Cadillac Mountain Stout - Bar Harbor Brewing Company

Bar Harbor Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-10-2002

A full-bodied stout with focused chocolate flavors and plenty of hops and malt, Cadillac Mtn. Stout was selected World Champion Dry Stout 1995 and the best hard-to-find beer in America by Men’s Journal.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cadillac Mountain Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 670 | Hads: 1,135
4.28/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Vintage 2007 or early 2008. Can't remember exactly when I bought this one, but I know its been sitting in my cellar for over 5 years. Original 22 oz. bottle-conditioned bomber produced in Bar Harbor. Lots of yeast on the bottom.

A- In the glass it sits black with a small beige head. Still has some decent carbonation, even after all these years.

S- Smells distinctly of chocolate and coffee.

T- Tastes like chocolate and coffee blended together. Light, somewhat tart fruitiness (cherry or cranberry) at times; probably due to some oxidation. The oxidation is not bad at all, though. On a couple of sips, there was a little something off and the finish ended abruptly, but that's OK. The vast majority were delicious.

M- Very smooth due to the aging. The carbonation is light, but still very much there and is a nice compliment to the smooth nature of the beer.

O- I'm quite happy with how this one aged. I haven't had this one in years, but I'd say I like it more now than I did back in the day (even though I enjoyed it back then, too). (1,043 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

No idea as to the age, I would estimate 3 years old. Hopefully it's held up.

A: Pours an almost-black with a big thick and fluffy medium brown head. Head fades somewhat slowly, leaving fluffy traces behind on the glass. Top notch retention.

S: Wonderful creamy chocolate and caramel. Hints of bitter coffee. Just a touch of char?

T: Mellow and very creamy chocolate up front. Decent sweetness initially, almost a caramel malt type of sweetness mingling with the chocolate and hints of coffee. Dry in the finish, quite dry with hints of acrid char and bitter dark chocolate.

M: Nice medium body, not too heavy. Very smooth and creamy. Dry in the finish.

O: Held up pretty good given the age and only 6.7%. Super easy drinking, goes down so smoothly. Super smooth and creamy. Proper dry finish for the style. Easily the best irish dry stout I've ever had. (859 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.5%

My wife brought me back some from here trip up to Maine and I lined one up for the next day. Curiously, every bottle I opened exhibited quite a bit of foam leading me to believe there was something wrong with this batch. So, keeping that in mind I took some tentative sips before really drinking some down. While I do like this beer I have to say that it left me wanting a little more...robustness. I'm a big fan of stouts and I feel like I could drink quite a few of theses - in other words they didn't seem to fill my desire as they seemed to lack a little something that most stouts bring to the table. Still, a worthy beer. (627 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle.

A: Smooth black with a ring of cocoa-colored foam.

S: Pleasant roasted grain, a bit of lactose-like sweetness, a bit of coffee bean aroma. Hits a really nice balance between sweet and roasty that a lot of stouts miss.

T; Dry roast, lightly burnt cocoa, dark chocolate, cream, more mildly charred grain, a bit of piney hop bitterness throughout.

M: Between light and medium-bodied with a silky, airy aspect to it.

O: Very nice dry stout. Well-executed in all categories. (487 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

mmm absolutely delicious!! I was very blown away by this beer, I think its a perfect example of how wonderful Irish Dry Stouts can be. This is definitely NOT a Guinness!

Appearance - smooth, black with almost a grey-white head. The way I would describe this beer is like calm black water on a moonless night.

Smell - clear roasted maltiness, not overpowering at all.

Taste - Beautifully creamy yet not rich, extremely smooth and palatable. I finished the first bottle in less than 15 minutes because I could not stop filling my mouth with it.

Mouthfeel - wet, smooth and sooo drinkable.

Overall - Get this beer. Seriously. (629 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -7.6%

A hard pour yields a thin creamy tan head which quickly recedes to a skim and a ring, atop an opaque black body.

Scent is leafy tobacco, cold bitter coffee, roasted and a leche flan note. Hint of peat smoke.

Taste is coffee dusted with cocoa. caramel. peat smoke. roasted and charred flavors. a hint of vanilla. very dry. mildly bitter with some leafy hop notes.

Mouth is a chalky medium.

I've been meaning to try this stout for years now and I finally found a bottle of it. Blurs the lines of the Irish Dry Stout style certainly but I did enjoy it. Would buy again. (570 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is my first trade "extra" from Travdawg. Thanks, man!

Violently poured into a Capital Brewery tulip.

Black ass beer. No light penetration at all. The head is a cream tan color that drops off to an eighth of an inch.

It smells like a malty black ale with a tiny brown sugar hint.

Loads of malt and some molasses. It's delicious. (337 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle. Pours a pitch black color with virtually no head. The aroma is earthy and booze with hints of chocolate. Minimal lacing.Tastes booze and earthy with some hints of dark cherries and bitter dark chocolate. Coffee grounds as well. Slightly floral aftertaste. Light mouthfeel with little carbonation. Very drinkable. This seems like a great summer stout. Overall, pretty good beer I'd grab every so often. (414 characters)

Hard to believe I never had this - at one point, I think this was ranked among the Top 100 beers here in the states but that was a while ago and I always said I'd give as much of those a go as I could if I found them on the shelf. Sure enough, this was on the shelf in Totowa and my friend behind the counter said that this was an easygoing Stout that was still enjoyable. He was right, and even though this wasn't the best that I've had, not many have gone down as smoothly and easily as this.

Not much of an aroma to this but the pour was what I expected - dark, carbonated, and with a moderate head. The few few sips I took left nice lacing rings but that wasn't as present as I made my way through my pint glass. Lots of peat and Scotch Ale-like malt in the nose, and the stickiness was also present in the mouthfeel. with a fair amount of molasses and espresso. Couldn't feel the caramel here but the aftertaste was a nice mix of the peat and bitter chocolate, with only a faint hint of booze. Not a lot of stickiness to this and the carbonation that was present in the pour was repeated here, since there was a bit of soda-like scrubbing present in each sip.

Only when I made my way through the whole pint could I feel the alcohol. Yes, it's that well hidden and didn't detract from the beer at all. While this wasn't terribly strong or rich, this was a solid brew that held its own and served as a good example of what an Irish Dry Stout should be. It's not a session beer but I can't imagine anyone not being able to kick back with a few of these in one sitting. (1,573 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

Cadillac mt. stout pours your prototypicial deep black. On a vigorous pour hardly any head was produced, what little there was was fairly dense and mocha beige. No lacing.
Aroma is malty with hints of molasses and bittersweet chocolate.
Taste is richly malted and well roasted. But there is also plenty of gritty courseness and a good bit of ashen or charcoal taste to boot.
Taste is dry and pleasent but drinks more like an imperial then your standard stout. (459 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cadillac Mountain Stout. Bought as a single from D's Six-Pack and Dogs. From 12oz bottle to a pint glass. Notched dating tells me this was best before November of 2012.

Pours jet black with some dark brown hues around the thin edges. Not much head formed. I only saw a maximum 1/3" of beige foam. Left to a sudsy ring shortly after.

Nice little aroma. Milk chocolate, peat, coffee, dulce de leche, and a whiff of smoke. I can't believe these are descriptors used for the nose of an Irish Dry Stout.

Light hops pronounce a lovely earthiness that is supported by cocoa and coffee flavors that are savory, but not particularly sweet. Dry tones play in with that peatiness that sparks a dimension of wet smoke and fire. The caramel notes I picked up in the nose are gone; they would've been unwanted, anyways. Soft middle leaves a nicely bitter finish with lingering notes of the baker's chocolate and medium-roast coffee. Excellent stuff and worth buying in larger formats (a case, perhaps?).

Medium body with medium carbonation. Drinks with a heavier hand in strength than you'd first expect. It almost warms me. I'm very happy with the mouthfeel and drinkability, as a whole.

Kick-ass stout. I can't believe it took me until now to finally give this a whirl. Countless times I've passed up a cheap sixer of this stuff (mainly, because I wanted to try it, but couldn't justify buying a full pack for the same reason). I can assure you, that won't happen again. The six-pack will indeed come home with me next time. (1,517 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

When I was a kid, I used to take vacations up to Mount Desert Island, that often included hiking on and around Cadillac. So when I heard about this beer, I started craving it. And when I saw it in a local shop while visiting family in NJ, I couldn't pass it up. Tasted 29 December 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours dark coffee brown, clear at the edges but not allowing light through the center. One finger of light yellowish tan head. Decent retention and okay lacing.

Smell is pretty faint, and doesn't smell very stouty. Lightly sweet, soft medium-roasted malts that bring a bit of coffee. On top of that is a hint of yeast and a dash of grassy hops. Bits, hints, touches; just not all that much there.

Taste is lightly sweet, with a bit of molasses and a dry woody back-end.

Medium-bodied, lighter than I expect from most stouts. A small amount of carbonation, but it's fluffy and foamy. A lightly dry finish.

A decent stout, smooth and plenty drinkable but nothing special. (982 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Review 50! From my droid, sorry for typos. A big thanks to muskiesman for a sweet extra!

Pours a deep brown that that's nearly black, with tan head that dies into a nice cap that lasts the whole pint, slick spotty lacing.

Smell is dominated by dark roast malt, coffee grounds, cacao, some light smoke, vanilla. Takes a long time to open up.

Dark roasted grain, bakers chocolate, some dark fruit and hop spice spice similar to a Baltic porter. Sweet mid palate with vanilla leads to a dry roasty finish with a hint of smoke.A bit strong for style but still super drinkable.

Mouth is firm and satisfying but still leads to a long dry finish to style. Chocolate and coffee sit on the tongue long after each sip.

A great desert beer that doesn't weigh you down. would drink a ton if it was on shelves near me. Sweet and creamy with a dry finish, hits all the notes. Best dry stout I've had, a pleasure to drink. (912 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle received as an extra at least 2 years ago. Sitting in cellar until now.
Thanks to whoever included it - you know who you are.

A: Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. Black with a thin mocha head which fades to the rim leaving some splotches of lace.

N: Rich, dark chocolate, roasty grains along with some wood.

T: Roasted malts, dark chocolate with slight char. Mildly sweet and earthy. On warming the plum and raisin notes come out.

M: Full body and moderate carbonation. Slight bitterness on finish.

O: Decent and basic. Perhaps I should have had it sooner. (565 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer is a very dark, full, amber highlighted brown-to-black coloring with a thin layer of light tan, frothy head. Aromas of light coffee, both roasty and bitter, with a heavy dose of sweet, creamy, milk chocolate. Flavors of more heavily roasted and bitter coffee, with the sweet milk chocolate serving more to highlight. Some touches of roast and smoke throughout to help give a dynamic to the palate. The beer is mid-bodied, but full and robust. Aftertastes of roast and bitter, with a warm overall feel. The finish is more of the bitter and roasty coffee, but smooth enough to refrain from drying the mouth. Very smooth drinker, and very tasty. Good brew! (704 characters)

I found this one in the back of the fridge and recall this from a trade a made early last year. I'm not sure of the age on this one. But its pouring buckets outside and I couldn’t think of a better thing to do than sit and watch my Niners own the Rams and enjoy a nice stout.

A – Poured into Crate and Barrel snifter. The pour seems fairly thin. A pitch black color beer with a light brown, finger high head resulted from a normal pour. The foamy head receded while I was typing this, so fairly quickly. No lacing to speak of.

S – The smell is really fruit forward. Tons of prunes and raisin aromas caught me off guard as I was expecting a bit more roasted tones, which are present, but to my nose are in the background rather than front. Not smelling the typical chocolate and coffee tones that I was hoping for.

T – Not sure if there is much of a taste really here. I’m really disappointed. It does have some bitterness and not much else. I cant taste the fruits I picked up on the nose, and don’t detect any sweetness, coffee or much of anything else really. There are some distinct peaty, smoked flavors that I finally detected as the beer warmed up.

M – This is by far the best feature of this beer. Nice, creamy mouthfeel. Very full bodied, not what I thought I would get from the thin pour.

O – Perhaps this beer was past its prime. Perhaps it was a bad batch, but this one really disappointed me. I’m not sure I will seek this out again. (1,468 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1%

22 oz. bomber: This one pours an opaque, very dark brown color. There was a very small tan head on it that didn’t linger long. Almost no lacing. Nice nose. Pretty full or aroma, but mainly chocolate and roasted malts. Some coffee notes also. The taste is good. Roasty, chocolate, and coffee mainly in the taste. A very nice stout! (332 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%

A. It is pure black with a small, tan head and no lacing.

S. There's a faint malty scent.

T. Oh wow...that is sensational. The first first hit is a mix of chocolate and caramel. There's a grassy, earthy flavor there. It has a burnt aftertaste. It has a milk-tasting softness to it.

M. Carbonated and tingly on the tongue. A bit of a tart chocolate aftertaste.

O. This may just be the best stout I've ever had. It is so flavorful and refreshing and not too tart. Fantastic. (476 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Black, dark. About one finger of beige head.

Smell: Roasted malts, chocolate, maybe some coffee in the background.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Thick, full bodied. Taste of roasted malts and coffee with chocolate.

Overall: Very well crafted beer. Simple, yet complex flavors give this beer a terrific feel and taste. I have had it several times and I have always enjoyed it. (418 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5%

Paired this one up with some chili while watching Monday Night Football.

Pours a coffee black with mahogany edges. Got a finger of khaki colored head that quickly disappeared into nothing but a thin ring around the edges.

Inviting aroma of roasted malt, chocolate, coffee and a touch of caramel.

The taste follows the nose. Dominated by roasted malt with nice notes of chocolate and coffee.

The mouthfeel is definitely the money maker of this beer. Medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. Gets a nice froth going when you work it around in your mouth. It is absolutely perfect from what I expect for the style.

Overall, this beer was awesome. If Guinness tasted anything like this I would be drowning myself in it. I wish that I was able to get this beer regularly. Just the perfect easy drinking stout. I see why this used to grace the top 100 back in the day. (883 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

A-dark black with a nice tan head. Pours thick.

S-great smell of rich cocoa and oatmeal actually. this smells awesome! a touch of roastiness to it.

T-comes in with an awesome taste of dark roasted cocoa and just a touch of some winter spices actually. this is an awesome beer. there is a touch of booze to the after-taste.

M-low medium carbonation. this is heavy. semi-dry finish

O-Bar Harbour, I'm going to keep my eye on you. This beer impressed me. Has to be the best irish dry i've ever had. the flavors are strong and awesome and its easy to drink. (559 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

A- Pours black as oil with a thick, frothy head. Head is about 2 fingers with great retention and good lacing.

S- All dark malts and chocolate. Very little sweet scents, mostly burnt flavors. Not terribly complex, but pretty delicious smelling.

T- Just like the scent. Starts off and continues throughout with good dark malt flavors. Hints of smokey flavors and semi-sweet chocolate mix in. Slight hints of anise creep in towards the end. Just like the scent, not terribly complex, but very consistently solid taste throughout.

M- Very thick and creamy for a lower gravity stout. Slightly higher than desired levels of carbonation. Sticky on the palate. Easy to drink, and easily sessioned.

Overall, a very good, non barrel-aged, everyday stout. Beats the hell out of a Guinness, but not quite the level of Founders' stouts. (828 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -25.1%

22 oz. Bomber into a tulip.

A - Hardly any head. Lacing is evident but light. Color is similar to guiness. Held to the light it is black with very dark reddish hints.

S - Reminds me of making chocolate chip cookies, when you open the yellow package of hershey's semi sweet chips.

T - Meh. I don't see what the fuss is about. The sip is unremarkable but the finish saves it, great little blast of chocolate at the end.

M - This is my first dry stout and probably my last. The dryness takes that afore mentioned nice choclate taste and turns it sour. I gave this a 3.0 because I didn't think it fair to pan it as apparently a dry stout is supposed to do this. (661 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance: Pitch black with a massive head, and massive retention. Significant lacing.

Smell: Strong smell of roasted malts.

Taste: Strong taste of roasted malts. Maybe a taste of coffee. Very dry; almost no sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Body is light with significant carbonation.

Drinkability: The relatively high alcohol for a Irish Stout makes it less drinkable than you would think. The carbonation is also a hindering factor. (429 characters)

Tasted On: 08-09-2012
Freshness: Best by 11-2012
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, twist-cap
Glassware: Nonic pint
Purchased: Received in a trade

A: Black and nearly opaque, with ruby edges when held to light. The head is tan and a finger high, showing good lacing and OK retention.

S: Aromas are of roasted malts, dark chocolate, oak woodiness and earthy hops.

T: Tastes of heavily-roasted malts and coffee bitterness. Dry and not sweet.

M: Body is between light and medium, with a moderate carbonation. The finish is dry and with an espresso/coffee bitterness.

O: I can see why this is a well-received stout. This is one of my least favorite styles, but is very well made and enjoyable.

Thanks to Greg for this one! (721 characters)

Cadillac Mountain Stout from Bar Harbor Brewing Company