Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,071 | Hads: 7,101

This is one of my favorite, if not favorite beers, copper colored, sweet malty, a great balance of malts to make this beer have a nice body, smells amazing, my only complaint is that I wish I could get this year round, the best oktoberfest beer out there

Sam Adams Octoberfest is the perfect beer for Autumn for me. Its a very well crafted beer in my opinion. I've had Sam's Octoberfest mostly in bottles or on tap. There's not too much of a difference between the two but on tap is better. I'd like to try the can soon but not really in a rush to. For me, Sam Adams Octoberfest is one of the few beers I get excited for when its released in "season". So much I like to buy in bulk and store it for months after when its Alpline Spring time or even Summer Ale of the next year.
Appearance-wise it has a golden brown color to it when poured. Almost like if they were to blend Autumn leaves into their beer. Very distinctive and easy to spot for me. Just a good sign my favorite season of Fall is around the corner.
Smell-wise it has a very malty German lager smell to it. Very malty and sweet with a hint of bitterness to it. Very well balanced.
Taste-wise Sam's Octoberfest has a lot of German influences in it. Full, malty, ecstatic for the taste buds, and with a hint of bitterness. To me just a perfect beer that tastes great and goes down very smoothly.
In the mouth its very refreshing and malty with a hint of bitterness while leaving you wanting more. Very smooth and full.
Overall Sam Adams Octoberfest is one of my top 5 beers. Its not for everyone but it will always be a favorite of mine and god help it if it stays in my fridge.

One of my favorite seasonal beers. The smell and taste remind me of fall and it is so smooth to drink. It pours a copper color with lacing left on the glass as you drink it. A smooth beer that reminds me of fall. The finish of the beer is so smooth. I look forward to this beer every year.

I haven't had a Sam Adams I haven't liked. This beer continues the tradition. It is fully flavored, complex, has a great smell, and it truly brings me back to what made me fall in love with craft beers, I am a real fan of octoberfest/ pumpkin beers and this is at the top of my list! Thanks Sam!

Look: light, slightly orange-y Caramel color
Smell: caramel, very light hops
Taste: lightly malty flavor, sweet but not too sweet, hops perfectly balance the beer
Aftertaste: can definitely taste the malt with the aftertaste but it doesn't linger terribly long
Overall: I always eagerly anticipate this beer release in the fall. It is my favorite octoberfest brew. I am so looking forward to this years release!

I dont think there can be better. Felt the hint of fall in the air and cracked open one. Ahh just like last years flavor. Almost like dinking that Fall feeling. Sweet flavor of spices and a very pleasant lingering after taste. Thumbs up Sam!!

I love this brew. It has a dark caramel color with medium carbonation and light lace all the way down. The smell has a nice balance of sweet malts and hops. This is a smooth beer with a light mouthfeel which leads to a superb drinkablility. I highly recommend trying this brew you will definetly not dissapointed!

One of my favorite beers. When September rolls around I am going from store to store waiting for it to hit shelves. This beer is perfect for almost any time, drinking sitting on the porch in the cool air or enjoyig a slice of pizza with a nice glass at your plate's side.

Avery nice offering from SA. The beer style is very sessionable and fairly complex as well. I enjoyed every moment of the six pack playing texas hold em with the family.

A- Nice white head with lacing. Amber orange color that looks like the autumn leaves on the bottle. Heavy carbonation.

S- Hops, malt, ....just pleasent and well balanced.

T- Starts of with a nice malt charcter followed by a hop bittereness. very well balanced.

d-very nice for the style

One of my favorites ever, and perfect for fall Sunday Mornings

Each one tastes like another

My biggest complaints: it's not as easy to find as I'd like, and I can't drink more than 12 without the bar running out, getting the "over served" lecture etc

4.93/5  rDev +34.7%

First off .... I do believe they change the recipe every year, I go through several cases every year. The 2010 Octoberfest was the best they have ever made and the 2011 was not as good!

Some other reviews said it has a citrus quality, thats wrong!

Malty, caramel, with harvest flavors; pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, clove, allspice.

4.92/5  rDev +34.4%

Call me a sucker for a mass produced Octoberfest, but this brew is awesome! Great color, great malt nose and flavor. This brew is a favorite among malt heads. Spaten is drier, Ayinger is malty yet one dimensional. Sam Adams seems to hit on all cylinders. I buy this beer and cellar it throughout the year. "Never leave home without it!!!!"

4.9/5  rDev +33.9%

Appearance - Amber caramel-like with a cm of head that disipated quickly. Beer looks very rich.

Smell - Very fruity aroma, simply an amazing smell. Hard to tell what fruit the smell is, but it is very rich and delightful.

Taste - Milder lager, slightly fruity with no bitterness. Leaves a mild, smooth fruity aftertaste. Very delightful to the mouth. Leaves a tingly sensation in the mouth afterwards.

Drinkability - A fine beer with no aftertaste makes this a delight. Can't wait to finish the rest of my 6-pack.

4.9/5  rDev +33.9%

Possibly my favorite beer! Although as a seasonal beer, I wish they could be a little more consistent! The first year I tried it (3 or 4 years ago) It was by far my favorite beer, but it hasn't been quite as good the last couple seasons. Still a great beer though!

