St Martin Tripel - Brasserie De Brunehaut

St Martin TripelSt Martin Tripel

good

Brasserie De Brunehaut visit their website

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: AndyAvalanche on 02-12-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St Martin Tripel Alström Bros
4.23/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Smell: ginger and lemongrass

Taste: extremely effervescent with huge hits of green apples and champagne with a cantaloupe aftertaste

Very simply flavors that a reminiscent of a Sunday brunch mixed drink however, I am a huge fan of odd beers and this one definitely has a place in my mind as being one of the curiosities.

I actually paired this with an everything omelette with sharp cheddar, breakfast potatoes, fresh fruit, and bacon--always bacon

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

hazy gold pour, lots of head from dropping upon popping the cap (doh!).
smell is a bit floral, yeast(?), spice...
taste is thge same, a little bitter, strange taste masks the alcohol.
overall, a decent brew but definitely much better from other belgiums. good to try the varieties, but always come back to the standards.

3.4/5  rDev -6.3%

St. Martin tripel

A - slightly cloudy marigold hue with over 3 fingers worth of snow white foam. It quickly dissipates to a thick ring around the glass leaving spotty lacing behind.

S - aroma is fairly intense. Lots of spice character. Notes of clove and pepper are most prominent followed by hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. Underneath are hints of ripe banana peel and cake batter.

T - sweet doughy malt profile up front. Peppery Spice notes slowly swell to the surface as the beer warms on the tounge. Hints of cinnamon as well. Quite of bit of fruit character in the form of bananas and hints of orange peel and possibly some lemon zest. Quick spicy finish.

M - high spritzy carbonation. Medium bodied with a slightly flabby and watery feel.

O - decent belgian style ale. Mouthfeel wasnt great but it had a nice nose and some decent depth of flavor.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

3.4/5  rDev -6.3%

Review from 10/2010 notes. Poured into a Nostradamus flute glass. Pours a medium orange amber with a thick head. Dissipates to heavy lacing. Bottle foamed over on opening. Floral, sweet fruit, malt with a bit of sour aroma. Taste follows aroma, but an odd, off-putting flavor on finish that I can't put my finger on. Gets a bit better with warming, although there is an acrid aftertaste. Light to medium bodied. I'd probably opt for other tripels.

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%

I had a 750mL bottle poured into a Chimay chalice.

A - This pours a cloudy straw yellow with very light white head at the top.

S - On the nose I light fruits, citrus, yeast, and a slight spice.

T - On the palate I some banana like flavors, reminding more of a hefeweizen than a tripel. Interesting, on the finish I get some spice and a little citrus, orange and lemon.

M - Medium-bodied and it seemed to be pretty highly carbonated.

O - An interesting beer, not overly complex for a Belgian Tripel. it had a good flavor, and I enjoyed it, but it is not the first tripel on the shelf I'm going to be going for in the future.

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

A - golden colour with a light bubble filled head. The head is short and fades quickly. After the head fades you are left with a mirky looking film on the top.

S - a slight spice and sweet nose, reminding me of banana bread for some reason - could just be the day...

T - again, I'm reminenising about banana bread... slight hint of cloves, spice with a small amount of sweet. A light tasting triple in comparison to other triples.

M - light in my mouth, a slight tingle at first with the spice notes hitting first and finishing sweeter.

O - a nice easy drinking tripel. Worth drinking again but not the best triple out there. It's lacking some of the complexities required of a great tripel.

3.18/5  rDev -12.4%

First had: Philly Beer Scene Tasting panel with Matt Falco at Victory Brewing Company, Downingtown, PA

I was privileged enough to be on the tasting panel for PBS Magazine, along with Bill Covaleski of Victory and Greg Ramirez of Exton Beverage. This was one of 21 beers we sampled during the session.

Cloudy golden-yellow pour with a small white head that retained and laced fairly well. Aroma of grains, yeast, fruit esters. Taste is bready with pear and a touch of berry, light notes of candi sugar and spice. Light-medium body, fairly dry and slightly acidic in the finish. Not too bad, but not great.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from 330mL bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: rich light-golden hue with a good haze and two fingers of creamy white foam. Quite nice.

Smell: rich malt aroma which is rather sweet and has a hint of graininess to it to break up the sweetness. There seems to be a mild noble hop character to the aroma as well. I rather like it.

Taste: rich malt at the beginning followed by a rather harsh alcohol burn. Malt fades into a graininess toward the end and bitterness is present, if to a low extent. Overall the flavor seems harsh and ham-fisted, and I don't love it.

Mouthfeel: big body with a huge creaminess. I just wish I liked the flavor as much as the excellent texture.

Overall: this beer has a lot going for it; unfortunately, it falls a bit short in the flavor department. If the flaws (hotness of alcohol, harshness of finish) could be mitigated, this would be one great tripel.

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I picked up a bottle of Brasserie De Brunehaut's St Martin Tripel a couple weeks ago for $9.49 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for a new Tripel to try on my quest for the best Tripel, this one caught my eye and the price was right, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 750ml corked and caged bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks nice, it got a nice classic and clean look to it. The cork came out with a loud popping noise with a little smoke. It poured a slightly golden yellow color that was pretty cloudy and it took on an orange/gold color when held to the light. It had four fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing. This was a really good looking Tripel, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off nice and citrusy with some orange and lemon rind aromas, next comes the malts which have a lower amount of sweetness and impart some grainy and bready aromas along with some slight caramel and toffee aromas. Towards the end I get a light amount of some spicy Belgian yeast with a slight alcohol aroma, there was also a noticeable skunky aroma. The aroma wasn't that great, I wish the yeast stuck out a little more and it wasn't a little skunky, it's not nearly as nice and fragrant as my favorite Tripel's.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, it starts off with a good amount of malts that are much sweeter then they were in the aroma and have a higher amount of medium sweetness and impart some grainy and bready flavors along with a lighter amount of toffee, caramel, and candied sugar flavors. After that I get slight tart and tangy lemon rind flavor followed by a lighter skunky flavor. On the finish I get a slight amount of alcohol and some earthy flavors with a lower amount of bitterness that was a little tart and it had a sweet malty aftertaste. The flavors was just ok at best, it needed some spicy yeast to balance out all the other flavors.

M- Somewhat smooth, crisp, dry, medium bodied, and it had a higher amount of prickly carbonation. It could have been a little smoother but other then that the mouthfeel was on par for the style.

Overall I wasn't too impressed with this beer and I thought it wasn't a great example of a Tripel, it started off ok but with some off flavors and hardly any yeast presence, it really holds this beer back. It was somewhat drinkable, it went down smooth enough, but the flavors were a little off and could not hold my attention, splitting this bottle is more then enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, it looked pretty damn good and had lots of fluffy white head. What I liked least about this beer was the lack luster aroma and flavor, it just wasn't firing on all cylinders. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it was priced good, but it didn't impress me and there are many other Tripel's that I would rather have, I wouldn't recommend this Tripel. I just wasn't a fan of this beer, there were too many things that were out of place with this beer, it needs some work. Looks like the quest for the best Tripel continues.... nothing to see here. I didn't like the other beer I had from this brewery so I might be staying away from them for a while, I guess not all Belgian Tripel's are great.

St Martin Tripel from Brasserie De Brunehaut