2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

DirtWolf - Victory Brewing Company

DirtWolfDirtWolf

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Brewed using whole flower Chinook, Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops.

(Beer added by: aengleman on 09-27-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,870 | Reviews: 461 | Show All Ratings:
mabermud

Washington

3.05/5  rDev -28.7%

I heard about this beer numerous times and bought a single bottle to try out. I was disappointed.

A - This beer doesn't look very appetizing.
S - The smell was decent. Subdued pine smell.
T - The beer has a hint of soy sauce taste and an odd finish. A little sour at the end.
M - Not memorable
O - I would not buy or drink this beer again unless it's free.

04-19-2014 02:59:27 | More by mabermud
AgentMunky

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a DFH signature glass.

A: Hazy auburn gold. Loose, offwhite head. Murky.

S: Smooth and sweet. Fruity. The lack of any astringency or bitterness prepares me for an older and/or underhopped (hah) beer. Hint of earthiness.

T/M: Pleasantly mellowed, but obviously faded from its prime. Robust mouthfeel, hint of sparkle at the edges, but mostly a mishmash of half-spiced herbs, grapefruit, mango, pine, and pineapple.

O: Has potential, but didn't wow me. Could be old beer over here in California, could be that none of Victory's super-hoppy beers have been to my taste.

04-18-2014 06:09:04 | More by AgentMunky
ZionNation

Arizona

2.59/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

wow, I have been a fan of the Victory beers from way back in the day when I lived in DC. Moved to AZ ten years ago and could not get it until recently. when it came available a few months ago, I immediately picked up some of the Prima Pils and it lives up to my memory and remains a great pilsner. being a huge IPA and double and imperial IPA guy, I was really excited when I noticed DirtWolf at Total Wine. I got a growler and brought it home to paired with some rare seared sushi grade salmon and kale salad. dinner was great, but in short the DirtWolf was a drain pour, a waste of $6.99 IMO. it wasn't like the keg was bad, maybe it was, but rather this beer seemed to have the hop profile, but it seems like a one dimensional beer, no backbone to speak of, flat tasting yet with seeming plenty of carbonation. vinegar like. just kind of a cheap IPA. I would probably buy a 12oz bottle one time to try it again to see if I had a bad batch or if I just wasn't in the mood, but from the growler experience this stuff is not good. I dumped it.

Serving type: growler

04-18-2014 04:40:36 | More by ZionNation
Sensaray

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Looks is slightly hazed deep golden with white head. If I look real close there are some floaties
Vibrant array of citrusy fruity hops I can smell before I put my nose to the glass. Sense of OJ, peach, alcohol is there.
Hops hop out at me in the taste, then hops also. This is a glass of hops. Building bitter finish with a decent peak but not too high. Resiny, piney, juicy citrus
Mouthfeel is decent, nothing to note. Slight spice but not really.
This seems to just be a standard, good vibrant sorta dipa. Would probably enjoy on a nice day

04-18-2014 00:09:51 | More by Sensaray
Zach136

Georgia

4.39/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle best by September something-th 2014. Served in an IPA glass, reviewed 4/10/14.

A - Light amber, one finger head and solid lacing.

S - Moderate tropical fruit and pine.

T - Juicy citrus hop profile with a solid pine bitterness.

M - Milky, moderate body, great carbonation.

O - Flavorful and drinkable IPA. Low alcohol presence. Just had it back to back with Jai Alai, super similar just a bit more pine, alcohol, and body.

04-16-2014 01:31:37 | More by Zach136
The-Sud-Truth

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. The minimal head that is produced fades rather quickly leaving only a slight ring accompanied by substantial lacing. Resulting color is a medium gold that is wonderfully opaque. Aroma is mostly true to form: Flowery and bold. I did note hints of burnt toast which was not expected but neither was it deterring. Outstanding taste that leaves zero doubt that you are experiencing a hearty double IPA... Very bold. Mouth feel is obvious and lingers. This double IPA outshines its beloved predecessor - Hop Wallop - while not losing any of Wallop's appealing characteristics. The hop blend used is outstanding and is balanced to near perfection. Bonus points to Victory for its creative labeling.

04-15-2014 23:17:48 | More by The-Sud-Truth
FosterJM

4.04/5  rDev -5.6%

1778th Review on BA
Bottle to Victory Tulip
12oz

Thanks to Jake and Mike for this one

App- In the glass with some light behind it, this seems more like a liquid sunset. Orange and yellows and gold dance in the glass. More dense at the top with a lighter bulb behind it. A nice 2 finger soft white capped head.

Smell- To me this had a lot going on. The tropical fruits, the mix of musty and dry hops a little earthy as well. A strong aroma of the alcohol from the 8%.

Taste- I enjoyed it but I think too many hops were used. I think that its a bit too much in one beer. The 8% isnt smooth to me. Its a bit grainy and too much alcohol behind it. Taste isnt there with a bit of a unique rind like orange/tangering/grapefruit flavor.

Mouth- A solid medium bodied beer with a medium carbonation level. Slightly sweet residual sugars from the fruited hops.

Drink- It was good, above average but didnt knock my socks off. Would drink again though.

04-15-2014 18:36:21 | More by FosterJM
PorterLambic

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a faintly foggy, amber color with a nice, fluffy, white head. Retention isn't the greatest, dropping to a thick film within a minute or so. A nice amount of lace remains behind.
Smell is a well balanced mix of malt and hops with notes of lemon and floral.
Taste is hoppy first with a solid backing of malt, some lemon, alcohol, grass and floral notes.
Medium plus body with a nearly medium effervescence. Drying finish but not bone dry. Still, fairly smooth and definitely an extremely drinkable beer.

04-14-2014 23:53:54 | More by PorterLambic
teromous

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Slightly hazy gold-amber colored body with a lush fluffy white head. The head stays up well, fading to a thin layer only after about half the glass is consumed. Pretty good lacing on the glass. Lots of visible carbonation. It appears to be either unfiltered or bottle carbonated (or both?) because there is visible sediment in the bottle. I would not consider the clarity or presence of sediment to be a detractor in the score.

S: Right off the bat there is a good citrus aroma; tangerine comes through mostly, with a bit of grapefruit. It's a very good smelling beer. I would say it's a bit above average but not outstanding.

T: Good bitterness right off the bat. A bit of alcohol sweetness. I get a strong grapefruit bitterness without the citrus flavor. There isn't a whole lot of hop flavor, but I re-stress that it has a very strong bitterness. I would have liked to have more hop flavor to reinforce the beer. Some of the malt comes through but it's only noticeable during the first few sips, as it is quickly overshadowed by the hop bitterness that layers the tongue while drinking the beer.

M: The mouthfeel is dominantly bitter. The bitterness tends to stay in the mouth but isn't too harsh. It finishes nicely in the middle, not being too dry or too sweet. I think the carbonation is perfectly in-line with the beer.

O: Overall I liked the beer. I wouldn't say that it warrants an outstanding rating, but it was enjoyable. The overall drinking experience is pleasant enough that it would be something I could request in a bar or pick up on the way home without regretting, but it's not something I would go out of the way to seek. I do recommend it.

04-14-2014 16:40:32 | More by teromous
edwado

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was a game changer for me as I was never too fond of DIPA's.Hoppy luscious,delicious,there are no more words for this that can describe this beer and the taste.I have not had any other beer in 3 months other than chillwave(another great new DIPA) but far and away I drink this 3 times as much.

04-13-2014 19:33:55 | More by edwado
Uncledoobz

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I was very happy with their Hop Devil and thought I couldn't go wrong trying this one. I was right! Smooth, deep and delicious. Looking forward to its next appearance. This will be in my beer rotation for sure. I'm very pleased with Victory and would try any of their other beers. :)

04-13-2014 18:20:30 | More by Uncledoobz
StonedTrippin

Colorado

4.19/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

with all they hype around this one, i have been eagerly waiting for it to arrive fresh in denver, and finally it did. i have to say, while this is a damn good ipa, its not as distinct and unique as i want it to be, and realize maybe how spoiled we are out here with good hoppy beer, this is great, but not world class in a colorado context. hazy blonde, almost greenish tint to the gold, with an inch or so of lasting white head. it smells simcoe heavy, and the mosaic is probably the most subdued of the listed hop varietals. forceful bitterness in the nose doesnt make it to the flavor through, instead a softer, more floral vibe hangs around, delicate for a big ipa, and given how well the alcohol is hidden, one could easily get into some trouble with this one. layers of hop flavor from fresh pine to grapefruit peel, i like the diversity but the cohesiveness as well. not a ton of bitterness either. the feel rocks, soft but aggressive carbonation prickles the tongue, and opens my senses up to receive this hop complex more completely, its just right with the medium body. for my palate, more robust mosaic would make this, but i like the use of whole leaf hops, it makes a difference, and i love the way it feels. great beer from victory, but an eyelash below my lofty expectations for it, given the hype.

04-13-2014 15:42:23 | More by StonedTrippin
arizcards

Arizona

4.29/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a four pack from Total Wine two weeks ago for $9.39. Enjoy by 7-30-14.
Beer poured a cloudy golden orange with a nice white head that is leaving some lacing behind – 4.0
Nose is very pungent with tropical and catty notes – 4.5
Taste has a nice pale malt backbone, somewhat biscuit. Hop profile is grapefruit and pine with mango lingering in the background – 4.25
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, more carbonated than the typical double IPA yet smooth – 4.25.
Overall this is a pretty awesome beer, true to the style yet not too over the top. Glad to see Victory in Arizona – 4.25.

04-12-2014 20:15:54 | More by arizcards
brentk56

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden color with a hint of amber; the cap is impressive both in stickage and in lacing

Smell: Tropical fruit and citrus, with pineapple, peach/mango and pink grapefruit tones

Taste: Hop dominant from the get-go, with sugary, floral tones of pink grapefruit, pineapple, peach and mango ; the dank resinous bitter elements build through mid-palate and the finish is a combination of sweetness from the underlying malt and the bitterness and tropical fruit from the hops

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate, but crisp, carbonation

Overall: Such a step up for Victory from the Hop Wallop and Hop Devil series - I am quite a fan of this one and the Hop Ranch

04-10-2014 22:00:53 | More by brentk56
Brisket

Idaho

Had this on-tap at Bier:Thirty

A- Crystal clear golden color with very little head. What head was there left lacing.

S- All hop, piney resin with very slight grapefruit.

T- Follows the nose. Hop heavy with piney bitterness dominating. Some mild citrus and just enough malt to balance it nicely. Definitely a hop forward beer.

M- light bodied with slight astringency. Very drinkable.

O- This hit the spot. It was refreshing and easy to drink, but plenty of flavor.

04-10-2014 01:31:33 | More by Brisket
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A straw colored body is hazy and murky right out of the bottle. Head is an off white biscuity fluff that stands at an inch and a half. Tons of thick lace is left behind as the head fades very slowly.

Nose is aromatic with loads of citrus, marmalade, fresh cut grass and lemony slush.

With first sip brings a wealth of balance and hop spectacularity. Creamy and refreshing while having a ton of bursting citrus. Crisp hybrid like flavors of orange and grapefruit play all over the palate.

As with all the great DIPA's the bitter builds to an attractive hue on the back of the tongue forming a very pleasant mouthfeel. Lovely drinkable for such a big beer.

04-10-2014 01:08:59 | More by SPLITGRIN
Nugganooch

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle to my FW snifter glass

A: Dirt Wolf has a lightly tarnished golden amber color. Mostly clear body with a touch of hop haze. Topped with a thin layer of choppy off-white suds. Not the best showing of head retention but it will do. Some minor etchings of stick and lace noted clinging to the glass after every sip.

S: Big pine and spice on the nose. Touch of spiced grapefruit, pineapple flesh, and dank weed. Very green with a resinous pungency. Not much malt character coming through in the aromas at all. Some clean mineral water. Very bright and hoppy. Really nice.

T: Hop damn! This one has a super resinous and puckering bitterness to it. It’s piney like Pliny with some dank herbal weeds, juicy peach-mango notes, and more spicy grapefruit. Faint touch of toasted caramel malts on the backend but otherwise it’s not all that apparent. The alcohol is quite well balanced with only a mere whisper at the finish. Very impressive and me likey. Resinous and danky but with a fairly clean retreat prepping you for that next gulp.

M. Medium amount of fullness to it and even a notch towards being on the lighter side of things. Even level of spritzy carb. Sticky and resinous with a nice drying pucker and crisp finish. Clean overall with some mild hop residue and sticky sugars lingering about.

D: A very well constructed classicly west coast style DIPA. Reminds me quite a bit like Pliny only just a smidge sharper on the palate. Goes down just as easily however. I was never to big on Hop Wallop but I am definitely on board with the Wolf.
Will be my snoogens for sure.

04-07-2014 23:41:53 | More by Nugganooch
jwchestnut

4.66/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoyed this one. I had heard a lot of buzz about it and was expecting to be disappointed, but it was really wonderful. Poured a beautiful golden yellow with very tight bubbles and a nice pillowy head. Nose is all hops - strong dried pineapple, citrus fruits, some peach and apricot. There is pine there as well but the fruit aroma was strongest. Taste follows the nose closely - lots of fresh pineapple juice with some peach in there. No hint of the 8.7% in there at all, though it is very, very sweet - strong honey-ish malt profile, some yellow box cake sweetness. Some mango in there as well. The mouthfeel started creamy but ended dry and made me want more. Overall this was great and really delightful. Will certainly have again.

