DirtWolf - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: aengleman on 09-27-2013

Brewed using whole flower Chinook, Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops.
Reviews: 763 | Hads: 6,193

One of my top 3 beers this summer. Excellent price for this one. Craft brews can get expensive, but if you find this one, it's one of the best 12 oz. bottles for under $2.

After reading the reviews this popped right into my wants. Then on a lowly day when beer shopping my phone died, unable to turn to BA for advice. With no particular wants in mind I picked this up, read the description on the side and knew I had to try it. This ended up as a want twice and for good reason. Smells and tastes primarily of citrus, mostly grabbing grapefruit and apple, surprisingly brings a brisk spice aspect once the pine comes forward. Aftertaste is dry and suitable to taste. Mouthfeel is crisp with biting carbonation. So easy and pleasurable to drink, my new personal go-to.

Very tasty, very hoppy but with a great malt balance. Reminds me a lot of Hop Stoopid, but Hop Stoopid still slightly eeks this one out. Unfortunately this is not one that is easy to get in my area, but if it was.....

Would seek out and purchase again. (Sadly not in my area/hard to get)

Wonderful Example of DIPA. The Perfect balance between the malt sweetnes and hop bitterness is fantastic. A lot of grapefruit, mango, papaya, and pineapple in the taste, with dry finish and citrus notes at the and. Thin texiture, medium body, soft carbonation.

This to me is the perfect Double IPA. It pours a great golden color with a creamy white head. The smell is of beautiful hops and much of them. The taste is hoppy, citrusy, piney, earthy, and smooth. The mouthfeel is sticky and leaves you wanting more. This is about as good as it gets for me. Victory nailed it with this one! I love this and would recommend it to anyone!

Victory DirtWolf Double IPA is a unique American Double/Imperial that is satisfying and which perhaps possess a sort of unique flavor among the A.D/Imp. field.

The frothyness of the brew is in between medium-thick on a light/medium/thick scale. The body of the beer is between light and medium on a similar scale. The color of the beer is a translucent but not transparent golden amber. The smell is suggestive of its unique hoppy taste, and light.

The taste is great in that it carries a lot of the tasty hoppyness right on the tip of the toungue per se, right in the beginning of the taste. The fore taste dissolves into a sort of pleasant, and still slightly hoppy after taste.
The taste is also somewhat unique in that the initial hoppy foretaste carrier with it perhaps some of the sort of wild or "wolf" esque hops the beer is perhaps named for. They taste light and more sort of "gamey" than usual hops perhaps, unless that is simply my imagination.

Either way this is a great and unique American Double/Imperial, the hop flavor is really unusual and good, and makes for an altogether light and refreshing hoppy beer in general. A great D.A./Imp, that is perhaps a must try for all those passing through the valley of A.D./Imp. IPAs.

Fantastic!! Delicious hoppy hit with grapefruit and citrus notes and finishes so nice and clean. If you're looking at a line of taps and see this one, take it.

For an 8.7%, this beer is crisp, refreshing, full of flavor, and dangerously easy to drink. This is the best beer out there. Even the bottled version is better than most Ales from the tap. Hands down my favorite. If you haven't tried Victory, get the Dirt, the Devil, and the Headwaters. No other brewery that I've tried has mastered all 3 like Victory.

4.99/5  rDev +16.6%

About a month ago I ordered this at my growler station but the keg went empty when my 64 oz was only 1/4 full. When I saw they had it back in stock I hurried to the store. This time I got a full 64 oz and loved every sip.
DirtWolf is one of the best DIPAs (if not IPAs in general) I've had mostly because it doesn't assault you with hops just to be hoppy. Yes, it's hoppy but the flavors blend beautifully. I shared this with a friend who doesn't even like IPA and he enjoyed it!
I love the smell of this beer. I picked up grapefruit, apricot and weed on the nose. Most of those flavors are detectable on the tongue too. The more you drink this the smoother it gets. The aftertaste isn't overly bitter like most DIPAs.
Overall this is one of the most balanced and flavorful DIPAs I've had. I will definitely be re-filling my growler with DirtWolf again!

4.98/5  rDev +16.4%

Since I can't get the Heady Topper regularly, this is my replacement. As a lover of big beers and preferably double, or triple ipas, the DirtWolf was destined to be right up my alley. However I didn't expect this beer to take over my palate and never let it go. I love this beer, fantastically floral and earthy it pops onto your tongue and placates it with a wealth of intense hops and dry malt back. A must buy and at a very reasonable price for the quality.

4.96/5  rDev +15.9%

12 oz. bottle purchased at Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont MA, "Enjoy By 07/04/2014", poured into my The Bruery "Rue the Day" snifter and drank while reviewing over an hour. Note I enjoyed it the week after it was bottled - this beer is one to have super fresh as it falls apart quickly (it's only real drawback) I think many of the poor reviews come from drinking it a month or more old....

A ) amber coloration, high clarity with some haze, initial frothy white head that settles into a subtle glass lacing; middle alcohol legs.

S ) classic PW hop aromas - pine, citrus, tropical fruit; with some malt breadiness in the back

T ) Orange, mango, papaya, pine; with other flavors continue to develop but are balanced out with some booze; finishes dry and refreshing with some toasty alcohol!

M ) Moderate body, lots of hop oils, alcohol fullness

O ) One of the most fantastic IIPA's I've had in a while. Well pronounced aromas and flavors leave you wanting more - though watch out for the alcohol @ 8.7% it will catch up to you quick if you don't blow out your taste buds on the hops first

4.96/5  rDev +15.9%

There is a distinctive unique taste and after-taste that is beyond the basic great DIPA that hints of secret ingredients chosen by an experienced brewmaster. I'd give this as a gift to impress friends.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

From a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: gold with orange tint in certain light. Light colored head with thick lace covering the glass.

