Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,054 | Hads: 6,984
4.93/5  rDev +34.7%

First off .... I do believe they change the recipe every year, I go through several cases every year. The 2010 Octoberfest was the best they have ever made and the 2011 was not as good!

Some other reviews said it has a citrus quality, thats wrong!

Malty, caramel, with harvest flavors; pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, clove, allspice.

4.92/5  rDev +34.4%

Call me a sucker for a mass produced Octoberfest, but this brew is awesome! Great color, great malt nose and flavor. This brew is a favorite among malt heads. Spaten is drier, Ayinger is malty yet one dimensional. Sam Adams seems to hit on all cylinders. I buy this beer and cellar it throughout the year. "Never leave home without it!!!!"

4.9/5  rDev +33.9%

Appearance - Amber caramel-like with a cm of head that disipated quickly. Beer looks very rich.

Smell - Very fruity aroma, simply an amazing smell. Hard to tell what fruit the smell is, but it is very rich and delightful.

Taste - Milder lager, slightly fruity with no bitterness. Leaves a mild, smooth fruity aftertaste. Very delightful to the mouth. Leaves a tingly sensation in the mouth afterwards.

Drinkability - A fine beer with no aftertaste makes this a delight. Can't wait to finish the rest of my 6-pack.

4.9/5  rDev +33.9%

Possibly my favorite beer! Although as a seasonal beer, I wish they could be a little more consistent! The first year I tried it (3 or 4 years ago) It was by far my favorite beer, but it hasn't been quite as good the last couple seasons. Still a great beer though!

4.87/5  rDev +33.1%

I have always have had disappointing experiences with Sam Adams Brews, but this one is an exception. This is the best Sam Adams Brew I ever had, and is on par or better then the German Octoberfest equivalents. I have been to Germany, actually lived ther for 2 years and this beer i as good or better then any German brew. A good representation of this style

I wished they brewed this year round.

4.85/5  rDev +32.5%

This beer pours a smooth brown color leaving a nice head. The taste is a truly tasty carmel maltiness which makes my malt loving mouth genuinely pleased. Drinkability? I've been pounding these bad boys for the past three weeks and I haven't lost my love for em yet.

4.82/5  rDev +31.7%

The feel, the taste, the smell...unbelievable. The bottle and look might leave a bit to be desired, but the great taste will more than make up for that. Compared to most Octoberfests, Sam's has a far smoother taste. A bit of bite to it, but not overbearing. I look forward to the fall for two reasons, football and this beer!

4.8/5  rDev +31.1%

This is probably my favorite of all brews and I look forward to it's return every year (and just as I was starting to drop a few pounds!) Poured a very nice clear golden amber with a 1/2 head that lasted quite a while. Light lacing that clings throughout the drink.
Medium mouthfeel with nice carbonation, leaves a clean taste with just a hint of the spices.
Very light spice smell with a touch of hops.
For me this is a great session beer and if you haven't tried it you're missing out!

4.8/5  rDev +31.1%

This is not only the best Marzen I've ever had, but one of the best beers I've had as well. It's biscuity, got some sweet booziness to it, and plenty of malty goodness, but it's as easy to chug down all night as it is to sip slowly. It's also got barely enough hops to balance out the flavour, which I think is great for the style. It's only problems is that maybe it's a little too sweet and sticky and got a little bit of a weird aftertaste. But everything else about it is really great for the price.

4.77/5  rDev +30.3%

This brew is most attractive with it's fall time golden orange hew. The most aromatic drink on the face of the planet. My sense of smell is non existant, while this brew emits a wonderful scent that even I can smell. The flavors go on and on. I can't identify what they are, but they are great. I could drink these all thru the autumn. In fact, I probably will. This beer is not to be missed and definately savored for this season. Highl, highly recommended.

4.77/5  rDev +30.3%

Great color, pours well.

This is a solid example of a "Sam Adamsized" brew--this beer is decidedly an Octoberfest, and unquestionably a Sam Adams.

Pleasing nose, nice complexity for the price. Amazing drinkability. I consider this one of Sam Adam's best, nearly on-par with a few of the "major" craft brews.

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

I have to say I have been and will always be a big fan of this brew. It's become a staple in our fall traditions to sit around a fire or go to a party and always make sure we have a few cases of this to go around. With that said...

A: Darker Amber colored with a nice fall hue to it.

S: Very malty with a hint of spices.

