1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cincinnatus 2009 - Listermann Brewing Supply & Mfg

Cincinnatus 2009Cincinnatus 2009

Listermann Brewing Supply & Mfg visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: nlmartin on 01-22-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 36 | Reviews: 33 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by BeerAndBourbon:
BeerAndBourbon

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

A. Pours black with brown edges and a small tan head that dissipates to a thin head.

S. A nice sweet bourbon flavor with roasted bitterness and a caramel/ brown sugar sweeness.

T. Lots of (somewhat harsh) oak with roasted bitterness - not a lit of sweetness going on here. Good, but not great.

M. Medium mouthfeel with some alcohol harshness.

T. Good, but I'd like some more sweetness. A good bourbon barrel stout, but not great.

02-24-2011 02:51:45 | More by BeerAndBourbon

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

07-11-2013 10:49:55 | More by crytion
twiggamortis420

4.43/5  rDev +13%

Many thanks to RocPorterFanatic for this tasty treat! 12 oz bottle pours a dark brown color with a fine-bubbled head. Not much lace or retention.

Nose is big...full of bourbon and chocolate. Kinda like one of those liqueur-filled chocolates you find at Christmas time...if they came in Jim Beam flavor.

Nice and rich with a good balance of bourbon and malty chocolate with a hint of charred wood...maybe with some melted marshmallow that has dropped right off the stick and into the fire for a few seconds. This is the only sample of this beer I have ever had, but I get the impression the beer is drinking at its peak. Very good, Id love for someone to send me one of these again. Thanks Chad!

07-14-2012 23:25:46 | More by twiggamortis420
AgentZero

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

A - A little light colored for an Imperial Stout. The beer is a dark brown with an off-white head that doesn't leave a lot of stick on the glass.

S - Rich bourbon, there's actually quite a bit. There's some decent roasted malt, chocolate, dark fruits and barrel. Nice assortment of stout smells.

T - Pretty good, don't have any real complaints. It's got some chocolate and bourbon with some roast. Nothing exceptional, but the flavors are right and it has good balance.

M - Could stand to be a little thicker. Lower carbonation.

O - Drank a little bit hot, but this was a solid offering that does good but not great with all aspects. Enjoyed drinking it, but wouldn't go out of my way to find another one.

01-27-2012 06:04:54 | More by AgentZero
rodney4130

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Average looking imperial stout,nothing special, but the smell is of strong bourbon...and it smells great.

I tried this beer a year ago, and found it to be hot and unpleasant. Totally different now. Blended very well. Still a touch of alchohol, but it works very well.

Nice and smooth mouthfeel, though nothing remarkable. All in all, a well done beer and one that's benefitted from the aging.

01-26-2012 15:00:27 | More by rodney4130
forummember

Indiana

12-25-2011 02:03:20 | More by forummember
kbutler1

Bottle. Pours a dark brown/black color with a 1/4 inch mocha tan head that quickly settles to collar around the glass. Dark fruit (cherry and plum), with notes molasses, brown sugar, and bourbon. Oaky sweet flavor off the bat with the bourbon slowly coming into play in the middle. The alcohol is there but is decently incorporated. Pretty smooth. Well done IMO. Medium mouthfeel.

10-24-2011 01:08:01 | More by kbutler1
MasterSki

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

Rare barrel-aged stout from Cincinnati - thanks Dave (dschuster03). Served in a Russian River tulip.

A - A half-finger of off-white settles to a thin collar, a few wispy patches, and minimal lacing. Dark brown body that approaches black but is a few shades away.

S - Bourbon, oak, alcohol, raisins, chocolate, roasted malts. Seems significantly hotter than the listed 9.5%, but otherwise it's pretty solid.

T - Taste is a bit better than the aroma, as the booze mellows out quite a bit. Chocolate milk, vanilla, oak, bourbon - a nice collection of flavors, with nice balance between sweetness and roast.

