Join our email list →

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.70% ABV

Beer added by: aengleman on 09-27-2013

Brewed using whole flower Chinook, Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops.
Reviews: 790 | Hads: 6,304
4.16/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Was recommended this beer from a local craft brew store.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter class.

Pours a hazy golden color. The head is very thin, white dissipating quickly.

The smell is absolutely fantastic. From the start you get notes of citrus and on the back-end, fruit dank hops.

The taste begins with a moderate bitterness, very enjoyable for me as I have grown to love IPA's. The taste then moves into a somewhat complex flavor of citrus, pineapple, hops, and hints of tropical fruits. The 8.7% abv is almost completely masked.

Overall - A great IPA, listed as a double IPA. I would like it to be a little stronger for a double IPA. I prefer FIrestone's double jack but this one is definitely worth a go, great beer!

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a Goose Island tulip. The beer is a hazy, dingy gold color with a rocky white head that lasts a while and leaves some rather large lacings behind. Very assertive nose on this beer (I could smell it the moment I removed the bottle cap). Oranges, lemons, and grapefruit dominate, with pineapple lurking in the background.

Medium body and very hoppy flavor without being unpleasantly bitter. Very little sweetness up front, just a grainy malty note. Lots of dank, fruity hops provide most of the flavor, but there's plenty of malt to balance it out. The citra and mosaic hops definitely announce themselves in the form of lemon, grapefruit, orange, hemp, and just a hint of pineapple-like sweetness.

Do we really need another beer showcasing the citra and/or mosaic hop? Of course we do, as long as it's a good one! Thankfully, this one is. It has a terrific citrus fruit hop character and just a little sweetness to go with it. Definitely recommended.

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into my HF Oversized wine glass.

Appeared a golden yellow color with a slight orange tinge. A 2 finger fluffy white head gave way to some nice lacing.

Smells of orange and grapefruit with a slight floral scent. Can detect a bit of honey on the nose.

Taste is fantastic. Juicy citrus fruits mixed with just the right bitterness. Very refreshing.

Mouthfeel is great as well, some decent body and perfect carb.

Overall this is a fantastic DIPA that I am planning on including in my regular rotation.

3.59/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Draft at the Blue Monkey Tavern in Merchantville, NJ.

Pours a slightly cloudy, burnt orange color with golden yellow hues and a one finger, frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring.  Nice retention with streaks of soapy lace left behind.

Dank, floral hop aroma with resinous oils, pine needle and grass along with a touch of citrus fruit, biscuit, crackery malt and booze.  After it warms, the citrus/tropical notes stand out a bit more with grapefruit and orange peel but the nose is still dominated by earthy hops and a strong fusel alcohol/ethanol presence.

Medium body and slightly oily with a blast of dry, hoppy bitterness that lingers over the pale malt, sweet fruit and boozy heat into a dry finish.  Again, the flavor is dominated by bitter, earthier hops with hints of grass, dank buds, resinous oils, pine sap and spruce tip.  Subtle tropical/citrus sweetness but this opens as it warms.  Lots of grapefruit with some pineapple and blood orange.  Very boozy with strong heat and alcohol sweetness in the finish taking away from the hop flavors.  Pale malt backbone with biscuit and cracker flavor that doesn't interfere with the hop bitterness.  Decent but too boozy for my preference and the strong alcohol flavor takes away from the interesting hop character. Feels more like 10+% beer and most of the interesting flavor falls off mid-palate.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a snifter.
Pours a nice hazy medium amber. I finger of bubbly white head.
Aromas are nice, very hoppy, citrus and floral. Decent bready background.
Taste right in line with aromas. Very hoppy, good bitterness, very tasty.
Mouthfeel is good, finished a touch bitter but it subsides.
Overall, this is right in line with Sculpin and Gandhi-Bot, maybe even Pliny TE.
A really good DIPA.

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance- Pours up a good amount of head which has okay retention. The head is a pure cotton white while the body is a pale amber which appears as a golden straw to pale amber when held up to the light. Considerable lacing has been left behind. A little bit of sheeting.

Nose- Definitely shows the Chinook and Citra. Don't really get any Mosaic or Simcoe at the moment. Bright citrus flavors- orange, lemon, and some pineapple. Some hint of tropical fruits. Swirling reveals light mustiness and light grapefruit. A lot less presence and complexity than I expect from a top-notch IPA/IIPA.

Taste- Shows a lot more presence than the nose, that's for sure. Starts off with citrus that hits you with huge dose of bittering hops- the Simcoe is here. Lots of pine and resin and matchstick. Some spice, a bit of pepper on the finish. Front has orange, lemon, grapefruit, and pineapple. There's a whole lot of fruit and fortunately it exerts itself more on subsequent tastes. Touches of honey and floral notes. The bitter hops really mellow out and make this a fairly smooth beer. I don't agree with the world-class rating but understand why people are going crazy over this beer. Still, a really good beer that I will pick up in the future. Some caramel.

Mouthfeel- Between light and medium bodied with light carbonation. Approaches smooth and creamy with a tiny bit of a dry finish.

Drinkability- Very easygoing and will easily please both categories of IPA/IIPA drinkers. Has enough citrus and tropical fruits to please the juice bomb lovers and enough pine and resin on the back for the hophead lovers. I appreciate the fact that they put this in a 10 dollar 4-pack instead of an 8-9 dollar bomber. Because of that, I will be buying this again.

Overall- Really good beer and a solid DIPA. Not great in my opinion but I understand the majority the who seem to think. Definitely worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Pours a burnt, copper orange.

S- Heavy citrus notes. Grapefruit, tangerine, and a little hint of pine.

T- Mellow at first than a huge punch of hops. A touch of malt just as the flavor fades from your mouth.

Overall a really good beer. Does not taste like a double IPA. Goes down very smooth.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured into snifter.

Look:light apricot, 2 finger off white head, some lacing.
Aroma notes:mango, pineapple, orange, wild flower.
Tasting notes:pineapple, mango, pine, brown sugar, orange.
Feel:light side of medium.

This is a very tropical DIPA. Tropical and bitter. For the price this one is very hard to beat.

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a Victory Brewing snifter.

The beer pours a light, clear gold color, hues of orange and copper with a few noticeable flakes of hop leaf that settle to the bottom of the glass. A fluffy, soapy, white head rises up, about 2 fingers high that has very good retention and yields large swatches of sticky lace. The aroma is clean, balanced, pungent. Big aromas of grapefruit, pineapple, mango, sticky pine, crisp earth spice with just a subtle softness from the malt. The flavors showcase many of the same qualities, lots of crisp spice, tangy grapefruit, resinous pine, tropical pineapple and mango but a bit of vegetal qualities come across, not quite oniony, but just earthier than pine yet not as fleshy and crisp as onion. A soft and rounding malt bill eases the bitterness as it finishes. The body is nice, mild carbonation that is soft yet juicy, coats nicely, with a lightly prickly finish that is quite dry.

Verdict: A really delicious DIPA from Victory and easily the highlight of their lineup. The nose is really wonderful and while the flavors don't quite equal it's showing, this is still so nice to sip on. It's bitter and impactful, but soft around the edges and balanced quite well. I can't wait to finish my 4-Pack and get another soon.

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance- Pours a nice gold color with a 2 finger foamy white head that lingers for a while and leaves moderate lacing. Very nice clarity.

Smell- I get some bitter grapefruit, a bit of lemon and pine in the background. Also get a bit of a catty smell in there.

Taste- Nicely balanced. Some bitterness on the initial sip that turns sweet upon swallowing. Again some grapefruit and lemon zest, a bit of caramel sweetness.

Mouthfeel- Good body and carbonation for the style. Leaves a nice slick mouthfeel, not overly drying.

Overall- Pretty nice DIPA, would like a bit more hoppiness in the flavor but still good and very nicely balanced.

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had never heard of this beer until yesterday when I spotted it at my favorite local beer store. Love the style so I decided to give it a try.

Appearance is impressive as the beer is reasonably clear and is a bit darker than your average IPA. The smell is wonderfully hoppy but the taste of this beer is what puts it over the top. It has all the great hop taste you would expect from a first class DIPA. What stands out for me is that it has the body to match the hop. I feel too many IPAs / DIPAs are a bit thin - this one is not. The beer has excellent balance.

I put this beer in the same class as Sculpin, Sucks, and Hopslam. Try it. You will not be disappointed.

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My tongue has a never-ending thirst for Humulus Lupulus (hops). But not any hop will do! I want some citrus, some fruitiness, and some bitterness all rolled into one. This beer has the perfect balance my tongue has been searching for.
I first had this beer a couple of months ago and had never heard of it before. With no real expectations, it blew me away! Since then, I have left no stone unturned trying to find more. At $8.50 a 4 pack, this stuff goes quick. I was pleasantly surprised to walk into Total Wine and find a huge display of this tasty nectar awaiting me. While pinching myself to make sure I was not dreaming, I bought a case of this "wolf among sheep".

The appearance is good enough to make me thirsty, but nothing extraordinary.

The smell is a little deceiving, because to me, there isn't much of a smell. But the taste more than makes up for it. The taste is where this one shines. It has all the hop flavors that I like, but finishes nice and smooth... way smoother than a 9% beer should be!

This is one of my new favorite Double IPA's, and I shall enjoy getting dirty with the wolf and howling at the moon!

