Listermann's Enter The Beagle India Pale Ale - Listermann Brewing Supply & Mfg

Listermann's Enter The Beagle India Pale AleListermann's Enter The Beagle India Pale Ale

Listermann Brewing Supply & Mfg visit their website
Ohio, United States

(Beer added by: mwa423 on 07-20-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by brown2cu:
brown2cu

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Poured a hazy, and I mean hazy crimson red. It was topped by a finger width of head that stuck around. There wasn't a super amount of lacing; however, there was some.

S: I was told this was hopped with simcoe, and that seems to be true. there is that dank catty like aroma that is fused with pungent citrus notes.

T: The taste was strongly reminiscent of grapefruit, tropical fruits, and a dank after taste.This is one of the more unique IPAS I have had in awhile.

M: medium bodied--smooth and creamy.

O: Another fantastic brew from LBS!

01-26-2012 06:49:22 | More by brown2cu
pwoods

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%

Picked up a bottle today at the homebrew shop. The guy said it's less than 2 weeks old.

22oz. brown bomber poured into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a dingy orange but clears up a bit in the light. Weak carbonation.... a rough pours gets maybe a fingers worth of loose head without much retention. Decent lacing, though.

S: Light citrus hops with light oily resin. Anything other than Cascade for aroma, Dan? Light biscuity malts that aren't over done.

T/M: Cascade forward but maybe a touch of Cent to beef things up a bit. Bitterness level is in between APA and IPA. Some light resins and a small prick of pine. The malts don't over balance but don't really have much going on, either. Body is medium light and feels watery from the crappy carbonation.

D: Drinks easy enough but really is sub par. Sorry, Dan. Try some high AAU hops for flavoring and aroma next time. If you can find them, that is. :)

07-23-2009 02:10:17 | More by pwoods
degerbah

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured a cloudy yellow-orange with a finger of head. The aroma is all hops although I can't recognize the variety by taste or smell.

Tates very hoppy all through with a slight aftertaste that sticks with me between sips. More of an earthy hop taste.

A very drinkable IPA and of all the Listermanns products, probably the best so far. I would gladly buy a bomber of this versus a bomber of certain stone products.

07-20-2009 02:03:10 | More by degerbah
Christman

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

I was pleasantly surprised. They are a home brew supply so I half expected it to taste like a kit - with that overly sweet malt and leftover yeast taste. However, It had a crisp start - that lovely floral feel that IPA's tend to have, and a soothing bitter aftertaste that didn't stick around too long. I actually really enjoyed it and would buy it more if only I lived closer to their store! I'm hoping they start distributing locally soon.

02-17-2012 20:03:09 | More by Christman
Beejay

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Thanks to CMitchell, for getting this one to me!!

A: A light copper color, with nice white head, dissipates to a fairly full ring, but it took a little time..

S: Grassy with a little bit of sweetness.

T: Crisp, sharp, a nice amount of bitter coming through as well as some citrus notes. Not overly hoppy as some IPA's can bw. A touch of malt in the finish makes this balance out a bit. Overall I think it is very well done indeed.

M: Crisp, and lots of carbonation.

D: I am not an IPA person, that being said, I keep finding beers that break that rule for me, and this is one of them. Great beer, solid, and would be wonderful sitting on a porch outside on a warm summer day. Bravo guys.

08-10-2009 01:34:14 | More by Beejay
xcrunner78

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Very excited that my LHBS make beer now. Got a viewing of the equipment and the beer was very good. Great clear pour with no haziness. A lot of hops up front and back on the palate. The smell of hops are just excellent and added to the taste as it entered the mouth. A great recommendation!

12-21-2009 15:21:41 | More by xcrunner78
injuredreserve

Louisiana

3.98/5  rDev +1%

A: Cloudy amber color with thin head and minimal lacing.

S: Piney hops, grapefruit and malts.

T: Caramel malts followed by bitter hops with slight biter linger.

M: Nice carbonation, kinda sticky.

D: Decent IPA, worth a try. Easy to finish a bomber.

11-13-2010 13:54:22 | More by injuredreserve
kal4478

02-26-2013 13:17:45 | More by kal4478
erosier

Connecticut

A big thanks to CMitchell for this one! Thanks Chris!

L: Pours a nice orange-amber with a big and thick tan colored head that laces the glass a whole lot as it fades on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet toasted malts, some more caramelized malts, then a nice big citrus and floral hop aroma.
T: Tastes similar to the nose - sweet toasted malt and a slightly caramelized malt backbone underneath a bigger but not overpowering citrus hop flavor and a slight floral hop taste at the end. Really good mixing of the malts and hops. Interesting that this is a bottle conditioned IPA.
M: Very smooth for an IPA, refreshing, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, this one isn't overpowering in any one field, it's a nice balance of all the flavors that make an IPA an IPA.

01-06-2010 11:29:57 | More by erosier
phiberoptik

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

22oz bomber poured into a standard pint glass. Gave a loud pssh when opened and poured very foamy after going from the fridge to counter with little to no agitation. Pours a murky copper/orange that actually looks slightly brown higher up the glass where its wider. Light cream head that is very bubbly and lasting.

I get a lot of citrus notes in the nose. Very sweet with a little floral. It smells delicious. Remeniscent of PTE, but I dont want to try and compare directly. I really want to drink this after smelling it.

I taste the citrus hops in this as well as some malts in the end. I get some piney hops in the taste that I didnt get in the nose. This beer has some really enjoyable qualities. My wife says it tastes familiar so that is a good thing since the last few IPAs she has had carry pretty good reputations (PTE, Sculpin, Aprihop, Hopslam, etc).

This beer has some body to it and is noticeably more carbonated than the last few beers I have had. Not bad, but I feel the carbonation in my stomach.

Another good beer from Listermann's. I am glad to have gotten my hands on this and Ill pick another couple up the next time Im through. Id be happy to include this in some trades with anyone not local.

03-23-2011 23:50:37 | More by phiberoptik
wilwfu

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Thanks to Pwoods for this awesome extra. Absolutely love the name... "Enter the beagle", as a dog guy, can't get enough when I see beer and dog stuff together.

Pours with a huge billowy head on a murky orange body. The head really has some large pillows in it and it just sits high the whole way down... one of the more impressive looking pale ales ive experienced. The nose is very very subtle; biscuity malt, pine and citrus, but very subdued, I had to stick my nose down in it for a minute to really draw everything out. Very faint. Diving in the mouthfeel is creamy and soft, very much like a casked ipa would be. There is a nice citrus, think orange and grapfruit rind, hop flavor rounded out on the back end by some toasted bread from the malts. Some Orangemarmalade and toast comes to mind when sipping on this.

I'd describe this as a citrusy english pale ale, unique considering how most american IPAs taste, but nevertheless, this is a very good English/American IPA. Will keep my eye on what Listermann puts out in the future, this was a very good start

01-21-2010 00:30:28 | More by wilwfu
nlmartin

2.9/5  rDev -26.4%

My wife saw this beer on the shelf of a local stop and rob. Thanks honey!... The beer was served in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beers body has a clear apricot coloration. Nice even carbonation makes its way to the surface. The head of the beer is a biege coloration mountainously high. Good head retention is noted. Major lacing remains behind on my glass. For me beer is like food. I think we tend to eat with our eyes first. The appearance of the beer has left me hungry / thirsty.

Smell: The hop aroma is lightly citrused hopped with a kiss of pine resin. Personally I would have liked a bit more aroma but this is well done. A crackery malt peaks its head up from my glass.

Taste: The flavor of the beer is bitter pine forward. The pine is resinous and sticks around. The malt peaks out for a second but is quickly over run by the bitterness.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light. I think a bit more carbonation would have helped. This is not a bad stab at an IPA. The drinkability is about average. This is an ok beer once. Will definately give Listermann another try. I am a sucker for a little guy brewer.

10-26-2009 22:14:23 | More by nlmartin
Pixachii

District of Columbia

11-20-2012 18:17:32 | More by Pixachii
Ngol

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

This was a 22 oz bomber from the shop.
I've tried all of their beers so far, and this one finally piqued my interest.
I was expecting an American IPA, and this would be more of an English type, IMHO.
I love me some AIPAs so I was disappointed when the aroma was not present. Needs more late addition high AA hops. Bitterness was good and balanced with the malt, but this was somewhere between an APA and an IPA. Good amber color.

08-13-2009 15:54:35 | More by Ngol
bamadog

Kentucky

2.33/5  rDev -40.9%

Thanks to beerman207 for picking this up for a tasting the other night. Review is from notes taken on 7/24/2010 and poured from the bottle to an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Pour is the color of freshly squeezed cider and starts with a 1/2 finger light tan creamy head that fades quickly to an incomplete skim; body is extremely cloudy; only a couple of spots of lacing are left behind -- color seems awfully red/apricot to me and doesn't really match what I would expect from the style.

Smell: Lots of hops right up front, and there is a strong acidic apple-like flavor and a bit of a peachy sweetness and bit of sweet maltiness; faint fusel alcohol, which is strange considering it's only 6.25%.

Taste: Misses the mark - bitter acidic apple skin like flavor and a bit of grass; a very faint bit of caramel from the malts in the back; unbalanced bitterness lingers in the back and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Extremely dry and cottony finish with a very thin and dry film on the roof of the mouth; body is kind of flat with minimal carbonation; stomach is left warm from the high acidity.

Drinkability: Pretty low overall due to the off scents and flavors -- not a good offering. I'll give it another shot though since it's from Cincinnati and all, but for now, the review stands.

07-25-2010 19:43:15 | More by bamadog
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

3.9/5  rDev -1%

22 oz bottles, sans bottle date and courtesy of Nate, popped while watching the gubernatorial debate this evening.

Pours a turbid, foggy, muddy cider with a white skim that shows solid staying power. Lacing is decent, but this beer suffers in the looks department.

Faint creamy peachiness on the nose along with some cidery malt sweetness. Fairly tame to my nasal sensibilities.

Green apple skins, cider, and peaches. Moderate bitterness through the middle rides a modest, but firm, malt foundation.

Body is very creamy and amply carbonated with a nice feel.

Overall, this is an interesting, albeit slightly different, IPA. The peachiness is nice and the big fluffy feel makes this an enjoyable experience. Thanks for the opportunity, Nate!

05-26-2012 01:36:33 | More by BarrytheBear
lflow

4.53/5  rDev +15%

I'm not an expert on beer tasting, but this is a reaaly good beer. My favorite from Listermann. In general, this beer is not overwhelmingly bitter, but still has a delicious hop taste.

Appears slightly dark, slightly cloudy, orange color. Smells like delicious hops. Floral and Citrus smells. At this point it's already extremely appetizing.

Tastes great. Bright flavors. Crisp and citrus. Refreshing. Malt flavor is not strong, allowing the hops to dominate. The alclohol also lends some nice flavor toward the end. Perfectly carbonated.

I gave the drinkability a 3.5 because the first couple drinks hit kind of hard. Left a bit overwhelmed by bitter aftertaste. This subsides.

08-10-2009 01:49:21 | More by lflow
ali1987

01-05-2014 22:30:22 | More by ali1987
sendbeer

Georgia

11-18-2012 20:18:18 | More by sendbeer
thistle3189

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

I bought this bottle at the brewery while purchasing home brew supplies, Great combination.

A: Poor's a dark copper color with a good head, but with average lacing.
S: Nice spicy hop notes
T: Very classic IPA, well balanced bitterness and malt
M: Solid
D: Very drinkable, I could drink a few of these. The price is not bad for what it is.

01-23-2010 22:58:51 | More by thistle3189
b3shine

3.98/5  rDev +1%

Deuce to tulip. Pours an opaque copper. Color and bouquet are forgettable, but the taste is on point. Can tell it's bottle conditioned (and that's a good thing - at least until you get to the end of the bottle). I tried it while I was at a tsunami relief fundraiser at The Comet in Cincinnati, and im glad i did because I'll pick a couple deuces up next time im at Listermann's.

04-03-2011 19:02:09 | More by b3shine

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

07-04-2012 03:51:47 | More by ConorThomas
bencripe

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottle from Listermann's per recommendation by Chris.

A) Orangish-yellow, light copper coloring. Poured a nice two finger head. Fairly clear with a little hazyness. Expected the clarity to be as it is due to being bottle conditioned and an IPA with a fairly high hopping rate. Lacing on my pitn glass lasted through the entire pint.

S) Herbal, floral hop nose, but not overwhelming. Very approachable, but I personally like a huge hop aroma in my IPAs. Great notes of pine and citrus come through being very characteristic of an american IPA.

T) Not overly bitter- which I personally really like. I would rather have an IPA with mid-level bitterness otherwise I tend not to have more than a couple pints. Very balanced beer- nice hope flavor and resinous qualities that I look for in an IPA. A touch of malt and caramel can be noticed- just enough to balance the american hops.

M) Good level of carbonation, not over-carbed, no astringent bite. Somewhat creamy mouthfeel- very enjoyable and smooth.

D) Very drinkable and approachable. I would say it is somewhat of an IPA that drinks like an APA in terms of hop aroma and bitterness. My only real critique is the hop aroma could be increased for my liking. Overall, this is a beer I would want to enjoy again and recommend to others. I look forward to trying the other brews and keep releasing more styles!

12-22-2009 02:32:07 | More by bencripe
klewis

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

A: Pours a slightly hazy copper with a big, foamy head. Good retention with moderate lacing.

S: Big hop aroma with plenty of "C" hops. Mostly citrus with some pine and soft floral notes.

T: Grapefruit and pine hit the palate first followed by a balancing crystal malt taste and finally a blast of bitterness.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate-high carbonation. The flavor is fleet, yet the bitterness sticks to the palate for a while.

D: All in all, this is a solid IPA, yet quite average when compared to the rest of the market.

08-01-2009 00:00:01 | More by klewis
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Listermann's Enter The Beagle India Pale Ale from Listermann Brewing Supply & Mfg