4.87/5  rDev +33.1%

I have always have had disappointing experiences with Sam Adams Brews, but this one is an exception. This is the best Sam Adams Brew I ever had, and is on par or better then the German Octoberfest equivalents. I have been to Germany, actually lived ther for 2 years and this beer i as good or better then any German brew. A good representation of this style

I wished they brewed this year round.

4.85/5  rDev +32.5%

This beer pours a smooth brown color leaving a nice head. The taste is a truly tasty carmel maltiness which makes my malt loving mouth genuinely pleased. Drinkability? I've been pounding these bad boys for the past three weeks and I haven't lost my love for em yet.

4.82/5  rDev +31.7%

The feel, the taste, the smell...unbelievable. The bottle and look might leave a bit to be desired, but the great taste will more than make up for that. Compared to most Octoberfests, Sam's has a far smoother taste. A bit of bite to it, but not overbearing. I look forward to the fall for two reasons, football and this beer!

4.8/5  rDev +31.1%

This is probably my favorite of all brews and I look forward to it's return every year (and just as I was starting to drop a few pounds!) Poured a very nice clear golden amber with a 1/2 head that lasted quite a while. Light lacing that clings throughout the drink.
Medium mouthfeel with nice carbonation, leaves a clean taste with just a hint of the spices.
Very light spice smell with a touch of hops.
For me this is a great session beer and if you haven't tried it you're missing out!

4.8/5  rDev +31.1%

This is not only the best Marzen I've ever had, but one of the best beers I've had as well. It's biscuity, got some sweet booziness to it, and plenty of malty goodness, but it's as easy to chug down all night as it is to sip slowly. It's also got barely enough hops to balance out the flavour, which I think is great for the style. It's only problems is that maybe it's a little too sweet and sticky and got a little bit of a weird aftertaste. But everything else about it is really great for the price.

4.77/5  rDev +30.3%

This brew is most attractive with it's fall time golden orange hew. The most aromatic drink on the face of the planet. My sense of smell is non existant, while this brew emits a wonderful scent that even I can smell. The flavors go on and on. I can't identify what they are, but they are great. I could drink these all thru the autumn. In fact, I probably will. This beer is not to be missed and definately savored for this season. Highl, highly recommended.

4.77/5  rDev +30.3%

Great color, pours well.

This is a solid example of a "Sam Adamsized" brew--this beer is decidedly an Octoberfest, and unquestionably a Sam Adams.

Pleasing nose, nice complexity for the price. Amazing drinkability. I consider this one of Sam Adam's best, nearly on-par with a few of the "major" craft brews.

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

I have to say I have been and will always be a big fan of this brew. It's become a staple in our fall traditions to sit around a fire or go to a party and always make sure we have a few cases of this to go around. With that said...

A: Darker Amber colored with a nice fall hue to it.

S: Very malty with a hint of spices.

T: There certainly is a sweet malty taste to this brew. This years seems to bit a bit maltier and sweeter compared to last. Spices also kick in along with a bit of a hop finish to balance out this brew. Is this screaming fall or what???

M: Good mouthfeel. Somewhat heavier but not overbearing for the season. This is how autumn should feel AND taste!

D: Again like I said before this one holds a special place in my heart. I could drink many of these in a sitting or pair it with the right foods at dinner. I think thats why I rate this one so high. It tastes good, easy to drink, and
I can pair it well with some many foods and deserts. It's almost a go to beer for me this time of year.

I will always consider this one to be an excellent brew.

4.74/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This was part of the Fall seasonal variety pack at a wholesaler (yay for fall beer styles!). I had high expectations for this beer because of the brand and prior experience. Sam Adams Octoberfest did not disappoint!

A - poured from the bottle with a very tiny head, maybe 1-2 cm at most. The color is just gorgeous, a brown similar to that of Jack Daniel's whiskey.

S - a complex smell that seems to have a little "more" than other oktoberfests. There is everything that I expected from a traditional oktoberfests but with an increased sweetness and spiciness that differentiates it from other beers. Just taking a whiff of this makes me want to down the whole thing!

T - that spice noted in the smell comes through in the taste, as do the hops. There is a hint of sweetness similar to caramel which brings a nice balance to it.

M - this is a full bodied beer that is perfect for the Fall's colder weather. There is a very satisfying feeling of drinking something substantial and hearty.

O - great beer to enjoy during the fall. I would recommend picking up the Sam Adams variety pack at wholesaler; you can't beat the price. $1.05 or so for each bottle, including this wonderful brew, is a great price and well worth every cent.

4.73/5  rDev +29.2%

Color is a dark orange amber. Clear not cloudy.

Smell is sweet with slight hints a maple, caramel, and malts.

Taste is sweet also. Very carbonated. The flavours of caramel, and maple quite evident in each sip.

An easy feel to this brew makes it one of the better beers to drink.

This beer has always been one of my favorite brews. I like to hold onto a few after they have stopped brewing this beer and bring out a bottle or two in the spring. I really like the fall feel to this beer. The best flavoring for my pallet.

4.73/5  rDev +29.2%

I remember drinking this at the airport Max and Erma's. After drinking a tall glass of it, i immediately became hooked on it. When i got back from Europe, the first thing i did was pick up a six pack of this and nearly drank the whole thing in 2 days. The appearance had a nice dark orange hue to it. The smell had a presence of caramel. Taste is amazing, i could drink 5 of these in one sitting if possible. This is definitely a beer i can get along with. cheers jim! :)

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)