Microbrew Invitational

DirtWolfDirtWolf

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Brewed using whole flower Chinook, Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops.

Added by aengleman on 09-27-2013

Reviews: 813 | Ratings: 6,412
4.86/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A- hazy, warm gold with a finger of whitish lace.
S- very nice. fruit and hops.
T- greatly balanced DIPA. Juicy, slightly dank hop with a nice fruit blend with the right amount of malt.
F- good carbonation with a nice light tingle.
O- top shelf DIPA. Very well balanced and drinkable. Probably best ipa from large craft brewers.

4.86/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Very nice clear, golden colored beer with a very beautiful head and really good lacing along the entire glass. Smell was pleasant and wonderful with hints of what I would describe as almost leaves of a lemongrass plant. Taste is truly fantastic and I was unsure if I would like I would enjoy this DIPA since I've been let down before by highly raved about brews. Clean, crisp, medium-bodied mouthfeel and very easy to drink. Overall the aroma of the beer did not match the taste but for me this made for a wonderful beer. Great DIPA that I can't wait to get my hands on again!

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

It looks golden-orange in color, with a solid head that disappears fairly quickly, but not entirely.

It smells fruity and citrusy. You can smell the hops.

The first thing you taste is the hops. But after the initial hop kick, I was pleasantly pleased to find they balanced it out with just enough malts to keep the hops from being overkill. I taste a slight hint of rye in this one and some malts I cannot explicitly put my finger on. The taste of grapefruit is fairly strong in this one, and at no point is the alcohol (almost 9%) very strong in the flavor.

This goes down very smooth from the carbonated start of my glass to the flatter end.

Overall this is easily one of the best DIPAs out there and one of my favorite beers ever. This was my second from Victory (after Hop Ranch) and has since became a regular, because it is just that good.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: pours light gold with 1 inch thick white fluffy head.
S: Great citrus - Victory knows its hop combos.
T: Incredible - once again a nod to Victory and its hop knowledge.
F: Light carbonation, slight dry finish. Decent hop burn.
O: Another great on from Victory.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Can i just start by saying, WOW! I haven't reviewed in a while but this one deserves a review. I had a Pliny the Elder yesterday, so my tongue knows a good IPA right now. And this one has a huge tropical nose. I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle. Tropical fruit and dankness. The mouth feel is extremely similar to Pliny, it has the smooth roundness and fizz just around the edge of your tongue that makes it refreshing and bountiful at the same time. There are waves of flavor starting with the tropical fruit, pineapple and mango, pouring into the green dank of pot and lemongrass, dropping right into a bitter cherry and round biscuit crispness. I know crisp and round? I don't get it either, but there it was. It lingers for a long while then cuts out abruptly. For my money and hopefully availability, this is one of the best DIPA's on the market. This stuff knocks Lunch off the shelf.

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very good DIPA. Dirtwolf pours a much lighter straw color than the copper/bronze I was expecting; a little cloudy, nice lacing. Smells great, with a piney, pleasantly dank note that is markedly different than the citrus-forward beers I've been drinking lately. Tastes great. Fresh and smooth for the ABV; taste follows the smell almost exactly. Despite its heft, Dirtwolf seems less abrasive than Victory's flagship Hop Devil IPA (though sometimes I want that spicy character in an IPA). Impressive.

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

Victory has taken their time crafting an excellent DIPA. For several years, the Ranch series experimented with different recipes for double IPAs, bit to be honest, they were all "too Victory." Those that know (and love) Victory beers know what I mean. There is a certain hop character that a few of their beers share. HopDevil (a long-time favorite) and Prima Pils are prime examples of what I referring to.

However with DirtWolf, Victory has broken our of that flavor profile and created a new and delicious DIPA. Though at the expense of Hop Wallop (for now), it's a superior beer on all accounts. The hops are very prevalent, but rounded off and blissfully tropical. The only issue I have found with this nectar is that its 8.7% abv is dangerously deceiving (maybe they picked the wrong motto).