M - Thin body, with medium carbonation, dry and tannic texture, and some definite warming alcohol.

D - The taste is quite enjoyable, but the feel is substandard, and there's excessive alcohol for something this low in ABV. I'd try subsequent batches of this one, but if this is really from 2009 I can't imagine the alcohol mellowing out much more.

10-23-2011 23:50:33 | More by MasterSki
pcradduck

4.83/5  rDev +23.2%

This is one of the best bourbon beers I have had to date, I have had three of them and each one is a treat.

Look: It has a deep black color, even darker than Guinness. No real head, but that is likely due to the 9.5% ABV. The wax covered bottle is a great touch.

Smell: Once poured it releases a very strong bourbon smell with a hint of a chocolate, which is very inviting.

Taste: A very full bourbon flavor, which is why I drink this beer. It is a little harsh (I like that in bourbon beers) and goes great with a nice cigar. It is a good beer to drink slowly and enjoy, not a beer I would just drink quickly.

If you like bourbon you will love this beer, if you don't like bourbon don't drink this, save it for the rest of us ;)

07-05-2011 19:25:05 | More by pcradduck
Scotchboy

Idaho

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle sent by brew3crew. Poured into a large red wine glass.

A: Pours fairly dark and clear, with dark brown showing at the stem of the glass. This beer has some carbonation at least, and the fingers worth of brown head has tiny bubbles.

S: Very vinous and slightly boozy, with raisins and wine characteristics shining through instantly. Can't get much else on the nose as these flavors cover up anything else.

T: Again, bourbon and wine with chalky bitter chocolate at the end. Its a hot boozy beer but not quite a 'mess'. Two years in the cellar might have changed this but I wanted to try the bottle as fresh as I could.

MF: It's pretty good, fairly robust and thick but with the alcohol burn the feel is cut significantly.

O: I could see the dark fruits and wine characteristics shining on this beer if the bourbon flavors and alcohol weren't so preeminent. As it is, its a little too hot to thoroughly enjoy.

06-27-2011 14:59:05 | More by Scotchboy
joshrosborne

2.03/5  rDev -48.2%

Purchased two bottles of this from the store itself. Both of them had the exact same problem.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

Absolutely no head or sign of carbonation. Looked a lot like a cup of coffee; pitch black. The bourbon was present, along with a bit of roastiness. Mostly bourbon, though.

The taste is very, very hot. Almost like bourbon was mixed with the beer instead of being aged in barrels.

Without carbonation, the mouthfeel is obviously terrible. Two bottles of drainpour; super disappointing.

I would say almost every single aspect of this beer would be improved with carbonation. Normally I wouldn't even consider reviewing a beer based on this, but two bottles with the same problem seems like more than a coincidence.

06-22-2011 20:54:56 | More by joshrosborne
notchucknorris

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottle courtesy of brew3crew

A: Pours black with a thin tan head that quickly turns into a ring around the top.

S: Big bourbon aroma with some prune, vanilla and a touch of caramel.

T: Pretty similar to the smell. The bourbon is big, but I can tell that it's mellowed. Fresh, this would probably be way too hot. I don't get a lot besides the bourbon and a touch of vanilla. Maybe a hint of caramel on the finish and some peat. A bit of heat as it goes down makes it feel higher than 9.5%. Mouthfeel is sort of slick without being syrupy. It still feels a tad thin at times though. Not the best out there, but I'm really glad I got to try this one.

05-26-2011 22:50:12 | More by notchucknorris
davacano

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

I was able to get a few bottles of this from a friend living in Cincinnati. I am very partial to Bourbon barrel aged beer and this is a doozy. The nose screams bourbon and there is a definitive alcohol burn.

There are vanilla and burnt notes on the tongue but the mouthfeel is a little thin. This could very well do better with some bottle age on it.

