Microbrew Invitational

DirtWolfDirtWolf

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Brewed using whole flower Chinook, Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops.

Added by aengleman on 09-27-2013

Reviews: 813 | Ratings: 6,409

A solid DIPA, but I can't say I understand this being in the top 250. Perhaps the bottle I had wasn't fresh enough? Seemed to be on par with a lot of the double IPAs on the shelf, not entering into the rarefied air where Trillium, HF, Lawsons, and Alchemist play.

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Victory DirtWolf.

I've over looked this one probably a hundred times at my local craft shop and had no idea about its critical acclaim until I happened to stumble upon it on here. Since it isn't a massively hyped $8 bottle, I can assume the ratings shall not let me down. At least I hope not.

Look - Pours a moderately deep golden with a two finger white head that sticks around throughout the entire glass. Carbonation appears high and is even giving me the illusion of a cyclone going on in my glass. Bottle is quite attractive as well which is a slight bonus for this category. Leaves spiral lacing all throughout my glass. This category would get a perfect score if the beer would have been a bit darker. 4.75.

Smell - Y'know how people mention the word ' dank ' with some beers? With this is about as dank of a nose as you could possibly get. Nicely balanced centenniel hit on the forefront and quite floral and leafy. Fruit juices that I can't quite put a finger on. Earthy with just a touch of dirt. 4.75.

Taste - Ever have a beer follow the nose to almost a perfect T? Well this is pretty much that. Centenniel hops stay light to medium with a burst of grapefruit juice and floral aspects followed by the earthiness and just a touch dirty, which makes things more interesting as it kind of compliments the other flavors in a way. 4.75.

Feel - Light and creamy bodied due to the retained head with less carbonation than I had expected after the show it put on in my glass. Swallos easy as can be for the percent. 5.

Overall - Dangerous stuff right here. Drinkability is second to none. Has all the flavors you want in a DIPA without being one sided. Surely not malt heavy. The earthy edge is a bit weird in this guy, but other than that, this is still one of my favorite beers of all time hands down. Could drink morning, day or night, spring, summer, fall or winter. 4.75.

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: slightly hazy, golden color with apparent sediment; about a one inch foamy head with good retention; decent lacing

Smell: citrusy; hoppy; fresh cut grass

Taste: tangy grapefruit up front and lingering in the aftertaste; mild hop bitterness; somewhat leafy

Mouthfeel: slight alcohol bite; somewhat "dirty" or mouth coating; a little bit dry

Overall: I was little bit disappointed by this beer. It's typically hoppy and perfectly drinkable, don't get me wrong. I don't know why, but I was expecting more from this DIPA; nothing I can put my finger on. The sediment caught me off guard too, I wasn't expecting that. maybe that's where the "dirt" in DirtWolf comes from. Certainly not horrible, but it didn't knock my socks off either.

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

355ml bottle bought from The Corkscrew, Lucan

Poured a nice rich clear golden colour. Slightly off white head with hints of copper poured pretty loose and fizzy then faded almost instantly to light wispy coating with thickish edging... very light carbonation... some patchy lacing...

Aroma - Big blast of juicy tart fruits (melons, pears, lemons) followed by quite a surprising amount of sweet caramel malts, strong piney resin and citrus hopiness, faint tobacco, quite rubbery, honey, cut wet grass / hay...

Taste - Tons of piney and grassy bitterness up front, juicy tart fruits (grapefruit, lemons, pears, bitter oranges), nice caramel malts and notes of floral honey balance out the hops, quite herbal, metallic, earthy tobacco notes, faint salty notes, quite perfumed...

M&D - Fairly smooth with a little oiliness in the background then some sharpness comes through... full bodied... pretty damn drinkable for a nearly 9% beer as the alcohol is very well hidden

Overall - A supremely good DIPA - big, bold and full of flavour but very well balanced... recommended..

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%

Really great little IPA from Victory. Its a double but is very easy drinking. A little on the piney side for me as I am more a fan of Citrus IPAs but still good

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

What a great IPA! Bill and Ron hit it out of the park on this one! Competes with anything on the market! Great taste and 8.7 ABV = Great job! Thanks for making an IPA "for my taste"!!

Bottle. Pours clearish orange with a moderately lasting off white head. Aroma of citrus, pear, melon, grassy. Taste is of citrus, burnt brown sugar, mango, pineapple. Long bitter finish. Oily mouthfeel. Soft to medium carbonation.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip - Enjoy by date Oct.1 2015
Consumed 8/23/2015

Color - Golden in color. One finger white head, small tight bubbles. Good amount of carbonation.

Smell - Juicy, pineapple, sweet orange, tons of grapefruit, some pine dankness. Awesome smelling beer.

Taste - Initially, you get hit with a nice pop of dank bitterness. Mid palate is where the magic happens...tons of grapefruit, pineapple, orange, mango, good amount of pine/resin. No booze. Super drinkable.

Feel - Medium body. Dry finish. Leaves you wanting more.

Overall - In my area, this is the best readily available DIPA on the shelves. Victory really knocked it out of the park with this one. Will always hold a spot as one of my top 5 favorite beers.

4.11/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Nice golden color with a lot of carbonation. Extremely super hoppy smell which is typical of this excellent brewery. Victory does the best pale ales - period. Supper hoppy taste with non of that bitter after taste. Tons of floral taste as well.

