DirtWolf - Victory Brewing Company

DirtWolfDirtWolf

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: aengleman on 09-27-2013

Brewed using whole flower Chinook, Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops.
Ratings: 5,919 | Reviews: 825
1.31/5  rDev -69.5%

Not s fan of this bet

1.75/5  rDev -59.2%

smells like wolf pee, in the dirt

2.24/5  rDev -47.8%

drain pour consideration...bitter bad...nose/mouth impact very negative...thin and lacking character....

do not buy/drink

2.37/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Was really excited to try this one after being disappointed by the Hop Ranch. Unfortunately I didn't find this one much better. Tasted and smelled a little too much like an sweaty gym sock. I don't get the hype, but different people have different tastes, especially for IPA's. I must just be more of a West Coast IPA guy.

2.49/5  rDev -42%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

After reading reviews of this beer, I feel like I'm drinking a different beer. The aroma reminds me of underarm sweat, really off putting. The same quality comes across in the taste. Victory usually makes a pretty decent beer but I think they missed the mark on this one. I wouldn't buy this again. I bought a 4 pack and it's going to be a chore to polish it off. Really disappointing beer.

2.6/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

wow, I have been a fan of the Victory beers from way back in the day when I lived in DC. Moved to AZ ten years ago and could not get it until recently. when it came available a few months ago, I immediately picked up some of the Prima Pils and it lives up to my memory and remains a great pilsner. being a huge IPA and double and imperial IPA guy, I was really excited when I noticed DirtWolf at Total Wine. I got a growler and brought it home to pair with some rare seared sushi grade salmon and kale salad. dinner was great, but in short the DirtWolf was a drain pour, a waste of $6.99 IMO. it wasn't like the keg was bad, maybe it was, but rather this beer seemed to have the hop profile, but it seems like a one dimensional beer, no backbone to speak of, flat tasting yet with seeming plenty of carbonation. vinegar like. just kind of a cheap IPA. I would probably buy a 12oz bottle one time to try it again to see if I had a bad batch or if I just wasn't in the mood, but from the growler experience this stuff is not good. I dumped it.

2.84/5  rDev -33.8%

Way too much grapefruit notes. Overpowered everything else.

2.95/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle $2.79. Thank God I bought a single. Bright yellow orange, good head and lace. Aroma is really thick and earthy hops but then a strong plastic aroma. Flavor is astringent alcohol and plastic notes. Not really a pleasant beer at all, would not purchase.

Meh. On tap, golden color, very little had, almost no hop aroma, thin body, mild pale ale flavor.

3.06/5  rDev -28.7%

Ok. Not great, just ok.

3.09/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Really eager to try this anticipated Double IPA from Victory, love their stuff!

A - Nice, hazy golden yellow . Mellow, yet inviting

S - Ok, now I get it. I have seen and heard the term "cat pee" and always shook my head. I won't anymore. Wow, about as uninviting as it gets, and I get that this particular hop has that effect.

T - MUCH better than the smell. starts out grapefruit, more pith than peel, bitter, piney grass, and subtle tangerine in there somewhere. Sticky - bigtime. But that good bitter you want from a double.

M - smoother than what it sounds, definite layers and various taste profiles here. I kinda dig that. Not a boring offering, that is for sure!

O - I expected more. Unfortunately when there is a lot of hype for a product, there is an expectation that you cannot help but to have. There will be those who swear by this, and those that will not get it, not even for a minute. I fall somewhere in between, as I think it is worth a try, but does not rock my particular vote. Am going to grab some Harvest ales next....

3.1/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I did a blind review of Lagunita's Sucks, Long Trail Limbo, Victory Dirt Wolf, and Green Flash Green Bullet. These notes and ratings were recorded before I knew which beer I was drinking.

A - Pours a very hazy, creamy orangish color, with three quarters of a finger of creamy head. Moderate carbonation slowly climbing to the surface.

S - Bitter and unpleasant.

T - Very light, watery hop flavor. Hint of onion?

M - Light body. Decent carbonation.

O - This bottle was just barely a month old, so I'm not sure if that had an impact, but this was a very mediocre DIPA. The aroma was definitely off. I'll try to re-review this at a later date with a super fresh bottle.

3.2/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Bruery tulip glass.

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden body with a 2 finger white head that reduces quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S- Hmm.. not the most inviting aromas in the world.. grass, onions, some pine, floral, biscuits.

T- Matches the nose.. pretty oniony, floral, spicy on the aftertaste.. some resinous bite on the finish.

M- I'll give it this.. you can't really tell it's 8+% alcohol, pretty smooth for that ABV. Somewhat overcarbonated though.

I didn't enjoy one aspect of this beer. Even if it was a little past it's prime for an IPA, it was downright terrible. I never get that "onion" note that people talk about, but I got it full force on both the nose and the tongue in this beer. No thanks.