T: There certainly is a sweet malty taste to this brew. This years seems to bit a bit maltier and sweeter compared to last. Spices also kick in along with a bit of a hop finish to balance out this brew. Is this screaming fall or what???

M: Good mouthfeel. Somewhat heavier but not overbearing for the season. This is how autumn should feel AND taste!

D: Again like I said before this one holds a special place in my heart. I could drink many of these in a sitting or pair it with the right foods at dinner. I think thats why I rate this one so high. It tastes good, easy to drink, and
I can pair it well with some many foods and deserts. It's almost a go to beer for me this time of year.

I will always consider this one to be an excellent brew.

4.74/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This was part of the Fall seasonal variety pack at a wholesaler (yay for fall beer styles!). I had high expectations for this beer because of the brand and prior experience. Sam Adams Octoberfest did not disappoint!

A - poured from the bottle with a very tiny head, maybe 1-2 cm at most. The color is just gorgeous, a brown similar to that of Jack Daniel's whiskey.

S - a complex smell that seems to have a little "more" than other oktoberfests. There is everything that I expected from a traditional oktoberfests but with an increased sweetness and spiciness that differentiates it from other beers. Just taking a whiff of this makes me want to down the whole thing!

T - that spice noted in the smell comes through in the taste, as do the hops. There is a hint of sweetness similar to caramel which brings a nice balance to it.

M - this is a full bodied beer that is perfect for the Fall's colder weather. There is a very satisfying feeling of drinking something substantial and hearty.

O - great beer to enjoy during the fall. I would recommend picking up the Sam Adams variety pack at wholesaler; you can't beat the price. $1.05 or so for each bottle, including this wonderful brew, is a great price and well worth every cent.

4.73/5  rDev +29.2%

Color is a dark orange amber. Clear not cloudy.

Smell is sweet with slight hints a maple, caramel, and malts.

Taste is sweet also. Very carbonated. The flavours of caramel, and maple quite evident in each sip.

An easy feel to this brew makes it one of the better beers to drink.

This beer has always been one of my favorite brews. I like to hold onto a few after they have stopped brewing this beer and bring out a bottle or two in the spring. I really like the fall feel to this beer. The best flavoring for my pallet.

4.73/5  rDev +29.2%

I remember drinking this at the airport Max and Erma's. After drinking a tall glass of it, i immediately became hooked on it. When i got back from Europe, the first thing i did was pick up a six pack of this and nearly drank the whole thing in 2 days. The appearance had a nice dark orange hue to it. The smell had a presence of caramel. Taste is amazing, i could drink 5 of these in one sitting if possible. This is definitely a beer i can get along with. cheers jim! :)

Poured into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint Glass

A: Beautiful amber is the first thing that pops out as this brew is poured. Nice sized head that leaves behind a good amount of lacing.

S: Great, malty smell with a hint of fruitiness. Smells perfectly of fall.

T: Wow! Autumn to a tee. A sweetness and spiciness blend perfectly together on your palate with a bit of a hop finish. Perfectly balanced. The perfect combination of five different kinds of malt.

M: Perfect amount of carbonation. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel.

D: I could easily put away a few of these, and drinking one will make you want another right away. It's that good.

It's truly a shame that Samuel Adams Octoberfest is only a seasonal beer. A true triumph. After only one bottle, it instantly became second favorite beer behind Boston Lager.

4.72/5  rDev +29%

I drank Sam Adams Octoberfest in a 24oz bottle and also the 12 ounce bottle. I think that the 24 oz bottle was a lot more enjoyable and had a better finish to it.

Sam October has an impeccable smell which helps with the drinkability, this beer is hard to keep in my glass. I have tried a lot of different octoberfests because it is one of my favorite styles and I think that Sam's Octoberfest is exemplary. One of the best on the market.

4.7/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This for me is the best Oktoberfest style beers I have ever had! The appearance of this beer is an amber color. The smell is a hint of malt, but mainly focused on the spicy noble hops that are used. The taste of this beer a noble hop spiciness with a delicious malt back bone. This beer is very drinkable and yet has a lot of flavor going for it. Great beer by Samuel Adams.

4.7/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours an amber orange. A 2 finger head that is tight and has excellent retention. It stayed at a 1/2 inch for a solid 7 min before I took a drink. Thick rings of lacing left behind.

S - Caramel malt, doughy bread, toasted malt, lightly nutty.