S: grapefruit, hops and citrus rind.

T: an absolute hop bomb on this one. Not sure there is anything else to say. If you like your beer to taste like bitter hops and bitter hops only go for this one. Fortunately I happen to like that flavor profile.

M: easy drinking and very refreshing even with the bitterness.

O: one fabulous beer. Absolutely world class!

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

This is hands down my favorite beer. Like others have mentioned one of the staples of this IPA is the noticeable lack of malt flavor and for me that can't be beat. I get turned off by IPAs that are 'excessively' malty and this beer completely avoids that dilemma.

It's gonna take awhile for this beer to be uprooted from my go-to choice, I've yet to find anything that matches it. If you live in the area, go to Victory's brew pub and get a burger with a DirtWolf on draft, you won't regret it.

4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

The best double I've tasted. Truly, a model for the style. And it's a blessing that this is ALWAYS available! Lots of nearly-overripe apricot and lots of pine. Perfectly carbonated. Precisely balanced alcohol presence. I LOVE this beer. Can you tell?

4.92/5  rDev +15%

Appearance: an enticing pale, slightly cloudy gold. Very evident carbonation, thin layer of white head that settles spots of foam in the glass.

Smell: very complex, a blend of hoppy citrus, pine, fruit and spice.

Taste: ay first there is light fruit and lighter sweetness, followed quickly by pine, resin and citrus, and bitterness and alchohal that blend beautifully to form a wonderful, unsure boldness. A perfect finish

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, full body, resin oil. Not dry

Overall: an extremely high quality beer that is quite drinkable bit extremely satisfying. Also a tremendous value.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Full of citrus with a faint earthy characteristic.
Amazing hop flavor and bitterness right up front combined in perfect harmony.
Flavor is predominately citrus.
The mouth feel is very crisp, with a dry finish.
One of the best DIPA I've tried so far.
If you like Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co. you gotta try this one.

4.89/5  rDev +14.3%

If you are looking for a surprise you will be disappointed. This beer is nothing out of the normal for Victory, amazing! I almost got ya there. I have been enjoying this beer for a few months no. A buddy from the east coast hooked me up with my first taste of the dirty wolf, and I have been handing out recommendations as often as I can. Great job Victory keep up the outstanding work!

4.89/5  rDev +14.3%

My 1st taste of victory brewery was a winning one Double IPA superb carbonation not to fruity not to bitter.. I will be buying more of this in future something rarely think ..

4.88/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I bought a case of DirtWolf almost as soon as it hit the shelves. And it did not disappoint. I would only warn that the beer is so well crafted that the higher Imperial ABV is masked completely (unlike some other Imperial styles) . So, tread lightly! It's not called DirtWolf without reason!

4.88/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Because perfection is hard to come by, I have to go with a 4.75 overall.....but as I wait for the perfect beer, this is as close as it gets for me. Best tasting IPA out there and I've tasted many. Out of 7 billion ppl in the world and each having an opinion, mine is this is the best IPA out there!

4.87/5  rDev +13.8%

As someone who has tried both Pliny and Heady Topper, I'm convinced the only reason that they score higher than Dirtwolf is the fact that they're so hard to find. In my opinion, the "rare factor" is the only thing separating them from scoring 95 instead of 100. Dirtwolf is unquestionably on par with both.

Grapefruit-colored. Fruity/piney aroma. Smell matches taste. Heavy citrus. Hints of grapefruit/pineapple/orange. Slightly bitter finish. Resiny and sticky mouth feel. Very subtle malt character.

Anyone who says this beer is "too boozy" is smoking something. This is one of the least boozy DIPAs I've ever tasted. Surprisingly smooth and refreshing considering the high ABV. In fact, I would guess that most people in a blind taste test would fail to recognize Dirtwolf as a double. Perfectly balanced for my taste. (hops dominate any semblance of malt) (not a fan of malty IPAs)

OVERALL: This is one of the best IPAs I've ever tasted. Deserves all the hype and certainly worthy of "world class". Well done, Victory. Beer snobs who say this isn't on par with Pliny or Heady Topper are just too smug to admit otherwise.

4.86/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Very nice clear, golden colored beer with a very beautiful head and really good lacing along the entire glass. Smell was pleasant and wonderful with hints of what I would describe as almost leaves of a lemongrass plant. Taste is truly fantastic and I was unsure if I would like I would enjoy this DIPA since I've been let down before by highly raved about brews. Clean, crisp, medium-bodied mouthfeel and very easy to drink. Overall the aroma of the beer did not match the taste but for me this made for a wonderful beer. Great DIPA that I can't wait to get my hands on again!

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

It looks golden-orange in color, with a solid head that disappears fairly quickly, but not entirely.

It smells fruity and citrusy. You can smell the hops.

The first thing you taste is the hops. But after the initial hop kick, I was pleasantly pleased to find they balanced it out with just enough malts to keep the hops from being overkill. I taste a slight hint of rye in this one and some malts I cannot explicitly put my finger on. The taste of grapefruit is fairly strong in this one, and at no point is the alcohol (almost 9%) very strong in the flavor.

This goes down very smooth from the carbonated start of my glass to the flatter end.

Overall this is easily one of the best DIPAs out there and one of my favorite beers ever. This was my second from Victory (after Hop Ranch) and has since became a regular, because it is just that good.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: pours light gold with 1 inch thick white fluffy head.
S: Great citrus - Victory knows its hop combos.
T: Incredible - once again a nod to Victory and its hop knowledge.
F: Light carbonation, slight dry finish. Decent hop burn.
O: Another great on from Victory.

DirtWolf from Victory Brewing Company