Stout - Listermann Brewing Supply & Mfg

StoutStout

Listermann Brewing Supply & Mfg visit their website
Ohio, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Beejay on 04-11-2010)
Reviews by fishnuttoo:
fishnuttoo

Kentucky

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

1st time reviewing, long time drinking...

Purchased this at Listerman's brewery/homebrew store. 22oz. bomber.

very nice when you can talk to the guys who create the recipe and brew the beer.

A: Deep dark brown/ black color to the beer, nice creamy tan color to the head. Some of the head stayed throughout the beer, adequate lacing.

S: Smokey smell, hints of nutty and toffee. Very subtle.

T: Nice roasted taste, hints of nutty, subtle smokey flavor. Not overpowering but present. Good clean taste. Not alot of lingering aftertaste.

M: Nicely carbonated

D: Very drinkable, not overpowering. In a market of overpowering, and overdone beers, this is a classic style stout
in which i enjoyed immensely. This is not a "one and done" beer, could have drank these all night.

05-01-2010 04:23:10 | More by fishnuttoo
Maxam

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

I love Listermann's Brewery Supply, they've supplied me with a lot of tips and equipment for my own brews. This was my first taste of their beers.

Appearance: Deep dark brown, almost black in the glass. Creamy head.

Smell: Slight smokiness at the front-end, followed by some coffee and toffee notes. Not overpowering at all, but pleasant.

Taste: Nutty, toffee taste up front, ends with hoppy bitterness that turns to less pleasant bitter aftertaste. Tastes like letting it bottle condition a little more would cure the after taste.

Mouthfeel: perfect carbonation, pretty thin

Drinkability: Very drinkable, I nursed this one and as it warmed a little more it became more pleasant. I enjoyed it, I'd have another, but I probably won't drive back down to Cincy for it on a pilgrimage, but would probably pick it up if I find my self in Listermann's again for another reason.

I'm anxious to try a few more of their brews, next is the IPA.

04-13-2010 21:44:05 | More by Maxam
Beejay

Thanks CMitchell!

A: Nut brown pour but in the glass it turns a dark black. Full creamy off white head on this baby.

S: A nice nutty smell at first, but this is backed with a lovely roasty scent. It ends with just a hint of caramel and coffee.

T: Roasty and delicious. There is a toasty or nutty flavor in there that I really enjoy.

M: A bit on the thin side, but that doesn't bother me. Excellent carbonation.

D: Light in body, big on taste. I suspect the ABV is around 5-6%. If not this could be a very dangerous beer indeed. Good job boys.

04-11-2010 20:11:13 | More by Beejay
movingtrain

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

22 ounce bottle sampled from at 12 ounce snifter.

Picked this up on my trip down to Listermann's to grab a few supplies. I love that shop...very relaxed and do-it-yourself. I saw a few brews next to the counter, and grabbed this stout.

Pours a deep black. On the pour there was a substantial cream head that has since died down and is resting on top.

There are some good chocolate and coffee notes in the aroma. Perhaps some vanilla in there, too...a bit of smokiness, charred wood, and chocolate malts. The aroma is that of a good dry stout.

Upon first sip, bitterness gives way to a sweet, creamy flavor. There are some of the chocolate notes from the aroma in there, as well as coffee and smoke. Some sweetness, as well...like sugar and toffee. There are also some fruity notes...apple and plum. The overwhelming flavor here is the smoky chocolate malt that lends an excellent balance and dry taste.

Overall, a good stout. The guy at the counter said he thought it was about a 6.5% ABV on this one. It's balanced, dry, and very drinkable. I've not had anything from Listermann's yet, and I'm glad I picked this stout up...nice work.

07-08-2010 00:06:22 | More by movingtrain
phiberoptik

Holy carbonation Batman! I took this out of the fridge and let it warm up for about 20 minutes. I did not move it, I literally put the opener to it and popped the cap off. Psshht... then "smoke"... then volcano! And I mean it continued to slowly foam up and out for about a minute. Spoiled my first taste but it was good...

Pours pretty dark black brown with a lot of light, large bubble head.

Smells of carmel, roasted malts, yeasty bread, and sour cherries. A hint of alcohol wafts around as well.

The bottle says "dry stout" but this is sweet to me. Sweet and sour cherries, burnt malts and bitter dark chocolate in the finish.

Very bubbly but has a nice mouth coat and leaves my inner cheeks a bit dry (maybe thats the dry part).

I am a Listermann's fan and I like this beer. These are good guys who make good beer and offer top notch homebrew products.

07-16-2011 01:37:45 | More by phiberoptik
nlmartin

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

The beer was served chilled in a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: The body of the beer is black. No opaqueness noted to light. A thin light colored head resolves to a thinner layer. No lacing to speak of but the beer looks delicious.

Smell: Darkly roasted and lightly charred malt creates a dry semi sweet coffee and cocoa aroma a whiff of smoke rolls out the back end of the aroma.

Taste: A very solidly darkly roasted coffee and dry semi sweet cocoa combine well with a bit of char. Nice earthy dryness in mid flavor ending in a light kiss of salt.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is just shy of medium bodied. The carbonation is light but works really nicely with the beers character. This is a really solid dry stout. I enjoyed this beer from start to finish.

12-07-2010 14:46:11 | More by nlmartin
cosmicevan

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

big props to mnbearsfan for tossing this generous extra my way. enjoyed from a brooklyn snifter.

a - opened the bottle to a HUGE disappointment - beer EVERYWHERE. the cap had barely popped from the top as the geyser began. explosion!!! i HATE when a beer forces me to clean my floor and my sink and the walls and everything! this was that beer. lesson learned, read reviews first as i see i am not the only one to experience this disaster.

once the drama subsided the brew poured a pewter black with a HUGE head (expected from the geyser) that subsided leaving nary a film of head on the surface of the brew.

s - classic dry stout with a hint of bailey's and lots of chocolate roasted malts. quite nice actually.

t - the taste follows the nose brining that irish dry stout vibe with a hint of bailey's and lots of charry roasted chocolate malts.

m - fizzy and heavily carbonated...not too much, but the feel is definitely fizzy.

o - overall the explosion was a MAJOR turn off but the smell and taste was pretty great. some really nice character in there.

06-25-2012 02:15:46 | More by cosmicevan
rembrant

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Look...Normal black opaque with minimal head but good lacing

Aroma...aromatic with the roasty/coffee part of the malt bill dominant. A touch of some earthy yeast and a bit of English Toffee.

Taste...Good stuff. Not getting much of big sweet or big bitter. Robust coffee with some dark fruit and smoky stuff and a trace of chocolate. Had a Bell's expedition yesterday and by comparison this is less intense,complex and viscous...but this is a Dry Irish,not RIS...and a $3.99 bomber from a small local, so I can't expect it overpowers a world class big Stout. Note-- a later pour seems to add a bit of Port to the flavor,not a lot but some bonus.

Mouth...While this brings a pretty classic stout flavor,the body is a tad to wet and light. A tad more hop finish also could have enhanced a pretty decent brew. As it warmed it did gain a little.

Drinkable...yes,the upside of not being more big,viscous,hot is that it's easier to have that second glass full....which is what I'm about to do.

This is no drama queen,more the girl next door,charming and comfortable,and a bit more fun as she warms up.

10-10-2010 21:04:32 | More by rembrant
ltjska04

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev -22.2%

A- Pours a jet black with barely brown highlights. The tan head settles into a ring around the glass after a few minutes.

S- Roasty is my first impression. Hints of chocolate and dark malt.

T- More roasted barley and a bit of coffee. The finish really falters though. I'm not sure how they make this but the aftertaste reminds me of all my extract brews I made with syrup from their store. Since I'm pretty sensitive to this taste and have encountered it many times it really jumps out at me and kind of ruins the experience.

M/D- I know dry stouts are supposed to be a bit thin but this is thinner than I expected. There's a lingering sweetness that doesn't exactly beg another drink, and I think that may be an extract-like flavor once again. I know Listermann can do better than this.

05-16-2010 19:58:49 | More by ltjska04
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

22oz bottle courtesy of CMitchell. Thanks Chris!

It pours a very dark brown accompanied by a +2 finger and growing head of foam. Hang on, gotta take a sip to get the foam down. There.

Nice fluffy offwhite foam with some good lacing.

The smell has some good roasty notes along with a light nuttiness and a hint of some citrus hops.

The taste is roasted malt on a lighter scale, a nice nutty character, and quite a bit of lemon citrus bring some twang to the flavour. There's some earthy malt here as well. Quite a different interpretation of an Irish Dry Stout indeed as I haven't had one with the citrus as noticeable before. I think a slight tweak to calm down or maybe even remove that twang would make this a better brew.

The body is on the light side and the carbonation is firmly in upper medium territory.

Drinkability? It's an easy drinking Stout and quite tasty so the 22oz will disappear rather quickly. Recommended.

05-06-2010 23:29:27 | More by Bitterbill
mwa423

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Pours jet black with a finger and a half of dark tan head that quickly disappeared without leaving a lacing.

S -

T - Taste is dead on for the style with a thin chocolate and malt flavor, a hint of yeast, and leaves an aftertaste of slight smoke.

M/D - Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but that's not unusual for style. Reasonably drinkable beer even on a mid 70 degree day.

Not my favorite Listermann beer, but certainly a good take on the style.

05-14-2010 22:49:33 | More by mwa423
dschuster03

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Picked this one up this evening at Listermann's via CMitchell while getting some oak chips and random brewing equipment. Always great stopping in and chatting for a few minutes with the brewers.

The appearance is very nice. Dark burnt caramel bubbles lightly lace the side of the glass poured about one finger high and recede to a small but stingy head. The beer is quite dark; super deep brown with an echo of mahogany in the color. On par for style, and leans to the side of a bigger, thicker stout - which i like.

Smell is chocolate, malted milk balls, a touch of "earth," - i'm going to say hay, but maybe that's just because i was out in the yard planting potatoes... in hay - and there's also a slight fruitiness to the beer that adds a nice texture to the smell. The only thing keeping the smell rating down is that it is a little thin on the nose, but not by much.

This is why I don't review beers very often. Because I have to wait for the taste. I'm drinking the beer with my eyes and with my nose and I take forever to figure out what exactly I'm diving into and it's not until after around 10 minutes in the glass and I'm literally salivating to try the beer that I actually get to quaff such liquid gold. I digress.

OK, well shoot. You know those beers where the smell and appearance of the beer make you construct one taste profile and then you drink it and a thousand other flavors come out and surprise the hell out of you? That's this beer. It starts with a nice up-front malty, chocolate taste. Light, as per the dry stout style, but not too light... has a nice champagne-like effervescence that rolls smooth throughout the sip. At the end is where you get that surprise: smoke! Not something I'm used to in an Irish Dry, but there is a great smokey, peaty flavor that really takes the beer over the edge. Well played.

I've got a bomber open here with my girlfriend, and we'll put this one down just fine. Honestly, I could put this thing down pretty quick myself, so I suppose that answers that!

05-11-2010 23:52:04 | More by dschuster03
mazdarx

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

I had to really clear my pallet from all the russian imperials i have drank lately to judge this as the Irish Dry that it is. But once i did i was very pleased.

A: nice dark color, very worthy tan head on it that faded to a nice lace.

S: I picked up on a lot of Coffee and Roasted nuts. My wife was pickin up on some dark bakers cocoa or cocoa nibs. the aroma was interesting.

T: I thought the coffee really came out and some nice roasted grains with a bit of a hop bite. very nicely balanced. my wife picked up on the coffee and roasted cocoa.

M: i was surprised at the body on this. i was expecting it to be heavy judging by the smell but it was lighter than i thought and well smooth rolling off the tongue.

D: The taste and body of this stout are pretty text book for the style. I think it is a well executed beer that i will probably pick up again next time i have a chance. its a summertime stout if that makes sense.

05-18-2010 20:04:54 | More by mazdarx
BayerischBier

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Got this at my visit to the brewstore. Got it actually one week after the beer was bottled.

A: dark brown when you pour it into the glass. It settles with a creamy head and the beer darkens to a dark black. Unclear about the hops in it.

S: Beer delivers a smell flavored with nuts in the beginning and presents a warm toasty flavor of caramel and coffee.

T: It is full of roasted malts and a minor coffee touch. It comes across on the lighter side than expected. The stout is a mix of toasted malts and tasted certainly delicious. The nutty flavor in the smell is not as present as expected in the taste.

M: The beef stout surprises with a medium to light body that presents a thin mouthfeel. As mentioned above, one week bottled did a lower carbonation but it should be fine after some time. The thin mouthfeel diturbs a bit thus you expect something more 'heavy' rolling on your tongue after the first smells of this stout.

D: The combination of full taste and a light body entails a drinkable beer. I recommend to combine it with some smoked fish or salad with bacon and fresh garlic. Start with one/two stouts for the food and close a great dinner with Listermann's IPA.

05-22-2010 07:52:50 | More by BayerischBier