1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cadillac Mountain Stout - Bar Harbor Brewing Company

Cadillac Mountain StoutCadillac Mountain Stout

Bar Harbor Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  6.70% ABV

A full-bodied stout with focused chocolate flavors and plenty of hops and malt, Cadillac Mtn. Stout was selected World Champion Dry Stout 1995 and the best hard-to-find beer in America by Men’s Journal.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-10-2002)
View: Beers (4) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cadillac Mountain Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 962 | Reviews: 653 | Show All Ratings:
datalager

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Last August my family and I took a Maritime cruise to Nova Scotia, which included a full day stop in Bar Harbor. While there my wife and I made the effort to visit the Bar Harbor Brewing Company, in a quaint semi-touristy location off the edge of the town green. Very nice people there. After sampling a few brews I walked away with a six pack of Cadillac Mountain, which was clearly the stand out among several other good brews. Needless to say I was able to sneak the purchase back on the ship and finally able to enjoy some proper beer while on board.

Just recently I was fortunate to procure two bottles of this excellent ale. Last night I cracked one open and needed only one whiff to remind me why I fell for this beer last summer. It really is just an outstanding representation of the style. Sweet enough with those chocolate and malt notes, but not cloying. There is plenty of bitter hop balance to remove that "too sweet" finish that seems to be the trend of stouts lately.

The pour is typical black, with a hint of brown at the edges, and a soft pale brown fluff on top. Smells are clean and decisive, which enables the cocoa to come through along side fresh yeast and hop notes. Flavors are wonderfully rich, a touch bitey up front, smooth and sweet through the swallow, and moderately dry in the finish.

Overall this really is an outstanding beer. My experience puts this near the top of perfectly balanced darks, and certainly one of the better stouts that I've had.

04-04-2014 11:43:12 | More by datalager
scotorum

3.76/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the 22 oz. bomber into a Samuel Adams nonick.

a: Black with clear ruby highlights when seen through light. Finger thick tan head receded to thin surface foam and patchy lacing.

s: Sweet dark malt.

t; Dark black coffeelike malt flavor with considerable hop bite. Bitterness lingers in the mouth. , although it mellows out later. Roasty aftertaste at first.

m: Light to moderate.

o: A good stout, but the lingering bitterness at first detracts from the experience, and it seems a bit light on mouthfeel for a superior stout. On the plus side, the relatively low ABV allows a full glass will not put you under, and it's pretty easy drinking, especially later. It's also possible the aging on this particular bottle (it was purchased in early July 2013) did not benefit the flavor.

04-01-2014 03:00:22 | More by scotorum
puboflyons

New Hampshire

From the 650 ml. bottle. Sampled on November 28, 2013.

The pour is a deep dark brown color with a long lasting beige head. Very inviting.

The aroma is full of dark and chocolate malts but no booze. And also no hop character to speak of. Just a clean, chocolate note. No coffee even though this is stout.

The body is medium but also creamy.

The taste has a pleasant chocolate malt character with a mild bitterness at the end. It is a beer that has won some awards and it it is easy to see why.

11-29-2013 03:16:01 | More by puboflyons
ExtraStout

4.64/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The pour is a creamy root beer colored head that just floats on the blackish beer with bubbles so fine they disappear into infinity.

Aroma is a subtle roastiness. Smells fresh, alive. Vinous, with a touch of fruitiness tucked in there. Waaaay in the back. The taste is a creamy slightly sweet oh god it just slipped like smooth and velvety down my throat. But not like velvet. It's like the carbonation is so fine and light that you get this amazing mouthfeel. Oh, but the taste is a subtle creamy sweet light roastiness with hardly any hop flavor and mostly light coffee (the way coffee with a little milk tastes, or coffee milk, if you're from RI) and in a way, like milk. This beer tells you you are drinking something special, something good. Slight roast malt sourness inthe aftertaste, but even that makes you aware of the complexity. Some bitter chocolate.

09-03-2013 01:25:27 | More by ExtraStout
jrenihan

Ontario (Canada)

4.19/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beer is jet black with a moderately-sized tan head. Head fades fairly quickly.

