Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Reviews by buffettfan:
3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle, into a nice slim tupip glass.

This beer surprised me. I have always enjoyed Sam Adams brews. They aren't normally excellent, but they are almost always good.
This has become one of my favorites from them. A nice smooth, very drinkable beer. Always good to have some of this in the fridge when the weather starts to cool down.

Sam Adams Octoberfest.

I'll probably catch a lot of crap from the beer snobs but I expect it to be overridden by mass adulation from the people in my area (boston) for how high I rate this, and granted my views are skewed by a nostalgic feel this beer gives me, but I think this is a tremendous Americanized interpretation of the classic German Marzen for which it’s styled after. I don’t have a lot of other beers of this style to compare it to so maybe it’s the absolute bottom feeder of it’s class, but we’ll overlook my naivety and just focus on the beer itself.

One of Sam Adams more popular seasonal brews Octoberfest pours a dark ruby red that softly fades into a medium bodied copper. Poured at a finger and a half head into an Octoberfest styled dimpled beer mug (thanks Michele) my nostalgic side takes over as the summer humidity is immediately sucked from the room and the crisp apple picking morning fall air is ushered in in a zephyr of fall winds with the falling autumn leaves dropping at my feet, Glorious!

Beer has a chewy citrus to toffee flavor that finishes thick and sticks to the pallet and throat. Tastes like a 1 pm Sunday afternoon football kickoff…. Or a caramelized sugar coated and pan fried pear chased with heavy malts.
Smell is similar and quite appeakling

To me this beer *IS* fall. Popping open a can or bottle of this closes the door on BBQs and beach parties. Days at the pool and drenching humidity and ushers in football, leaf raking, frosted morning windshields and hoodie weather.

Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

A- Dark ruby red as Sam Adams says on their site. Had a frothy, 1 finger head that died. Head was rocky and pillowy. Egg shell colored head.

S- Big malts. Toffee like sweetness, toasted notes. Brown bread crust.

T- Light hop presence. Toffee like sweetness. Toasty. Has graininess as well. Lightly fruity.

M- Medium on the body. It is crisp clean and refreshing. Not quite as dry as American lagers.

Overall you can tell that your drinking an American interpretation of the classic fest beer from Germany. It's got standard Octoberfest flavors, but with a bit more hop presence and a fruity taste. Not bad at all, but not one I need to rush out to get this fall.

1.73/5  rDev -52.9%

Dug this out of an icy tub at a party; it was swimming in a sea of Bud and Michelob. Saved! thought I, but... wrong was I. This had all the aromatic charm of a Coors Light, which is to say it smelled like socks, and all the taste of beer made with the finest corn and rice that money can buy, only it doesn't *have* any corn and rice in it. This is about as close to a Marzen as cold oatmeal. Given the options, I may have had better luck with the Michelob. Boo.

4.22/5  rDev +15%

was pleasantly suprised byt how authentic it was.Nice malty flavor and good color.I like most Sam Adams products.

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance – Nice, light orange body with a big head that held on long and laced the glass.

Smell – Lightly toasted malt in accordance with the style.

Taste – Smooth, creamy, lightly burnt malt flavor. There’s a little caramel touch at the end, but mostly just the smooth, easy, malt taste. Excellent rendition of the style.

Mouthfeel – No carbonation and very creamy.

Drinkability – This went down quickly, which is the telltale sign of a good Oktoberfest beer. When I lived in Germany, I used to drink these warm on tap (the bartender would warm it with a heated tool dunked in the beer specifically for that purpose), and they would often go down after just three or four gulps. I wasn’t trying to chug the mug, but they were just that smooth.

Comments – I drank this at room temperature, and it was very reminiscent of the Oktoberfest beers that I had in Germany. Excellent example of the style.

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

A: Amber color with a medium-sized off-white head that leaves some lacings.

S: Malts, fudge, lots of bready aromas, floral and leafy hop notes.

T: The taste is somewhat sweet with notes of bready malts, fudge, grains and floral hop notes. Some earthy hints as well. The finish is gently bitter with notes of grainy malts and leafy hops.

M: Moderate body, medium carbonation.

D: A decent beer. Quite tasty and easy to drink. Not the most interesting style, though.

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

First Octoberfest of the year for me. Appearance is deep copper, with a white frothy head. Smells of malt and very light hops. Taste is a bit watery, but very balanced in flavor. Caramel and malty with a subtle spiciness. ABV is okay @ 5.7%.

Overall, this one leaves a little something to be desired. It seems like SA Octoberfest is a year-to-year thing, sometimes hit or miss. You can always count on this one for a good session beer for the season, though not my favorite by far. I'm a hops guy.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

3.64/5  rDev -0.8%

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)