With DirtWolf, Victory has finally catapulted themselves into the arena of spectacular DIPAs, up there with The Plinys, Hopslam, Brown Sugar, Heady Topper and the like. The throne may not be far away. Beware the howl!

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

A wise man once said: “In the land of countless Double IPAs (aka America) the best hop balanced beer is king.” [that wise man was me btw] It is armed with this foreknowledge that I approach one of the most highly rated DIPAs with trepidation, I mean it’s not every day you get to sup on the fine nectar of the hopped potion known to men and gods as ‘beer’ (let’s not forget woman too - or woman deities such as Ninkasi the Sumerian goddess of beer - cheers to equality Doc!). DirtWolf - the name even sounds like an 80’s TV series based on a stealth helicopter, YEAH.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Cloudy straw/pale amber body with a massive 2 inch white head that soon settles to a half centimetre lace - it might have been shaken but it was never stirred... damn those Bond puns sneaking in due to the upcoming Spectre film. Pale colour for an IPA, but decent nonetheless. 8/10.

S: Hops so fresh you’d think that they were picked yesterday. Bold grapefruit and herbal hops with a hint of tinned pineapple chunks - this is one chunky and delightful perfume you have Mr. DirtWolf. Background notes of a solid biscuit and orange candy malt base provide a foil ensuring the hops don’t completely steal the show. This is an A+ DIPA aroma. 10/10.

T: All of the above comes to life and dances an Irish jig on my tastebuds. In the immortal words of Ken Griffey Jr. "There's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited" - only this one delightful concoction that won’t give you an extreme case of gigantism. Overall a touch on the sweet side, however if you’re over the OTT bitter DIPAs (like I am lately) this is a fresh approach that will leave you wanting another bottle (or a case in my instance). Ooo, hint of cracked pepper in there as well, damn DirtWolf - you be FINE! 10/10.

M: Medium bodied with a medium carbonation, a spot fizzier than I’m used to with this style, burps were forthcoming. 8/10.

D: Doc’s new favourite DIPA (or IPA for that matter!) right here. The only big negative I could come up with is: finishing the bottle. Damn I have one more left and Plonk (whom I convinced to get this in) are completely out of it now. Oh well, savour this sweet syrup while you can, life is short and then you die and get reincarnated as an obscure cartoon character [FYI: I’m starting my own religion “Toonism”]. Anyway, not relevant! Superlative brew. 10/10.

Food match: This a heavy brew treat it with light fare: Vietnamese, Thai, Indo, etc.

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Definitely one of the better DIPAs I have had. It has a lot going on with its flavor including grapefruit, mango and peach all tied together with a fresh and earthy hop flavor. With bright and juicy flavors up front and finishing with a slight minerality, this beer is balanced wonderfully and feels wild and untamed. I love it!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Well here goes nothing, this better be good!

Pours a great clear orange, a little hop residue in there, nice lacing from the finger of white head

Smell is very citrus forward, lemon, grapefruit and orange, (kinda smells like Hop Wallop), tropical notes in there aswell, pine and yep no malt

Holy cow this is good, I love a good tropical/Citrus IPA/DIPA and this one fits the bill!! Orange, mango, pineapple, lemon, grapefruit, bitter citrus peal, wow, citrus, wow tropical, a little piney bitterness in the end

Mouthfeel is medium, a little high on the carbonation, pretty dry

WOW I can not wait until this is actually on the shelves all year long, Hop Wallop was great, this is equally great. Both are pretty equal in my mind.... But now that Hop Wallop is off the shelves this needs to start filling its place so I can have one of them!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

What a great brew this stuff has the taste the smell and the feel and everything else that you would want from a good double IPA and the price is amazing at 36.99 a case you can't beat it this beer is my favorite

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Hands down my favorite beer of the moment. Absolute great taste. Citrusy, hoppy goodness. I found out about this beer through a friend. It came up because I still have not had Heady Topper and was told that in a blind taste test, this could pass for it. Im still not sold on that until I actually taste Heady Topper, but either way this beer is delicious. In fact I bought out the stock at this little store where I found it. I know its fairly new from Victory so go out and get it!