Nose strongly contains roasted malt, along with coffee and bitter chocolate. A bit of anise. The roasted scent is nice.

Taste is similar to the nose. Strong roasted malt flavour, a bit of bitter coffee and chocolate. Again, some anise, but pretty light. A hint of fruity hops, pretty subdued. Moderately bitter. Full flavoured, quite tasty.

Medium to full bodied, moderate carbonation, chewy and nice.

Overall, really a very nice dry stout. This beer should take the place of Guinness in every bar out there- there would always be a good choice on hand! Straight forward but very good.

08-28-2013 21:32:46 | More by jrenihan
joeseppy

3.33/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Very dark brown pour with initially a large head that ebbed.

Aroma is basically roasted malt, some coffee.

Taste is on par with a black ale without any hops. Just toasted grain. No cocoa, no coffee, no fuss, no muss...etc

Stout is on the thin side with nothing lasting or coating.

Pretty darn bland if you ask me. Will quench a thirst though. I bought quite a few on a recent east coast trip. The recent reviews were decent enough and the price is low. Will update if anything changes.

08-21-2013 00:26:15 | More by joeseppy
steverino

4.04/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is a very nice stout. Not as creamy as a Guinness, but very tasty and packs a punch. Lots of head. The first pour was all foam. Had to wait until it died down, then poured out the rest and it was worth the wait. Great flavors of roasted barley and the right amount of bitterness. At under $6 for a 22 oz bottle, it's a great deal! Will definitely buy again.

08-17-2013 01:15:46 | More by steverino
Kendo

4.41/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Served warmer than usual on a really hot day, probably around 50 degrees would be my guess - i.e., slightly colder than cellar temperature. Poured - fairly aggressively - from the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Body is black with a half-finger tannish head. Leaves a decent amount of lacing stuck to the sides of the glass.

S: Roasty. Hint of charcoal and coffee. Herbal or leafy hops; tobacco.

T: Roasted barley malt, touch of roasted coffee beans and modestly acrid char. A bit of chocolate. Sour cherries on the back end of things. Some sort of hop bitterness finishes it off; I'm thinking more citrus than anything, but it's tough to pinpoint the hoppy bitterness in light of the roasted barley and charcoal-type flavors.

M: Good carbonation levels - not overly active at all, giving this a good modestly creamy feel. Heft is a tad bit thin, but for a Dry Irish Stout, I'm not expecting a full bodied beer at all, so it works.

O: This is really good. Packs a lot of flavor into a relatively light stout. Drinks like a four or five percenter, but packs in nearly seven. Quick buzz is duly noted.

07-16-2013 02:42:03 | More by Kendo
TK5150

Maine

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Vintage 2007 or early 2008. Can't remember exactly when I bought this one, but I know its been sitting in my cellar for over 5 years. Original 22 oz. bottle-conditioned bomber produced in Bar Harbor. Lots of yeast on the bottom.

A- In the glass it sits black with a small beige head. Still has some decent carbonation, even after all these years.

S- Smells distinctly of chocolate and coffee.

T- Tastes like chocolate and coffee blended together. Light, somewhat tart fruitiness (cherry or cranberry) at times; probably due to some oxidation. The oxidation is not bad at all, though. On a couple of sips, there was a little something off and the finish ended abruptly, but that's OK. The vast majority were delicious.

M- Very smooth due to the aging. The carbonation is light, but still very much there and is a nice compliment to the smooth nature of the beer.

O- I'm quite happy with how this one aged. I haven't had this one in years, but I'd say I like it more now than I did back in the day (even though I enjoyed it back then, too).

07-14-2013 00:10:41 | More by TK5150
Dope

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

No idea as to the age, I would estimate 3 years old. Hopefully it's held up.

A: Pours an almost-black with a big thick and fluffy medium brown head. Head fades somewhat slowly, leaving fluffy traces behind on the glass. Top notch retention.

S: Wonderful creamy chocolate and caramel. Hints of bitter coffee. Just a touch of char?

