Listermann Wild Mild - Listermann Brewing Supply & Mfg

Listermann Wild MildListermann Wild Mild

Listermann Brewing Supply & Mfg visit their website
Ohio, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 11-25-2008)
Reviews by JoeMayo:
3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

A- Pours a dark brown with amber at the edges. A gigantic tan head forms, but quickly recedes to a thin sheet of foam, leaving a couple splotches of lacing down the glass.

S- Very complex in the nose. Belgian spices come through as well as yeasty, bready notes. Faint herbal notes come through as well as warming toasted malts.

T- I think this beer is trying to be a stout judging by the taste. Its very subtle, but toasty, warming, bready, malty and has very mild cocoa hints.

M- Very thin, but effervescent and liveley with a slightly nutty texture.

D- Very light and drinkable

JoeMayo, Dec 31, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -1%

Poured a cloudy dark brown, what little head there was left thick lines along the sides. The smell is subtle, I really had to dig my nose down into the glass but I get a hint of roasted malt.

No discernable alcohol taste and none listed so I'll have to ask when I go back to buy my homebrew supplies. Very hard to rate, I like the flavor and the subtle sour aftertaste. Roasted Malt aftertaste also peaks through the sour. All the flavors are so subtle. At $3.50 a bomber this is reasonable, I hope they distribute to some bars soon.

degerbah, May 27, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

A big thanks goes out to wonderful BA who sent me this one as an extra. I have visited this place on my last trip through Ohio, but they were not yet bottling their own brew. So it was nice to see that they had taken this one finally. Served this one cold, out of the fridge and poured into a proper English pint glass. This was consumed on 11/12/2008.

The pour was very, very nice. Rich dark caramel brown color with a huge head of white foam on the top. Reaching a height of around tow inches it stayed there for a good long time before finally settling down into a fluffy white pillow across the top for the remainder of the session. Nice carbonation could be seen throughout the glass and a small amount of sediment sitting on the bottom.

The aroma was rather interesting. Light pepper like notes were the first thing I picked up on. Nice mix of caramel malts and a touch of light grains. Some pear notes maybe coming through now in the yeast, but otherwise, a straightforward mild ale. The flavor thought was quite nice. Rich, and very smooth. Nice carbonation here and a great roasted malt and caramel like note to it that really worked very well. Light spices shining through now in the finish as the whole thing wraps up quite nicely. Smooth and delicate carbonation was the icing on the cake of this mellow, easily session able ale.

Overall I was very impressed with this one. It is hard to pull of a mild ale, there is no room for error here, and I think they did this very, very well. I would have no issue at all with having this again and if it is any indication on their plans, it will be a great addition to the area brewing scene.

mikesgroove, Nov 25, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

A Big thanks to CMitchell for this one.

L: Pours a nice dark amber brown with red tints to it. Nice medium sized and medium bodied off-white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet toasted and some darker roasted malts mainly. A hint of hops at the end.
T: Very tastey, easy drinking brew. Toasted and roasted malts give way to a nice slightly earthy/floral hop flavor that ever so slightly rounds out the flavor very well.
M: Very crisp, easy-drinking, light feeling, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very good, this is an easy drinking one with the right amount of flavors. I liked it a lot!

erosier, Aug 16, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: This brew pours a nice deep malty amber brown. Head is plentiful and carbonation is also plentiful. Lacings are not apparent, but there is some foam/glass retention. Surface spiderwebbing present.

Smell: The aroma is a little flat. Maybe a slight funk. I was a little disappointed in this considering that Listermann's other selection is quite excellent all around.

Taste: The flavor curve hits early with a nice taper. Onset is characterized a coffe and roast...perhaps some slightbread overtones. Minor caramel detected. The sustain is very tame.

Mouthfeel: Ok, this brew really excels here. The carbonation gives a nice zing to the taste during onset, but the best thing is that this brew clears the palate with amazing panache. I was really impressed!

Drinkability: The amazing mouthfeel and overall light character of this highly flavored brew leaves the drinker wanting more. This is an EXCELLENT session brew. I highly recommend trying this if you ever get a chance.

Prosit!
Nikki

stockingcpl, Apr 24, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

22oz bottle from the shop poured into a traditional pint glass. Pours a dark burnt reddish brown with a light tan medium head. The head dissipated a bit fast leaving not even a rim of foam on top.

Definitely get the yeasts and malts in the nose. This beer screams winter evening by the fire, except its March and its raining outside. At least I have the fireplace going... anyways, I get some maraschino cherry in the nose as well as a little toasted bread.

Not being experienced with milds too much, I took this beer for a surprise. I have been drinking a lot of bigger beers lately so the lack of any hint of alcohol in this one caught me off guard. I get a good amount of malts, some light coffee notes, and yeast in the taste.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery and not very carbonated. Pretty much the only thing I can say about this beer that came up short for me.

Seems highly drinkable being that its low in alcohol and lighter in consistency. Being that it is local and one of their available brews, I will be getting this again.

phiberoptik, Mar 10, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -15.6%

Appearance - pours a brownish amber, a cakey head on top, nearly meringue-ish in its stiffness. Some chunky stuff at the bottom of the bomber that I wasn't ready for, so now's there's quite a few floaties in the brew.

Aroma - a bare trace of grain, slightly sweet. Some congestion in the ol' sniffer requires something with a little more punch to get through, but a lighter nose is expected.

Taste - light grains, faint toasty and buttery presence. Not much development beyond that. Primarily a light, malt-driven profile that is slightly sweet and easy on the palate, as a mild should be. Not the most exciting style, but well executed with a small margin of error to work with.

Mouthfeel - over-carbonated for an English mild, kind of cuts the flavors short with a carbonic ring. A smooth body besides.

Drinkability - a fine sessionable, I can see this as a good barbecue companion.

brewdlyhooked13, May 07, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

Picked this one up at the brewery. The beer was chilled and served in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer poured a dark brown with a thick white head.

Smell: The aroma is a bit grainy, lightly toasted and lightly roasted malt.

Taste: The flavors of toasted nuts and darker roasted almost cocoa nib hints. Mild bitterness cuts in at the end of the flavor. Very clean no off flavors present very well done.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light. Carbonation levels are held to a lower level and I think it helps to create a more satisfying beer drinking experience. The body was almost creamy at times. This is a very fine easy to drink beer. Very flavorful and satisfying a first rate session beer.

nlmartin, Jan 21, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Thanks to brew3crew for this one!

A: Pours a dark, murky brown color with a small ring of sand-colored foam. I can see a lot of carbonation rising in the glass.

S: Roasted malts and something that smells a little metallic. To me, it smelled a lot like warm pennies.

T: Light roasted malt upfront followed by some hazelnut-nuttiness. There's a touch of caramel sweetness and a bit of a burnt flavor before the taste just disappears as if it was zapped from your palette. It wasn't a bad beer, but the finish didn't do it for me.

notchucknorris, Apr 25, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +15.9%

This is a great, easy drinking ale. Not overpowering, but very flavorfull. I buy a new bomber about every time I brew a new batch of beer.

The appearance is dark brown, with a weak light brown head. Problem is that the head is not frothy enough or large enough, and doesn't last long.

Smell is slightly spicy, but mostly roasted aromas and malt. Problem here is that the smell is not real strong, I would like to smell it more. It goes straight up from here.

Tastes delicious. Malty, Roasty, slightly choclatey and woody. Some toffee, carmel, and coffee tastes. These are all rather subtle flavors.

Despite the light head, this feels very smooth and pleasant as you drink it.

This is very drinkable beacause, although there are a lot of flavors, they are all subtle, and the alcohol level is low.

Great job guys!

lflow, Aug 11, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Received as a very cool extra in a trade with pwoods. I believe this is the first Wild I've had. Poured into a pint glass, the beer is dark copper with and a very gentle pour yields a huge, frothy head. The retention is outstanding and the lacing is good.

The aroma is bready malt and grainy, with caramel and roasted notes. There is no apparent hop aroma or alcohol in the no. Aroma is also nutty. The flavor is very malty. I don't taste any hops or alcohol. I don't know the ABV on this, but if it's within style it's not high. The beer has a nice bready and roasted flavor to it. There is a low level of caramel sweetness as well.

Light bodied. The carbonation is high on this beer. A beer that is subtle in its delectability, which is a welcome change.

HopHead84, Mar 11, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

A- Caramel brown with some red hues worked in, and a beautiful tight head sits atop the beer that does fade a bit but still a solid head .

S- Some spicy notes are noticeable as well as ripe pear or apple in the background.

T- Roasted malt is prevalent and this beer actually reminds me of a bigger beer at first, such as a porter or stout. The flavor does mellow considerably and seems spot on for the style.

M- Good carbonation for the style and quite smooth mouth feel overall.

D- Milds are a fantastic session style and this beer hits the nail on the head.

israel, May 09, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a amber hued brown with a nice crème head that falls fairly soon. Nose is malty, spices, and some yeasty funk. All minor tones. Flavor is interesting. Has a biting bitter tone to it and a bit of funk as well. Kind of an earthy, rusty tone to it on the backside. Seems to be a wild fruity edge to things. I want to say it's cherry. Feel has a very full carbonation that attacks the tongue. Liquid is well bodied and typical. This is a mild bitter with more than mild wild tones. I like. Too bad I'll never see this available en-masse in my area.

RblWthACoz, Mar 10, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured on cask at cincy beer fest. Comes out frothy and brown. an orange tint to it. Smells heavily of yeast and malt. Not a strong scent. Tastes smooth and malty. a bit of a sour kick on the tongue but nothing too strong. Some light fruitiness compliments it. Decent mouthfeel and fairly drinkable

Urbancaver, Feb 12, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

Picked this up recently during my first trip to Listermann's for some homebrewing supplies. Couldn't resist a locally brewed beer.

Poured out of the bomber into my imperial pint glass with a lot of carbonated foam the whole way up. I believe this is the first time I've actually heard the head on my beer. Kinda sounded like Rice Krispies. A thin head stayed pretty well on the murky brown beer.

The smell is disappointing... almost like a couple of the Mr. Beer brews I started out making. There's a bit of toasty malt in both the smell and the flavor. The taste has some malt in the finish and a bit of Belgian fruitiness but is pretty watery overall. I haven't had many English milds so maybe this is par for the course.

The mouthful is a bit thin but creamy at the same time. There seemed to be too much carbonation at first but that mellowed after a while. This is a very sessionable beer but I doubt I'd come back for more. I wanted to like this but the off-putting smell and thin, weak taste will probably prevent me from picking this up again. Pretty average overall.

ltjska04, Apr 24, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle courtesy of CMitchell. Thanks Chris!

22oz Bottle conditioned Dark Mild Ale.

It pours a very dark brown, cloudy as all heck(Bottle conditioned! yeah) with about an inch of offwhite foam.

The smell is very nice but a little weak as aromas of sweet and roasted malt and a good fruity profile hit my nosebuds but more of the same would have been nice.

The taste must tell: follows the nose. Roasted malt and a nice fruitiness tops the bill with a light touch of...coffee?.. that puts out some light bitterness. I didn't expect that for a beer of the style but I'm not complaining as I think it adds a dimension to the beer that I like. Malt wise, I think a bit of breadiness is also here. Dang. I'm drinking this puppy way to fast but thankfully, the style demands low alcohol levels and Wild Mild is defintely sticking to that policy.

Medium bodied with light carbonation, the mouthfeel overall is quite good. Head retention and lacing continue to shine.

Drinkability? Man, this was MADE to session on and I could, pretty much, all night long if I felt like it/had lots more bottles. Ahh...if ONLY other brewers paid more attention to the sessionable styles that our cousins in the UK have in mucho abundance..I'd be a happier camper. Well done, Listermanns!

Bitterbill, Jan 30, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to AleLovinRuskie for this one.

Pours dark brown, dense off-white head, some lacing. Smell is rusty grain, some fruit, clean minerals. Taste is chewy malt, rough caramel sweetness, slight hop tang. It's thin, and mildly carbonated. Exceptionally easy to drink. I wish this were local.

gory4d, May 31, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -3%

Pours a pretty opaque dark brown with a think rimming of beige head.
Smells got some definite notes of roasted malts.
It's got some light roasted coffee bean notes with something like cashews or walnut flavor to it through the middle, good light malt on the back.
Our finish is a bit muddy but it transits into a coffee/malt after-taste that comes well and then recedes from my palate evenly.
Great drinkability. Perfect body for this style, there is no bite and it drinks very smoothly.

ThaBobfather, Jun 25, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Big thanks to my man Jason (brew3crew) for this bottle. Cheers.

Poured into a Bell's shaped Pint Glass. Deep brown colored body, a bit of a reddish hue to it. Two finger light oatmeal head sits atop. Retention is decent though lacing is a bit slight.

The aroma is not huge but is rather pleasant. Toasted bready malt and grassy hops are prominent. A decent caramel presence is noted beneath.

Admittedly, this beer is outside of my norm though I find it quite enjoyable. I find myself enjoying the subtleties a bit more. Brown bready malt is followed by a bit of caramel and brown sugar. There is a bit of sweeter honey like sweetness at the very end but the drier breadiness carries through. There is some black tea like qualities the are almost buried through out which emerge from time to time. I believe the grassy hops accentuate this tea like characteristic. Much more depth of flavor than anticipated.

Light bodied Mild with smooth and soft carbonation. Moderate to slightly long finish, the dark bready sweetness does like to linger just a bit.

I do enjoy my true session beers but am rarely blown away. I cannot say that Listermann's blew me away on this one but they did produce a beer that surpasses the others I have enjoyed from them. The flavor has more depth than expected. This beer is way too drinkable. Listermann's did an outstanding job with this beer.

kzoobrew, Apr 08, 2011