Samuel Adams Winter Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Winter LagerSamuel Adams Winter Lager

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.60% ABV

Samuel Adams Winter Lager is a dark wheat bock. Bock beers are traditionally strong dark lagers.

This beer is a lager, and hence not a Weizenbock (an ale).

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Winter Lager Alström Bros

Anthony21014, Nov 09, 2014

dunn4040, Nov 08, 2012

chasmandocharles, Nov 19, 2011

swooshjtb, Dec 04, 2011

whallgren, Nov 24, 2011

imperialking, Jan 23, 2012

acdcsmith22, Jan 25, 2014

I've had a twelver of this sitting next to my fridge since early December and I haven't even opened it until now. All I can really ask myself is Why?

Pours nice and pretty. Dark amber with a very tight head and good lacing.

Smells crisp and rich. Kind of like a cider upfront with mild malt more present as the beer warms up.

Very rich taste of crisp fruit upfront, apples and plums, but that flavor gets destroyed but an absolutely wonderful creamy chocolate malt and fades into warmer spices. Really nice.

Smooth up front and creamy in the back, great mouthfeel.

This beer is going on sale everywhere now that Spring is getting ready to be sprung, and I might just grab a couple more 12 packs to hold me off until November.

mynie, Feb 08, 2005

AceMan, Nov 28, 2011

reaktion, Feb 24, 2013

Clear bronze color. Beautiful head leaves sheets of lace behind.. The smell is toffee malts, caramel, and a hint of hops. The taste is big-time caramel malts resting on a medium body. Drinkability is superb, and it was nice to try this on-tap after Groundhog Day. You can't go wrong with this one..another good offering from Boston Beer Co.

hero27, Feb 07, 2006

The first time I tried this beer it was from the bottle and I hated it, ug, it was nasty, definitely a bad bottle, and it took me a long time to try this again. It was on tap at an Applebee's, and I really didn't see any beer that was striking me, so I tasted it again. I'm glad I did. I do like it, one of the better Sam's.

Looks inviting, warm dark golden color, fluffy head that dissipated quickly. Some lacing, though not much.

The smell was warm, the infused spices came through immediately, not strongly but noticeable presence of nutmeg and, faintly some other christmas spices.

I love the taste, it is also very drinkable, not at all overly spicy as i was afraid, but slightly, just hints, and it was biscuity, malty, well rounded. Mouthfeel I would say is around average for sam beer, good carbonation, substantial

treble, Nov 29, 2008

gigoat, Mar 02, 2012

archero, Oct 22, 2012
4.01/5  rDev +11.7%

A - Nice big 2 finger white frothy head with a bunch of tiny bubbles. It poured out crystal clear mahogany and left average lacing on the glace.

S. - On the nose I get a nice light spicy malt aroma. It comprises of a nice bready, ginger/cinnamon hint.

T - It comes across somewhat sweet with a beautiful caramel flavor on the back end as the beer warms. It also has the nice sweet spiciness to it, which kinda reminds me of a ginger bread cookie. Really smooth with no alcohol bite to it at all.

M - The mouth is a slick chewy full to medium bodied beer. It is delightful with the right amount of carbonation to it.

O - A great winter beer with some warming qualities to it. This lager is clean crisp and quit satisfying all while being one that I could drink a few of. This will be one, I will look forward to in the colder months for now on. Give it a try you will not be disappointed, Cheers!

DrinkMoreBigBeers, Jan 12, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Served on tap in a tall beer glass.

Appearance: Reddish amber with a thin off white head, thick leaving.

Smell: Mild smells of malts and carmel.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of malts and light carmel. Some peppery notes as well.

Overall: Average winter brew. I always enjoy a few every year.

Cavanaghty, Dec 22, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Fairy clear, reddish brown look with a light tan head that poured thick and lingered the whole way down.

S: I smelled a bit of grapefruit, apricot and some spices that enticed me to move to the next step.

T: Rich taste, thick maltiness early on and finished with a reminder of the grapefruit bitterness from before. Spices throughout added a good balance.

M: Medium bodied feel with some good smoothness to it and a crisp finish.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. At smaller bars that don't have a big selection, this is a top pick for me. I can, and have, enjoyed this beer for a whole night.

mdunman, Jan 08, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Nice amber full bodied lager.. a bock, not sure if it's that style but fairly close. Malty,toasty nose excellent Belgian lace. Sweet in the start and balanced in the finish. Creamy mouthfeel, pure pleasure hard to fault this beer. Not overwhelming alcohol, so also highly drinkable.

bierman2000, Dec 26, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

12 oz bottle poured into pilsner glass...only one clean!

A--Lovely pour. Assertively poured, which produced a nice tight creamy head. Burnt red...clear with lots of carbonation. Decent lacing as I go.

S--Nice carmel maltiness. Wheaty--subtle banana and holiday spice. Sweet, with mild yeasty sour.

T--Smooth, mild malt chased by a roasted malt taste and crisp hop balancing bitter. Spices not as pronounced in taste as in scent. Definitely more malt than anything.

M--Warm and smooth, but crisp and easygoing as well.

D--Not too bad at all!

larsee01, Nov 09, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Samuel Adams Winter Lager has a very thick, foamy, beige head and a clear, reddish-brown, somewhat bubbly appearance, with heavy lacing left on the glass. The aroma is quite faint, but maybe one would pick up some slight breadiness and fruit. Taste is also subdued, but the drinker can detect sweet, light-brown bread, some nice bitterness, and an underlying fruit and spice. Mouthfeel is medium, and Samuel Adams Winter Lager finishes semi-dry, smooth, and drinkable. Overall, this is a very good beer, and I figure it’s worth checking out.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Nov 22, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance is fantastic with a tan-orange-ruby red hue and a huge 1" tan head off of a strong pour. Laces very well and is a very appealing look.

Smell is of malts, caramel, and holiday spices. Mixes very well and entices you to expect a lot from this brew.

Taste is an amalgam of different things. Orange, coriander, holiday spices, touches of wheat and grain alcohol all combine to create a very light and ethereal flavor that pleases.

Mouthfeel is creamy from the head and then crisp and clear when there's no more head to lend it some creaminess. Finishes clean and is a pleasure to drink.

Drinkability is rather excellent, it's hard to stop drinking this brew and I'm able to savor every last drop and look forward to this beer being re-released every winter.

xare, Apr 21, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Clear, dark red and amber with a brownish hue. Light beige head with okay lacing, nice retention, wonderful clarity.

S: Spiced lager with a decent hop presence and a big blast of roasted malt. Brown sugar is detectable, along with some caramel and grains; mostly corn.

T: Surprisingly refreshing and forward for a lager, this beer is hoppy and malty at once with spices lingering in there. Middle is slightly bitter, but it doesn't carry over to the finish, which is sweet and buttery with that brown sugar hint really hitting home on the way down the throat.

D: Definitely drinkable. Possibly my favorite Samuel Adams beer so far. Excellent fall/winter beverage.

Value: For once,I don't mind spending 8 or 9 bucks on a sixer of Samuel Adams.

WeezyBoPeep, Nov 04, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

I was a bit disappointed to see little to no head as I poured it into my pint glass. What little head there was did leave behind a little bit of lacing, so I have hope for it on draught.

The color was perfect. A deep caramel with a hint of amber. Exactly the way I like my beer to look in a glass. The initial smell didn't impress me much, and lowered my expectations for the taste.

I really like the taste of this beer as well. There's a hint of their traditional Boston Lager to it, but with a touch of citrus and ginger. Very tasty.

Drinkability is pretty good. Light enough that I could have a couple before feeling too full.

All in all, a pretty darn good beer.

ShaneBertou, Jan 08, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice copper color. A little head that disappates quickly.

S - Very light amount of spices. Not much there.

T - It makes me think of ginger snaps. The ones that come in the orange box and have a lot of spice. Some cinnamon and nutmeg.

M - Great. This beer just attacks your senses with a ton of spices.

D - Really good, I can sit back and drink a couple of these.

jeffmonarch, Dec 04, 2007
Samuel Adams Winter Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)