Bar Harbor Gold - Jack Russell's Steak House / Maine Coast Brewing Co.

Bar Harbor GoldBar Harbor Gold

Jack Russell's Steak House / Maine Coast Brewing Co.
Maine, United States

American Blonde Ale |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-16-2005)
Reviews by deltatauhobbit:
deltatauhobbit

Maine

1.33/5  rDev -48.4%

I'm not sure what was wrong with this beer, but the taste was a bit off from the usual Blonde Ale. Way too sour and fizzy.

I initially had this beer on-tap at Jack Russell's Restaurant (where Maine Coast Brewing Company is). When I first tasted it, I knew something was wrong, the carbonation was all wrong and the beer had a very "stanky" taste. My assumption was that the keg was contaminated.

I then bought a six-pack right from the restaurant to give it another chance, hoping that the batch they had on tap would not be the same batch bottled. It ended up tasting just as bad, leading me to believe it's just not good.

Eventually I will go back and try it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke. If and when I do, I will update my review.

Update: I've tried this two more times (just to torture myself), and the result is just as atrocious. Avoid at all costs or dark thoughts will leak into your head.

12-07-2007 01:52:35 | More by deltatauhobbit
ppoitras

3.6/5  rDev +39.5%

12oz bottle from a Xmas gift sampler of Maine brews from my friend Joe. Thanks!

Poured into an imperial pint glass, excessive foaming. Once it calmed down, it had formed an airy 1 1/2" eggshell head above golden brew. Lacing is spotty light foam left here and there. Aroma is light sour citrus over pale malts. Taste starts with slight sweet malt character, but is quickly and easily overpowered by tart citrus notes. The sour may be due to the age of this product (summer seasonal, so probably 9 months from brewing, easily), but I think actually has somewhat endeared me to it. Mouthfeel is reasonable if you can appreciate the tartness, and drinkability is excellent. I am sure this is a totally different beer fresh, but I don't mind it in this condition either.

03-16-2005 22:22:46 | More by ppoitras
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.05/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a white, three-finger head that goes quickly and leaves traces of lace. Clear amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Musty hoppy nose. Starts with some bite, I agree with other reviewers this has a sour, corky taste; still a clean finish. Nothing like any blonde I have had. $1.83 for a 12oz bottle from Maine Coast Brewery Bar Harbor, Me.

09-15-2005 22:14:23 | More by jdhilt
GarthDanielson

3.01/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured on-tap at Jack Russell's, the beer was served in a shaker pint. The beer is a copper-gold coloring with a tall, frothy, chunky, off-white head. Nose of toasted grains and subtle floral highlights. Flavors are light and buttery, with a cracker backbone, creamy highlights, floral tones, and a peppery-spiced hops end-feel. Sharp, peppery aftertaste on a watery body, with a slick, spiced finish that's almost sharp.

08-23-2013 02:20:50 | More by GarthDanielson
jbsteiny

Hawaii

2.93/5  rDev +13.6%

Got a bottle of this at the Jack Russell's restaurant adjacent to the brewery (and owned by the brewer). I put it on its side in a bag with some other stuff, and when I got to my destination, it had leaked out from under the bottle cap. What's up with that? I assume that means the beer was oxidized, but I'm not sure how that affected the taste...

Poured a fairly clear golden straw with intense carbonation -- big foamy head left a lace on the glass which quickly dissipated. The nose had a hop element which was like flowers that were past their prime and a light malt sweetness to it. Pleasant, though; I don't mean to make it sound disgusting -- the aromas were too faint to be overwhelming.

Tasted okay -- a honey sweetness up front with yeast fruityness and floral hops filling it out, before it dissipated into a clean finish -- but not flavorfull like I hope a blonde is. I think it's a tough style -- the Belgians have ruined it for us. Actually, I think the finish on this is almost like a lager, which is too clean for my taste in ale.

Way too fizzy for my taste, and the bottle had sat in the fridge for hours after I transported it. The thinnish mouthfeel was way dominated by the excessive carbonation. I could drink a few of these, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Would be a decent choice for a cookout or something of that nature.

07-09-2007 06:19:56 | More by jbsteiny
Bar Harbor Gold from Jack Russell's Steak House / Maine Coast Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.