Listermann's Enter The Beagle India Pale Ale - Listermann Brewing Supply & Mfg

Listermann's Enter The Beagle India Pale AleListermann's Enter The Beagle India Pale Ale

Listermann Brewing Supply & Mfg visit their website
Ohio, United States

(Beer added by: mwa423 on 07-20-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

ali1987, Jan 05, 2014

kylehay2004, Dec 31, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

rheimbro, Jun 02, 2013

kal4478, Feb 26, 2013
3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bomber and poured into a Weizen glass (it gets a lot of use - it happens to be a good size for around 22oz).

A: Dark gold. Decent head that dissipates but maintains at the surface throughout. Notice some yeast moving towards the base (it is bottle-conditioned and I don't mind the stuff enough to pour carefully).

S: Slight malt and a mild scent of hops and yeast.

T: Mildly sweet, but mostly dry. Hops are there but not distinct. Yeast is hanging around in the back.

M: Mildly to moderately carbonated. Nice body.

O: Not a bad IPA. A little plain in the massive landscape of American examples. Everything fits the style, but it registers a little dry, but without the sort of distinct hop showcase one would hope to find.

fastrodney, Jan 13, 2013

Pixachii, Nov 20, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a clear golden color with a solid one inch ivory head that lingers, eventually dissipating and leaving spotty lacing.

Fresh cut grass and caramel malt are accented by undertones of citrus in the aroma. Herbal and floral hops add complexity.

Flavor reveals a bready malt backbone, which is initially dominated by nondescript citrus tones. Grapefruit pith and orange emerge as it warms. Grassy hop character carries into the slightly bitter, peppery finish.

Body is moderate, with moderate carbonation, and a bit of alcohol warmth.

Overall, a very drinkable beer, but it's somewhat simple and a little too balanced. Not as bitter as most, and lacking in hop flavor complexity.

barczar, Nov 20, 2012

sendbeer, Nov 18, 2012

3Hops, Aug 02, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

ConorThomas, Jul 04, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -1%

22 oz bottles, sans bottle date and courtesy of Nate, popped while watching the gubernatorial debate this evening.

Pours a turbid, foggy, muddy cider with a white skim that shows solid staying power. Lacing is decent, but this beer suffers in the looks department.

Faint creamy peachiness on the nose along with some cidery malt sweetness. Fairly tame to my nasal sensibilities.

Green apple skins, cider, and peaches. Moderate bitterness through the middle rides a modest, but firm, malt foundation.

Body is very creamy and amply carbonated with a nice feel.

Overall, this is an interesting, albeit slightly different, IPA. The peachiness is nice and the big fluffy feel makes this an enjoyable experience. Thanks for the opportunity, Nate!

BarrytheBear, May 26, 2012

seeswo, May 10, 2012
3.43/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from bottle into tulip. This is my first offering from this brewery.
A - looks appealing, kind of a dull orange, almost pumpkin like. Nice 1/4 inch head retention with ever present lacing.
S - most disapointing of the criteria. Not much on the nose at all
T - solid, nice hop presence with a small bit of malt sweetness. Not much of the fruit sweetness, shows a lil bit of pine bitterness on the end.
M - easy to drink
O - solid offering, in the crowded arena of IIPA's, this is a good representation.

ReTag, Apr 22, 2012
4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

I was pleasantly surprised. They are a home brew supply so I half expected it to taste like a kit - with that overly sweet malt and leftover yeast taste. However, It had a crisp start - that lovely floral feel that IPA's tend to have, and a soothing bitter aftertaste that didn't stick around too long. I actually really enjoyed it and would buy it more if only I lived closer to their store! I'm hoping they start distributing locally soon.

Christman, Feb 17, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Poured a hazy, and I mean hazy crimson red. It was topped by a finger width of head that stuck around. There wasn't a super amount of lacing; however, there was some.

S: I was told this was hopped with simcoe, and that seems to be true. there is that dank catty like aroma that is fused with pungent citrus notes.