T: Mellow and very creamy chocolate up front. Decent sweetness initially, almost a caramel malt type of sweetness mingling with the chocolate and hints of coffee. Dry in the finish, quite dry with hints of acrid char and bitter dark chocolate.

M: Nice medium body, not too heavy. Very smooth and creamy. Dry in the finish.

O: Held up pretty good given the age and only 6.7%. Super easy drinking, goes down so smoothly. Super smooth and creamy. Proper dry finish for the style. Easily the best irish dry stout I've ever had.

07-08-2013 02:52:30 | More by Dope
jcharisman

3.76/5  rDev -10.7%

My wife brought me back some from here trip up to Maine and I lined one up for the next day. Curiously, every bottle I opened exhibited quite a bit of foam leading me to believe there was something wrong with this batch. So, keeping that in mind I took some tentative sips before really drinking some down. While I do like this beer I have to say that it left me wanting a little more...robustness. I'm a big fan of stouts and I feel like I could drink quite a few of theses - in other words they didn't seem to fill my desire as they seemed to lack a little something that most stouts bring to the table. Still, a worthy beer.

06-12-2013 22:53:47 | More by jcharisman
Etan

Wisconsin

4.31/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle.

A: Smooth black with a ring of cocoa-colored foam.

S: Pleasant roasted grain, a bit of lactose-like sweetness, a bit of coffee bean aroma. Hits a really nice balance between sweet and roasty that a lot of stouts miss.

T; Dry roast, lightly burnt cocoa, dark chocolate, cream, more mildly charred grain, a bit of piney hop bitterness throughout.

M: Between light and medium-bodied with a silky, airy aspect to it.

O: Very nice dry stout. Well-executed in all categories.

06-12-2013 02:39:46 | More by Etan
ktblue22

Vermont

4.69/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

mmm absolutely delicious!! I was very blown away by this beer, I think its a perfect example of how wonderful Irish Dry Stouts can be. This is definitely NOT a Guinness!

Appearance - smooth, black with almost a grey-white head. The way I would describe this beer is like calm black water on a moonless night.

Smell - clear roasted maltiness, not overpowering at all.

Taste - Beautifully creamy yet not rich, extremely smooth and palatable. I finished the first bottle in less than 15 minutes because I could not stop filling my mouth with it.

Mouthfeel - wet, smooth and sooo drinkable.

Overall - Get this beer. Seriously.

05-16-2013 22:15:51 | More by ktblue22
sethmeister

New Hampshire

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

A hard pour yields a thin creamy tan head which quickly recedes to a skim and a ring, atop an opaque black body.

Scent is leafy tobacco, cold bitter coffee, roasted and a leche flan note. Hint of peat smoke.

Taste is coffee dusted with cocoa. caramel. peat smoke. roasted and charred flavors. a hint of vanilla. very dry. mildly bitter with some leafy hop notes.

Mouth is a chalky medium.

I've been meaning to try this stout for years now and I finally found a bottle of it. Blurs the lines of the Irish Dry Stout style certainly but I did enjoy it. Would buy again.

05-11-2013 00:40:59 | More by sethmeister
milliCAN

Indiana

4.24/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is my first trade "extra" from Travdawg. Thanks, man!

Violently poured into a Capital Brewery tulip.

Black ass beer. No light penetration at all. The head is a cream tan color that drops off to an eighth of an inch.

It smells like a malty black ale with a tiny brown sugar hint.

Loads of malt and some molasses. It's delicious.

05-10-2013 01:32:45 | More by milliCAN
PicoPapa

3.86/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle. Pours a pitch black color with virtually no head. The aroma is earthy and booze with hints of chocolate. Minimal lacing.Tastes booze and earthy with some hints of dark cherries and bitter dark chocolate. Coffee grounds as well. Slightly floral aftertaste. Light mouthfeel with little carbonation. Very drinkable. This seems like a great summer stout. Overall, pretty good beer I'd grab every so often.

05-09-2013 23:40:00 | More by PicoPapa
JerzDevl2000

Hard to believe I never had this - at one point, I think this was ranked among the Top 100 beers here in the states but that was a while ago and I always said I'd give as much of those a go as I could if I found them on the shelf. Sure enough, this was on the shelf in Totowa and my friend behind the counter said that this was an easygoing Stout that was still enjoyable. He was right, and even though this wasn't the best that I've had, not many have gone down as smoothly and easily as this.