T - Rich caramel, fruit dipped in toffee, hints of brown sugar and cotton candy, some lager yeast in the background. Subtle hops add a faint spice note and cuts some of the sweetness.

M - Superb! Medium body, soft a creamy.

This is my favorite fall beer. It is almost perfect. When I think of fall this is the first thing that pops into my head. I honestly don't know how anyone could not find this beer full of glorious flavor. I wish they sold this year around.

4.68/5  rDev +27.9%

Everyone I know knows that I am a huge nerd for Sam Adams beer and an even bigger one for their Octoberfest. I wait for it every year and jump up and down like a schoolgirl seeing Justin Beiber when I see the first case in the store. It's like finding a super rare card in a back of baseball cards when I find my first SA Octoberfest.

That all being said, I am going to try, TRY to rate this objectively.

When poured it has an absolutely stunning deep orange/red color into the traditional Sam Adams glass. Decent head, even if it is gone too quickly and good lacing on the glass. The dry notes in the back are a perfect counter to the malt taste in the front and the spice in the middle. Aroma is mild but not to the point of non-existence, and the bouquet of fall season comes out the more the beer is sloshed around in the glass. A wonderful flowery note on the top of the aroma. The carbonation is high, but the beer is pretty full bodied so it doesn't make the beer too soda-y. I have had a ton of Octoberfests over the last few years, and yet every year this is the one that defines the season for me. A wonderful, wonderful beer.

4.68/5  rDev +27.9%

I'm not sure what it is about this beer, but I have a great affection for it. It's probably something to do with the fact that when I first came to the US from England and discovered American beer wasn't just all Budweiser and Miller, Sam Adams was the first good beer I was introduced to and then shortly afterwards when the Octoberfest seasonal was released for that year, it really was an exciting time as the realisation dawned that here was a whole new continent of beer waiting to be discovered. The gateway to a new world indeed.

I have sampled many great beers since then and continue to do so, and yet Sam Adams Octoberfest continues to be one of my favourites.

Like the ornithologist who spots the first migrant birds arriving, every year around this time it lights up my day when I spot the familiar orange packaging on the otherwise bland Central Florida supermarket beer aisle shelves. Every year I buy a case and consume it over the next few months, and then I forget about it again until about this time, when once more I enjoy the clean, crisp, refreshing taste that makes this beer.

I think this would probably be my session beer of choice if I was forced to nominate one. It's a beer I could just go on drinking forever, quite easily. A simply fantastic creation.

Incidentally, I first spotted this beer at the end of August this year, which is the earliest I recall, as I normally notice its arrival sometime in September. No complaints here though. None at all.

4.67/5  rDev +27.6%

I hate to admit it but when I got these in the other day.....first week of August I was a little disgusted since there's still another month of summer, but I couldn't resist. It's my favorite beer, and although I would have preferred it on tap, I had to have it.

4.67/5  rDev +27.6%

I finally tried a Sama Adams Octoberfest last Thursday, and it looks like a orangish-amber looking color. It has a smell of carmel malt, pumpkin, and molasses. It's low to medium on the APV side, which is very good.

This beer is not real bitter, but it's not real malty either. When drinking it, I tasted the pumpkin, the molasses, and the carmel mix together.

This is one of the many Sam Adams beer that I will drink again.

4.65/5  rDev +27%

This beer pours a golden color with a thick, fluffy slighty tan tinted head. The head goes down slowly, leaving many thick laces.

This beer boasts a rich and sweet malty caramel aroma. It also has a slightly bready aroma. It has a mildly spicy hop aroma as well, but it is mostly dominated by the malts.

This beer tastes exactly like it smells. The malty aroma is a little less prominate in the flavor, but it is still pretty much matching the aroma.

This beer is smooth, and very crisp and refreshing. It leaves a sweet malty aftertaste. It is perfectly carbonated.

This beer would probably make a great session beer. Good, mild flavors, and relatively low alcohol make it a perfect choice.

Overall: I like this beer. Some might say that it is not extreme enough, but I enjoy its subtalty. I always buy this one this time of year.

4.65/5  rDev +27%

Appearance - Reddish copper color, little bit of head and some nice lacing.

Smell - Sweet and toasty malt smell.

Taste - Nice clean taste, sweet malt taste.

Mouthfeel - Sweet, malty, crisp.

Drinkability - I love this beer, it is what Octoberfest is about, good beer. Held on to a few of these from last year.Last one :(

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)