05-05-2011 01:53:15 | More by davacano
Vdubb86

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

Served in a snifter

2009 Vintage

Thanks to boxcar01 for this obscure stout

The offering pours a deep dark cloudy brown that in the glass appears on the lighter side of pitch black, but brown towards the bottom of the glass. There is a tan creamy foam on the surface not more than a 1/2 finger though. There is an interesting aroma to this. There is dark chocolate, vanilla, sweet caramely bourbon, and hints of leather. It's rather nice to smell. The taste has many of the aromas mixed together, but that bourbon comes on really strong and followed by a creamy vanilla. It reminds of a lighter black russian perhaps. The mouthfeel is a touch boozier than I would have liked and it leads to this being an ultra-sipper, but overall I enjoy drinking this beer. But it may be a one and done for me.

03-24-2011 22:40:27 | More by Vdubb86
DavoleBomb

2.68/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured into a snifter. 2009 vintage.

3.0 A: Black color. I only got about a half finger of head, which fell almost instantly. I think it was tan in color.

3.0 S: The nose is dominated by bourbon, but is weak overall. Wood, leather, and vanilla and fortunately no astringency and minimal booze. The underlying stout is lacking. The roasted barley is barely detectable and there isn't much else aside from a bit of caramel.

2.5 T: The taste is a lot bolder than the nose, but again the stout fails to match up with the bourbon. Bourbon and barrel contribute a hefty booziness (which tastes closer to 12% than 10), aggressive oak, leather, and some peat. There's more roastiness than in the nose, but there aren't a lot of other "stout-like" flavors. There's no chocolate, no coffee, and no dark fruitiness. Rather, this is mainly bourbon, a bit of roastiness, and some caramel.

3.0 M: Medium to heavier medium body. Carbonation is a bit lower than I'd prefer. Could be both smoother and creamier. The bourbon makes this a bit rough around the edges.

2.5 D: My scores might be a bit harsh, but I didn't enjoy this much. The nose was weak, the stout taste was weak and the bourbon was harsh, and the carbonation was a bit low. A bourbon aficianado would probably like this more than I have.

03-23-2011 03:03:22 | More by DavoleBomb
chcfan

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Big thanks to my brutha, Steve in the 'Nati who's been shopping there for homebrew supplies for years.

More of a really dark brown than a pitch black. The tan head took a look around and decided it didn't want to stay.

Very clean aroma of bourbon and some licorice.

Those both are present in the taste, which is pretty good. I was expecting it to be a little more boozy. Smooth for 9.5%.

More thin than I like or expect from an AIDS.

Strong beer overall. I'm looking forward to trying some more Listermann beers.

03-17-2011 01:57:58 | More by chcfan
ltjska04

3.28/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into my snifter, this beer is black with dark brown highlights. The brown head appears for a minute but quickly sinks to a ring around the glass. Upon first sniff I'm getting a lot of licorice. Woah, it's like opening a bag of Twizzlers! There's a bourbon undertone with some vanilla that's kind of fruity. A bit of a woody smell in there too. It's pretty different than I'm used to. Interesting!

First sip says bourbon to me. It glides silently across my palate then ninja vanishes, leaving only an alcohol-tinged wisp of figurative smoke in its wake. That's really all I taste at first is bourbon. Some vinous, dark fruit flavors make an appearance here and there but this is all about the bourbon; kinda one-dimensional.

The mouthfeel is thin for an imperial stout, not at all thick or chewy. Seems like the finishing gravity is low, but what do I know. When cool the beer glided effortlessly from the glass to my stomach, but as it warms some prickly alcohol impedes the journey, taking little stabs at my tongue on the way through. Once it reaches it's final destination in my belly things start to warm up from the alcohol which becomes more noticeable. I'm not going through this as quick as I thought and I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to drink another. There's some potential here; I have another bottle I'll set aside for a year or two and see how things develop, but as it is the bourbon is overpowering and the base beer doesn't exactly hold its own.

03-12-2011 03:45:01 | More by ltjska04
Christman

3.88/5  rDev -1%

I love how fresh this brew is, because they make and bottle it right down the road. I also like the presentation (wax seal? awesome) - i know that doesnt go too far when it comes to whats IN the bottle. But it doesn't hurt the overall arrangement. As for the beer, i found it a rather drinkable Imperial Stout... it has a decent ABV... but it didn't have much of an 'alcohol' tang, and went down very smooth. The downside to this brew was that it was a little thin and not as robust as others in this genre. Which i suppose is the trade off - drinkability for body? Thats not always the case obviously... but I commend them for their effort and would drink this again. Nice job fellas.

03-11-2011 16:50:21 | More by Christman
phiberoptik

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

12oz bottle, picked up at the shop. Waxed top took a little work to get into but at least it helps me know the beer is going to be free of any outside air. Due to our lack of sufficient glassware, we poured it into two white wine glasses. Pours a root beer brown. Thinner than I expected, with a little sandy tan head.

Defiant bourbon in the nose along with raisins, caramel, and you can almost taste a sweetness in the back of your throat from the smell. You get the alcohol in the nose as well.

Holy bourbon! This beer resembles a watered down Manhattan. There is no surprise that you get a warming tingle in the throat from the alcohol. I get some malt notes as well, but holy bourbon. Its taking over my taste buds but I am perfectly ok with it.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery. I expected a bit more substance to it, but it does leave some nice legs on the glass and has just a tiny bit of resiny feeling on my tongue. The heat in my throat doesnt go away but its pleasantly warming.

For me, the drinkability of this is one and done, BUT not because I dont like it. Its strong, delicious, but at $5 a bottle and I only bought two... haha this one is getting savored right now and the other one is cellared for a while. For me personally, I try to avoid any buzz from alcohol and this one will give it to me if Im not careful.

Thank you for brewing a hometown beer I can seriously be proud of! IMO the only reason this beer doesn't have an average rating in the A's is because it doesn't have a nationally known name behind it. Hopefully one day...

03-04-2011 23:59:45 | More by phiberoptik
fishnuttoo

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%

L: Pours a deep dark brown/ black color, tan lacing on top.

S: It has a bourbon, raisin, chocolate, smell that i quite enjoy!

T: Sweet start, then roasty with caramel, chocolate, and of course the bourbon, which is spot on...

M: smooth, but not as creamy as i had hoped. No lacing, not as carbonated as others in this style.

D: very drinkable, flavors meld well, wish i had another...

overall nice beer, flavorful, tasty, strong bourbon taste, not overdone. Needs more carbonation, but I would buy again..

03-04-2011 04:27:16 | More by fishnuttoo
KYBrewgrass

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

A- 4 Poured a pitch black color with a 1/4" tan head that disappeared through the center but remained around the rim. A smooth, bubbly layer of lacing is very uniform as it slides down the edges of the glass in one perfect sheet. Very appealing... I downgraded this from a 4.5 because after the beer sat for five minutes its head disappeared entirely. It then looked like a flat Coke.

S- 4 Dark, roasted malts and especially bourbon dominate the smell. There's almost a candy-like aspect to this as well; seems that it will be a sweet one.

T- 3.5 The bourbon taste is even stronger than its smell. That's ok, except I don't get much of anything else. Its a little malty and a little boozy. A bit of chocolate sweetness finishes it off.

M- 3 This stout is on the medium-full side. It was well carbonated and smooth at the onset, but after five-ten minutes it all seemed to disappear. It was nearly flat at that point. From then on it was slightly syrupy and definitely boozy.

D- 2.5 I keep dropping the scores as I move through this review. It's disappointing because its look and smell had so much promise after opening the bottle (which had appeal in its own right, with white wax sealed over the cap ala Maker's Mark). Maybe it went flat because it is was bottled in 2009? I think the premise of this beer is solid, but something went wrong. It ended up being unbalanced and while I'd like to try more of Listermann's brews, it'd be hard for me to recommend this to someone at the same time.

03-02-2011 13:55:25 | More by KYBrewgrass
kzoobrew

Bottle courtesy of brew3crew. Cheers Jason.

2009 vintage, 900 bottles produced.

Poured into Stone IRS glass. Body is opaque and black. On appearance alone the body seems to be lacking some viscosity, Three and a half finger frothy oatmeal colored head works its way back leaving a half finger cap lingering. Patchy lacing is left clinging to the walls of the glass.

The initial aroma is really impressive. The a caramel, vanilla and oak from the bourbon really shines. The bourbon aroma overall is smooth and well integrated. A heavy dose of chocolate lays just behind the bourbon. Subtle licorice and roasted malt round out the aroma.

The flavor is well balanced but may lack some depth. The sweeter flavors lay heavy on the front of the palate. Caramel, chocolate and vanilla are rather rich. The bourbon flavors become more apparent on the midpalate and back. Slight heat noticed at the end though it is a pleasant warming heat. I like what Cincinnatus has going on, I wish there was more of a roasted characteristic to provide a bit more depth.

Full bodied and creamy Imperial stout. The carbonation is very fine and exists at a low but appropriate level. The initial observation of this beer lacking some viscosity was correct. While the slight lack in body does not hurt the beer a fuller body would certainly improve thing.

Cincinnatus is a bit of a sipper though a pleasant one. The lack of depth I desired in the flavor hurts the drinkability slightly as things tend to get a bit sweet. Outside of that I am hard pressed to find major points of concern. Very enjoyable and winds up being quite drinkable for the style. Not going to be the easiest one to find, but worth a look if you do.

03-01-2011 01:47:47 | More by kzoobrew
jefferz5000

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

Like many others, I want to thank CMitchell for this unsolicited treat.

Pours an opaque black with generous, light tan head. Tiny bubbles rapidly make their way to the surface for a while once poured.

The aroma on this is quite nice and doesn't hold back. The sweet bourbon really stands out, but doesn't smell boozy. Hoping the flavor mirrors the aroma.

This is a nicely done barrel-aged stout. Instantly I notice how smooth it is and the flavors are well meshed. Deep and roasty with a good amount of bourbon integrated. Some sweet vanilla and toffee. A bit of heat on the finish, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Medium to heavy mouthfeel, and I like that. Very smooth with moderate carbonation.

This is a good BA imperial stout. I could drink a 12oz bottle without much effort, but anything beyond that in one sitting might be pushing it a tad. I think that's the case for many big beers.

02-24-2011 02:21:10 | More by jefferz5000
dschuster03

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Hooked up with this one from my man CMitchell. Always in the clutch.

White waxed bottle pours into my snifter a deep reddish brown, almost black. Deep tan head, close to caramel in color dissipates into a slight ring of retention that sticks around for the long haul. Pretty standard for the style, although the head could be a touch bigger.

Let this one warm up in the glass a bit.. it's got some oak, bourbon, chocolate, even a little sweet honey. The aroma even reminds me to that of a Dark Lord as it has a deep currant, plum-like nose that emerges as the beer warms up in the glass. Really well balanced and very fitting for the style.

The taste certainly doesn't disappoint. Light on the carbonation, this has a full bourbon taste without the bourbon overdose I get from something like a Bourbon County Stout. Some of the other reviews of this beer hint that the beer is hot, but I'd have to disagree. Maybe an extra month or so in the bottle to cool off a little did the trick. On top of the bourbon, I get light smoke, some caramel, vanilla, a touch of dry tobacco and a nice distant deep fruit on the finish as it rounds out. My only negative is that the beer does drop off the radar a little bit right at the end. Or maybe that's a good thing - leaves you wanting more!

The Cincinnatus is terribly drinkable, and the folks sharing the beer with me would attest to that as well. Great offering from a local brewer. I'd love to see even more of this in the future as these guys continue to grow. Always top notch beer from their crew in my book. Keep up the good work. Cheers!

02-22-2011 15:52:36 | More by dschuster03