Cadillac Mountain Stout - Bar Harbor Brewing Company

Bar Harbor Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-10-2002

A full-bodied stout with focused chocolate flavors and plenty of hops and malt, Cadillac Mtn. Stout was selected World Champion Dry Stout 1995 and the best hard-to-find beer in America by Men’s Journal.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cadillac Mountain Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 676 | Hads: 1,170

I found this one in the back of the fridge and recall this from a trade a made early last year. I'm not sure of the age on this one. But its pouring buckets outside and I couldn’t think of a better thing to do than sit and watch my Niners own the Rams and enjoy a nice stout.

A – Poured into Crate and Barrel snifter. The pour seems fairly thin. A pitch black color beer with a light brown, finger high head resulted from a normal pour. The foamy head receded while I was typing this, so fairly quickly. No lacing to speak of.

S – The smell is really fruit forward. Tons of prunes and raisin aromas caught me off guard as I was expecting a bit more roasted tones, which are present, but to my nose are in the background rather than front. Not smelling the typical chocolate and coffee tones that I was hoping for.

T – Not sure if there is much of a taste really here. I’m really disappointed. It does have some bitterness and not much else. I cant taste the fruits I picked up on the nose, and don’t detect any sweetness, coffee or much of anything else really. There are some distinct peaty, smoked flavors that I finally detected as the beer warmed up.

M – This is by far the best feature of this beer. Nice, creamy mouthfeel. Very full bodied, not what I thought I would get from the thin pour.

O – Perhaps this beer was past its prime. Perhaps it was a bad batch, but this one really disappointed me. I’m not sure I will seek this out again.

2.65/5  rDev -36.8%

Thanks to markgugs for this one.

A: Pours black with ruby highlights and a two-finger foamy head. Little lacing.

S: Light smell of chocolate and roasted malts with a bit of oak aroma.

T: A strong metallic taste with moderate bitterness. Little chocolate, coffee, or other typical stout flavors to be found.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate-high carbonation. A bit fizzy, yet creamy on the swallow.

D: Not unpleasant, but not very good either. I'm thinking that this bottle is just oxidized, but until I can confirm this with another bottle, my recommendation is to pass.

2.79/5  rDev -33.4%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours dark brown with a total lack of carbonation. No head at at all.

The aroma is medium and super malty with notes of caramel, bread, and candied sugar.

The taste is super boring and flavorless. The feel is light without any flavor or feel at all. The taste is totally dead until the very end where you get a hint of skunked coffee.

no bueno at all.

2.89/5  rDev -31%

A: Virtually opaque blackness with a two-finger mixed bubble tan head that holds on well. Decent lacing.

S: Burnt malt and burnt marshmallow with traces of cocoa powder. Initially has a slight sourness that fades after pouring.

T: Smooth, but amazingly one-dimensional. There is an acrid burnt taste initially that sweetens a bit in the mid palate. The finish is bitter and burnt, and persists longer than I'd like for the flavor. There's little development and virtually no traces of cocoa or coffee in the flavor.

M: Remarkably similar to Guinness or Murphy's. The alcohol is so well-integrated that it sneaks up on you. I'd really like a bit more fullness for 6.7%.

O: Regrettably I can't recommend this stout. There's not enough complexity, the booze seems to be without a cause, and the aftertaste is not very pleasant.

Had at Madison, WI BA Tasting #2

appearance - dark, brown head

smell - roasted coffee

taste - light flavor, coffee flavor is of bad coffee. Not sure what kind of bean they used in it. meh. some chocolate and sweetness.

mouth - low carbonation.

overall - i didn't care for this one much at all.

3.05/5  rDev -27.2%

Dark, less viscous than anticipated pour into my trusty generic stout glass. What fails to impress on the pour is redeemed by some dynamite lacing that reaches and sticks after every sip.

Cola and roast on the nose with some faint cocoa and vanilla.

Roast and faint coffee with a slightly bitter finish. Nothing here really stands out. I received this in a trade last year and wonder if time has been unkind to this beer. I treated her well, but she has either aged somewhat poorly or was never the prize pig I hoped she be.

Body is like my homebrew stout that never reached maturity. Just falls short of the body necessary for a solid stout.

Meh. Thanks for the shot, but if this is her true colors, our relationship ends after the first date.

3.06/5  rDev -27%

Nice smokey aroma and flavor, but overall rather watery. I prefer stouts that command attention, whereas this one seems to prefer sitting in the corner waving a little lace handkerchief: "Notice me! No, wait... don't notice me!" The smoke is heavy-handed (although I liked it) and covers any other characteristic that might be hiding in the beer. There's a salty taste here that would be nice if it were offset by something slightly bitter. If you like all-ham beer, this is for you. If you prefer balance... look elsewhere.

3.13/5  rDev -25.3%

Big thanks to Stevemcqueenjr for this one. I had been anxious to try this for a while.

Ehh very thin which pours a full medium brown, with very little khaki brown head that's gone in 6 seconds. I have alleviated my mind that this is just a regular stout, but come on? When I think of what a regular stout should look like, my mind reverts straight to guinness without hesitating.

The smell is metallic, too much caramel unbalanced by some chocolate gives it a very odd scent. Some dry coffee scents. It just doesn't blend well in this area.

Very thin, tons of coffee, some bitter chocolates. Not impressed with this. Very dry and just straight up displeasing for a stout.

3.14/5  rDev -25.1%

22 oz. Bomber into a tulip.

A - Hardly any head. Lacing is evident but light. Color is similar to guiness. Held to the light it is black with very dark reddish hints.

S - Reminds me of making chocolate chip cookies, when you open the yellow package of hershey's semi sweet chips.

T - Meh. I don't see what the fuss is about. The sip is unremarkable but the finish saves it, great little blast of chocolate at the end.

M - This is my first dry stout and probably my last. The dryness takes that afore mentioned nice choclate taste and turns it sour. I gave this a 3.0 because I didn't think it fair to pan it as apparently a dry stout is supposed to do this.

3.15/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance: Deep black. Syrupy looking. Sticky, medium brown head.

Aroma: Roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. Slight sweet alcohol tones.

Taste: Thick malty and sweet up-front, with suprisingly dry finish. Slightly hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Slightly fleeting with carbonation lifhting the mid-palate. Short throughout, but flavorful.

Drinkability: Not at all impressed with this one. Not as full and flavorful as I would have expected from the color and aroma.

Tasted blind at the Saint Louis BA tasting 12/14/03

3.16/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours with almost no head, half a finger at best. Black coffee colored body, clear, some deep red if held up to the light. Kind of a let down that the head dissipates immediately. A ring of lacing does remain. Smells quite nice, coffee, espresso, sweet malts, roasted barley, milk chocolate. Tastes is off roasted barley lots of it, some dry coco, some burnt sugar, sweet malts, toffee maybe as well. The finish is dry with some lingering oily bitterness. The taste on this not too bad but the lack of body confuses me. I kind of think of it as an IPA without the hoppy flavors and/or aroma. Again the body is medium/thin. Medium high carbonation. The dry finish and kind of thin body leaves this one lacking. $5.50 a bomber, purchased 5/2010

3.17/5  rDev -24.3%

A - thin but jet black with a quick brown cocoa head.

S - chocolate capacinno musky and smokey. A little bit like gasoline.

T - very similar to the smell. although the aftertaste is kinda blah. onto...

M - settles to a much more coffee based aftertaste. Although give fifteen seconds and gone. And eh.. I need some water. Not super satisfying but not horrible.

O - nice smell and initial taste but a little hard to finished. Definitely worth a shot.

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

I'm parting company with many reviewers of this beer by claiming that it is definitely not an A- beer by any stretch. The beer is perfectly acceptable, inoffensive, and drinkable, but that is as far as I'll go. It pours an inky black color with a decent head, some retention. The aroma is dark, charred malts.

The taste is oily on the tongue, fairly medium bodied, despite what the marketers claim on the label. The beer has too many charred flavors for my linking, not enough body, some biting notes, and is just okay. I will re-review just to make sure that I am not panning a beer without due diligience, but this beer just isn't great. More to come.

3.21/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours black with an amber undertone and a nice off white to tan head that melts to a substantial ring of lace that lasts the entire drink.

Aromas are mildly coffee and burnt malts with a hint of chocolate. Nothing overpowering at all.

Taste is also subdued...surprisingly after all of the hype. Burnt dark chocolate malts, bittersweet chocolate with a hint of sugar sweetening it all, then a nice subtle drying.

Aftertaste is clean for a stout...very clean.

Pleasant to drink...but not spectacular in my mind. Seriously, drinking a Black Hawk Stout next to it right now,m I prefer the Black Hawk.

3.21/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Stout! Pours black as thick coffee with a dark tan head. Smells of coffee and burnt toast.
Similar flavors of char and chocolate in the malt, but has some assertive hops to balance. Thick mouthfeel but not cloying. Leaves the palate when asked to move on. One is enough, but a nice beer overall.

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a solid black color- very opaque with a barely visable brown lining of head.
Smell is very malty and sweet.
Taste is very roasted- coffee and sweet malt with a bitter bean ending to the taste.
Finish is a smidge wet with a bitter coffee bite.
Drinks ok- the less than stellar finish is tough to drink at times.

3.26/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a nice big, thick head that does fall after a couple of minutes leaving a lacing behind. The color is nice and black. The smell is sour, with a backround of slight coffee malts. The taste is smooth and has a slight coffee backround, but has a weird taste before the aftertaste gives you a nice dry stout with some good sweet tones to it. The mouthfeel is alright, not too bad. Overall I wouldn't try this without xtenuating circumstances.

3.27/5  rDev -22%

Bomber with no date. Pours jet black with a darker-than-tan head, but it lasts no longer than the time it took me to write this sentence. Smoky aroma carries with it some burnt coffee beans and maybe a little dark chocolate.

First sip brings a whole lot more smoke. As the bottle warms there is a hard to identify sweetness, almost a boozy character. There is no ABV on the bottle but I certainly would have guessed higher than it is. I'll admit that it was a bit of a chore to finish the bottle.

Huh. This was unexpected. I've had this beer once years ago, and I certainly remember liking it more than this. The roasted and smoky characteristics seemed a bit overwrought for a supposedly straightforward American stout.

Poured into a New Belgium globe

A - Dark black with a thin mocha-colored head that quickly receded to a swirling haze and thin ring around the glass. Leaves nice sheets of lace.
S - Very dark and "roasty" aromas of chocolate, dark malt, coffee, dark berries, oatmeal, and a touch of smoke.
T - Chocolate, dark roasted malt, and coffee dominate the flavor, with just a slight smokiness carrying over from the nose. Taste isn't as complex as the nose would suggest, I'm a bit disappointed in this one.
M - Medium-thin mouthfeel with low carbonation. A bit watery, the consistency of this beer is not what I wanted. Too thin, not creamy enough for me.
D - Not bad, but I won't be seeking this out again. Just not my taste when it comes to Stouts, particularly in the mouthfeel.

12 oz bottle, no date.

almost black, just a thin head. a touch of lacing. aroma is very earthy, actually slightly fruity. woody. kind odd for the style. taste is very roasty - chocolate, subtle coffee. slightly acidic. medium to thick, lower carbonation. full bodied.

decent, but sorta smelled and tasted a bit stale? maybe an older bottle, but no way of knowing.

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass...

Pours black, medium thickness with two fingers light tan head, a little bit of lacing and a cap of haze is left behind...

Sweet chocolate malts initially dominate the nose, some roasted and smokey aromas come forward with some molasses to add some complexity, has a bit of a coffee smell mixed in as well, pretty good...

Roasted chocolate malts, stale coffee, no real sweetness to speak of even though the nose was heavily sweet...overall, mostly bitter and bland, lacking character or complexity...

Light/Medium bodied, thin and slick, low carbonation and very still on the tongue, lingering stale coffee taste...

Constantly let down by regular stouts, the mouthfeel is usually what turns me off, but with this one, I thought it lacked any pleasant tastes and the feel was just way off, I guess American Stouts really aren't my thing...

3.32/5  rDev -20.8%

A - Dark black/brown with a thin light brown head that faded quickly.

S - Over-roasted aromas of chocolate, malt, and coffee.

T - One-dimensional dark roasted malt, chocolate and coffee flavors, with a bitter finish. Too charred for my liking.

M - Comparatively thin mouthfeel with low CO2. A bit understructured, without the expected creaminess.

D - Not particularly inspiring, given the options.

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%

22oz bottle split at a Pittsburgh tasting. Big thanks to thebouch01 for providing this!

A - Pours a chocolate brown with about a finger's worth of tan head. Some decent retention giving the rather low amount of head, with some spattered lacing around the glass.

S - The smell is a bit of a drawback for me. It is full of a nice roast and an almost milk chocolate note, but there's a strong metallic note that keeps it from being overly enjoyably.

T - As in the nose, the metal is back here, though not as strongly. The overall flavors are pretty solid, encompassing a slight roast, cocoa, a bit of chocolate, and a faint amount of hops. However, although it has these notes, they are pretty faint throughout and neither make a strong case to be the focus.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with good carbonation. Smooth, full-bodied, and an easy-drinker.

D/O - Drinkability is moderate. The base characteristics of this beer are all solid and promising, but there are some things that keep it from reaching excellence. The metallic notes are one thing, as well as the rather weak flavors in the taste.

3.34/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Very dark brown pour with initially a large head that ebbed.

Aroma is basically roasted malt, some coffee.

Taste is on par with a black ale without any hops. Just toasted grain. No cocoa, no coffee, no fuss, no muss...etc

Stout is on the thin side with nothing lasting or coating.

Pretty darn bland if you ask me. Will quench a thirst though. I bought quite a few on a recent east coast trip. The recent reviews were decent enough and the price is low. Will update if anything changes.

3.36/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours into my pint glass a dark black color, with a thin light tan head, a small amount of lacing left behind on the rim.

Smell: light smell of roasted malt.

Taste: similar to smell, the roasted malt is the dominant flavor and that is how it should be, it's a good taste.

Mouthfeel: its medium bodied, I think that if it was a little thicker it would be a lot better.

Drinkability: its drinkable, like I said before it could have been thicker.

Cadillac Mountain Stout from Bar Harbor Brewing Company