Cadillac Mountain Stout - Bar Harbor Brewing Company

Cadillac Mountain StoutCadillac Mountain Stout

Bar Harbor Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  6.70% ABV

A full-bodied stout with focused chocolate flavors and plenty of hops and malt, Cadillac Mtn. Stout was selected World Champion Dry Stout 1995 and the best hard-to-find beer in America by Men’s Journal.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cadillac Mountain Stout Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Black/dark brown body with a creamy, cocoa colored head.

S:Roasted malts, coffee, and some light unsweetened chocolate. I get some light grassy hops and a slight metallic/nut note.

T: Taste is better. The unsweetened chocolate comes off creamy and yummy. Some earthy notes, coffee and roasted malts come through as present in the nose. Hops give there presence but do not distract. A nice stout indeed.

M: Medium body with a medium carbonation. Fits it nicely.

D: Damn easy to drink. If your a Stout fan, you must check this out.

Luchman, Apr 20, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

A- Thick dark tan head on a black brown body.
S- Big roasted and coffee malt, some grass hops in there to help balance it out.
T- Chocolate comes through pretty big, light roasted also, light coffee in the aftertaste, grass hops that help balance it out and give it a nice bitterness.
M- Full body with low/medium carbonation. Pretty creamy and smooth feel
D- I think it is very tasty. One of the best regular stouts.

BlindPig, Apr 19, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to Nase for this beer.

A: Pours a very very dark brown with just a lick of light allowed thru the thin parts of the glass. Head is made up of medium sized dark beige bubbles which are doing a good job of holding on.

S: Chocolate milk, piney hops, faint café au lait and perhaps some rootbeer.

T: Begins with medium roasted coffee taste mixed with premiere chocolate ice cream flavors. Just a touch of cola adds a sour twang but not enough to deter the drinker. A milky smoothness can be found which first struck me when I thought about ice cream, but as the drinking continues my mind wanders to pudding and milkshakes…maybe even some coconut milk. Finishes lightly metallic, with a good balance between sweet and roastedness

M: Medium body, full mouthfeel. Very nice texture.

D: Nice beer but #32 in the world is a serious reach.

Westsidethreat, Apr 05, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -38.6%

Thanks to markgugs for this one.

A: Pours black with ruby highlights and a two-finger foamy head. Little lacing.

S: Light smell of chocolate and roasted malts with a bit of oak aroma.

T: A strong metallic taste with moderate bitterness. Little chocolate, coffee, or other typical stout flavors to be found.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate-high carbonation. A bit fizzy, yet creamy on the swallow.

D: Not unpleasant, but not very good either. I'm thinking that this bottle is just oxidized, but until I can confirm this with another bottle, my recommendation is to pass.

klewis, Mar 29, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

I celebrate my 2nd BAirthday with my 200th review, and as such wanted to drink something special.

Presentation: c.2006 22oz bottle ("Brew # 01829" decal) cellared for 6 months, in a classic conical pint glass.

I've been looking forward to trying this for a while, and finally came across a bottle up in Bangor. Poured lively and freely, not very thick, a nice snap to it. Nose is full of rich, freshly ground coffee, dry, slight yeasts, crackers, it just continues to grow and bloom. Now I'm getting more sweet qualities like caramel, butterscotch, semi-sweet chocolate, faint alcohol, slight peat/earthiness in malts, even some raisin...very nice. Wow..it just doesn't give up! A little more time and now its thick with creamy European chocolate aromas, more caramel, even some sour cherry! I've never had a beer develop and evolve a nose like this...outstanding!

Head was a beautiful 2 fingers of fat, creamy, tight crema hued foam, thicker and richer at the glass edge. It lasted quite a while before retreating to a crema-like coating that laced at the glass ring, and a soft crackle was audible. Body is the quinesscentual "black in a good mood" deepest burnt umber imaginable, opaque, lush.

Oh, this is decadent. Nicely dry on the tongue, its sooo creamy and balanced. Bitter, soft hops, dry malts, slight cracker quality up front, but that is soon replaced by a luscious wave of the softest chocolate and coffee, creamy, smooth, silky, sexy. I'm still smelling it and it just keeps going and growing and changing!!! Now its more malted, bitter, dry. Hands down the BEST nose on any beer I've ever had.

Its firing on all cylinders now as I replenish the pint. Name it. Dry? Yes! Creamy? Oh yyeeahhh. Smoooth? As a baby's bottom. Balanced? Like a Romanian gymnast. Hopped? Just enough and in the right places. Roasted chocolate malts now are stepping up on the tongue. Its still lacing, which is nice. With the bottle now emptied I'm getting more biscuit & cracker qualities on the nose, but I've completely surrendered there, I'm just following its lead with blind obedience. The initial dry taste has softened to more semi-dry malts, chocolate, raisin, sour cherry. I haven't even gotten to what its like on the palate yet, but I am certainly in no rush to end this journey, which is tough in that this is sssooo easy to drink!!

It gets sweeter on the palate with rich caramel, chocolate milk, yet some hushed, black coffee bitterness balances it. Balanced, even, smooth, a nice segue to a surprisingly wet & velvety smooth finish full of soft, warm raisins, hot cocoa in that a nice, warming glow from the alcohol (which to this point has been completely hidden from view) rises up through my head and leaves my mouth coated with a warm, comfy semi-sweet taste.

I was just about to say "I'm speechless" but the short novella you just read says otherwise. Only the 2nd "5" for taste I have given in 200 reviews, and in my (just took another sip...swoon) 2 years of actively embracing craft beer....the BEST beer I have tried. I'm in love.

Simply put, if you love good beer, especially stouts, and really want to taste a well-crafted, incredibly complex yet so easy to drink beer you MUST try this. Outstanding, and #1 on my personal Top 10. Many thanks to Tod at Bar Harbor for keeping the faith and doing it right one batch at a time. I would drive over an hour for this, and I will very soon.

BuckSpin, Mar 26, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to jrdegriselles for sending this jewel in a trade.

This beer poured a blackish tan into a pint glass with zero light shining through. A vigorous pour resulted in several inches of thick, tan foam which slowly gave way to a ring of foam around the top of the beer. Not much lacing.

Aromas are not that strong, but I do have a bit of a cold and am not picking up subtle aromas that I might otherwise smell. Even so, I pick up some chocolate and roasted malts.

Taste is excellent. Roasted malts, hints of bittersweet chocolate and a slight bit of fruitiness rounds out the flavor. It is very well balanced.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. Rich and thick but not syrupy or viscous. Slight carbonation cleanses the palate and leaves you wanting more.

I wish this beer was available in NC, as I would drink it all the time.

doppelmeup, Feb 22, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured into a nonic a deep dark brown with hints of ruby hue a large blooming mocha colore head atop that settles slowlty into a creamy-like mass.Deep bitter chocolate notes with a great floral aroma coming thru that was unexpected but very nice you dont see that much in the style but made for a pleasant suprise underlying coffee tones come thru as well.Light to medium bodied but oh so smooth it was gone before I knew it,quite dry but not bitter firm unsweetened chocolate and dark roast coffee tones intertwined with a hint of charred fruit that really lends itself to the drier aspects of the beer.Defifnetly one of the better dry stouts to come my way if not the best,just flavorful I will look forward to getting more of this.

oberon, Feb 15, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Many thanks to dmeadows for sending me two bottles of this coveted stout. Sticker on bottle claims "Batch #01829." No idea what this means, exactly. Produces a noisy sand-khaki head that settles to a creamy cap on top of a nearly impenetrable dark chocolate brown, almost black, body with thin, faint garnet highlights. A beautiful sight in a 20-ounce nonic. Lovely roasted grain, chocolate, and coffee notes in the aroma. A slightly sweet toffee or caramel scent appears, too. Roasty mocha goodness. Can't ask for much more in the way of aroma for a stout. Velvety smooth, incredibly rich and full mouthfeel. Decadent chocolate caramel sweetness with dark-roasted coffee undertones. Almost veering towards dark fruits in the back, this stout is so rich and reminiscent of a dessert that I occasionally feel like it could almost be an RIS. But it's not scorched, vinous, or alcoholic enough for that. Slightly acrid finish, leaning toward off-dry. As far as the pinnacle of American Stouts is concerned, Cadillac Mtn. holds down the sweet side while Rogue Shakespeare's got the roasty dry side on lock. Can't go wrong with either one. I will gladly drink as many of these bottles as come my way. Superb.

orfeu, Feb 13, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

The bottle, purchased at Tully's in ME, pours dark brown and thick. Dark tan head had excellent lacing and retention. Earthy hops and roasted malt aromas.

Coffee and bittersweet chocolate flavors abound with similar roasted malts. Faint floral hops on the dry finish. More medium bodied than expected. Very drinkable, the bomber didn't have a chance.

Umbra, Feb 09, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours out black and leaves an excellent tan head and lacing behind. Smell was nice and roasty, plenty of cocoa as well. As I dug deeper I found remnants of earth, and a bit of some sort of a berry. Taste was earthy, sweet and definately roasty, but just didn't seem all that awesome to me (older bottle?). Medium bodied, medium carbonation, dry roasty finish. Drinkability is fine, but didn't keep bringing me back for more. I probably wouldn't go out of my way for this one again.

badbeer, Feb 09, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a nice big, thick head that does fall after a couple of minutes leaving a lacing behind. The color is nice and black. The smell is sour, with a backround of slight coffee malts. The taste is smooth and has a slight coffee backround, but has a weird taste before the aftertaste gives you a nice dry stout with some good sweet tones to it. The mouthfeel is alright, not too bad. Overall I wouldn't try this without xtenuating circumstances.

Erdinger2003, Feb 03, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Beautiful stout. Not black but very close unless held up to sunlight. It is more of a brooding deep brown with ruby consistencies throughout. Large mocha head, thick, frothy, highly retentive, and gorgeous.

One of the better smelling stouts out there at leasty in comparing pungency. I could literally smell this brew from 4 feet away. Thick, lavish roasted dark chocolate, bordering on fudge, sweet malty flavors, pure vanilla abstract, burnt woodsy caramel, hints of toffee, and dark fruits galore. A nice floral background rounds this out.

Been a while since I've drank a stout this low in alcohol with this much oomph in body and viscosity. Thick, somewhat syrupy, full of roasty dark semi sweet chocolate chunks, vanilla shows through on the mid palate and long finish. Finish also is packed full of various dark fruits, hints of licorice, and an ever so slight bitter finish. Carbonation is moderate and fits the beer exceptionally well. Easily drinkable and absolutely delicious.

Now if only Bar Harbor would sell this beer here.

mcallister, Feb 02, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

Many thanks to Solomon420
for this brew, sent for my BA annv. Whata guy !

Now this is a pour – deep brown, no black! with a tan head that just leaving a sheet down my lake snifter glass. Marvelous. Holy crap, this thing has a meal in its own just waiting on the bottom. Yum ! I just luv these bottle conditioned brews!

Menacing aroma of raisons, malt, anise, bourbon. Sheesh, no wonder this is so sought after. What a sharp and tangy mixture as you slowly quaff this – don’t rush it. The alcohol is low and hidden, a real sipper if you can hold back.

Just an awesome brew, I’m the better (and lucky) man for trying and enjoying it immensely.

Vancer, Feb 02, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Presentation: 22oz Bottle with no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: Midnight black with a 2 finger head that laces to a good amount.

Smell: A nice burnt raisins smell to it with woody and roasted grain aroma.

Taste: Woody and soft earth flavors come into at first with a nice roasted toffee/molasses taste as well. The layered sweetness is not overpowering. The balance between the different layered maltiness and the roasted flavour are great.

Mouth-Feel: A nice crispness with a full body and a creamy feel.

Drink-Ability: What can I say I love Stouts and this one is great!

mnesporov, Jan 26, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Picked this up on my trip to Maine last year. Laid down for well over a year, I hope it didn't turn on me.
Pours a deep, rich black with a consistency just this side of motor oil. The sizeable tan, creamy head makes a strange, pop rocks-like sound as it descends to its terminal size of half a finger. Nice aroma of rich, sweet malt, caramel, milk chocolate, and a hint of lactose. Palate is again rich, full of roasted dark and chocolate malts. A lactose sweetness pervades throughout, with a mild hoppy bitterness coming through towards the finish. A light hint of prune is also detectable.
The mouthfeel is nice and creamy, but can be a bit foamy if not handled carefully. Overall, though, a very enjoyable beer, and extremely drinkable. Don't know why I didn't drink it sooner. It's probably a little better fresh, but age may have done it some favors.

ElGordo, Jan 19, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Thanks to jrdegriselles for getting me this great beer.

a - pours jet black with a moderate tan head, a little retention, not much by way of lacing

s - very nicely balanced aroma, bright roasted maltiness leads with a nice compliment of bitter chocolate and coffee, alcohol is really not noticeable

t - incredibly smooth, roasted malt up front with a nice a good deal of coffee and chocolate lending body, a little bitterness as well, once again, alcohol isn't really noticeable at all; overall, delicious!

m - medium-bodied, perhaps a little too light bodied for how I like stouts, but not bad at all, a little carbonation, moderately dry finish

d - if there's a more drinkable stout, I have yet to find it, this could be one dangerous brew

Wow, this beer lived up to all the hype and more.

WeisGuy, Jan 16, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +6%

Big thanks to Waymouthmike for sending this one my way.

22oz. bottle poured black with big brown head leaving lace. Has an aroma of chocolate, malt and a little bit of alcohol. Taste rich and creamy but isn't thick, almost has more of a light feel with flavors of chocolate, roasted malt, and a mild bitterness. This brew is way to easy to drink. I think I could polish off a bomber in the time it takes me to drink some 12oz beers.

Alkey, Jan 15, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to SS jrdegriselles for this bottle that I am splitting with blitheringidiot while watching football. Good times...

This is a fine beer. Very dark in appearance. Rich coffee smell. Tastes like a stout should: rich, malty, with a coffee hint. No alcohol at all to taste. A very, very good brew which will stay on my Want list.

Cheers.

SkinnyElvis, Dec 24, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -4%

22oz bomber courtesy of timtheenchanta and the blue max bif....been interested in trying for a while now

appearance: pours into great dane imperial pint glass...dark mahogany body, rich foamy brown head, creamy retention and nice lacing left behind

smell: lots of roasted malt, bakers chocolate, licorice, light coffee...pretty good

taste: defintely a nice full flavoured stout...lots of roasted malt, dry chocolate, roasted coffee, licorice, rye, creamy, light hop flavour. Good stout, i dont know if its the best american stout though

mouthfeel: rich and creamy, roasty

drinkability: good

dirtylou, Dec 17, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

This is a beer I have been fiending after for a long while. A special thank you to Purplehops for sending this beer my way as part of BC-2. The beer was served with about 20 minutes of fridge time. The beer was poured into my trusty wide mouthed goblet.

Appearance: The beer pours a straight black coloration with no ruby opaqueness to light. The head looks like the creama on top of a nicely brewed espresso. The head is short lived and resolves to a ring of foam.

Smell: The aroma is an understated dark roasted coffee, semi sweet chocolate maltyness and perhaps a bit of vanilla. I like the smell; however, I wish the smells had a bit more expressiveness.

Taste: This is a very solidly tasting stout. The beer delivers a very satisfying roasted / slightly burnt coffee flavor. The beer continues to deliver satisfaction with a semi sweet chocolate flavor. The beer goes maple sweet on the malty side. Then dries out with a charcoal flavor. I like this beer alot!

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a plus sized medium body. The beer has low carbonation. This is a very creamy beer. Again I have to mention I really like this beer. This was a very hard beer for me to put down. I will seek out more of this beer at a later date.

nlmartin, Nov 27, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I received this as a present and couldn't have received a better gift. Poured into a glass to release a tall, thin foam on top of a thick, dark body. I could smell the delicious chocolate and coffee tones. Taste in my mouth was exceptional: smooth, light, and crisp with no aftertaste. Simply outstanding beverage. Smoothest stout I've ever tasted. Would love to get out east to be able to sample a fresh pint in the future.

christopherharm, Nov 21, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours very dark brown, almost opaque, with a glimmer of ruby just around the edges when held up to the light. Nice quarter inch dark tan head, excellent retention. Moderate lacing.

Aroma is roasted malt, dark chocolate, and coffee.

Flavor is mild....roasted malt upfront, some dark chocolate moving towards a dry finish with a roasted coffee aftertaste. Just a hint of roasted malt bitterness in the finish. I'm not getting any obvious hop contribution.

Medium-body, moderate carbonation. I say medium body because that's how it feels on the going down, but it's pretty filling at the same time. Balance is good. I would say that the promise of the aroma isn't fully realized in the taste. It's milder than I expected. Overall, a good example of the style.

briman, Nov 20, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Appears a dark mahogany, borderline black with no light being able to shine through. A 2 finger, tan head slowly fades into a small, bubbly cap. Streaks of lacing are scattered around the bottle.
Smell is of creamy, mocha, cocoa, light roasted malt, light fruit highlighted by raisins.
Taste is of the same aromas with coffee, toasty, licorice notes, caramel, and cream.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, toasty, and creamy.
Nice & drinkable.

weeare138, Nov 16, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Dark mahogany nearly black beer topped by a dark tan creamy looking head. Large spots of lacing cling tight on the inside of the fishbowl wine glass.

Slightly weak nose. There's some slight roasted coffee beans and a mysterious woodiness. There's a hint of alcohol which is weird for a brew that's only 6.7%.

Light creamy coffee. Leather... maybe like a leather glove? That's a bit weird but it doesn't taste bad... I just taste it. Slightly spicy alcohol mouthfeel before swallowing and having the warmth take over. Some bitter chocolate and even more roasted coffee flavor.

Lots of big flavor and feel from a relatively small beer. This one is quite enjoyable. Many thanks to jrdegriselles for a chance to try this tasty brew. I would definitely recommend this one to friends.

timtheenchanta, Oct 20, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours pitch black with a big, tight-bubbled taupe head than fades to a dusting. Doughy, yeasty aromas predominate; in the background are some dark fruits, sugared coffees, and perhaps a slight earthy hop aroma. On the tongue, this beer really shines, with creamy coffee, slightly metallic, bitter malts, a perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness, and a delicate dark fruit twang toward the end. Mouthfeel is silky smooth, with just the right amount of fine-bubbled carbonation, and the finish lasts forever. There's really nothing bad to say about this beer; it's a phenomenal stout. There are bigger examples out there, and less alcoholic ones, but very few that combine flavor, moderate alcohol, and drinkability in one package as this one does.

geexploitation, Oct 19, 2006