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

As a fan of the Mosaic Hop this is a no brainer.. I can always detect citra and mosaic before all others and this dipa is competent it brings the decent hop punch I crave ,as an avid fan of Clown Shoes Space Cake, Dirtwolf delivers it has a slight sweetness with a robust mosaic and citra punch. I would recommend this beer to Double Inda Pale Ale fans it's refined enough to enjoy with dinner but pungent enough to keep your attention on a Saturday night. So if you crave mosaic you gotta try this. This is my first victory brew and I'm excited to try more.

4.81/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent offering. I don't understand the low scores from people who admit they are not in to hops - why on earth did you buy/try this. Victory continues to wow the hops crowd - now I hope they get Hop Wallop back on the shelf along with this wonderful brew!!

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

In my opinion DirtWolf has brought Victory to a new level of brewing. This addition has raised my expectations for future brews. Nice to see a brewer take a chance and deliver a great beer. Not much to find negative except for the aroma gives away the well rounded pouch the brew provides.

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have had this from the bottle, on tap and from a two day old growler. The ratings are consistent for all but this review is specific to the growler.

Poured into a Victory Tulip

Appearance: A vibrant amber color that leans closer to orange than yellow. Vibrant carbonation with a beautiful white head that dissipates quickly but leaves some nice lacing throughout.

Smell: There is a ton going on with the nose. Hints of melon and pine combined with a big citrus punch. There are traces of passion fruit as the glass warms a bit. In fact, the aroma gets better as it warms.

Taste: Wow. I never expected this from Victory. This has all of the characteristics f a beautifully crafted West Coast IPA- big citrus up front with a sharp bitterness in the end. This is staged with some woody and piney flavors that really make this unlike any IPA I’ve ever tasted. A beautiful marriage of various interpretations of the style. The only thing that keeps this from a 5 is the higher than expected bite from the high ABV.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is great for the style. It keeps the slightly chewy malt flavor broken up which makes it a very easy drinker.

I wwas really happy with Victory’s Ranch series but this takes it to another level. I think the addition of the Citra elevates it to a whole new level. I may be blinded by the novelty of a new DIPA but (at least for now) I can say this is one of the best examples of the style I’ve ever had.

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass.

A - 3.5 - Pours a clear gold color. Forms up a finger of bright white colored, dense head. Medium/low head potential, high head retention, spotty lacing.
S - 5 - Extremely wet, juicy and dank hops, bittered, more savory aromas of pineapple, mango and grapefruit rind.
T - 4.75 - Once again with the dank hops, lightly sweet pineapple and tangerine, ends on a nice, medium/strong bitter finish.
F - 4.75 - Nice medium/thick, creamy mouthfeel.
O - 5 - What an awesome example of the double IPA style. This DIPA is deceptively smooth and sessionable and doesn't fall victim to the loss of bitterness and malty syrupy sweetness that most double do. HIGHLY recommended to fans of the style!

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%

Look: Ordered this on draft, and there's a bit of a chill haze to the tulip-headed snifter. The color is an orange-tinged medium gold, the trending color for good IPA's, in my opinion! The creamy white head is petite, yet long lasting, and leaves with delicate, even rings of lace on the glass.

Smell: The upfront scent of grassy his relaxes into a scrumptious smelling combination of hot buttered toast, grapefruit, and caramel. Rich and addictive--with every sip, you look forward to the aroma as much as the taste!