Pours a golden straw color and I swear there was a green hue to it as it came out the bottle. Probably from all the hops, or my mind is playing tricks on me. Very clear/filtered beer. Head was lacking but it retained well. Smells of sweet malt and pine but not overly odorous. Citrus hits the tongue first followed my a touch of caramel sweetness and bitter pine. This is a more bitter DIPA than some others that I have had. Well balanced beer, but I don't think it is as good as most people say.

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

One of the early, widely available DIPAS and still at an incredible price point. 8.99/4 pack looks better than ever in today's ever rising consumer costs padding the wallets of craft brewers. Its not THE BEST, but it's a very good IPA with grape and Champaign notes (similar to Duvel Tripel Hop). Its easy drinking, lighter, and at 8.7% still competes with the mega-ABV IPAS (because if obnoxious cost isn't an indicator of great beer, surely an obnoxious ABV will sell). One of the best. If you're a self proclaimed beer geek that just follows the sheep, walk outside the herd and try Dirt Wolf. You'll find great beer doesn't have to cost 14-16 bucks to be really good.

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

has a copper hue with a nice head
sweet and hoppy notes like citrus I expected, piney
a nice balanced beer for me, edgy.robust
easily a dangerously drinkable beer!

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite go-to! Not my favorite overall, but I can drink this pretty much anytime. It is a perfect DIPA with so many different flavors going on as you sip it. I was not huge on Victory before this beer, and now they have my full attention!

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

An insane amount of pine in its aroma. A surprisingly refined flavor to it, with a unique "tang" to it that I haven't found in any other IPAs. Little bitterness to it, though it may just be that I'm at the end of a flight and I'm just not noticing it.

3.54/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12 Fl Oz bottle. Enjoy by 29/10/2015. Opaque, pale gold colour with a generous, slightly off-white head, which thinned out but left some nice lacing. Floral aroma of grapefruit, pine, earthiness, honey and malt. Low to medium sweetness and similar bitterness. Medium / full body, very noticeable alcohol (boozy but without the burn), smooth, almost oily texture and some gentle bitterness in the finish. Nicely balanced and not as bitter as I was expecting, I consider this one to be decent without being exceptional. 7.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours hazy golden orange small white head, smells of piney dank grapefruit, tastes of grapefruit and crisp malts, smooth mouthfeel great grapefruit finish with moderate carbonation.

4.71/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Straw colored, citrus forward double ipa with a very light biscuity malt base. Very drinkable and widely distributed beer. If you aren't lucky enough to get your hands on pliny or heady settle for dirtwolf and you won't be disappointed.

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

The best double I've tasted. Truly, a model for the style. And it's a blessing that this is ALWAYS available! Lots of nearly-overripe apricot and lots of pine. Perfectly carbonated. Precisely balanced alcohol presence. I LOVE this beer. Can you tell?

3.39/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Overall its a good IPA but nothing special. The bitterness was there but flavor was lacking. The flavor of most great IPAs is a mix of hops, citrus, and many other notes. But DirtWolf was more of just the bitter hop side and had a bread/cracker after taste.

Not a bad IPA, worth a try. I feel that theres many others that are much better

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Absolutely enjoy this beer, but not really picking up on the Double IPA. I think it's a world class IPA. Double...I am not so sure of. Would be a perfect IPA out of the can. Nice IPA nose; Beautiful straw color in appearance; Very noticable bready hops. Citra fruity, Simcoe punch.

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Nice golden color with just a little. Great citrus and pine aroma. The taste was similar with a medium pine bitterness. A little light on malt which lets the alcohol and bitterness reduce the smoothness a little. This is a very nice double IPA and the best beer from Victory that I have had.

4.09/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A bright gold beer, though with the faintest bit of haze. Good-looking eggshell head fades slowly in thick sheets of lace. Despite being six months past its best before date, the beer still packs a pungent, mostly piney aroma. I'm getting some background citrus that I'm sure would have been more prominent if fresher. An intensely earthy, resinous palate never overwhelms the caramel malt base. The bitter hop finish is punctuated with some alcohol bite. Still, DirtWolf goes down pretty easy for a beer of its size and is a worthy alternative to the more tropical-tasting West Coast IPAs.

For an 8.7%, this beer is crisp, refreshing, full of flavor, and dangerously easy to drink. This is the best beer out there. Even the bottled version is better than most Ales from the tap. Hands down my favorite. If you haven't tried Victory, get the Dirt, the Devil, and the Headwaters. No other brewery that I've tried has mastered all 3 like Victory.

3.72/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Out of a bottle with a drink by date of Oct 20. Not too much on the nose. Overall a balanced DIPA considering the ABV but not too much more. Flavors of grapefruit and pine. Good but not great.

4.94/5  rDev +15.7%

This is hands down my favorite beer. Like others have mentioned one of the staples of this IPA is the noticeable lack of malt flavor and for me that can't be beat. I get turned off by IPAs that are 'excessively' malty and this beer completely avoids that dilemma.

It's gonna take awhile for this beer to be uprooted from my go-to choice, I've yet to find anything that matches it. If you live in the area, go to Victory's brew pub and get a burger with a DirtWolf on draft, you won't regret it.

DirtWolf from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown