Cadillac Mountain Stout - Bar Harbor Brewing Company

Cadillac Mountain StoutCadillac Mountain Stout

Bar Harbor Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  6.70% ABV

A full-bodied stout with focused chocolate flavors and plenty of hops and malt, Cadillac Mtn. Stout was selected World Champion Dry Stout 1995 and the best hard-to-find beer in America by Men’s Journal.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-10-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cadillac Mountain Stout Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to mdavis31481 for helping me knock another top 100 beer off of my list.

Appearance: Ebony body, gigantic tan head, bubbles cling to the glass. The head is a slow fader, leaving a little lace.

Smell: Lots of sweet chocolate to enjoy, coffee is there, so is a sweet cream smell, but the chocolate really defines the smell. I have had chocolate cake that doesn't smell this good.

Taste: Balanced and highly drinkable. Chocolate is bitter and sweet, like a wonderful piece of gourmet chocolate. Taste ends with a small alcohol warmth, very nice.

Drinkability: Mouthfeel is a little thin, but this is a very solidly crafted stout, up there with the tops in style.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A dark brown/black beer with deep mahogony highlights. Has a bis foamy brown head. There is a deep roasted malt character to the aroma with some molasess and hints of vanilla in the background. There are also some coffee notes as the glass warms. The taste starts out like a milk stout , nice and sweet on the tip of your tongue. Then the roasted malt bitterness builds as it heads to the back of your mouth. With some coffee notes mixed in with the burnt grain notes. A slight tickle from some hops on the finish and a hint of vanilla in the bacground.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an outstanding beer.

The beer pours like your typical stout in appearance. Black as night with a light head. The smell is of toffee and some hops.

The taste is pretty amazing. There are burnt flavors, cream, toffee, and chocolate. Lots of sweet, milk flavors. Almost more like a sweet stout than a dry stout. There are some hops to balance things out at the end.

The mouthfeel is pretty great. It is smooth and creamy. The drinkability is very high. At less than $4 a bottle when I visit Maine, I make it a point to stock up. One of the best stouts out there.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

I bought this at Tully's in Wells Me. and I couldn't wait to open it. This beer pours a jet black with a huge tan foamy head. This is what a beer should look like ! The smell,however, was alot lighter than I expected. I could only smell a slight hint of coffee and roasted malt. The taste is full of roasted malt,coffee, and mostly chocolate. The m/f is medium with all the flavors mixing very well. This is a very good stout that should not be missed. I wish I bought a few more bottles.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Not a style I go for all that often, but since we were cracking open a bomber we had purchased back in Feb, I said David pour me a glass too. Dark and opaque, I've been sitting outside reading and admiring the lovely golden sheen of the crema style head on top. Aroma is a bit reserved, but some deep whiffs reveal chocolate notes, and even some interesting metallic bits. Small not overly sharp carbonation. Medium, slightly sticky body. Tastewise, a nice 55% chocolate eaten with a cup of rich roastey coffee with ultimate note being the roast. It's not a big in your face kind of brew, which I don't mind, the abv and not over powering in your faceness makes it easy to enjoy. Good stuff.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

22 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

deep brown, near black, with an inch of foamy tan head that leaves little lace. some dark purple mahogany peeks through against the light.

rich, sweet aroma of dark fruits, powdery chocolate, and fortified red wine. the slightest hint of coffee.

flavor and mouthfeel both lighter than expected, especially for a stout. medium-high carbonation. bitterness of coffee and roasted malts and a touch of chocolate sweetness. finishes very clean with a slight hop bite. easy drinking, pleasant and nicely fragrant.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

This beer was a nice black color with a thick coffee head, served in a snifter and just a little chilled. It had a dark chocolate odor. I could taste chocolate, roasted grain , and I think even some licorice. A great tasting beer. I thought it felt a trifle thin in the mouth, I guess I was expecting something a little more substantial. However, a great beer overall.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

thanks erik for sharing. this review is a long time coming, like a dusty treasure found in the annals of my reviewing paperwork.

pours a solid, nocturnal brown with a bulbous, khaki head of corrosive bubble-off foam. the mug looks like a blow off bucket situated under a stout fermenter in some hayseed brewery. smells very hoppy and earthy with a sour dominance of aggressively english yeast. airy bubbles pop in my moustache hairs as i drink this light elixir, whose body is ethereal and barely existent.. this would be bad, but the flavor is so big. could this be the most drinkable stout ever?

tastewise, CMS starts out with a milk chocolate syrup creaminess with pronounced malt sweets. nutty and clean, this beer continues to a hop crest. the finish is all about a lower-middle presence of green buds. chocolate transitions to sweet red fruits and the slight bitterness of nectarine rinds with effortless ease.the palate is left dry with some crystalline botanicals, but no overwhelming bitterness. this is a sweet beer with medium roastiness. african coffee bean presence comes out with warmth, fruity in that dark roasty way.

what a great freakin stout. world class, and one of the few so which can be classified as american session brews.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

I am sampling this courtesy of Muddyfeet (I think). The beer is poured at room temp into a snifter. The a creamy tan head foams up relentlessly with a gentle pour. the head fades gradually and leaves some sticky rings on the glass as it recedes.
Aroma is a mix of chocolate, roasted malt, some almond nut, a bit of coffee bean and just a bit of dark fruit. Quite a nice mix on the nose.
The first sip reveals a silky smooth beer with very fine yet tingly carbonation that tickles my palate on each sip.
Flavor is similar to nose, yet I find myself focusing on a different aspect with each sip. One sip is very roasty and the next is more chocolate, then more coffee, and then a strong Mr.Goodbar presence. Quite interesting and keeps me on my toes. I think the beer is very well balanced and causes the mix of flavors to change from sip to sip.
There is not a hint of alcohol or hops that I can detect. Very easy to drink this beer and I finish the bomber in 25 mintues or so. I do notice the alcohol just a bit at the end of the last snifter full.
this is a great stout and you should try it if you find it!

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

"It is said, that at some times of the year, the sun touches the slopes of Cadillac Mountain before any other place in the United States."

-Acadia National Park website

The sun is, however, unable to penetrate the murky depths of Bar Harbor Cadillac Mountain Stout. Glossy sable with red-bronze highlights peeking through the bottom edge of the glass. The head is on the large side due to what appears to be, at the moment at least, a generous amount of carbonation. The loud 'pffft' should have been a tipoff, but I still had to give the cap a well-timed slurp to prevent overflow. The foam is toasted tan in color and is airier than I like on my stouts. It's the sort of unsticky head that is unlikely to leave much lace... and doesn't.

The nose is a good one. There's nothing here that's surprising or that really stands out, just a mouth-wateringly good American stout aroma. It smells of vanilla-laced bittersweet chocolate, like a thick, chewy brownie swimming in melted vanilla bean ice cream. No molasses, anise, smoke or any of the other scents commonly attributed to the Double or Imperial stout styles. It's simple, but in a good way.

There's more flavor complexity on the palate than aroma complexity in the nose. Either that or my tastebuds are more refined than my olfactory lobe. Unfortunately, it isn't the stoutest stout going (more on that below). It's still overwhelmingly chocolate-like. Coffee with cream elbows its way into the flavor profile as well and may even become 'numero uno' as the beer approaches room temperature. Vanilla is still present, but not abundantly so.

There's a near perfect mix of flavor sensations (sweet, bitter and sour). That will be a good thing for some and not such a good thing for others. Since I like balance in my (non-subtyped) stouts, I'm fine with it. As is usually the case, bitterness reigns late in the mouthful and after the swallow. I can't decide if the hoppiness is citric or floral. It's both really, probably favoring the former.

As I'd feared, the initially vigorous amount of carbonation hasn't settled down nearly enough. That, coupled with a body that is at least as much porter as it is stout, results in a mouthfeel that can only be described as disappointing. Breaking news: the bubbles are finally calming themselves and the body is firming up just enough by the time I enter the bottom half of the bottle to earn a tentative thumbs up.

Cadillac Mountain Stout isn't the world-beater that I expected, but it is a very good version of a 'just plain ol' stout, a style that is too often ignored. Assuming a little better quality control with regard to carbonation, I can see how it earned the accolades that are so proudly displayed on the label. I'd like to thank MuddyFeet for sending the bomber my way.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Well, I poured this one wrong, I have an inch of beer and five of head. When the head finally recedes I make my second attempt and get what I am looking for a nice pure black wiht inch walnut head. First off the one has a good amount of carbonation in the mouthfeel and taste is a sweet and roasted all in one. As this one warms the drinkability factor jumps tremendously. I'm glad I took the trip to Portland to pick up this winner and the price is more than right grabbing four of these for less than $20.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Its got that bite....that good kind of bite. But it's smooth at the same time.

Solid black with a foamy head so huge I worried that my bottle was infected. Aroma lets you know that this beer is going to have some heavily roasted malts. Some dirty spiced chocolate with a fresh herbaceous naturalness. Flavor carries through with earthy hop flavor to start, adding in a Wonka-worthy chocolate river underneath, though the sweetness fades before the roasted malts, leaving a bit of a bitter espresso finish. Wow! This is excellent. Just like any truly wonderful beer, the flavor continually morphs for ten seconds after you drink it. Is this the (semi-)local bottle-conditioned export stout that I have been searching for all of these years? You bet.

This one is worth the 90 minute drive up to Tully's (and the Maine Diner, of course) from my house.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark black color--maybe a hint of purple to it too. There is a nice 8mm head of light tan foam that slowly diminishes. These bubbles of foam look quite hungry and active which generally would indicate freshness.

Smell is of dark malts and chcolatey-raisin like scent. There is a slight vinous aspect to it also which seems to be fairly common in stouts--though generally more often in impy stouts than regaulr dry irish ones. At 6.7%abv--this is not too far off from the abv of an impy.

The taste is caramellized sugar, malt and some further chocolate hints. It also has some woodsy aspects to it. It finishes with a nice coating mouthfeel. The drinkability is quite good on a very cold day. An excellent beer for some of our coldest weather to date in this winter of 2006.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Aroma is full of roasted coffee notes with a tinge of cola. Deep black body with a thumb thick tan head. Fore is very creamy feeling..nice first sip. Mild tobacco notes, roasted coffee, lots of chocolate flavor. Finish is again a little tobacco/ash tinged, but it is quite complimentary and not off putting. Balances the heavy chocolate notes quite well.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours: A dark obsidian with a ritch and bubbly two fingered tan head with some light patches of lacing.

Scent: At first there is an overwelming scent of fresh chocolate,toffee, and caramel followed by a natural herbal scent and for the finish pure hops.

Taste: At first it is pure roasted chocolate to accent the creamy caramel and toffe. I then detected some piney hops and some type of fruit mingling magicaly with the well aged hops.

Mouthfeel: Rather too creamy at first, with a mild carbonation and full bodied with a decent aftertaste.

Drinkability: Platinum award winner here note the label. A nice change of pace from the stouts that I am realy used too.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Big chocolatey, caramelly nose on this one, albeit with an odd, slightly unpelasant yeastiness. Taste is ridiculously chocolately and smooth. Some underpinnings of roasted malt, but really surprisingly little; this could almost pass as a Scotch Ale. Slight roasted malt presence. Low carbonation yields a thick, creamy mouthfeel.

The bottle lists the judges' tasting notes from the 1995 World Beer Championships, where it took top honors in the Dry Stout category: "Absolutely stunning for its focused chocolate flavors." Damn right, absolutely stunning. Possibly the chocolatiest beer I've ever had.

Basically, it smells and tastes very sweet, but gets away with it much better in the latter. Lacks the prototypical pleasant roastedness of a Dry Stout, and I'm glad it's been recategorized on the site as an American Stout.

Thanks to jamie2dope for the bottle.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Dark brown with mahogany edges. Head is foamy, with medium bubbles. It leaves a wet lace behind.

Smell is very yeasty, but some hops and malt creep out under it.

Taste is rather sweet and smoky right up front. Bitterness creeps in near the end. Just a little watery.

Thick liquid is topped by a medium carbonation that hits right up front.

Not bad. Complex & hearty- but the smokiness could get a bit overpowering.

Be well
-UF

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Solid pitch black colored body over a dark tan smallish head. Decent head retention and lacing. Great strong aroma filled with dark fruits, roasted malts and some bittersweet dark chocolate. Flavor was just as big with sweet dark ripe fruits over dark chocolate. Plenty of roasted malts and coffee as well. Dry bitter sweet finish with some staying power. Creamy smooth body with plenty of heft to it. Very drinkable and tasty stuff that would be in my regular rotation if I could get it locally.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Just like a homebrew . . . a 22 ounce bottle-conditioned bomber with a thin layer of yeast on the bottom.

Nice foam flecked head atop a burnished charcoal body. French roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and black licorice exude from the nose. Full bodied and full-flavored with a lingering bitter roastiness. It's not a harsh bitterness. Understated hop presence. The slick, creamy mouthfeel hints at oats and flaked barley.

Definitely a good stout that I will drink again the next time I'm in Vacationland.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

On a day like today when all the liquor stores are closed and all of my beer for the holidays is gone, I need something special to fall back on, which is why I decided to open one of my last bottles of the Cadillac Mountain Stout. Poured a wonderful black cool color with a tiny lace heading that stuck around modestly through it all. Smell was of nice fresh coffee, very sweet fudge, milk chocolate, and maybe even a hint of some brown unrefined sugar. The stout tasted like a big piece of chocolate cake, not too rich, that was very sweet in the beginning and gradually became slightly bitter. There was also a vague smoke character in there, making it all the more interesting and complex. Mouthfeel was pretty light, which made it very drinkable. In my humble opinion, this is one of the best stouts in the U.S, even the world (that I have tried anyway). Would go great as a dessert beer, or paired with some sweet meats. I find myself growing a little bit sad as the beer in my glass becomes less and less. On a brighter note, If you get a chance to sample this beer whether through trade or in the Bar Harbor area, you'll be delighted to find that this is a superb beer certainly worth seeking out. Cheers to the brewers for making a great beer that I will hopefully get to have again.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Special thanks to Beerpanther for lugging this bomber all the way back from Maine. His generosity will not be forgotten when I cease my existence as a poor law student and become a millionaire (or marry one).

A: Jet black impenetrable to light. Thick, creamy tan head that sticks with the beer. I get a nice Dr. Evilish type mustache when I take a sip - thankfully none on my nose however.

S: Whoa baby. A lot going on here. Roasted malts, caramel, bittersweet chocolate, maybe even something like pumpernickel bread.

T: I tend to find this to be more of a sweet/milk stout than a dry stout, but in either case, it is flat out delicious. The beer hits the palate with an significant malt presence, which quickly transforms into some kind of fruity sweetness and some hop character. The beer finishes with the chewy caramel, but it is so perfectly subtle that I dont feel the need to drink it with a piece of cake. This would go great with some asparagus and carmelized onions.

M: Great carbonation - there yet sublimely innocuous. No harshness at all. Bit of alcohol warmth which perfectly counteracts the sweetness of the brew.

D: Does this have to end? Oh wait, it does. I think i may move to Maine just to get more.

This may very well be the best beer I have ever had. It's that damn good.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Ahhh, burly beer from Maine. Got this one for free from a friend, which always makes the beer taste better. Sort of... Anyway. A deep dark brown color, tan foamy head lasts quite a while. When receiving this beer it was described to me as a cross between a Scotch ale and a dry stout, which I think is a pretty dead on description. Slight smokiness in the taste which separates this beer from others in the style, and a big roasty chocolate malt backdrop. Also, some odd spicy notes, perhaps from hops, perhaps not. Either way, it's got a nice balance of spicy and sweet which comes together. Medium to full bodied yet with a lively carbonation that makes it somewhat floaty on the palate. Dunno how they keep the ABV at a modest 6.7% for such a flavorful ale. A definite side trip for this beer every time I find myself in the beautiful state of Maine. Quite the treat from Down East as they say. Ah-yuh.

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

Bar Harbor Cadillac Mountain Stout:

I’ve been anticipating this jewel all the live long day…cracking the cap the dark roasted malt makes itself known in a hurry, very nice. Some mocha comes though as well along with a very easy nutty aroma. And what a beautiful sight…black as pitch and as thick-headed as they come. Mmm, the taste is full chocolate on the palate, and the roastyness comes though along with a touch of hops. Liquid silk this one is…long finish, slightly sweet, and lip-smacking good. I’m here to tall ya’, this is world-freakin’-class stuff right here.

Cheers…

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

I got a few 22 oz. bottles from my brother. He is proud UMaine Orono guy. I was suspect at first, but was won over by this stout rendition. Good mouthfeel combined with a high gravity to give it some warmth. It poured a little thin, akin to a porter, but stood up when it washed over the taste buds- definately a stout.This is a stout in a bottle that I would bring to a party so people could try a fine American example.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

A dark stout with red tinged edges with a nice almost tan head that hangs out for a bit. The smell is a nice roasted slight coffeeness and a clean malt sweetness. The first sip was weird there seems to be a off metallic taste to this. It has a dry finish too. The nice burnt smokey coffee flavor come through nice but in the finish is a dry metallic taste that was not just my glass. Overall I thought it had a nice body and was very drinkable I would buy another.

Cadillac Mountain Stout from Bar Harbor Brewing Company