Samuel Adams Winter Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Winter LagerSamuel Adams Winter Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Samuel Adams Winter Lager is a dark wheat bock. Bock beers are traditionally strong dark lagers.

This beer is a lager, and hence not a Weizenbock (an ale).
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Winter Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,907 | Hads: 5,507
2.36/5  rDev -35.2%

Consumed 1/17/12

Appearance: Extremely clear, dark copper - small, white head - some lacing

Smell: Cooked malts, lager yeast, and spices - like, a ton of spices - ground, dry spices, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg? - some citrus - out of place with the other aromas - overall, pretty mild, but pretty unappealing

Taste: I just don't get it - cooked, caramel malts, a little syrupy - sweet, but in a cooked way - a lot of bitterness without any hop flavor - just an unpleasant orange peel flavor - too much cinnamon, ginger, and an overall , generic "spice" - seems more appropriate for a pumpkin ale, not a bock - grainy, leafy, earthy, unpleasant

Mouthfeel: Medium body, somewhat dry, with a lingering spiciness

Overall: For me, this just doesn't work

In late 2006, I received a few bottles of this from someone who didn't like it. This was one of the first craft beers I ever had, and I thought it was terrible. At some point in 2008, I tried it again, and I didn't like it. In 2012, I still don't like it. The difference now is that I have a better idea of why I do not like this.

2.38/5  rDev -34.6%

Appearance: amber in color
Smell: Malt aroma
Taste: a LITE LAGER in a BOCK, no body, or flavor
Feel: lite in carbonation
Drink: I wouldn't buy this beer, but as it became less cold (warmed up) it had more of a taste...but not what I expected.

I really prefer Lagers or Darker brews (porters or stouts), but this just didn't hit the spot. (ales are out also...I do try them but, thats another story) I do not like to rate beers I try any lower than a C-.
I will give another BOCK a try, the description sounds as though it would taste GREAT, but Samuel Adams Winter Lager fell short of being an example. I see that my average rating for this review was
a D+, I didn't intend for it to be quite that low. I stand by my statement above, at the worst it is a C-, no lower.

2.38/5  rDev -34.6%

Got out of the winter mixed pack 2010.

A- Very dark cherry read in color, with a thin pool of head on the top.

S- The smell is slightly hoppy with a touch of fruityness mixed in. To top it off someone decided to pour in some American Macro Lager into my beer, or at least the smell of one.

T- The taste is malty, a bit of dried fruits a touch of caramel which is all thrown down the drain when the taste of American Macro Lager comes into the mix.

M- Feels like a typical American lager, not so much a Bock though. Most Bocks I've had are lower in carbonation.

D- Would be a good cross over beer for the die hard American Macro Lager types.

2.41/5  rDev -33.8%

Best by: Apr, 2012

A: orange brown with a transient finger of light tan foam which falls to a central cap and no lace. Excellent clarity.
S: Cinnamon, sweet malts....orange zest? Some decent dry tones of toast.
T: Sweet and cloying. Too sweet. Some more orange zest tones. Almost wish this was dry and with saison yeast. Finish has a hint of metal.
M: Thin with lower carb and a wet finish.
O: Well, not the worst winter I've had, but not the best either. I will likely not revisit.

2.41/5  rDev -33.8%

A: Pours a very clear reddish amber. The finger width off white head dissipates a little but doesn't completely disappear. Looks nice, at least.

S: Malts foremost, with some hints of spice and alcohol.

T: Malts are noticeably present and it's a very crisp taste, but it's also rather bland. I'm not detecting what I had expected. There is something a little metallic to it when first poured, but that disappears as the beer warms, bringing out more of the hops and definitely the spices. I may have to let this one sit a few minutes next time.

M: Pretty crisp and light as one might expect from a lager. A little heavier than most lagers, but still goes down clean. Dry finish.

D: Nothing would prevent easy drinking except for my dislike of the taste. I could have multiple, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

2.43/5  rDev -33.2%

Appearance: Perfectly clear deep copper. Borders on brown at times. Head is white and drops to almost nothing. Pour was smooth with a decent carbonation.

Smell: Caramel and biscuits with a grassy undertone. Sweet and bready. Serious bread action, like moist brown bread. Faintest hint of hops add a mild spiciness. Very mellow and unassuming.

Taste: Malts and more malts. Bread, biscuit, and caramel all over a faint spiciness. Grassy and gritty. Flavors never really blend together, but fight and come across in waves. As it warms it takes on an aggressively bready, almost yeasty quality. Watery at times.

Mouthfeel: Moderate, but barely. Carbonation is on the high side. Drinks pretty smooth, but packs a slight rough edge on the finish of each sip.

Overall: I remember my first encounter with this beer. It's much the same now. It's a mess when it warms. When it's super cold it's drinkable, but as it warms it falls apart and becomes a watery mess.

2.43/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into a large snifter

Appearance: This beer pours a transparent brown and red color. The head rises to an inch in height and is an ivory color. The bubbles are all tiny and quickly fade away into the beer below.A tiny bit of lace holds on to the glass.

Smell: Malt aroma balanced by a hop bouquet. Rum and raisin are aromatic components. I don't get much wheat from this wheat beer. Spices include a bit of anise and licorice perhaps.

Taste: Pinchyness up front with a hop bite. Malt flavors are intertwined with a wheat flavor and body. Flavors are hops, wheat, nut bread, almond extract and vanilla. Most of these are weak though.

Mouthfeel: Ripe carbonation that hits early and faces into a medium bodied creaminess that most lagers possess. Alcohol isn't very noticable and neither is a sugary presence. Kind of lame in this category.

Drinkability: Decent, although I probably wouldn't refer to this beer in the winter. I wouldn't even consider it a good beer, with so many others out there that surpass it. Don't bother revisiting.

2.46/5  rDev -32.4%

Ok, I can't get with this brew. Looks great in the glass, but the flavor was off-putting to me. I found an odd sourness to the taste, especially the finish. Maybe it's the added flavors I wasn't digging. I'm obviously in the minority, but this beer just didn't work for me.

2.48/5  rDev -31.9%

Lightly toasted skunk with a hint of generic hopping and a nip of spicing. Very weak nose though.

Super bready/toasty, adjuncty, skunky (it's fresh though). Just a hint of spiciness, at least partly from the hops. Watery. Very flimsy body, I wouldn't even call it "light". No kudos for this one, Samuel Adams. And yes, I like the bock style in general and I am very pro-lager, this just falls short.

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

I just tried this for again without tasting anything prior to skew the flavor and I can honestly say that this is entirely too insipid for my taste. It really does taste like a weird waffle syrup of some kind without the sugar. It needs som e hops quick. Jeez, more often then not I'm finding I'm not a big fan of Sam Adams' offerings.

2.52/5  rDev -30.8%

This was a bock?

Sorry, but it tasted pretty much like every other Sam Adams I've had up to this point (with the exception of Cream Stout, still good!). For a moment I'll expand on that because it needs to be said. The mouthfeel was a bit thicker than standard lagers, but overall I never got the feel that I was drinking a bock.

Goose Island has consistently put out bad tasting beer. Sam Adams has put out some decent beer, but it all starts tasting the same after a while.

2.53/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Samuel Adams Winter Lager

A - Standard coloring for a lager

S - What I would expect from a Winter Lager. Nothing special

T - This beer has a medicinal taste. It left a sharp unpleasant after taste

M - Not much carbonation, a very flat feel.

O - I would not recommend or get this beer again. I poured most of this beer down the drain.

So far Sam Adams just does not do it for me. The only one of their beers I liked so far is the Octoberfest.

2.54/5  rDev -30.2%

FRESH: 5 months before exp.
PURCHASED @: Hilander
COST: $7.50
HEAD: 1" slowling disapating
LACE: medium formations
COLOR: ruby copper
AROMA: Sweet lager
MOUTHFEEL: light / foamy
PALATE: slick / resinous
TASTE: Bitter Brass, too much going on for me and the overall impression wasn’t all that great either
COMMENTS:Just because you can put a bunch of spices into whatever it is you’re brewing doesn’t mean it’s a good idea

2.54/5  rDev -30.2%

A- It had a nice burnt amber copper color. The head was small and weak, leaving rather quickly. Not appreciable lacing.

S- It had a spicy, hoppy aroma. Kind of weak, but present.

T- Mainly cinnamon. Decent hop appearance after the initial strong cinnamon. Left a bitter hang.

M- Light bodied with good carbonation.

D- Drinkable, but not for me.

Note: In all fairness this is not a type of beer I usually drink. My ratings are on the poor side, but they're definitely skewed due to my preference of stouts and porters. Maybe a great beer if you enjoy this style. Worth a try. Certainly not a favorite of mine.

2.54/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a decent one finger head that dissipates in about two minutes leaving a delicate ring of lacing behind. Color is a clear ruby amber.

S - Rice lager odor and then a caramel sweetness with a bit of dates in the mix. It is faint and not that good.

T - Strong grain presence, seems part rice, part barley, it is a little unpleasant, others might not mind it, but it isn't quite the flavor I hope for in a beer like this. There isn't any real spices decernable, maybe a touch of fruit cake syrup . . . is that a spice? There is a lingering sweetness in the aftertaste with just a touch of bitterness underneath it.

M - Froths in you mouth to a nice level. Without the frothing, the viscosity is a little thin. A fairly refreshing brew though.

D - This is drinkable, although I would certainly prefer other beers to it. Would work well with some foods (Christmas goose perhaps?). I don't want another really, I don't know what it is, but I don't like this beer much at all.

2.55/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance clear. Reddish brown, slightly evident carbonation, thin off white lacing.

Smell: not much there, slight yeast, some watered down maltiness, and the faintest bit of cinnamon.

Taste: tastes like a pretty basic, unrefined american lager with a bit of extra malt and some lingering Christmas flavors.slightly metalic

Mouthful: thin body Medium carbonation. Slightly watery.

Overall. Even with low expectations, this Beer dissapointed.

2.56/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a deep amber. Good amount of carbonation ... in fact, it's a bit on the seltzer-y side.

Smell is pretty much nonexistent. Maybe some faint malt? This is classified as a "bock?" Where's the rich malty aroma?

Taste is light malts, some spices (cinnamon? nutmeg?). There's some sweetness beyond the malt ... maybe honey or molasses. Tough to tell since this isn't an overly flavorful beer. Pretty much lightly flavored carbonated water.

Decent, quaffable, but nothing to write home about. For the price, I can find dozens of better brews available a few feet away.

2.56/5  rDev -29.7%

Pour gives a fading head to a collar over a amber/ruby hued body.
Aroma is weak, not very lofty, just has some meak malts.
The flavors are all spiced up, all of the spices noted on the bottle are detectable. Orange zest, cinnamon, the ginger adds a bit of zing to it. The Malts balance out the spices. not a big fan of how these spices come together though, mostly the ginger i think.

2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

Color is much like their Boston Lager, amber leaning to brown, with maybe a little more red than orange, topped by a nice creamy head.

Smells of “winter spice,” some wheat, and heavy on molasses, making me think I was in for a bigger mouthfeel and taste than what I got, which, frankly is not nearly as good as the Boston.

Though pleasantly carbonated, all in all I found this variety to be a little thin. The flavor is lacking – it gets real close to being average, but somehow misses the mark for me.

2.59/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle

A- As I pour the deep amber beer the fizzy head fills 1/2 of the glass. The beer is crystal clear with an average amount of bubbles rising throughout.

S- Wheat, slight hops, toasty.

T- Strong wheat taste. It has that macro thinness. A hint of spices and peppery notes.

M- Very plain and flat.

D- It was okay but probably not again for me.

2.62/5  rDev -28%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had tried this beer once previously, about 2-3 years ago, but unfortunately I don't really remember my impression of it then. But I'm sure it wasn't as bad as this time around. Read on...

The beer poured a very hazy orange, making look almost like apple cider. There was a decent head but not much in the way of head retention.

Things improved in the aroma department, where I detected some spice, and fruits that reminded me of apple and banana. A nice aroma profile for a winter beer.

I found the flavor to be much more disappointing, however. First of all there really didn't seem to be sufficient flavor for a winter beer. It seemed thin, without any "warming" properties, and the flavor seemed to further thin out mid-pint. Furthermore, there was a tartness in the aftertaste that I found to be unpleasant. This tartness served to negatively impact the mouthfeel.

I don't know if this was a bad keg or what the story was. I was quite surprised by the flaws in this beers. Normally Boston Beer makes products that, at the very least, don't offend.

2.63/5  rDev -27.7%

Served in a standard pint. Deep brown body with a slim creamy head, moderate laceing.

Scent is malty and a tad spicy, with possibly some caramel hints.

Flavor is not all there in my opinion. Some malts, and a touch of something sweet like gingerbread, but it just seems lacking. No hop character. A very thin flavor.

2.64/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours a rich, deep reddish-amber color, with a thick, creamy sand-colored head that clings to the side of the glass. The aroma is largely just a thin graininess, but there are subtle notes of sweet malts and a dull earthy hop presence underneath. The flavor is more defined, with a sweet caramel malt base contrasted by a bit of earthy, peppery hops, but it all just seems a bit stale. The added spices are not distinct themselves, but they instead build on the dull earthiness of the hops. The mouthfeel is fine, but it doesn't do anything to prop up the dull, dreary flavor profile. Overall, I finished every bottle of this beer from the winter sampler pack, but I didn't particularly enjoy them.

2.64/5  rDev -27.5%

A - Pours a deep ruby with two fingers of off white head. Leaves decent lacing.

S - Corn adjunct ( weird ), slight cinnamon, and even slighter ginger. The nose is definitely lacking for a Bock.

T - Some weird adjunct up front for a split second, followed by a good amount of orange and wheat. Extremely slight malt and no hops present. A very solight ginger makes it's way in to the finish. Pretty one dimensional to be honest.

M - Extremely heavy body, with heavy carbonation. So heavy on both parts that it almost makes you choke.

O - Overall, I expected this beer to at least be " good ", but it disappointed me, as it was pretty much a slighty up-flavored cheap lager. I would not buy it again. Hell, I've had adjunct's with a better mouthfeel than this.

2.65/5  rDev -27.2%

Clear brown pour with nice head. Scents of very light spice and cherry. Aside from the light sweetness and hint of spice, this was watery in flavor in that there was not much. Mouthfeel was pretty standard, as was drinkability. Overall this particular beer was not all that great, but I'd drink it if someone bought me one.

Samuel Adams Winter Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)