Samuel Adams Winter Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Winter LagerSamuel Adams Winter Lager

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Samuel Adams Winter Lager is a dark wheat bock. Bock beers are traditionally strong dark lagers.

This beer is a lager, and hence not a Weizenbock (an ale).
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Winter Lager Alström Bros

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

A: The pour produced little to no head, which if any did dissipate quickly. The color was a dark amber, and almost brown.

S: The smell was very rich in hops, with light tones of cinnamon.

T: The taste, was one of my favorites for the winter season. I tasted a little bit of an orange peel, but overall the beer was just a fairly dark wonder of joy.

M: The beer was fairly silky, and left you wanting another drink.

D: I rated the drinkability low on this beer, mostly because of the seasonal aspect of it. During the hot summer months this would not quench my thirst.

Overall, great beer, and another solid attempt by Sam Adams, although I think some of my local breweries do it better. I highly recommend this to you and yours, as always, Cheers.

3.51/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a bottle into Boston Lager perfect pint.

A-I think the appearance is my favorite part of this brew. It pours a beautiful rust/brown color with a straw-colored head with ok lacing.

S-Hops and darker malts dominate the nose. I sense a touch of spice and fruit, but both are faint.

T-Not as much spice as I was expecting, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The malts are very upfront with a slight dry hops finish.

MF-On the thinner side for a Sam Adams.

D-This is a decently drinkable beer, I could easily drink two or three, but not terribly quickly. Not a session brew for me, but a nice beer to sit down and enjoy over a conversation.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.66/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice copper color with bright amber highlights. Accentuated by a rocky, antique white head that dissipates quickly, leaving ample lacing on the glass. Nice clarity for such an amber beer. The aroma is fruity, mildly tart with a familiar lager scent, but does little to conjure the spirit of winter. The flavor follows the nose, finishing with some mellow spice and faint toasted grains. Without the hints of ginger and cinnamon, this would be quite pedestrian. Sam lists orange peel as a special ingredient, and might help explain the fruity tang that the beer conveys. The caramel malts and spices do mesh well with the Noble Hops, delivering a harmonious brew. Rather inoffensive and easy to drink. The mouthfeel is medium-thin, with effervescent carbonation that awakens the gentle flavors. Not as rich as my ideal bock, but tasty nonetheless. Like many Sam offerings, it's a nice gateway in to bigger, bolder things. I would certainly not turn my nose up at this beer if offered, but I'm unlikely to ever seek it out. Especially with so many other superior seasonal offerings widely distributed. Stock this at a holiday party and it's sure to be a hit with some casual beer drinkers.

Edit: I actually had a holiday party, and found that I ended up drinking a lot of these myself. I kept coming back to it for the smooth, easy drinkabiIity and pleasant flavors. I've revised the score up a little to reflect the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed it and have developed an appreciation for for this subtle spiced lager. Perhaps I will seek it out again.

4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

served on tap a flying saucer

appearance: crystal clear amber/brown. whiteish head that leaves some lacing but disapates quickly to a film.

nose: malts. some xmas candies. yeast. more malts.

taste: some candied apple sweetness. maybe a hint of hops. a major toasty biscuitiness in the finish.

mouth: kind of chewy. with a fairly dry finish.

drink: not too bad. smooth going

4.23/5  rDev +17.8%

Well, this is my first review on here even though I have been a member for a few months and have been checking out ratings. I'm kind of new to the in depth look at beer. I liked Winter Lager enough to write a review.

A - Dark Amber/Copper/Reddish color and when poured right leaves an inch or two head that stays for a good amount of time.

S - Not very good at this but malty as far as I can tell.

T - Love it, definitely can taste malt and a cinnamon after taste.

M - Don't exactly know what to write here but it feels good although not the best I have ever had so I gave a 4.

D - It is good. Not heavy enough that I couldn't have a few but not light enough to make me need 20 to be full.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

2.77/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: this is a dark amber colored beer with some transparency, not much head on the pour, and it sticks around for a little bit afterwards. This is not what i remember from previous yrs, but i'll take a swig.

Smell: i can smell the alcohol when i first put it under my nose with hints of malt and hops. This doesn't smell too appetizing.

Taste: A very earthy taste, i can taste nuts and the malt. Alcohol finishes it off.

Mouthfeel: very little carbonation, and not very thick beer, which makes for a good combination.

Overall: this is very disappointing. I was expecting more out of this brew. I remember really enjoying it last yr, and this is not what i remember.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%

Samuel Adams Winter Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)