Cadillac Mountain Stout - Bar Harbor Brewing Company

Cadillac Mountain StoutCadillac Mountain Stout

Bar Harbor Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  6.70% ABV

A full-bodied stout with focused chocolate flavors and plenty of hops and malt, Cadillac Mtn. Stout was selected World Champion Dry Stout 1995 and the best hard-to-find beer in America by Men’s Journal.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cadillac Mountain Stout Alström Bros
sulldaddy

Connecticut

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

I am sampling this courtesy of Muddyfeet (I think). The beer is poured at room temp into a snifter. The a creamy tan head foams up relentlessly with a gentle pour. the head fades gradually and leaves some sticky rings on the glass as it recedes.
Aroma is a mix of chocolate, roasted malt, some almond nut, a bit of coffee bean and just a bit of dark fruit. Quite a nice mix on the nose.
The first sip reveals a silky smooth beer with very fine yet tingly carbonation that tickles my palate on each sip.
Flavor is similar to nose, yet I find myself focusing on a different aspect with each sip. One sip is very roasty and the next is more chocolate, then more coffee, and then a strong Mr.Goodbar presence. Quite interesting and keeps me on my toes. I think the beer is very well balanced and causes the mix of flavors to change from sip to sip.
There is not a hint of alcohol or hops that I can detect. Very easy to drink this beer and I finish the bomber in 25 mintues or so. I do notice the alcohol just a bit at the end of the last snifter full.
this is a great stout and you should try it if you find it!

03-29-2006 01:51:02 | More by sulldaddy
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

"It is said, that at some times of the year, the sun touches the slopes of Cadillac Mountain before any other place in the United States."

-Acadia National Park website

The sun is, however, unable to penetrate the murky depths of Bar Harbor Cadillac Mountain Stout. Glossy sable with red-bronze highlights peeking through the bottom edge of the glass. The head is on the large side due to what appears to be, at the moment at least, a generous amount of carbonation. The loud 'pffft' should have been a tipoff, but I still had to give the cap a well-timed slurp to prevent overflow. The foam is toasted tan in color and is airier than I like on my stouts. It's the sort of unsticky head that is unlikely to leave much lace... and doesn't.

The nose is a good one. There's nothing here that's surprising or that really stands out, just a mouth-wateringly good American stout aroma. It smells of vanilla-laced bittersweet chocolate, like a thick, chewy brownie swimming in melted vanilla bean ice cream. No molasses, anise, smoke or any of the other scents commonly attributed to the Double or Imperial stout styles. It's simple, but in a good way.

There's more flavor complexity on the palate than aroma complexity in the nose. Either that or my tastebuds are more refined than my olfactory lobe. Unfortunately, it isn't the stoutest stout going (more on that below). It's still overwhelmingly chocolate-like. Coffee with cream elbows its way into the flavor profile as well and may even become 'numero uno' as the beer approaches room temperature. Vanilla is still present, but not abundantly so.

There's a near perfect mix of flavor sensations (sweet, bitter and sour). That will be a good thing for some and not such a good thing for others. Since I like balance in my (non-subtyped) stouts, I'm fine with it. As is usually the case, bitterness reigns late in the mouthful and after the swallow. I can't decide if the hoppiness is citric or floral. It's both really, probably favoring the former.

As I'd feared, the initially vigorous amount of carbonation hasn't settled down nearly enough. That, coupled with a body that is at least as much porter as it is stout, results in a mouthfeel that can only be described as disappointing. Breaking news: the bubbles are finally calming themselves and the body is firming up just enough by the time I enter the bottom half of the bottle to earn a tentative thumbs up.

Cadillac Mountain Stout isn't the world-beater that I expected, but it is a very good version of a 'just plain ol' stout, a style that is too often ignored. Assuming a little better quality control with regard to carbonation, I can see how it earned the accolades that are so proudly displayed on the label. I'd like to thank MuddyFeet for sending the bomber my way.

03-16-2006 16:05:21 | More by BuckeyeNation
WeymouthMike

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Well, I poured this one wrong, I have an inch of beer and five of head. When the head finally recedes I make my second attempt and get what I am looking for a nice pure black wiht inch walnut head. First off the one has a good amount of carbonation in the mouthfeel and taste is a sweet and roasted all in one. As this one warms the drinkability factor jumps tremendously. I'm glad I took the trip to Portland to pick up this winner and the price is more than right grabbing four of these for less than $20.

03-14-2006 00:01:24 | More by WeymouthMike
waughbrew

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Its got that bite....that good kind of bite. But it's smooth at the same time.

Solid black with a foamy head so huge I worried that my bottle was infected. Aroma lets you know that this beer is going to have some heavily roasted malts. Some dirty spiced chocolate with a fresh herbaceous naturalness. Flavor carries through with earthy hop flavor to start, adding in a Wonka-worthy chocolate river underneath, though the sweetness fades before the roasted malts, leaving a bit of a bitter espresso finish. Wow! This is excellent. Just like any truly wonderful beer, the flavor continually morphs for ten seconds after you drink it. Is this the (semi-)local bottle-conditioned export stout that I have been searching for all of these years? You bet.

This one is worth the 90 minute drive up to Tully's (and the Maine Diner, of course) from my house.

03-01-2006 00:28:27 | More by waughbrew
rousee

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a very dark black color--maybe a hint of purple to it too. There is a nice 8mm head of light tan foam that slowly diminishes. These bubbles of foam look quite hungry and active which generally would indicate freshness.

Smell is of dark malts and chcolatey-raisin like scent. There is a slight vinous aspect to it also which seems to be fairly common in stouts--though generally more often in impy stouts than regaulr dry irish ones. At 6.7%abv--this is not too far off from the abv of an impy.

The taste is caramellized sugar, malt and some further chocolate hints. It also has some woodsy aspects to it. It finishes with a nice coating mouthfeel. The drinkability is quite good on a very cold day. An excellent beer for some of our coldest weather to date in this winter of 2006.

02-27-2006 22:07:18 | More by rousee
Jredner

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Aroma is full of roasted coffee notes with a tinge of cola. Deep black body with a thumb thick tan head. Fore is very creamy feeling..nice first sip. Mild tobacco notes, roasted coffee, lots of chocolate flavor. Finish is again a little tobacco/ash tinged, but it is quite complimentary and not off putting. Balances the heavy chocolate notes quite well.

02-25-2006 21:12:02 | More by Jredner
Tallboy

Antarctica

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours: A dark obsidian with a ritch and bubbly two fingered tan head with some light patches of lacing.

Scent: At first there is an overwelming scent of fresh chocolate,toffee, and caramel followed by a natural herbal scent and for the finish pure hops.

Taste: At first it is pure roasted chocolate to accent the creamy caramel and toffe. I then detected some piney hops and some type of fruit mingling magicaly with the well aged hops.

Mouthfeel: Rather too creamy at first, with a mild carbonation and full bodied with a decent aftertaste.

Drinkability: Platinum award winner here note the label. A nice change of pace from the stouts that I am realy used too.

02-15-2006 20:09:20 | More by Tallboy
battlekow

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Big chocolatey, caramelly nose on this one, albeit with an odd, slightly unpelasant yeastiness. Taste is ridiculously chocolately and smooth. Some underpinnings of roasted malt, but really surprisingly little; this could almost pass as a Scotch Ale. Slight roasted malt presence. Low carbonation yields a thick, creamy mouthfeel.

The bottle lists the judges' tasting notes from the 1995 World Beer Championships, where it took top honors in the Dry Stout category: "Absolutely stunning for its focused chocolate flavors." Damn right, absolutely stunning. Possibly the chocolatiest beer I've ever had.

Basically, it smells and tastes very sweet, but gets away with it much better in the latter. Lacks the prototypical pleasant roastedness of a Dry Stout, and I'm glad it's been recategorized on the site as an American Stout.

Thanks to jamie2dope for the bottle.

02-14-2006 02:02:20 | More by battlekow
UncleFlip

Alabama

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Dark brown with mahogany edges. Head is foamy, with medium bubbles. It leaves a wet lace behind.

Smell is very yeasty, but some hops and malt creep out under it.

Taste is rather sweet and smoky right up front. Bitterness creeps in near the end. Just a little watery.

Thick liquid is topped by a medium carbonation that hits right up front.

Not bad. Complex & hearty- but the smokiness could get a bit overpowering.

Be well
-UF

02-12-2006 04:13:29 | More by UncleFlip
meathookjones

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Solid pitch black colored body over a dark tan smallish head. Decent head retention and lacing. Great strong aroma filled with dark fruits, roasted malts and some bittersweet dark chocolate. Flavor was just as big with sweet dark ripe fruits over dark chocolate. Plenty of roasted malts and coffee as well. Dry bitter sweet finish with some staying power. Creamy smooth body with plenty of heft to it. Very drinkable and tasty stuff that would be in my regular rotation if I could get it locally.

01-18-2006 21:02:28 | More by meathookjones
HopasaurusRex

New Hampshire

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Just like a homebrew . . . a 22 ounce bottle-conditioned bomber with a thin layer of yeast on the bottom.

Nice foam flecked head atop a burnished charcoal body. French roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and black licorice exude from the nose. Full bodied and full-flavored with a lingering bitter roastiness. It's not a harsh bitterness. Understated hop presence. The slick, creamy mouthfeel hints at oats and flaked barley.

Definitely a good stout that I will drink again the next time I'm in Vacationland.

01-12-2006 00:36:25 | More by HopasaurusRex
jamie2dope

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

On a day like today when all the liquor stores are closed and all of my beer for the holidays is gone, I need something special to fall back on, which is why I decided to open one of my last bottles of the Cadillac Mountain Stout. Poured a wonderful black cool color with a tiny lace heading that stuck around modestly through it all. Smell was of nice fresh coffee, very sweet fudge, milk chocolate, and maybe even a hint of some brown unrefined sugar. The stout tasted like a big piece of chocolate cake, not too rich, that was very sweet in the beginning and gradually became slightly bitter. There was also a vague smoke character in there, making it all the more interesting and complex. Mouthfeel was pretty light, which made it very drinkable. In my humble opinion, this is one of the best stouts in the U.S, even the world (that I have tried anyway). Would go great as a dessert beer, or paired with some sweet meats. I find myself growing a little bit sad as the beer in my glass becomes less and less. On a brighter note, If you get a chance to sample this beer whether through trade or in the Bar Harbor area, you'll be delighted to find that this is a superb beer certainly worth seeking out. Cheers to the brewers for making a great beer that I will hopefully get to have again.

12-26-2005 19:31:24 | More by jamie2dope
Lnedrive14

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Special thanks to Beerpanther for lugging this bomber all the way back from Maine. His generosity will not be forgotten when I cease my existence as a poor law student and become a millionaire (or marry one).

A: Jet black impenetrable to light. Thick, creamy tan head that sticks with the beer. I get a nice Dr. Evilish type mustache when I take a sip - thankfully none on my nose however.

S: Whoa baby. A lot going on here. Roasted malts, caramel, bittersweet chocolate, maybe even something like pumpernickel bread.

T: I tend to find this to be more of a sweet/milk stout than a dry stout, but in either case, it is flat out delicious. The beer hits the palate with an significant malt presence, which quickly transforms into some kind of fruity sweetness and some hop character. The beer finishes with the chewy caramel, but it is so perfectly subtle that I dont feel the need to drink it with a piece of cake. This would go great with some asparagus and carmelized onions.

M: Great carbonation - there yet sublimely innocuous. No harshness at all. Bit of alcohol warmth which perfectly counteracts the sweetness of the brew.

D: Does this have to end? Oh wait, it does. I think i may move to Maine just to get more.

This may very well be the best beer I have ever had. It's that damn good.

12-08-2005 02:00:13 | More by Lnedrive14
twelvsies

Maine

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Ahhh, burly beer from Maine. Got this one for free from a friend, which always makes the beer taste better. Sort of... Anyway. A deep dark brown color, tan foamy head lasts quite a while. When receiving this beer it was described to me as a cross between a Scotch ale and a dry stout, which I think is a pretty dead on description. Slight smokiness in the taste which separates this beer from others in the style, and a big roasty chocolate malt backdrop. Also, some odd spicy notes, perhaps from hops, perhaps not. Either way, it's got a nice balance of spicy and sweet which comes together. Medium to full bodied yet with a lively carbonation that makes it somewhat floaty on the palate. Dunno how they keep the ABV at a modest 6.7% for such a flavorful ale. A definite side trip for this beer every time I find myself in the beautiful state of Maine. Quite the treat from Down East as they say. Ah-yuh.

12-05-2005 00:19:20 | More by twelvsies
markman

Connecticut

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

Bar Harbor Cadillac Mountain Stout:

I’ve been anticipating this jewel all the live long day…cracking the cap the dark roasted malt makes itself known in a hurry, very nice. Some mocha comes though as well along with a very easy nutty aroma. And what a beautiful sight…black as pitch and as thick-headed as they come. Mmm, the taste is full chocolate on the palate, and the roastyness comes though along with a touch of hops. Liquid silk this one is…long finish, slightly sweet, and lip-smacking good. I’m here to tall ya’, this is world-freakin’-class stuff right here.

Cheers…

12-02-2005 00:38:14 | More by markman
sudzz

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

I got a few 22 oz. bottles from my brother. He is proud UMaine Orono guy. I was suspect at first, but was won over by this stout rendition. Good mouthfeel combined with a high gravity to give it some warmth. It poured a little thin, akin to a porter, but stood up when it washed over the taste buds- definately a stout.This is a stout in a bottle that I would bring to a party so people could try a fine American example.

11-23-2005 22:31:13 | More by sudzz
Higravity

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

A dark stout with red tinged edges with a nice almost tan head that hangs out for a bit. The smell is a nice roasted slight coffeeness and a clean malt sweetness. The first sip was weird there seems to be a off metallic taste to this. It has a dry finish too. The nice burnt smokey coffee flavor come through nice but in the finish is a dry metallic taste that was not just my glass. Overall I thought it had a nice body and was very drinkable I would buy another.

11-15-2005 15:26:28 | More by Higravity
orbitalr0x

4.45/5  rDev +6%

The Caddilac Mtn. Stout pours from the bomber a deep dark onyx with a volumious bubbly creamy two finger tan head on top. So dark it appears to nearly absorb light. Leaves some sticky patches of lacing. Nice. Aromas begin with a big blast of chocolate along with a nice roasty aspect and a nice helping of herbal, piney hops as well. Toffee and caramel notes weave in and out. Burnt marshmallow? Smoky, deep, dark and roasty..there's a lot going on here...a treat for the nose.

First sip brings a rush of dark roasted chocolate maltiness. Slightly dry and smoky with a nice helping of herbally, earthy green hops. Notes of dark fruits move in and out. Toffee and caramel intertwine. Super smooth with a beautiful balance of cocoa dusted malt and hops. This is one fine stout.

Mouthfeel is creamy with a medium body and healthy carbonation. A really tasty stout that's easy to drink with a unique flavor profile. I really wish I had easier access to this as I would pick it up regularly. Many thanks to MuddyFeet and BIF20 for getting this my way. I will seek it out again if the opportunity arises.

11-10-2005 03:27:01 | More by orbitalr0x
Jacobob10

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber in which the cap came off rather easily (almost slid right off). Poured an opaque black color with almost no head to speak of. Aroma was mild but the taste wtill packed a nice punch. Lots of roasted malts, coffee and milk flavor. Mouthfeel was very slick and creamy. Very drinkable for a stout.

Judging by the ease of the cap sliding off and the lack of carbonation in the beer, I'd have to say I got a bad sample. Despite this, there were no weird flavors going on at all. I will definitely have to try this beer again...if I can get my hands on another one.

11-07-2005 13:21:15 | More by Jacobob10
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a light tan, five finger head, fades slowly and leaves a good lace. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Virtually black color. Nose is coffee. Starts with hints of chocolate and coffee, finish is smooth but a touch of bitterness. $4.79 for a 22oz bottle from Otter Creek Market Otter Creek, Me.

10-30-2005 23:05:39 | More by jdhilt
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev -10%

An easy drinking stout, but nothing spectacular. Medium to light mouthfeel, mildly creamy. Some grain and carefuly roasted so that not burned. Lightly chocolate. Nicely understated carbonation. More malted sweet than bitter, mild spice. Thanks Viggio for the fresh bottle from Maine.

10-16-2005 03:13:15 | More by Sammy
lostbearbrew

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Bomber brought back by Mom and Dad - poured into a pint glass. Dark-like-night-in-the-woods-black - light brown head hung on nicely down the glass - solid lacing patterns.

Wafting up off this brew are some fine aromas...dark chocolate, coffee, maybe some molasses or perhaps vanilla?

Warms the tongue with chocolate notes, then coffee flavors, then sweet malt finishing with a blast of tang from the hops, coupled with more malty goodness. Very rich and strong beer but the alchohol is not overwhelming. The mouthfeel is lasting, and coats your mouth's surfaces and doesn't let go.

Drinkability is simply put - more please. I like this one more than many others I've had recently...perhaps more than Stone RIS and Dark Lord, although it is not quite in that category - it is a regular American Stout and perhaps the heavy delivery of the RIS and DL shouldn't be compared...

10-03-2005 20:37:34 | More by lostbearbrew
RBorsato

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Pitch black with a nice creamy light brown head, good carbonation, and solid lace sheets. Nice roasty, hoppy, chocolate aroma with lots of bitter notes. Balanced roasty, hoppy, chocolate flavors with lots of bitterness; hop bitterness abounds (I'd love to know the IBU level). Medium-full bodied and creamy with a big dry bitter finish.

A ROBUST American "Dry" Stout; Very similar to Rogue Shakespeare...

Per Label: 1995 World Beer Championships - Platinum Medal - Dry Stout (97 out of 100 points)

Brew #: 01501 (sticker on side) (..almost 2 yrs old?..)
Tasted: 09/23/05

(22 oz)
(Mike Ryan)

09-27-2005 19:27:44 | More by RBorsato
DrJay

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

Very dark brown with deep ruby highlights and a fairly dense, light brown head. Good retention and lacing. Lots of malt in the aroma, with plenty of chocolate, sweetness, and a bit of coffee. There's also a light fruit and hop character. Wonderful flavour, a combination of sweet maltiness, bittersweet chocolate, and fresh hops coming together very well over moderate bitterness that builds a bit towards the end. The roasted malts aren't sharp at all and there's a bit of lactose sweetness that really ties things together. It finishes very balanced, with a bit of coffee. Rich, creamy texture, especially as it warms, with a bit of dryness at the finish from the dark malts. Full, round body. Moderate carbonation is very well integrated and soft. An exceptional stout that I could drink all night. Thanks for the pick-up Viggo.

09-27-2005 00:33:42 | More by DrJay
warriorsoul

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Received a few of these thanks to fellow BA Truh...the man knows a great beer.
Pours a deep, dark black w/ no possibility of any light passing through...a full finger and a half of light brown head with a gentle pour. Hangs around for quite a bit and the lacing is impressive.
Aroma is great...dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and some hops as well.
Taste is where this offering really shines...more of the same in the taste with a hefty malt sweetness thrown in. The alcohol is so well hidden and the finish is bitter yet juicy.
Mouthfeel is quite thick...drinkability is a no-brainer. If you even remotely care for this style, you must get your hands on this one...one of the best IMO...thanks again Sean.

09-25-2005 22:18:41 | More by warriorsoul