T: The taste was strongly reminiscent of grapefruit, tropical fruits, and a dank after taste.This is one of the more unique IPAS I have had in awhile.

M: medium bodied--smooth and creamy.

O: Another fantastic brew from LBS!

brown2cu, Jan 26, 2012

Caterwaul, Jan 11, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +1%

Deuce to tulip. Pours an opaque copper. Color and bouquet are forgettable, but the taste is on point. Can tell it's bottle conditioned (and that's a good thing - at least until you get to the end of the bottle). I tried it while I was at a tsunami relief fundraiser at The Comet in Cincinnati, and im glad i did because I'll pick a couple deuces up next time im at Listermann's.

b3shine, Apr 03, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

22oz bomber poured into a standard pint glass. Gave a loud pssh when opened and poured very foamy after going from the fridge to counter with little to no agitation. Pours a murky copper/orange that actually looks slightly brown higher up the glass where its wider. Light cream head that is very bubbly and lasting.

I get a lot of citrus notes in the nose. Very sweet with a little floral. It smells delicious. Remeniscent of PTE, but I dont want to try and compare directly. I really want to drink this after smelling it.

I taste the citrus hops in this as well as some malts in the end. I get some piney hops in the taste that I didnt get in the nose. This beer has some really enjoyable qualities. My wife says it tastes familiar so that is a good thing since the last few IPAs she has had carry pretty good reputations (PTE, Sculpin, Aprihop, Hopslam, etc).

This beer has some body to it and is noticeably more carbonated than the last few beers I have had. Not bad, but I feel the carbonation in my stomach.

Another good beer from Listermann's. I am glad to have gotten my hands on this and Ill pick another couple up the next time Im through. Id be happy to include this in some trades with anyone not local.

phiberoptik, Mar 23, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +1%

A: Cloudy amber color with thin head and minimal lacing.

S: Piney hops, grapefruit and malts.

T: Caramel malts followed by bitter hops with slight biter linger.

M: Nice carbonation, kinda sticky.

D: Decent IPA, worth a try. Easy to finish a bomber.

injuredreserve, Nov 13, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Got this 22oz Bottle Conditioned Beer localy at Listermann's Brewery and supply store.

Apperance: Nice pour and good carbonation with thin lacing. Deep Amber/copper Appearance.

Smell: Spicy citrus & piney smell.

Taste: Balanced malty upfront with hop bitterness at back.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy.

Drinkability: easy to medium drinkability could put down quite a few in a night.

Overall a pretty nice beer. I would buy again.

PhillaTheSpilla, Sep 10, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -40.9%

Thanks to beerman207 for picking this up for a tasting the other night. Review is from notes taken on 7/24/2010 and poured from the bottle to an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Pour is the color of freshly squeezed cider and starts with a 1/2 finger light tan creamy head that fades quickly to an incomplete skim; body is extremely cloudy; only a couple of spots of lacing are left behind -- color seems awfully red/apricot to me and doesn't really match what I would expect from the style.

Smell: Lots of hops right up front, and there is a strong acidic apple-like flavor and a bit of a peachy sweetness and bit of sweet maltiness; faint fusel alcohol, which is strange considering it's only 6.25%.

Taste: Misses the mark - bitter acidic apple skin like flavor and a bit of grass; a very faint bit of caramel from the malts in the back; unbalanced bitterness lingers in the back and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Extremely dry and cottony finish with a very thin and dry film on the roof of the mouth; body is kind of flat with minimal carbonation; stomach is left warm from the high acidity.

Drinkability: Pretty low overall due to the off scents and flavors -- not a good offering. I'll give it another shot though since it's from Cincinnati and all, but for now, the review stands.

bamadog, Jul 25, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +19.3%

The beer pours a fantastic golden honey orange with a very slight straw haze. A rich 1-2 finger head fills up my pilsner glass wonderfully.

The smell does what an IPA should do and more. Citrus, lemon, orange, grapefruit, a bit of pine, honey and is that a slight hint of pepper? My nose also picks up a somewhat "raw" grain flavor that punches through right at the back end. I am digging this. My roommate just picked up the beer and smelled it (since I hadn't moved on to taste yet) and said that it smells "like amazing." That's pretty much where it stands in my book.