04-06-2014 21:53:25 | More by jwchestnut
humuloner22

4.14/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I have been into IPA's and DIPA's lately, maybe its the season. Maybe its because Hopslam this year was so damn good. I have had a few Victory beers years ago, but I thought I would revisit this one and I got this one at a good deal at a local place that was running a storewide sale, So I figured what the hell? This one has a nice hazy golden color too it, not too many floaties in it, which has been common this year, it was smooth but left a bitter bite on the back of the palate which lingered for a while. It is nearly 9% abv which might get too you because overall its pretty smooth for a DIPA, It does have an earthy dirty dankness to it, which I liked. I am planning on doing a review of Stone Enjoy by as a comparison, because I have heard it described as dank as well. This is a good beer and I actually have two four packs to go through so I am happy of my purchase and may give Victory a chance again. I truly did enjoy this one and look forward to working through the two wolfpacks I purchased, I just wish they had it in six packs, but sometimes that is the way of the world.

04-06-2014 19:45:33 | More by humuloner22
Dodo2step

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

P- Wegmans in Mechanicsburg,PA

A- golden yellow color with a half finger head and average lacing on my Das Boot glass. Yes my Das Boot glass!

S- ooo I get mango mixed reasonably smooth with pine resin. I get hints of orange as well on the back end. my mouth is already watering for the flavor.

F- the resin dominates the mouth with the backend featuring the orange and hoppy mango finish. This is tasty and the flavors go so well together.

M- dry and hoppy like an ipa. Goes down like a light bodied beer but don't be followed by that. The resin and mango leave notes through the throat to the stomach.

O- This is a terrific Double IPA brew from Victory....worth a case in my eyes.

04-06-2014 18:05:49 | More by Dodo2step
itsscience

4.09/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy light gold color with a finger and a half of bright white head that settles down to nothing after a minute. Yeast floaties abound at the bottom of the glass. The grapefruit and pine smells are overwhelming in this one and hit you right as you pour the glass. There's also a ripe mango, some clean malts, and a floral quality to the nose. Grapefruit again shows up big in the taste, with lemon peel, grass, mouth-coating hop resins, and clean, sweet malts. It finishes dry and very bitter. There's a nice level of carbonation in this beer that tingles the back of the mouth and enhances the sting of the hop bomb.

04-06-2014 02:43:34 | More by itsscience
stonermouse

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Decided to splurge on a four pack that I suspected might be overpriced. Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Pours yellow, slightly cloudy, thin head. Nothing to see here...

A little urine smell here. As always, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's earthy with a touch of melon.

Nice, smooth taste. Earth and grass dominate, with a touch of melon to add some sweetness. Not the hop assault I expected from a name like "DirtWolf'" but a nice beer nonetheless. Lacks the depth and "umph" of some of the big boys, but it's solid.

Sticky mouthfeel, but unfortunately doesn't have the deep, thick mouthfeel of the best big IPAs. Great beer though, with some nice flavors waiting to be teased out.

04-06-2014 02:26:47 | More by stonermouse
LarryV

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

After reading reviews of this beer, I feel like I'm drinking a different beer. The aroma reminds me of underarm sweat, really off putting. The same quality comes across in the taste. Victory usually makes a pretty decent beer but I think they missed the mark on this one. I wouldn't buy this again. I bought a 4 pack and it's going to be a chore to polish it off. Really disappointing beer.

04-06-2014 01:41:59 | More by LarryV
ilikebeer03

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

12 ounce botte poured into a standard pint glass.

A: pours a nice golden/bright yellow/ burnt orange. pretty nice head, about 1.5 fingers. Lingers fairly well, and leaves a nice ring around the glass and some light retention in the middle throughout the duration of consumption.

S: smell is incredible. lots of hops. tropical fruits. I get mango, oranges, peaches, resinous pine.

T: similar to the nose. lots of hops and tropical fruits with mango, peaches and resinous pines dominating. some orange is in there. and I get some earthy pines notes, I believe from the simcoe.
Anyway, this awesome.

M: good mouthfeel. carbonated nicely and appropriately for the style

O: this is a delicious beer. I will definitely be getting more of this. Would recommend to anyone who loves hops.

04-05-2014 20:15:11 | More by ilikebeer03
rangerred

Tennessee

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into a snifter.

Pours a slightly hazy dark gold with a thick, frothy white head that has amazing staying power.

There is a wonderful aroma on this one with loads of juicy citrus along with a healthy shot of earthy dankness. I'm getting a lot of grapefruit with a touch of mint. Pine resin along with a bit of dank. Very nice.

The flavor is less earthy and more citrusy. Great tropical fruit notes and it is very juicy. The mint that I picked up in the aroma is present in the flavor and there is also a very pronounced malty note. Plenty of bread with just the slightest bit of biscuit. Bitterness is on the high side as it should be and any sweetness is held in check. Fairly clean finish with a touch of sweetness.

Overall, this is an amazingly delicious IIPA. Probably the best I have had. This beer is better that Hopslam and goes toe to toe with Sucks. Also the price and availability can't be beat. A world-class beer.

04-05-2014 02:23:22 | More by rangerred