3.2/5  rDev -25.4%

The smell, taste, and appearance are very good for this beer. This is one of the better Victory beers. What I do not like is that the taste is present for a second or two, then it is all alcohol burn. I believe if they can mask the alcohol better, it could truly become a quality brew.

3.21/5  rDev -25.2%

$ 8.99/4-pack at Giant Eagle
Bottle best by Jul 05 2014 at 45 degrees into imperial pint glass
Aroma markedly citrus and flowery – no pine
Head large (5 cm), frothy, white, mostly diminishing into a 2 mm thick head
Lacing good, multiple lacey rings the depth of the pour
Body light yellow with slight hop haze
Flavor begins bitter and flowery, no citrus, no pine, no alcohol, no diacetyl, no balancing malt, just bitter with an astringent aftertaste
Palate light to medium, slightly oily, soft carbonation.

Unimpressive, just another DIPA, like drinking a bitter perfume. Glad I only bought a four-pack.

3.23/5  rDev -24.7%

On tap at D&T in Houston.

A: Pours a clear golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention and lace.
S: Bitter and resinous pine sap up front. A fairly soapy aroma as well. Lingering bitterness in the nose.
T: Bitter, resiny pine sap. Soapy and oily with a lingering bitterness that just does not go away. I can't really get much else.
M/D: A full body with moderate carbonation. Though this has a big oily and soapy consistency. Big alcohol, and not much else to counter the large and lingering bitterness. Not something I really care to finish.

Pretty much everything I don't like in a DIPA, and pretty much the opposite of Hop Ranch. Not something I particularly enjoy. Maybe self proclaimed hop heads mileage varies.

3.25/5  rDev -24.2%

Great hops, Great Malt backbone. Pretty boozy on the after taste though.

12oz bottle from 6 pack.

3.25/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

(Draft) at The Refinery in Newhall, CA. (2/21/15)

3.26/5  rDev -24%

I really want to like this beer. To me it's an average double IPA. There is not a lot that stands out. Of course it is a matter of preference. My ideal DIPA will have a very pungent hop aroma and this has very little. Taste has a little piney resin on the front with some sticky earth tones on the back. Not bad, just not for me. Poured from a 12 oz bottle 30 days prior to 'enjoy by' date.

3.28/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy look to it. Not much flavor that stuck out to me.

3.33/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thick orange sap body with floating mass of white wash over top. Thick lacing develops on the sides of the glass. Aroma of grapefruit, citrus with rind, palm leaves, and sharp fruit soap. Flavors mirror the aroma but with a more pronounced grassiness, a bright lip-puckering fruit effect, and boozy undertones. Thick in body with medium carbonation. A standout beer for Victory. Not as menacing or dirty as its name suggests but rather a hoppy fruit bomb that will be familiar to any double IPA drinker.

3.34/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Light yellow is not my favorite color for beer. It had little to no head or Belgian lace.

The good strong spicy hop smell and taste is my favorite part and for its poor appearance it had some body to back it up. I'd however expect more from a double IPA.

Mouthfeel is also more then I expected.

For the high bitter hop crowd I would recommend this offering.

3.35/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at Dogwood Growlers in Kennesaw, GA. Great place.

Appearance 4.0: Really nice amber-golden color to this beer. Nice 1/2" head quickly faded into very attractive foamy residue that lasted the entire session. Good lacing.

Smell 2.75: Note to brewers: adopt a male cat. Litter box train it. Now, when blending hops for your IPAs (Imperial or otherwise) make sure that -when combined-- they do not produce a smell like the cat's urine. If only the brewers at Liberty followed this simple procedure. Bleargh. However, there are some good points to this beer's bouquet, it's just that the cat urine thing...yeah, hard to move beyond it.

Taste 3.5: Front is...nuts, I still detect some of that cat pee at this taste level. Nonetheless, the middle is a revelation with a big kick of lovely pine, grapefruit rind, a subtle floral taste; all balanced with a very pleasant maltiness. Finish is big in the front of the palate with malt, sweetness and hop bitterness, then fades quickly into the Aftertaste level which is long and hoppy and very satisfying. Almost makes me forget about the cat pee.

Mouthfeel 3.5: Typical C02 carbonation (it's a growler, duh!) that was right on the money for the style.

Overall 3.5: Good beer and good example of the style. Not a hint of the massive ABV this bad boy packs, so be careful. However, let this beer stand as an example to other brewers: match the blended hop scent with care before you go into final production.

3.36/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Smooth beer for the amount of alcohol, but a bit too sweet for my taste; also a bit too carbonated. It was very good, but there are a lot better double IPAs out there.

3.39/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Overall its a good IPA but nothing special. The bitterness was there but flavor was lacking. The flavor of most great IPAs is a mix of hops, citrus, and many other notes. But DirtWolf was more of just the bitter hop side and had a bread/cracker after taste.

Not a bad IPA, worth a try. I feel that theres many others that are much better

DirtWolf from Victory Brewing Company