The taste certainly doesn't disappoint. Lots of sticky hops, more citrus and the light grain flavor really perks up and gives the beer a "just brewed" taste (along with the very fresh hops, of course!). The hops are refreshing at the beginning of the sip and wash into more of that sticky pine on the tongue as it washes through. As the beer warms it gives way to even a light touch of chocolate and even more lemon and citrus pushes through.

Nothing bad at all to say here. The beer is a little thicker on the mouth as per the style, but I feel as though that's a good thing. A lot of IPA's fall short in this category and come up a little light - this one gets it right in my book. I'd akin the mouthfeel to a two-hearted, off the top of my head

I could drink these all day, any day, any season. That's all I have to say about that.

I'm incredibly thankful that Listermann's is less than a ten minute drive from my house and these are incredibly reasonable in price for a bomber. Big thanks to CMitchell for hooking me up with this bottle, and here's me raising this glass to Listermann's and their continued growth over the years to come. Other than the IPA, they brew some not-so-traditional styles (Malt Liquor, Mild) that are very delicious, and I've had the pleasure of trying some beers in the back room that they are testing out to bottle in the future. Can't wait for more and keep up the great work, guys!

dschuster03, Feb 26, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +19.8%

Bottle courtesy of CMitchell. Thank Chris!

22oz Bottle Conditioned.

First pour gives me a clear amber gold colour with a 1 finger head of foam with lots of nice lacing. Plenty of small bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass.

The smell has a very balanced nose of citrus hops and caramel malt sweetness. It's really easy to take a lot of whiffs of this IPA as I'm digging it.

The taste brings the citrus, which is not overly bitter(nice) and as solid a malt backbone for an American IPA that I've had in quite some time. Wow. Balance perfection! I could see this one classified as an English style IPA easily. The bitterness reaches its peak right at the finish where it is most appreciated...demanding that I take yet another sip. And man, this tastes so super fresh; no surprise as I got this from the man at the source!

The hop profile is light grapefruit, hence the mild bitterness, with a nice lemon like twang. The malt is sweet and earthy. Very darn nice.

2nd pour brings a bit of haze to the liquid but that's a welcome sight for me as this *is* bottle conditioned so there's minimal filtering going on.

Smooth mouthfeel thanks to medium body with light carbonation and no real sign of any alcohol in the taste nor after the swallow.

Drinkability? a 5. There, I said it. There's nothing like cutting through the chase, eh?

My second sample from the gang at Listermann and colour me impressed. I wasn't looking for yet another hop monster and, thankfully, I didn't get one but do not be afraid to give this one a go if you see it just because it isn't a hop monster; the balance in this beauty could very well change your opinion that all American IPAs *have* to be super hoppy to "fit to the style" in order to be appreciated. I recommend this one...umm...highly and my final words are: seek this one out!

Bitterbill, Jan 31, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -6.1%

Had in bottles right after it was released but saw it on tap and was in the mood for something different.

A - Very nice and clear golden color with a finger of white head that stuck to both every inch of the glass.

S - The only disappointing part of this beer. Very little smell, only a hint of hops and a slightly sour/vinegar smell.

T - Heavy hit of malt at first that is chased by a smooth hoppy bitterness. The aftertaste is earthy hops, very enjoyable.

M/D - Mouthfeel is very smooth, thick but not cloying. Very drinkable, could easily have a few of these if I was interested in a we'll balanced ipa.

mwa423, Jan 29, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

I bought this bottle at the brewery while purchasing home brew supplies, Great combination.

A: Poor's a dark copper color with a good head, but with average lacing.
S: Nice spicy hop notes
T: Very classic IPA, well balanced bitterness and malt
M: Solid
D: Very drinkable, I could drink a few of these. The price is not bad for what it is.

thistle3189, Jan 23, 2010
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Listermann's Enter The Beagle India Pale Ale from Listermann Brewing Supply & Mfg