victory Brewing Company beer, but it isn't a bad beer, it's just not really much of a stand out. Nice job guys, but I think with a little work this could be a pretty good beer.

StoutHunter, Aug 12, 2014

squack, Aug 11, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

pknyc, Aug 10, 2014

TheRavenger, Aug 10, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

BraveMountie, Aug 10, 2014
4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

750 ml bottle into chalice, bottled on 3/14/2014. Pours lightly hazy/cloudy deep gold color with a 1 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas lemon, orange zest, golden raisin, pear, apple, apricot, white wine, vanilla, oak, coriander, clove, pepper, candi sugar, herbal, and yeast/oak earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great complexity and balance of fruity/spicy yeast , wine barrel, moderate malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of lemon, orange zest, golden raisin, pear, apple, apricot, white wine, vanilla, oak, coriander, clove, pepper, candi sugar, herbal, and yeast/oak earthiness. Good amount of earthy spiciness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon, orange zest, golden raisin, pear, apple, apricot, white wine, oak, clove, pepper, herbal, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Awesome complexity of fruity/spicy yeast, wine barrel, and pale malt sweetness; with a great crisp malt/yeast/oak flavor balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately crisp, and slightly tannic mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is an awesome barrel aged tripel. All around great complexity and balance fruity/spicy yeast, wine barrel, and pale malt sweetness; and very smooth and crisp to sip on for the ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

superspak, Aug 07, 2014
3.74/5  rDev -2.6%

P- wegmans in Mechanicsburg, PA

A- a ginger ale type of look to it. it has a huge four finger frothy head that has some staying power for minutes. Net-like lacing on the pint. clear as well.

S- a white gape wine nose that is more like white vinegar after a few smells. nothing else really there.

F- wow this is good. Very winey and vinegary but the malts come through in the mouth. It is literally like mixing golden monkey with white wine. Different but doable.

M- carbonated and vinegary. At times it can be too much but good all the same.

O- This is another good brew from victory. At times the white wine flavor dominates and takes away but still a good brew.

Dodo2step, Aug 03, 2014

MicroBeerMan1980, Jul 28, 2014

ralerwen, Jul 25, 2014

zachpaschal, Jul 25, 2014
4.6/5  rDev +19.8%

Great Mother of Drunken Monkeys!
I rolled into ye olde swill shoppe tonight looking for the liter bottle of Golden Monkey and the beer boy showed me this here White Monkey. He said a bunch of words that I translated into "Golden Monkey but better". He was right. Split the bottle with my pops and we're both pleasantly pleased. If you lke the Golden Monkey check this out!

Gravitron, Jul 25, 2014