Scarlet Fire Rauchbier - Victory Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Rauchbier |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: goindownsouth on 04-19-2003)

2.23/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Reviewed on 6 November 2010, on tap at Tap at Mallet in Rochester, NY for the "Victory Total Tap Takeover."

I quickly looked his beer up on my phone and it appeared to be either new or on tap only. I sampled one ounce of this and was drinking liquid smoke. I could not drink a full one. My friend is bold and orders a tall goblet of Scarlet Fire and can't finish one on his own. so I help him out AND review it. Color is copper-orange, slighty cloudy, and the head and lacing are like that of wine, so none. Aroma: smoke. I can't smell anything but smoke, like jerky. The taste is only that of smoked malt. This beer is way overdone on smoked malt and needs to go back to formula. Sorry, Victory.

2.35/5  rDev -37.5%

Poured a rusty, dark amber with a white head that completely disappeared. No lacing.
Smelled of smoked summer sausage and gouda cheese. No hops detected.
Tasted like smoked summer sausage and gouda cheese. No real complexity.
Oily mouthfeel with good carbonation. The smokiness really lingers though.
I had a hard time finishing one of these, so I don't find this very drinkable.
I love BBQ (real BBQ, slow smoked pork), but had a real hard time with this beer. Too smoky, no complexity. If you like smoked beers, you will like this one. But, I'm not liking smoked beers, so I don't like this one.

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured into a tulip from a growler obtained yesterday and kept in the fridge. Pours a dark caramel red/amber with a finger-width head with substantial retention. Aroma is caramel, toffee, some bready malt and a suggestion of smokiness from the smoked malt. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with medium carbonation, not too heavy, in anticipation of watching some AFC/NFC championship football. The taste, however, is a different story. Taste is caramel, toffee, whole-grain bread, toast, light charcoal, and a light astringent smokiness. I expected a dark, roasty smokiness from this beer, but the smoke is merely a background note. No hop presence to speak of. Overall this beer is not one I would try again. I saw "smoked malt" on the Victory brewpub menu, and after trying Stone's smoked porter, I have to try any smoked beer. Next time I will be more discerning.

Serving type: on tap at Grey Lodge, Philadelphia, PA

Pours a clear golden amber color with thin white head. Aroma was kind of week, not as smokey as I would like. Flavor was also weak, watered down with only a faint hint of smoked malt. Very disappointing.

2.63/5  rDev -30.1%

pours medium copper golden orange, quarter finger head dissapates to thin bubbly layer along top. light on the lacing.

Immediately smelling heavy smoke almost mesquite. smell lightens up as beer sits for 5 minutes.

lightly carbonated, light body

I dont know what to say about the taste.. kinda astringent, kinda like charcoal or lighter fluid.

May be spot on for the style..I dont know.. I can only say for smoked beer its not great in my opinion.. I have used liquid smoke in cooking and thats what I taste.. It gets a little better as it sits.. but still tough to palate.

2.68/5  rDev -28.7%

This is a beer with a real smoky taste and smell. The color was orange-gold, with a light foamy head. I feel it would be better consumed along with food (which I didn't have at the time), in order to balance the strong flavors. Probably would be good with BBQ, smoked salmon, or strong cheese. I could barely finish one pint and did not enjoy it. I'll always remember what a Rauchbier is after this pour.

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

2.81/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On tap at victory brewing company. Nice golden hue body. Good lacing
Nose is way too medicinal. Taste is peaty, bitter, and medicinal. Finishes enjoyable with a good smokey aftertaste. I know this is a rauchbier but what the heck is with the medicine flavor.

2.85/5  rDev -24.2%

Drinking this from a tap at Good-Ta-Go in Chambersburg, Pa. Beer has a decent color. The taste is definitely a bit smoky and reminds me of hot dog / grill water but not in a bad way by any means. We dont have much experience with smoked beers but this is unusual but drinkable.

3.08/5  rDev -18.1%

.3 liter on tap at the Victory Brewpub. Reviewed from notes.

Arrives a nice copper color with one finger of foam. Aroma is smoky, but not overpowering. Certainly not indicative of what is about to come...

There is a very strong smoke flavor - borderline overwhelming. The smoke overpowers any sweetness, all I taste is an ashy flavor. Honestly, I don't really get the appeal of rauchbiers...

3.13/5  rDev -16.8%

Tried this on tap at Tria. Pours a hazy rust like color. Had a slight smell of burnt wood chip soaked in chick pea brine. The taste was that of a four day old italian hoagie covered in liquid smoke. Not for me at all. It was tought to get down but good for the style. I just don't like Rauchbier.

3.18/5  rDev -15.4%

Served in a becher.

This guy's been a Want since I learned it existed. Luckily for me ChurchKey's draft list is badass. The pour results in a clear copper/amber with about half a finger of white foam on top. Good start, right? Well, the honeymoon ends when I smell the thing. Whatever is there is very faint, unlike any rauch or smoked beer I've had before. There's a tinge of smokiness, as though the grill wasn't working properly. There's also an intimation of wheat. That's about it. The taste comes off similarly. There's a light smoked ham flavor, along with some wheat bread and a vague dull bitterness. Frankly, according to my tongue, this is one of the weakest smoky beers I've ever had. That said, it's not bad-tasting, just not what it claims to be. The body is pretty light, with moderate carbonation and a smooth and moist feel. Honestly, not a bad brew overall, but I expected better from Victory.

Scarlet Fire Rauchbier from Victory Brewing Company