Not much of an aroma to this but the pour was what I expected - dark, carbonated, and with a moderate head. The few few sips I took left nice lacing rings but that wasn't as present as I made my way through my pint glass. Lots of peat and Scotch Ale-like malt in the nose, and the stickiness was also present in the mouthfeel. with a fair amount of molasses and espresso. Couldn't feel the caramel here but the aftertaste was a nice mix of the peat and bitter chocolate, with only a faint hint of booze. Not a lot of stickiness to this and the carbonation that was present in the pour was repeated here, since there was a bit of soda-like scrubbing present in each sip.

Only when I made my way through the whole pint could I feel the alcohol. Yes, it's that well hidden and didn't detract from the beer at all. While this wasn't terribly strong or rich, this was a solid brew that held its own and served as a good example of what an Irish Dry Stout should be. It's not a session beer but I can't imagine anyone not being able to kick back with a few of these in one sitting.

03-29-2013 09:14:36 | More by JerzDevl2000
micromaniac129

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Cadillac mt. stout pours your prototypicial deep black. On a vigorous pour hardly any head was produced, what little there was was fairly dense and mocha beige. No lacing.
Aroma is malty with hints of molasses and bittersweet chocolate.
Taste is richly malted and well roasted. But there is also plenty of gritty courseness and a good bit of ashen or charcoal taste to boot.
Taste is dry and pleasent but drinks more like an imperial then your standard stout.

01-26-2013 13:42:01 | More by micromaniac129
thecheapies

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cadillac Mountain Stout. Bought as a single from D's Six-Pack and Dogs. From 12oz bottle to a pint glass. Notched dating tells me this was best before November of 2012.

Pours jet black with some dark brown hues around the thin edges. Not much head formed. I only saw a maximum 1/3" of beige foam. Left to a sudsy ring shortly after.

Nice little aroma. Milk chocolate, peat, coffee, dulce de leche, and a whiff of smoke. I can't believe these are descriptors used for the nose of an Irish Dry Stout.

Light hops pronounce a lovely earthiness that is supported by cocoa and coffee flavors that are savory, but not particularly sweet. Dry tones play in with that peatiness that sparks a dimension of wet smoke and fire. The caramel notes I picked up in the nose are gone; they would've been unwanted, anyways. Soft middle leaves a nicely bitter finish with lingering notes of the baker's chocolate and medium-roast coffee. Excellent stuff and worth buying in larger formats (a case, perhaps?).

Medium body with medium carbonation. Drinks with a heavier hand in strength than you'd first expect. It almost warms me. I'm very happy with the mouthfeel and drinkability, as a whole.

Kick-ass stout. I can't believe it took me until now to finally give this a whirl. Countless times I've passed up a cheap sixer of this stuff (mainly, because I wanted to try it, but couldn't justify buying a full pack for the same reason). I can assure you, that won't happen again. The six-pack will indeed come home with me next time.

01-15-2013 03:19:40 | More by thecheapies
zeledonia

3.58/5  rDev -15%

When I was a kid, I used to take vacations up to Mount Desert Island, that often included hiking on and around Cadillac. So when I heard about this beer, I started craving it. And when I saw it in a local shop while visiting family in NJ, I couldn't pass it up. Tasted 29 December 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours dark coffee brown, clear at the edges but not allowing light through the center. One finger of light yellowish tan head. Decent retention and okay lacing.

Smell is pretty faint, and doesn't smell very stouty. Lightly sweet, soft medium-roasted malts that bring a bit of coffee. On top of that is a hint of yeast and a dash of grassy hops. Bits, hints, touches; just not all that much there.

Taste is lightly sweet, with a bit of molasses and a dry woody back-end.

Medium-bodied, lighter than I expect from most stouts. A small amount of carbonation, but it's fluffy and foamy. A lightly dry finish.

A decent stout, smooth and plenty drinkable but nothing special.