4.99/5  rDev +16.9%

About a month ago I ordered this at my growler station but the keg went empty when my 64 oz was only 1/4 full. When I saw they had it back in stock I hurried to the store. This time I got a full 64 oz and loved every sip.
DirtWolf is one of the best DIPAs (if not IPAs in general) I've had mostly because it doesn't assault you with hops just to be hoppy. Yes, it's hoppy but the flavors blend beautifully. I shared this with a friend who doesn't even like IPA and he enjoyed it!
I love the smell of this beer. I picked up grapefruit, apricot and weed on the nose. Most of those flavors are detectable on the tongue too. The more you drink this the smoother it gets. The aftertaste isn't overly bitter like most DIPAs.
Overall this is one of the most balanced and flavorful DIPAs I've had. I will definitely be re-filling my growler with DirtWolf again!

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Was lucky enough to find this local and couldn't wait to crack one open...

Served from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a hazy golden/amber with a 1 finger head that retained nicely, slowly fading to nice lacing, a ring and a light foam cap. Also some sticky foam on the sides of the glass. Doesn't appear too carbonated.

Smells of floral hops, grapefruit and pineapple, malts. As it warms, resin and pine come through.

Tastes of citrus (grapefruit), pineapple, the bitter hop presence (sticky & resinous), the maltiness at the end. None overpowered the other. Balanced more than I expected for a DIPA.

Medium mouthfeel. Other raters have mentioned "slippery" and I agree. You get the bitterness up front, fruit in the middle and sweetness at the end. Wouldn't consider the finish as dry as others I've tried and alcohol was well hidden.

Overall I think Victory had hit a home run. I honestly expected more of a hoppy beer like many of the others out there of the same style. This one sets itself apart and that's a good thing. Very drinkable, even at the higher ABV. I'd read a lot about this one and was glad to find it local and give it a try. Certainly one I'll have on hand when I can.

Cheers!

4.19/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I bought a 4-pack of this yesterday at Ayotte's ($10.49). Time to dive into a couple of bottles.

The color is a medium golden, and it has a bit of haziness present. Carbo is fairly plentiful and steady. The head is a healthy dollop of white, mousse-like foam, and lacing is top-shelf. The aroma is lovely, a nice mix of varied citrus fruits - grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine... Mmmm! It passes fairly smoothly going down, and the body is a bit more than medium.

As for the flavor, there is a touch of tangerine-esque sweetness, but it's mostly a hop show here. Pineapple, grapefruit, apricot, resiny pine, some pithy action; it's all there. The hops linger nicely, leaving the palate coated with luscious lupulins. This one is quite tasty, indeed.

Prosit!!

4.19/5 rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a bright pale yellow, very clear. Tiny tight bubbles of white head. Frothy and sticky looking head has superior lacing and never goes away.
Big hit of grapefruit. Bits of grass and alcohol, not much else

Taste starts watery and mild, followed by a honey malt flavor. Citrus rinds, grapefruit, peach and like juice. Mild bitterness that hits late and lingers. As you meander through the pint there is a second layer of flavor and bitterness that matches the first, but it is gentler and more subtle.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and clean. A bit heavy on the carbonation. Highly drinkable

A very good brew, but lighter than I thought it'd be. A beer ill return to often.

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to PHboiler for throwing this in as an extra.

A. Light copper/straw. Poured a nice 1 finger head that retreats to a frothy film. Excellent lacing.

S. Tons of pineapple, grapefruit, mango, and a bit of resin.

T. The resin certainly dominates but the citrus aspect is very noticable. Moderately bitter.

M. Moderately smooth, moderate bodied, full carbonation.

O. I love citrus-y ips or dipas and this is right up my alley. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into Bruery snifter

Appearance is clear and golden with nice lacing and a little white head.

Smell is simcoe hop pellets, dank, resin, tropical fruit, sweet malt, sweet hops

Taste is tropical fruit, sweet citrus, mild malt backbone, very light alcohol, bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium light, medium carbonation, sticky hops

Overall this is a phenomenal Double ipa. Eventually this will be a go to shelf beer but so far it seems to be pretty hard to obtain. The tropical characteristics are right up my alley in a double ipa

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Best by Feb 4 2014

hazy orange with very little head although decant pour to leave sediment in bottle

Smell is fruity, not very pungent but subtle

Taste is mostly tropical fruit hoppiness, some apricot and just a tinge of peppery spice. I'm liking the taste of this one. More the tropical fruit than the piney hoppiness, but does get just enough bitterness in there. Wouldn't call this one balanced bit the hop profile is spot on for my liking

Dry, crisp, clean, refreshing. This one will be nice down the shore on the front porch on an early evening in July.

Overall a damn good DIPA. Have seen comparisons to Pliny and HT which I haven't had the privilege of having yet, but this is up there in my ranks but behind enjoy by and double jack. Will definitely stock these in the fridge for its availability and price point

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by Mar 22 2014

A: Slightly hazy, bright golden-yellow with a tall, soapy, sticky bleach white head that leaves great lace and a ring of bubbly retention.

S: Well...ahhh...hops! Floral, fruity, resin, sticky, and dank.

T: As this is the fourth bottle of the 4-pack, I swear it's lost some of the hop intensity. But it's still super hoppy and actually a bit more balanced than I remember from the first bottle. So floral, so fruity, so pungent. And so damn delicious. The hype is real. And if this is a regular release, we should all feel lucky and thank Victory.

M: Insanely smooth, clean and crisp, and drinkable. Carbonation and body are spot-on. Refreshing and just way too easy to drink. I want this on draft.

O: I wouldn't wanna wait until February or March to enjoy this. Drink it sooner rather than later. But right now it's a phenomenal beer with massive hop character and endless flavor. And reasonably priced! Well done, Victory.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz. bottle, with enjoy by date July 05, 2014 printed in tiny print on the bottleneck. It's been a while since I've last had anything from Victory Brewing Co., but I've been wanting to try this beer for a while, so imagine my delight when I found these at the local beer store. Expectations are high based on this beer's excellent ratings.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours two fluffy soapy fingers of off-white head on top of a beautiful light yellow-orange colored body. Some nice sediment floating in the glass.

S - Smell is very nice, also. Lots of bright fresh citrus hop presence from the four hop varieties: grapefruit, pine, orange, some cat piss acidity, a bit of soapiness, lots of florals, and then nice honeyed biscuit malt presence to balance things out.

T - Taste is of delicious fresh citrus juiciness: bitter grapefruit, juicy oranges, mango, & lemons. Very nicely balanced with the honeyed biscuit malt, creaminess, and subtle alcohol warmth on the finish.

M - Feel is perfectly bitter, with the addition of some sticky citrus lingering. Very smooth, creamy, and light drinking, with perfect carbonation.

Overall, an excellent DIPA from Victory. Perfectly smooth, creamy, balanced, and highly drinkable at 8.70% abv. A likely contender for repeat drinking; very glad to be seeing four packs of this in my area now finally, especially at $9.99 a piece.

Victory DirtWolf ---4/5.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Golden yellow body with a chunky, rocky, creamy white head; loads of fine carbonation. Orange marmalade with a lesser dose of pine deeply infuse the aroma. The abundance of fine carbonation gives the body a nice hint of cloudiness while the lacing leaves a nearly solid yet translucent white wall of foam coating the glass; definitely one of the best looking IPAs I've ever seen. Very soft, very pleasing feel and taste of light, warm malt with an exemplary complement of eye-popping hop bitterness add a velvety edge to things.

One of the finest, well-balanced and intriguingly complex IPAs I can recall having. Glad I ran across this at Coaltrain Wine and Spirits in Colorado Springs. The only down side is I only bought one four-pack. I highly suspect my next visit will leave me empty handed with this beauty.

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%

Bottle served into a Bells tulip glass.

A: This beer is a light orange. It's lighter than I thought and you can see through it a little. Carbonation streams off the bottom. There is about 1 fingers of white, soapy head that lingers throughout. It's a beautiful looking beer.

S: Tropical fruit, orange, mango, and hops. Really floral and fresh.

T: Front of the tongue is some hop bitterness, middle of the tongue is some malt, and the back is sweet and juicy. Like orange juice going down.

M: This is a light body and crisp mouth feel.

Overall: This is an excellent representation of a DIPA. I believe Victory nailed it head on. I would buy this whenever I see it to be honest.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A slight cloudy golden orange color, with a nice one finger off white head at the top, leaves a pretty good amount of lacing around the glass.

S: A great smelling IPA, tropical fruit throughout, pineapple, mango and a good amount of grapefruit on the nose.

T: This IPA was amazing, the taste was subtle and pleasant, good amount of bitterness from the hopes and perfect sweetness from the fruits.

M: Medium mouthfeel, and a good amount of carbonation.

O: An amazing beer, was super surprised by this beer from Victory, well balanced and refreshing, one of the best DiPA'S I have ever had, hands down.

3.93/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a slightly hazed golden color with a one finger, smooth cream colored head. Ridiculous lacing down the glass with each sip.

S: Hints of mango, pine, menthol, musty and earthy hops and a touch of caramel malt. Not the hop bomb smell that I was expecting, but it's not bad at all. Wish it was a touch more assertive.

T: Opens with pine and floral hop notes with a drawl of pine sap across the palate. Mint, caramel malt notes, sticky floral hop resin and another smattering of pine on the finish. Mouthfeel is a touch heavy, but the crisp carbonation keeps it from getting too much so. Good, but I don't think this is top tier.

DirtWolf from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown