Cadillac Mountain Stout - Bar Harbor Brewing Company

Bar Harbor Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-10-2002

A full-bodied stout with focused chocolate flavors and plenty of hops and malt, Cadillac Mtn. Stout was selected World Champion Dry Stout 1995 and the best hard-to-find beer in America by Men’s Journal.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cadillac Mountain Stout Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I tried this beer this past summer when visiting Bar Harbor, but it was one of the most delicious beers I have had. Dark color and tan head, smelled terrific, tasted beautiful with a full mouthful. Did I mention it’s one of my favorites? BHBC has produced some amazing beers, and this is no exception.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Cadillac Mountain Stout

Appearance- Black with a thick tan head.
Smell- dark roast coffe beans with bitter cocoa powder.
Taste- strong bitter dark chocolate blended with dark roast coffee.
Mouthfeel- Very smooth with a solid flavor throughout.

Overall- A delicious stout that tasted even better on the second glass. This would be a "must" during the winter in Maine!!!
1 of the best Stout's I ever drank!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried this beer while on vacation in Maine. I visited the brewery which is run by a husband and wife and that is all except for a college student helper in the summertime. Nice people and probalby my favorite stout if not top 3 for sure. Too bad i can't get it in PA.

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Figured I’d re-rate this for old-time’s sake and since I’ve tried so many more beers since, and I know what I’m doing a little better what I’m doing now than I did a year ago (though some may argue otherwise). Black opaque body withi initially thick, slow to dissipate tan head. Smells sweet, chocolaty or coffee (I can’t decide), with hints of hops and yeast. Tastes initially sweet and roasty, but has a hoppy aftertaste. A very good stout, but would be better if the hop bitterness weren’t quite so pronounced. Still very good. Glad I got it again, I’m more impressed this time. If I were smart, I’d go to the coast and get it on tap...

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

A buddy of mine brought this back from vacation in Wells. $4.50 at Tully's. For that price, amazing! What a great birthday day beer this should turn out to be...

A: Pours a jet black color with a one finger silky smooth pillow like caramel colored head. Excellent retention on this one.
S: Roasted chocolate malt notes. Smells very smooth and soft (if you can comprehend that).
T/M: Wow! Excellent. Sweet, but not too sweet. Dry, but not too dry. Thick, but not too thick. Roasted chocolate malt comes through nicely, with a little bit of coffee and toffee in there also. Dark fruityness is noticeable after a couple of sips and when you take a couple break--mostly after it warms for a couple of minutes. Sweet chocolate aftertaste begins after a dry finish. Silky smooth. One of the most silky beers I've ever tasted. Mouthfeel is phenomenal. Medium body, which is amazing because it starts out pretty thick.
D: Hands down the best stout I've ever had. Mouthfeel is right on. Nothing too pronounced or thin, just about right on. Best to let this one sit out for about 10 or so as it just gets better and better as it warms up.

If I could get this on a regular basis, it would be my go to stout, especially at that price. Amazing. Two exaggerated thumbs up to Bar Harbor.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Sampled at a tasting at Bar Harbor Brewery, and subsequently sampled in force later on by bottle.

I can understand why this beer has gotten some good publicity. It has a very even taste to it, highlighted by hints of chocolate and roasted malts that give it a sweetly smoky taste.

It pours with a nice, light brown foamy head, and it has a deep, dark amber/brown color. Right after the pour, the chocolate aroma is present. It feels vaguely creamy, but not nearly as heavy as other stouts.

Overall, it is highly recommended if you can get a hold of it. I thought it is nicely balanced and very drinkable. I really like how the roasted, smoky tastes of the malt complimented the sweetness beer. I think "balance" in all areas, flavors, mouthfeel, and smell is a good way to describe it. A well-rounded beer.

Top-notch effort from a cool microbrewery.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So happy to have discovered this in NJ, then enjoyed soon after in Maine where it's from. Now back in NJ and ready to review with a glass right in front of me. Pours out a dark mahogony brown, nearly black with a coffee ice cream colored head. There are lots of things going on inthe nose, coffee, chocolate, yeast, even a little hops, but no mistaking richly roasted malt. You get all the same in the taste, but it develops one after the other, wonderful! The moutfeel keeps alternating back and forth between effervescent bite, and silky, creamy smoothness. It finishes a little dark, more coffee here, but extremely drinkable for a stout.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The pour of this beer is amazing. Dark as crud, with tan head that never quits. Lacing is thick.

Aroma is malty, with roasted smells, chocolate, coffee, some metallic esters.

The taste is o so ssssmoooth. Chocolate leads way to roasted coffee. The taste also stays with you and moves to a bit of chocolate bitterness on the back of the throat.

The smoothness makes this very drinkable for such a complex brew.

Wow

Cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a very dark black with a frothy tan head.

Smell: Caramel molasses and raisin fill the nose.

Taste: This beer is complex and vinous. Layer by layer it peeled away a new flavor sweet and smooth the bitter sweet chocolate and coffee bean then the vanilla and molasses and then the finish has a nice hop presence. Beautiful!

Mouthfeel: Creamy & smooth. So incredibly smooth.

Drinkability: There is a reason this should be one of the highest ranked stouts; because it is freaking good! I could very easily session this beer despite the 6.70% ABV.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to mdavis31481 for helping me knock another top 100 beer off of my list.

Appearance: Ebony body, gigantic tan head, bubbles cling to the glass. The head is a slow fader, leaving a little lace.

Smell: Lots of sweet chocolate to enjoy, coffee is there, so is a sweet cream smell, but the chocolate really defines the smell. I have had chocolate cake that doesn't smell this good.

Taste: Balanced and highly drinkable. Chocolate is bitter and sweet, like a wonderful piece of gourmet chocolate. Taste ends with a small alcohol warmth, very nice.

Drinkability: Mouthfeel is a little thin, but this is a very solidly crafted stout, up there with the tops in style.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

A dark brown/black beer with deep mahogony highlights. Has a bis foamy brown head. There is a deep roasted malt character to the aroma with some molasess and hints of vanilla in the background. There are also some coffee notes as the glass warms. The taste starts out like a milk stout , nice and sweet on the tip of your tongue. Then the roasted malt bitterness builds as it heads to the back of your mouth. With some coffee notes mixed in with the burnt grain notes. A slight tickle from some hops on the finish and a hint of vanilla in the bacground.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an outstanding beer.

The beer pours like your typical stout in appearance. Black as night with a light head. The smell is of toffee and some hops.

The taste is pretty amazing. There are burnt flavors, cream, toffee, and chocolate. Lots of sweet, milk flavors. Almost more like a sweet stout than a dry stout. There are some hops to balance things out at the end.

The mouthfeel is pretty great. It is smooth and creamy. The drinkability is very high. At less than $4 a bottle when I visit Maine, I make it a point to stock up. One of the best stouts out there.

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%

I bought this at Tully's in Wells Me. and I couldn't wait to open it. This beer pours a jet black with a huge tan foamy head. This is what a beer should look like ! The smell,however, was alot lighter than I expected. I could only smell a slight hint of coffee and roasted malt. The taste is full of roasted malt,coffee, and mostly chocolate. The m/f is medium with all the flavors mixing very well. This is a very good stout that should not be missed. I wish I bought a few more bottles.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Not a style I go for all that often, but since we were cracking open a bomber we had purchased back in Feb, I said David pour me a glass too. Dark and opaque, I've been sitting outside reading and admiring the lovely golden sheen of the crema style head on top. Aroma is a bit reserved, but some deep whiffs reveal chocolate notes, and even some interesting metallic bits. Small not overly sharp carbonation. Medium, slightly sticky body. Tastewise, a nice 55% chocolate eaten with a cup of rich roastey coffee with ultimate note being the roast. It's not a big in your face kind of brew, which I don't mind, the abv and not over powering in your faceness makes it easy to enjoy. Good stuff.

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

22 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

deep brown, near black, with an inch of foamy tan head that leaves little lace. some dark purple mahogany peeks through against the light.

rich, sweet aroma of dark fruits, powdery chocolate, and fortified red wine. the slightest hint of coffee.

flavor and mouthfeel both lighter than expected, especially for a stout. medium-high carbonation. bitterness of coffee and roasted malts and a touch of chocolate sweetness. finishes very clean with a slight hop bite. easy drinking, pleasant and nicely fragrant.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

This beer was a nice black color with a thick coffee head, served in a snifter and just a little chilled. It had a dark chocolate odor. I could taste chocolate, roasted grain , and I think even some licorice. A great tasting beer. I thought it felt a trifle thin in the mouth, I guess I was expecting something a little more substantial. However, a great beer overall.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

thanks erik for sharing. this review is a long time coming, like a dusty treasure found in the annals of my reviewing paperwork.

pours a solid, nocturnal brown with a bulbous, khaki head of corrosive bubble-off foam. the mug looks like a blow off bucket situated under a stout fermenter in some hayseed brewery. smells very hoppy and earthy with a sour dominance of aggressively english yeast. airy bubbles pop in my moustache hairs as i drink this light elixir, whose body is ethereal and barely existent.. this would be bad, but the flavor is so big. could this be the most drinkable stout ever?

tastewise, CMS starts out with a milk chocolate syrup creaminess with pronounced malt sweets. nutty and clean, this beer continues to a hop crest. the finish is all about a lower-middle presence of green buds. chocolate transitions to sweet red fruits and the slight bitterness of nectarine rinds with effortless ease.the palate is left dry with some crystalline botanicals, but no overwhelming bitterness. this is a sweet beer with medium roastiness. african coffee bean presence comes out with warmth, fruity in that dark roasty way.

what a great freakin stout. world class, and one of the few so which can be classified as american session brews.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

I am sampling this courtesy of Muddyfeet (I think). The beer is poured at room temp into a snifter. The a creamy tan head foams up relentlessly with a gentle pour. the head fades gradually and leaves some sticky rings on the glass as it recedes.
Aroma is a mix of chocolate, roasted malt, some almond nut, a bit of coffee bean and just a bit of dark fruit. Quite a nice mix on the nose.
The first sip reveals a silky smooth beer with very fine yet tingly carbonation that tickles my palate on each sip.
Flavor is similar to nose, yet I find myself focusing on a different aspect with each sip. One sip is very roasty and the next is more chocolate, then more coffee, and then a strong Mr.Goodbar presence. Quite interesting and keeps me on my toes. I think the beer is very well balanced and causes the mix of flavors to change from sip to sip.
There is not a hint of alcohol or hops that I can detect. Very easy to drink this beer and I finish the bomber in 25 mintues or so. I do notice the alcohol just a bit at the end of the last snifter full.
this is a great stout and you should try it if you find it!

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

"It is said, that at some times of the year, the sun touches the slopes of Cadillac Mountain before any other place in the United States."

-Acadia National Park website

The sun is, however, unable to penetrate the murky depths of Bar Harbor Cadillac Mountain Stout. Glossy sable with red-bronze highlights peeking through the bottom edge of the glass. The head is on the large side due to what appears to be, at the moment at least, a generous amount of carbonation. The loud 'pffft' should have been a tipoff, but I still had to give the cap a well-timed slurp to prevent overflow. The foam is toasted tan in color and is airier than I like on my stouts. It's the sort of unsticky head that is unlikely to leave much lace... and doesn't.

The nose is a good one. There's nothing here that's surprising or that really stands out, just a mouth-wateringly good American stout aroma. It smells of vanilla-laced bittersweet chocolate, like a thick, chewy brownie swimming in melted vanilla bean ice cream. No molasses, anise, smoke or any of the other scents commonly attributed to the Double or Imperial stout styles. It's simple, but in a good way.

There's more flavor complexity on the palate than aroma complexity in the nose. Either that or my tastebuds are more refined than my olfactory lobe. Unfortunately, it isn't the stoutest stout going (more on that below). It's still overwhelmingly chocolate-like. Coffee with cream elbows its way into the flavor profile as well and may even become 'numero uno' as the beer approaches room temperature. Vanilla is still present, but not abundantly so.

There's a near perfect mix of flavor sensations (sweet, bitter and sour). That will be a good thing for some and not such a good thing for others. Since I like balance in my (non-subtyped) stouts, I'm fine with it. As is usually the case, bitterness reigns late in the mouthful and after the swallow. I can't decide if the hoppiness is citric or floral. It's both really, probably favoring the former.

As I'd feared, the initially vigorous amount of carbonation hasn't settled down nearly enough. That, coupled with a body that is at least as much porter as it is stout, results in a mouthfeel that can only be described as disappointing. Breaking news: the bubbles are finally calming themselves and the body is firming up just enough by the time I enter the bottom half of the bottle to earn a tentative thumbs up.

Cadillac Mountain Stout isn't the world-beater that I expected, but it is a very good version of a 'just plain ol' stout, a style that is too often ignored. Assuming a little better quality control with regard to carbonation, I can see how it earned the accolades that are so proudly displayed on the label. I'd like to thank MuddyFeet for sending the bomber my way.

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Well, I poured this one wrong, I have an inch of beer and five of head. When the head finally recedes I make my second attempt and get what I am looking for a nice pure black wiht inch walnut head. First off the one has a good amount of carbonation in the mouthfeel and taste is a sweet and roasted all in one. As this one warms the drinkability factor jumps tremendously. I'm glad I took the trip to Portland to pick up this winner and the price is more than right grabbing four of these for less than $20.

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Its got that bite....that good kind of bite. But it's smooth at the same time.

Solid black with a foamy head so huge I worried that my bottle was infected. Aroma lets you know that this beer is going to have some heavily roasted malts. Some dirty spiced chocolate with a fresh herbaceous naturalness. Flavor carries through with earthy hop flavor to start, adding in a Wonka-worthy chocolate river underneath, though the sweetness fades before the roasted malts, leaving a bit of a bitter espresso finish. Wow! This is excellent. Just like any truly wonderful beer, the flavor continually morphs for ten seconds after you drink it. Is this the (semi-)local bottle-conditioned export stout that I have been searching for all of these years? You bet.

This one is worth the 90 minute drive up to Tully's (and the Maine Diner, of course) from my house.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark black color--maybe a hint of purple to it too. There is a nice 8mm head of light tan foam that slowly diminishes. These bubbles of foam look quite hungry and active which generally would indicate freshness.

Smell is of dark malts and chcolatey-raisin like scent. There is a slight vinous aspect to it also which seems to be fairly common in stouts--though generally more often in impy stouts than regaulr dry irish ones. At 6.7%abv--this is not too far off from the abv of an impy.

The taste is caramellized sugar, malt and some further chocolate hints. It also has some woodsy aspects to it. It finishes with a nice coating mouthfeel. The drinkability is quite good on a very cold day. An excellent beer for some of our coldest weather to date in this winter of 2006.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Aroma is full of roasted coffee notes with a tinge of cola. Deep black body with a thumb thick tan head. Fore is very creamy feeling..nice first sip. Mild tobacco notes, roasted coffee, lots of chocolate flavor. Finish is again a little tobacco/ash tinged, but it is quite complimentary and not off putting. Balances the heavy chocolate notes quite well.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours: A dark obsidian with a ritch and bubbly two fingered tan head with some light patches of lacing.

Scent: At first there is an overwelming scent of fresh chocolate,toffee, and caramel followed by a natural herbal scent and for the finish pure hops.

Taste: At first it is pure roasted chocolate to accent the creamy caramel and toffe. I then detected some piney hops and some type of fruit mingling magicaly with the well aged hops.

Mouthfeel: Rather too creamy at first, with a mild carbonation and full bodied with a decent aftertaste.

Drinkability: Platinum award winner here note the label. A nice change of pace from the stouts that I am realy used too.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Big chocolatey, caramelly nose on this one, albeit with an odd, slightly unpelasant yeastiness. Taste is ridiculously chocolately and smooth. Some underpinnings of roasted malt, but really surprisingly little; this could almost pass as a Scotch Ale. Slight roasted malt presence. Low carbonation yields a thick, creamy mouthfeel.

The bottle lists the judges' tasting notes from the 1995 World Beer Championships, where it took top honors in the Dry Stout category: "Absolutely stunning for its focused chocolate flavors." Damn right, absolutely stunning. Possibly the chocolatiest beer I've ever had.

Basically, it smells and tastes very sweet, but gets away with it much better in the latter. Lacks the prototypical pleasant roastedness of a Dry Stout, and I'm glad it's been recategorized on the site as an American Stout.

Thanks to jamie2dope for the bottle.

Cadillac Mountain Stout from Bar Harbor Brewing Company