Taste: A flavor profile that reminds us that the "double" in "DIPA" applies to more than just the IBU or the ABV. This is a complex beer, but not overwhelming. It still possesses that crisp, lively character we hop heads love, we hops are appropriately celebrated in this case: The dominate flavor is of various citrus rinds, and it balances well with the medium-high bitterness. Neither element possesses that common C-hop bite, but this is only because the diversity of additional flavors allows the hops to shine rather than obstruct. A swig of whiskey deepens the flavor, while Ritz crackers and toasted bread crusts keep things grounded in malt. Some pleasurable, English-style sweetness presents itself as roasted marshmallows, vanilla bean, and a quarter teaspoon of butterscotch, while apricot and peach bring further complement those hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, yet balanced by a crispness which is mostly derived from from medium carbonation. The body is medium tangy and as well, a continuation of the beer's theme of hearty balance.

Overall: A fantastic specimen for those of us who sometimes can't decide between an IPA and a Belgian beer--it's both refreshing and complicated, both tangy and sumptuous. For those who want a typical hop-centric DIPA without any distractions, this may not be your beer at the moment. But if you enjoy balance and complexity combined, you must give this a try.

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance: it comes off looking like a very hazy peach colored liquid. Not red, not clear, just very, very hazy...yet, to me, it makes the beer look even better. No head on this one, but considering how much hop everything is in it, I'm not surprised. Hop oils do tend to kill off head retention. 4\5

Aroma: wow...I mean,just wow. This one just leaps right out of the glass and punches you in the face with awesome. It smells of a bonanza of fruit: apricot, pineapple, pears, mixed in with a background of hop resins and a sweet malty goodness. 5\5

Taste: Not only does this beer smell amazing, it also has an abundance of flavoring hops as well, and it all works out perfectly. The beer starts off with a subtle sweetness that helps you work into its long, rolling bitterness that never feels too sharp or grading. Big American resinous, citrus, and floral hop flavorings that all take front seat in the flavor department, but keep the malty sweetness around to create a fantastic experience. Also a bit of peach flavor comes out of the stuff. 5\5

Mouth-feel: It has a bit too much carbonation that can add a bit too much of a bite to the beer, but it also allows for more aroma to leap forward, so I cant fault it too much in this department. I suppose I give it a 3.5\5.

Overall: Id say that overall, this beer has perfect aroma and flavor. The smell is just perfect. The taste is just perfect. It shows how a double IPA can have a huge amount of hops, and yet, not have the grading heavy hop character to drown out all the other flavors. This beer is not balanced, but its not overpowering. Its a brew that has all its characteristics working together to deliver the best possible outcome. 5\5.

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Victory DirtWolf.

I've over looked this one probably a hundred times at my local craft shop and had no idea about its critical acclaim until I happened to stumble upon it on here. Since it isn't a massively hyped $8 bottle, I can assume the ratings shall not let me down. At least I hope not.

Look - Pours a moderately deep golden with a two finger white head that sticks around throughout the entire glass. Carbonation appears high and is even giving me the illusion of a cyclone going on in my glass. Bottle is quite attractive as well which is a slight bonus for this category. Leaves spiral lacing all throughout my glass. This category would get a perfect score if the beer would have been a bit darker. 4.75.

Smell - Y'know how people mention the word ' dank ' with some beers? With this is about as dank of a nose as you could possibly get. Nicely balanced centenniel hit on the forefront and quite floral and leafy. Fruit juices that I can't quite put a finger on. Earthy with just a touch of dirt. 4.75.

Taste - Ever have a beer follow the nose to almost a perfect T? Well this is pretty much that. Centenniel hops stay light to medium with a burst of grapefruit juice and floral aspects followed by the earthiness and just a touch dirty, which makes things more interesting as it kind of compliments the other flavors in a way. 4.75.

Feel - Light and creamy bodied due to the retained head with less carbonation than I had expected after the show it put on in my glass. Swallos easy as can be for the percent. 5.

Overall - Dangerous stuff right here. Drinkability is second to none. Has all the flavors you want in a DIPA without being one sided. Surely not malt heavy. The earthy edge is a bit weird in this guy, but other than that, this is still one of my favorite beers of all time hands down. Could drink morning, day or night, spring, summer, fall or winter. 4.75.

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: beer presented a cloudy peach color. About 2 inches of dense white head built up while pouring. Cannot see carbonation in the glass.

Smell: smell plenty of pine and some citrus. The smell is really juicy and fruity.

Taste: the flavors just mingles around your mouth. The bitter citrus peel moves around from beginning to finish. The juicy fruits eventually just pops in your mouth. The flavor profile really complements the smell. Finally it has a very nice bitter earthy finish. Just awesome.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, carbonation just perfect.

Overall: not sure what the best IPA I've tasted but this is one of them. Outstanding.

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

A-golden with a nice frothy white head

S-strong scent of peppery grassy hops. There's definitely a touch of creamcicle in there as well. Good strength

T-comes in with a every bitter flavor of weedy hops and a nice sweetness. It's a bitterness that really sticks and stays. The flavors stick along with a great grainy flavor that stays as a nice after-taste.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a nice creamy finish

O-this is actually a really good IPA. It different too. The weeds and bitterness and grains. Everything is perfectly blended to make an extremely drinkable beer. I really recommend this to others.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance - ours 2 fingers of creamy off-white eggshell head, color of the body is a slightly hazed golden yellow, leaves very nice foam lacing after each sip.

Smell - Really nice nose here, citrus and tropical hops abound, especially red grapefruit, mango and papaya

Taste - Exactly like the nose, just a burst of citrus grapefruit and semi-sweet mango and papaya, some peach here too, a natural citrus and tropical sweetness are perfectly present, no "carmel" flavors here, this quickly transitions to citrus pith, a touch of pine, and then lightly bitter/drying peach pits finish things off, leaving wonderful pockets of citrus and tropical notes in the mouth corners - just fantastic. The alcohol is non-existent - perfectly hidden, slight alcohol warmth near the end of the bottle.

Mouthfeel - This is about a medium mouthfeel strictly from the fullness of flavor here, not heavy in the least, juicy and yet fresh and crisp. Carb is just about medium and smooth, but still provides plenty of bright effervescence across the tongue, and tingles the sides and back of the tongue with cleansing bright edges, great mouthfeel here.

Overall - This is darned near a perfect DIPA. These are the flavors I enjoy most in this style, bright citrus and tropical notes, a natural sweetness that is held perfectly in check by the hops, a wonderful transition to citrus pith and then finishing with the natural bitter dryness of stone fruit pits, leaving traces of the citrus and tropical flavors between sips. Victory has hit a home run here, right out of the park. A Must Try.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Smells amazing, big grapefruit and lemongrass notes, fruity hops, and pine. Really complex nose probably due to the 4 different hops used. Balanced out nicely with a sweet malty smell. I could just sit and smell this all day long.

Taste is huge on hops, but not throat burning. The grapefruit gives way to pine and malts. Aftertaste is great. A must-try for any hop lover.

Thoughts- I've had this many times over the past few years and it never ceases to amaze me. I have had some fluctuations in clarity and sometimes in taste, but still overall one of the finest beers I've ever had.

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer reminded me VERY much of stone enjoy by 9.13.13. Color was a little more golden pale than anticipated. A little more malt sweetness than that of the enjoy by. Definitely a pretty big citrus bomb with almost a peach/tropical hint to it. Perfect balance of sweet to bitter as nothing took over the other. Incredibly smooth mouthful and drinkability. Couldn't even detect the alcohol. Actually liked this beer better than the enjoy by and is easily in the top 5 dipas that I've ever had. Victory nailed this one. Probably won't reach status of heady or Pliny (probably due mainly to how available it will be so there isn't the rarity factor) but if you're looking for a citrus forward dipa, this would be tops on many list. Factor in price point ($2 a bottle locally) and you won't find a better dipa out there for the price (and probably worth twice...no, no actually it sucks cause I don't want the price to go up).

DirtWolf from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown