186,000 MPS - Listermann Brewing Supply & Mfg

186,000 MPS186,000 MPS

Listermann Brewing Supply & Mfg visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Malt Liquor |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 05-07-2009)
BeerAndBourbon

3.33/5  rDev +2.5%

Reviewed from tasting notes from the Listermann Beer Tasting at the Catskeller awhile ago.

A. Light liquid that pours with a thin head that dissipates quickly.

S. There's a fruitiness that I suspect is from a warm fermentation, but is not all-together unpleasant.

T. Lots of corn upfront with plently of boozy alcohol on the tail.

M. Thin body with crisp carbonation.

D. Not the most exciting beer, but it certainly goes down quickly for a high alcohol brew (the tasting notes state the abv as 10.5%).

09-13-2011 23:55:04 | More by BeerAndBourbon
AgentZero

2.03/5  rDev -37.5%

Big thanks to Alex who provided this. Oh wait, screw Alex for making us all do this malt liquor tasting. Yes, someone held a gun to my head.

A - Hazy yellowish-orange body. Not much of anything left behind, not particularly attractive.

S - Some floral notes, lots of sweet malts, alcohol. The sweetness and floral notes mix together to give kind of a yuck smell, but it's not even close to the worst of the day.

T - Sweet, a little gritty sugar, lots of booze, slight rotten taste. I didn't find this as bad as some, but it's not good at all.

M - Lower carbonation, a little sticky and syrupy, blah.

O - Oh god, it's another malt liquor, will the horror never end?? This wasn't the worst, but it was in the lower tier of malt liquors. That's not a good thing.

07-07-2011 20:26:28 | More by AgentZero
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

1.3/5  rDev -60%

*6-20-11 - I am currently in the process of obtaining a new sample directly from the brewery.*

First Annual(?) Chicago Malt Liquor Tasting. Bottle courtesy of dschuster03.

A - Minimal foam settles to pretty much nothing - no lace, collar, etc. Hazy, pale apricot body. 2.0

S - Grain alcohol, rotten fruits, some garbage. Yikes this was bad. 1.5

T - A wonderful assortment of rotten fruit, garbage, fusel alcohol, grain, and god knows what else. 1.0

M - Slimy, minimal carbonation, medium bodied, with plenty of alcohol warmth. I suppose I wouldn't have necessarily guessed it was 12%, but that's pretty much all it had going for it. 1.5

D - Wow this was awful. Far worse that Evil Eye, or any of the other mass-marketed malt liquors we had. This was the first unequivocal drain pour of the afternoon. Perhaps it was an off bottle, as other reviews seem to be somewhat favorable. 1.5

06-19-2011 16:16:08 | More by MasterSki
jhaap

I wasn't sure how to rank this with the categories so it reflected how much I enjoyed drinking this.

The flavor was just okay. But what really impressed me was how I felt after drinking just one bottle one thirsty afternoon!

This was quite drinkable, with a surprisingly high alcohol content -- especially given its drinkability!

02-08-2011 22:50:19 | More by jhaap
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: Pours out a hazed, straw-hued body with a tall, unabashed, white head with excellent retention.

Smell: Modestly malty, same for the floral hops, and same for the whiffs of simple, unadorned booze. Lightly sweetish.

Taste: Soft, pale malted barley, modestly sweet, with perhaps a hint of rice. Faint floral character, though very, very little bitterness. A few drops of neutral grain spirits. Fairly clean finish with only a hint of sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-high carbonation.

Drinkability: You know, I actually liked this one. The inherent carbonation keeps this one lighter and looser than the rest of the malt liquor lot, making it fairly drinkable.

08-12-2010 16:58:10 | More by ChainGangGuy
lflow

4.03/5  rDev +24%

This beer isn't really at the top of my list. Unless it's a cold day and you're going to be sitting around the house and you need something to help you relax really quickly. This gets you there. I can also say, this is much better than any other malt liquer I've ever tasted.

The beer is straw like in color which is nice, but the thin white head is very little and dissipates very quickly.

This beer smells a bit fuity, a bit sour. Hint of alcohol.

I will admit I'm being generous here because of my low expectations for the genre. Tastes fruity like pears and white grapes, but sour also. Kind of similar to some white wines. Also some pleasant flavor of alcohol.

Mouthefeel is a bit smooth. Not too sqecial. A little burn from the alcohol.

I think this is a great beer to drink if your in the mood. I was, I put it down quickly, and could have used another. It makes me feel warmand fuzzy.

01-03-2010 19:24:33 | More by lflow
Beejay

3.95/5  rDev +21.5%

A: Pale straw in color, there was little head and it dissipated quickly.

S: Fruity and sweet.. like a champaign. Quite fragrant.

T: Sweet and fruity at first, then a kick that could knock you over. Sweet and thick.. fairly smooth for the amount of alcohol in it.. This is like a quad but a little less elegant.

M: High carbonation, but there is a certain smoothness to it, that I rather like.

D: Not a whole lot at one time that is for sure. This is a big one, and something I am glad I tried, I feel like it fills a certain place in the world. Fine job fellas.

Review #222. A good number.

12-07-2009 03:40:36 | More by Beejay
erosier

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev +20%

A Big thanks to CMithcell for this one!
L: Pours a hazy yellow orange with a large but fluffly and light white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of toasted malt, some earthy hops, and alcohol. You can smell it's a strong one.
T: Very much like the nose, but the toasted malt and hops actually cover up a good portion of the alcohol.
M: Potent, more flavorful than you would expect and less harsh feeling as well, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: It was pretty good actually, I liked that I was able to drink the whole bomber and enjoyed the whole thing.

09-20-2009 13:30:53 | More by erosier
degerbah

3.33/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours an almost opaque pale yellow. Extremely cloudy. Smell reminds me oddly enough of a hefeweizen, kind of like a banana esther flavor. This taste like widmers on steroids. Take a weizen like Franziskaner and triple the alcohol content and you essentially have this beer. This might be the bozziest beer I've ever had. Not bourbony, liquor. Malt Liquor. This is a beer that actually has some burn. Very light body makes me think lots of sugar used in the brewing.

Basically its malt lquor taken to an extreme. Might get it again, but it will be for a night when I want to get messed up.

07-20-2009 03:41:20 | More by degerbah
brewdlyhooked13

2.98/5  rDev -8.3%

The name refers to the speed of light in case you're wondering (186,000 miles per second). The cap printing reads 'Please Be Seated'. :-D

Appearance - pours a bright, slightly hazed honey-gold color, a voluminous head in the Belgian glass. Dotty lacing as the foam recedes. Good resilience to the white cakey cap.

Aroma - lightly sweet grain, more pronounced yeast. One other aroma I can't put my finger on - part soapy, part floral, part woody, I don't know what it is. The sum total, this beer has a light aroma for a malt liquor. The sweetness of the grain pervades all, and with warming, some late abv vapors come out.

Taste - the start of some sweet graininess, quickly interrupted by a salty carbonic charge. Like soda water, the bubbles create a mild salty flavor of their own. I'll have to work some of that carbonation out to get to the flavors better, plus I don't want all that CO2 in my head. Well, even after releasing a good amount of the carbonation, I'm getting a sourish bite of hops on the swallow, and some kind of chemical-like flavor. Some banana notes in there, more of the sweet grain coming through as this warms. Some 'meh' parts, some 'okay' parts. This doesn't taste at all like 12%, more like 7 to 8%. Not as sweet as any malt liquor I've had, this has more hop character but some other stuff too that I'd prefer it not have.

Mouthfeel - it doesn't have the big smoothness or slickness I'd expect from a malt liquor. As with the Wild Mild, the bottle conditioning, while a nice touch, allows over-carbonating to occur. It's thin for a malt liquor too, the body I want just isn't there.

Drinkability - I have a few of these to cellar, so it will be interesting to see any changes that occur over time. It's either very tame for 12% or it's extremely well-hidden.

05-07-2009 03:31:41 | More by brewdlyhooked13