01-07-2013 05:03:59 | More by zeledonia
afrokaze

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Review 50! From my droid, sorry for typos. A big thanks to muskiesman for a sweet extra!

Pours a deep brown that that's nearly black, with tan head that dies into a nice cap that lasts the whole pint, slick spotty lacing.

Smell is dominated by dark roast malt, coffee grounds, cacao, some light smoke, vanilla. Takes a long time to open up.

Dark roasted grain, bakers chocolate, some dark fruit and hop spice spice similar to a Baltic porter. Sweet mid palate with vanilla leads to a dry roasty finish with a hint of smoke.A bit strong for style but still super drinkable.

Mouth is firm and satisfying but still leads to a long dry finish to style. Chocolate and coffee sit on the tongue long after each sip.

A great desert beer that doesn't weigh you down. would drink a ton if it was on shelves near me. Sweet and creamy with a dry finish, hits all the notes. Best dry stout I've had, a pleasure to drink.

12-15-2012 06:00:57 | More by afrokaze
wethorseblanket

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle received as an extra at least 2 years ago. Sitting in cellar until now.
Thanks to whoever included it - you know who you are.

A: Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. Black with a thin mocha head which fades to the rim leaving some splotches of lace.

N: Rich, dark chocolate, roasty grains along with some wood.

T: Roasted malts, dark chocolate with slight char. Mildly sweet and earthy. On warming the plum and raisin notes come out.

M: Full body and moderate carbonation. Slight bitterness on finish.

O: Decent and basic. Perhaps I should have had it sooner.

12-15-2012 01:30:48 | More by wethorseblanket
GarthDanielson

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer is a very dark, full, amber highlighted brown-to-black coloring with a thin layer of light tan, frothy head. Aromas of light coffee, both roasty and bitter, with a heavy dose of sweet, creamy, milk chocolate. Flavors of more heavily roasted and bitter coffee, with the sweet milk chocolate serving more to highlight. Some touches of roast and smoke throughout to help give a dynamic to the palate. The beer is mid-bodied, but full and robust. Aftertastes of roast and bitter, with a warm overall feel. The finish is more of the bitter and roasty coffee, but smooth enough to refrain from drying the mouth. Very smooth drinker, and very tasty. Good brew!

12-09-2012 19:02:18 | More by GarthDanielson
dubinsky

1.93/5  rDev -54.2%

I found this one in the back of the fridge and recall this from a trade a made early last year. I'm not sure of the age on this one. But its pouring buckets outside and I couldn’t think of a better thing to do than sit and watch my Niners own the Rams and enjoy a nice stout.

A – Poured into Crate and Barrel snifter. The pour seems fairly thin. A pitch black color beer with a light brown, finger high head resulted from a normal pour. The foamy head receded while I was typing this, so fairly quickly. No lacing to speak of.

S – The smell is really fruit forward. Tons of prunes and raisin aromas caught me off guard as I was expecting a bit more roasted tones, which are present, but to my nose are in the background rather than front. Not smelling the typical chocolate and coffee tones that I was hoping for.

T – Not sure if there is much of a taste really here. I’m really disappointed. It does have some bitterness and not much else. I cant taste the fruits I picked up on the nose, and don’t detect any sweetness, coffee or much of anything else really. There are some distinct peaty, smoked flavors that I finally detected as the beer warmed up.

M – This is by far the best feature of this beer. Nice, creamy mouthfeel. Very full bodied, not what I thought I would get from the thin pour.

O – Perhaps this beer was past its prime. Perhaps it was a bad batch, but this one really disappointed me. I’m not sure I will seek this out again.

12-02-2012 18:49:53 | More by dubinsky
Boto

4.25/5  rDev +1%

22 oz. bomber: This one pours an opaque, very dark brown color. There was a very small tan head on it that didn’t linger long. Almost no lacing. Nice nose. Pretty full or aroma, but mainly chocolate and roasted malts. Some coffee notes also. The taste is good. Roasty, chocolate, and coffee mainly in the taste. A very nice stout!

12-01-2012 22:42:25 | More by Boto