Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

True Blue Blueberry Ale - Bar Harbor Brewing Company

True Blue Blueberry AleTrue Blue Blueberry Ale

Bar Harbor Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: lordofthewiens on 05-14-2006

This beer is brewed with a blend of barley malts and crushed wheat to gently lighten the body. True Blue is a crisp blueberry ale with an assertive blueberry nose followed by a more subtle blueberry flavor in the body of the beer. We feel you won't find another beer quite like it.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

The BA description states not available in bottles, but here I am with one in front of me. I brought this back from my vacation in Maine this past September.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a weizen glass a red amber color with a 2-finger off-white head. It drops quickly and becomes an almost full surface covering.

SMELL: Huge blueberry aroma - so much so that I could smell it as soon as I cracked the cap. There's not too much of a malt aroma, instead giving way to a surprising hop smell, albeit a very subdued one. As it warms, a mild toasted character comes out.

TASTE: The flavor is not as high on the blueberry as the aroma. A nondescript base beer is safely constructed with just the most basic malts and hops as to try and let the blueberry speak for itself. It takes a little bit but the blueberry becomes much more conspicuous towards the finish. It tastes like it's extract at first, but the flavor becomes more authentic after the swallow. As in the aroma, the beer becomes slightly toasty as it warms.

MOUTHFEEL: Nothing wrong here. It's crisp with a lighter body and an average carbonation. Very appropriate.

DRINKABILITY: It is sweet and the blueberries are pretty strong. But it's a fairly refreshing beer and the low (3.5%) ABV certainly lends itself to having a lot of this.

A good interpretation of a fruit beer. But I've had better and probably wouldn't seek this out again.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

My wife likes these fruit beers, and she's always after me to try them, even though I'm not a big fan. This is actually an OK (but not great) beer. Dark amber color, not much head. Pleasant aroma of blueberries. More of a malt taste, but there is a little blueberry aftertaste. Not overly sweet or cloying. Would drink more than one at a sitting.

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

I was suprised when I ordered this to find the color a darker amber, not a pale yellow like most blueberry beers. A very small head that goes away quickly with little to no lacing. The smell is of malty blueberries, you will not be disappointed. Taste is kind of like an average ale, I'd compare it to Long Trail Ale, only with a blueberry aftertaste. I could normally only do one fruit beer in a sitting but I found myself having two of these, any more than that and the malty sweetness becomes too intense. One of the more balanced fruit beers I've tried.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last