DirtWolf - Victory Brewing Company

DirtWolfDirtWolf

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: aengleman on 09-27-2013

Brewed using whole flower Chinook, Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops.
Ratings: 5,915 | Reviews: 824

One of my top 3 beers this summer. Excellent price for this one. Craft brews can get expensive, but if you find this one, it's one of the best 12 oz. bottles for under $2.

Wow this is incredible

My favorite IIPA I can find locally

After reading the reviews this popped right into my wants. Then on a lowly day when beer shopping my phone died, unable to turn to BA for advice. With no particular wants in mind I picked this up, read the description on the side and knew I had to try it. This ended up as a want twice and for good reason. Smells and tastes primarily of citrus, mostly grabbing grapefruit and apple, surprisingly brings a brisk spice aspect once the pine comes forward. Aftertaste is dry and suitable to taste. Mouthfeel is crisp with biting carbonation. So easy and pleasurable to drink, my new personal go-to.

Very tasty, very hoppy but with a great malt balance. Reminds me a lot of Hop Stoopid, but Hop Stoopid still slightly eeks this one out. Unfortunately this is not one that is easy to get in my area, but if it was.....

Would seek out and purchase again. (Sadly not in my area/hard to get)

Easily one of my favorite DIPA's and extremely accessible. Can't go wrong.

Smell is absolutely beautiful. Full of citrus and some familiar flavor I can't place my finger on. Great 2xIPA, definitely worth trying!(again and again)

Wonderful Example of DIPA. The Perfect balance between the malt sweetnes and hop bitterness is fantastic. A lot of grapefruit, mango, papaya, and pineapple in the taste, with dry finish and citrus notes at the and. Thin texiture, medium body, soft carbonation.

This to me is the perfect Double IPA. It pours a great golden color with a creamy white head. The smell is of beautiful hops and much of them. The taste is hoppy, citrusy, piney, earthy, and smooth. The mouthfeel is sticky and leaves you wanting more. This is about as good as it gets for me. Victory nailed it with this one! I love this and would recommend it to anyone!

Fantastic!! Delicious hoppy hit with grapefruit and citrus notes and finishes so nice and clean. If you're looking at a line of taps and see this one, take it.

Smells good. Extremely hoppy and sweet initial taste. Slightly malty. Very drinkable. It's like a sweeter idiot ipa

For an 8.7%, this beer is crisp, refreshing, full of flavor, and dangerously easy to drink. This is the best beer out there. Even the bottled version is better than most Ales from the tap. Hands down my favorite. If you haven't tried Victory, get the Dirt, the Devil, and the Headwaters. No other brewery that I've tried has mastered all 3 like Victory.

4.99/5  rDev +16.3%

About a month ago I ordered this at my growler station but the keg went empty when my 64 oz was only 1/4 full. When I saw they had it back in stock I hurried to the store. This time I got a full 64 oz and loved every sip.
DirtWolf is one of the best DIPAs (if not IPAs in general) I've had mostly because it doesn't assault you with hops just to be hoppy. Yes, it's hoppy but the flavors blend beautifully. I shared this with a friend who doesn't even like IPA and he enjoyed it!
I love the smell of this beer. I picked up grapefruit, apricot and weed on the nose. Most of those flavors are detectable on the tongue too. The more you drink this the smoother it gets. The aftertaste isn't overly bitter like most DIPAs.
Overall this is one of the most balanced and flavorful DIPAs I've had. I will definitely be re-filling my growler with DirtWolf again!

4.98/5  rDev +16.1%

Since I can't get the Heady Topper regularly, this is my replacement. As a lover of big beers and preferably double, or triple ipas, the DirtWolf was destined to be right up my alley. However I didn't expect this beer to take over my palate and never let it go. I love this beer, fantastically floral and earthy it pops onto your tongue and placates it with a wealth of intense hops and dry malt back. A must buy and at a very reasonable price for the quality.

4.96/5  rDev +15.6%

12 oz. bottle purchased at Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont MA, "Enjoy By 07/04/2014", poured into my The Bruery "Rue the Day" snifter and drank while reviewing over an hour. Note I enjoyed it the week after it was bottled - this beer is one to have super fresh as it falls apart quickly (it's only real drawback) I think many of the poor reviews come from drinking it a month or more old....

A ) amber coloration, high clarity with some haze, initial frothy white head that settles into a subtle glass lacing; middle alcohol legs.

S ) classic PW hop aromas - pine, citrus, tropical fruit; with some malt breadiness in the back

T ) Orange, mango, papaya, pine; with other flavors continue to develop but are balanced out with some booze; finishes dry and refreshing with some toasty alcohol!

M ) Moderate body, lots of hop oils, alcohol fullness

O ) One of the most fantastic IIPA's I've had in a while. Well pronounced aromas and flavors leave you wanting more - though watch out for the alcohol @ 8.7% it will catch up to you quick if you don't blow out your taste buds on the hops first

4.95/5  rDev +15.4%

From a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: gold with orange tint in certain light. Light colored head with thick lace covering the glass.

S: grapefruit, hops and citrus rind.

T: an absolute hop bomb on this one. Not sure there is anything else to say. If you like your beer to taste like bitter hops and bitter hops only go for this one. Fortunately I happen to like that flavor profile.

M: easy drinking and very refreshing even with the bitterness.

O: one fabulous beer. Absolutely world class!

4.94/5  rDev +15.2%

This is hands down my favorite beer. Like others have mentioned one of the staples of this IPA is the noticeable lack of malt flavor and for me that can't be beat. I get turned off by IPAs that are 'excessively' malty and this beer completely avoids that dilemma.

It's gonna take awhile for this beer to be uprooted from my go-to choice, I've yet to find anything that matches it. If you live in the area, go to Victory's brew pub and get a burger with a DirtWolf on draft, you won't regret it.

4.94/5  rDev +15.2%

Definitely the best double IPA I have had. Great hoppiness, very possible my favorite beer

4.93/5  rDev +14.9%

The best double I've tasted. Truly, a model for the style. And it's a blessing that this is ALWAYS available! Lots of nearly-overripe apricot and lots of pine. Perfectly carbonated. Precisely balanced alcohol presence. I LOVE this beer. Can you tell?

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

Paired with burger. Deliciously hoppy.

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance: an enticing pale, slightly cloudy gold. Very evident carbonation, thin layer of white head that settles spots of foam in the glass.

Smell: very complex, a blend of hoppy citrus, pine, fruit and spice.

Taste: ay first there is light fruit and lighter sweetness, followed quickly by pine, resin and citrus, and bitterness and alchohal that blend beautifully to form a wonderful, unsure boldness. A perfect finish

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, full body, resin oil. Not dry

Overall: an extremely high quality beer that is quite drinkable bit extremely satisfying. Also a tremendous value.

4.91/5  rDev +14.5%

This is one of my favorite beers! Big bold and tastes delicious!

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Full of citrus with a faint earthy characteristic.
Amazing hop flavor and bitterness right up front combined in perfect harmony.
Flavor is predominately citrus.
The mouth feel is very crisp, with a dry finish.
One of the best DIPA I've tried so far.
If you like Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co. you gotta try this one.

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Very nice clear, golden colored beer with a very beautiful head and really good lacing along the entire glass. Smell was pleasant and wonderful with hints of what I would describe as almost leaves of a lemongrass plant. Taste is truly fantastic and I was unsure if I would like I would enjoy this DIPA since I've been let down before by highly raved about brews. Clean, crisp, medium-bodied mouthfeel and very easy to drink. Overall the aroma of the beer did not match the taste but for me this made for a wonderful beer. Great DIPA that I can't wait to get my hands on again!

4.89/5  rDev +14%

If you are looking for a surprise you will be disappointed. This beer is nothing out of the normal for Victory, amazing! I almost got ya there. I have been enjoying this beer for a few months no. A buddy from the east coast hooked me up with my first taste of the dirty wolf, and I have been handing out recommendations as often as I can. Great job Victory keep up the outstanding work!

DirtWolf from Victory Brewing Company