2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Reviews: 1914

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,949 | Reviews: 1,914 | Show All Ratings:
drinkiusmaximus

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

A- pours a clear amber with a small head which recedes quickly.

S-slightly malty and cidery like liquid candy apple.

T-sweet malts, crisp apple and a caramel notes linger.

M-light to medium nice carbonation which makes it crisp.

D-drinkability is nice could have more than a few of these.

Prost!!!

08-22-2010 01:16:33 | More by drinkiusmaximus
elgiacomo

Georgia

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

12oz bottle, fresh 2010 batch.

Pours clear copper amber with a one finger fizzy white head that doesn't leave much lacing but holds a solid ring and light cap.

Aroma is muted caramel and toasted malt, a little nutty and musty.

Flavor is some toasted malt, caramel, fairly sweet, something on the finish I can't quite put my finger on, medicinal is the best I can do, but whatever it is isn't very appealing. Lotta sweetness in the finish too, almost sugary.

Medium body, oily, a bit sticky, fizzy carbonation.

A little too sweet, a little too meh...

09-06-2010 01:14:15 | More by elgiacomo
KoG

Nevada

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured a copper color with an average head that dissapated quickly leaving good lacing around the glass.

The smell was rather disapointing for an Octoberfest and seemed somewhat bland with slight hops and malt evident with a spicy tinge.

The taste was adequate. Caramely and malty with a hint of alcohol and spice, but a little too sweet. Aftertaste reveals a spicy yet piney taste that lingers for a moment then dies.

The mouth was rather smooth leaving a warm sensation in the throat and on the tip of the tongue, possibly due to the decent amount of carbonation.

As far as drinkability, there are others that I would reccomend first. The spicy nature overwhelms the tastebuds and may need to be toned down before I would drink it regularly.

09-22-2004 06:58:55 | More by KoG
Generik420

Indiana

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

After all the hype surrounding this beer, I was sorely disappointed when I got to try it at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati. I found this beer to be a very average beer and was left wondering why there was so many forum posts lauding this as the best Oktoberfest beer. Other then the color of the beer, nothing else about it would make me believe this was an Oktoberfest style beer, and I would be more apt to call it a generic dark beer. Color was a medium to dark brown with a thin head. I found the beer to seem somewhat watery and very light in terms of mouthfeel. Aroma had mild hops, and the flavor was much the same. All in all, a pretty average brew that doesn't live up to the hype. I regret to say, this was the worst beer I had at the Oktoberfest but was the one I was really looking forward to trying. It was 'OK', but nothing I would go out and buy to stock my fridge with.

09-18-2006 19:54:59 | More by Generik420
mobud

Delaware

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

A friend gave me a six of this beer. Used a shaker glass to sample.

A: Nice dark copper color witha light head that disappers quickly. The beer was very clear and clean.

S: A malty sweet smell is the main note with a slight burn element behind it.

T: I felt a heavy malt flavor in line with the style.

M: Very light with the malt taste lingering afterwards. Some carbonation is noted, but the lightness of the body leaves almost instantly.

D: I did not mind this beer. It seems to be a good starting point for someone who can not handle the complex nature of real fest beers. If I gave my friend a Hacker Octoberfest, I don't think they would like it as much. With so many fest beer out there, this should not be your first purchase.

11-13-2006 20:32:30 | More by mobud
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

Reviewed this along with Left Hand's, Harpoon's and Otter Creek's Oktoberfest beers.

Poured this into a pint glass. The color is a red amber, slightly darker and clearer than the others I tried. Lots of bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass, but absolutely no head, and I gave this a generous pour.

The aroma is almost untraceable. But what I do pick up is some sweet malt smell, but that is about it.

The taste is malty and a bit fruity with some spice thrown in. I also taste something that seems like a cross between pumpkin or squash, and sour milk. It's not unpleasant, but different. A little bit of hops dancing around in the background, but mostly unnoticeable.

The mouthfeel is definitely the most watery of the four Oktoberfests I had this afternoon. Overall though, the drinkability is decent. When I try to summarize this beer the image/flavor that comes to mind is sweet malty, slightly sour pumpkin. It is odd. I wouldn't say it is bad, but definitely different. Maybe this bottle hasn't been stored properly, or maybe this is what Sam Adams Oktoberfest is like. Either way, I would only want one of these in a sitting and overall, I'm not very impressed by this beer. There are much better Oktoberfest options.

09-06-2009 23:29:09 | More by sisuspeed
majesticsock

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

A: Carmel colour. Nothing special.

S: Hint of pumpkin.

T: Honestly, kinda bland compared to other Octoberfests.

MF: Average mouthfeel with a bitter aftertaste.

D: I love most of Sam's brews, but I couldn't see myself drinking this all night, even in cool weather.

09-12-2009 02:27:42 | More by majesticsock
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

On tap at the Hyatt in Buffalo. Served in a pint glass.

A - Pale brown/orange colour. Translucent. Small amount of white head.

S - Light nose. Toasted grains with some sweetness.

T - Toasted malts, caramel. Sweet overall with a somewhat dry, sweet finish. Somewhat bland.

M - Light body. Light carbonation.

09-05-2011 18:57:51 | More by TheSevenDuffs
unknownlamer

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is boring. Drinkable, but definitely boring. The smell is kind of weak with just a bit of a malty smell and a slight hint of spicy hops. It really does taste like a bit stronger and more bitter version of the Boston Lager. The hops have a bit of a nice spicy bite, but there isn't really much of a malt backbone (which I thought was part of the Märzen style...). I'd take a Märzhon or an Old Dominion Octoberfest over this any day.

10-21-2005 03:47:59 | More by unknownlamer
beachbum1975

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

I'm a big fan or fall time spiced beers, but the 2 bottles had last night didn't do alot for me. It poured a gorgeous amber color and had a nice frothy head for a few minutes, but my particular beer had an overwhelming pumpkin scent. I like pumpkin smelling beer, but this smelled a little too pumpkin-earthy for me - it almost smelled like bad pumpkins (after Halloween and stinky).

It was decent, but I won't be running to pick up another six pack. At best, I would consider it "avergage", but I was a little disappointed overall.

09-05-2006 17:54:36 | More by beachbum1975
DasBoot91

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

A- Dark orange-ish/copper look. 2 finger off-white head with some lacing. Average carbonation.

S- Smelling some spices and caramel.

T- Tasting light spices, nothing to up in your face. With a little fruit sweetness. Hops are there just sweet not bitter.

M- Medium light feel. Getting the carbonation but goes down easy.

O- A good beer but not what I think a lot of people make it out to be before I ever had it. The appearance I think is the best part. The taste seems to be lacking for all its hype. But i think if your going to a party in the fall, you can't go wrong with this beer.

10-19-2011 17:37:17 | More by DasBoot91
kojevergas

2.81/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

[Low C Overall]

Served on draught into a Miller Lite glass at the 9-0 Bar in South Central Los Angeles. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a half finger head of poor cream, thickness, and retention. Colour is an unappealing dark copper. I recall the head being better in the bottled version.

Sm: Absolutely nothing. Me broken nose can't detect anything. All apologies, lads.

T: Slight bittering hops, an overly commercialized barly/malt foundation, and no real substance. It's decent, but far from exemplary.

Mf: Very sharp, which turns me off from it. A touch too thick. Slightly coarse and wet.

Dr: It's decently easy to drink, but priced rather high. I prefer the bottled version.

---
Bottle reviewed 09/25/11.

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Acquired as part of the Sam Adams Harvest pack at Sam's Club.

A: Pours a four finger head of nice cream, good thickness, and fair retention. Colour is a semitransparent textbook copper.

Sm: Festive hops and light caramel. Me broken nose can't distinguish - all apologies, lads. Aroma is mild in strength.

T: Caramel and generic hops. You know, the marzen taste. It's far from special but has some l imited spice. Built simply, but balanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but a touch thick. Rather generic.

Dr: Easy to drink, average ABV, and average quality. I won't be seeking this out in future, but I might try it if I see it on draught.

C

---
I picked up another bottle with a Sam Adams variety box of 12 beers. Additional (truncated) notes from 09/04/13:

12 fl oz bottle served into a Spaten stangenglas in me gaff in Austin, Texas. Reviewed live.

Served cold. Side-poured with standard vigor.

A: No bubble show. Pours a two finger head of beige colour. Okay thickness and creaminess. No lacing as the head recedes. Retention is above average - 3 minutes.

Body colour is a somewhat dark amber-copper of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Standard fare for style.

Sm: Caramel, allspice, clove. Munich malts. Hints of pumpkin gourd. A touch of roast. Some grains. Generic floral hopping. On the sweeter end. Lightly bready. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. A pleasant aroma of above average to mild strength.

T: Nice spicing, with allspice, clove, and maybe nutmeg. Good caramalt build with some leavening munich malts in there as well. I pick up a buried hint of pumpkin and some traces of nuts and toffee. Fairly bready and grainy. Any hopping is minimal in strength/floral in character. A bit too sweet. Balance is decent for what it is. Unimpressed with the lack of complexity and subtlety, but hey, it's Sam Adams. Approachable and likable for what it is, but far from unique or special.

Average depth/duration/intensity of flavour. The sweetness isn't to style for a festbier.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some unwelcome coarseness in the second act. A bit overcarbonated. Body is too full for the lack of diversity and depth of flavour. Subpar presence on the palate overall. It's pretty generic, and I guess it suits the flavour profile okay.

Dr: Downable but forgettable. A pretty average seasonal from Sam Adams. I won't look forward to this in future years, but it's tolerable inoffensive change from Boston Lager. Wouldn't recommend it to friends;. Not worth seeking out.

C-

[Low C Overall]

10-08-2011 21:38:58 | More by kojevergas
mterrence5

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

What happend to this beer? Im reviewing this in the fall of 08 and im very upset. This was one of my favorite beers for years. Ive had it about 5 times this year and discussed this with other fans and we agree the recipe has changed. As recent as last fall the lable had a comment something about being malty with "hints of caramel and toffee". Well I dont know what happend but those hints but they ar gone from the label and the bottle. This beer is moderatly full tasting in the mouth and very hoppy. This beer leaves a bat taste in my mouth and stomach. The previous version was 4.5's across the board. I cant even drink this anymore. I can only hope next year its better.

10-11-2008 21:11:31 | More by mterrence5
claminat420

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

had this on my bro's boat the other day and just found my notes on it.

A- poured a slight golden /amber color with a thick lacing head.

S- malty with a hint of a orange twist??

T- nothing to special here. tasted a watery malt with just the slightest bit of a caramel taste.

M- light bodied. medium/ high carbonation.

D- i had to rate the drinkability the highest cuz it just reminds me of a light beer flavored water.

Overall- i was expecting alil more from sammy on this one. i remember liking this one when i first started getting into microbrews. tonight i got 4 different oktoberfest's to try. so far if you haven't tried harpoon's i highly recommend it.

09-09-2009 23:22:49 | More by claminat420
jmdrpi

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

served on-tap in a shaker glass.

clear reddish amber in color, no head whatsoever. very little aroma, just a little bit of malt.

taste is of slightly sweet malt, a little bready. but pretty boring. mouthfeel is fine, thin to medium body and a medium to high level of carbonation.

overall it's not bad, just nothing special, and nothing stands out.

09-08-2011 02:03:51 | More by jmdrpi
Rifrafboy

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

Got this on clearance in February. This was actually a decent beer. It tastes malty and hoppy, and was a little lighter than regular Samuel Adams. There are floral tones to this, almost lemony? Very spritzy in the carbonation dept. Full bodied and tasty all the way around. From what I understand, SA changes the brew from year to year. I will try it again this winter.

03-25-2003 16:04:57 | More by Rifrafboy
rye726

Colorado

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

A nice orange color contrasts well with a light tan head. The nose and flavor and both a bi tlighter than I would like to see in this style. There are some toasty malts with some spicy candy. The body is also fairly light and doesn nothing to help the beer. A decent drinker, bu nothing special.

05-20-2008 18:10:44 | More by rye726
Buebie

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

Burnt copper color, transparent, about an inch of head. Retention is decent leaving a collar. Lace is thin, not much of it present.
smelling mostly of sweet caramel malt, a larger amount of breadyness and some grassy hops.

Taste is a big sourdough mess with a tinge of metallic flavors. mildly sweet upfront though, increasing in bitters with a sharp cheeder flavor and grassy hops.
Mouthfeel is thin and watery with a strong carbonation presence.

Overal its up there with the least desirable oct fests I've had.

08-29-2010 04:33:15 | More by Buebie
Botulizard

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark, almost murky brown. Not much head or lacing to speak of.

S: Doesn't smell like much, there's a faint aroma that I think smells a bit like corn, but it's very subtle.

T: It doesn't taste bad, but it's not a remarkable taste either. Bitter aftertaste.

M: Robust and full. Average carbonation.

O: Got this beer as part of a seasonal sampler. I don't think I'd seek it out to buy on its own, but I don't think I'd refuse it if someone were to offer me one again. I could take this beer or leave it, really. There are better Octoberfests to be had.

09-05-2013 22:56:10 | More by Botulizard
mooseisloose

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

Ah autumn and the return of the Oktoberfest beers! This Sam's smells quite malty but not of much else. Poured into a glass it has a tremedous head that stands up like a champ. Color is orange-bronze like the turning of the leaves. (but not on the palm trees). Taste is sweet with hints of caramel and fruit. Hopping is very subdued. Carbonation is good. Smooth and sweet but not much of a backbone. A little too sweet for my palate but would go great with spicy shrimp on the barbi.

08-25-2007 00:38:40 | More by mooseisloose
hustlesworth

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

A- poured a clear copper amber with 1 1/2in fizzy active off white head that settled quickly to 1/8in soapy ring with minimal lace. tiny bubbles rise from the bottom.

S- smells cloying and artificially sweet like splenda, mellow burnt citrus, woody, toasted malt, grains

T- sweet tart malt, some slight out of place fruitiness, artificial sweetener, roasted caramel malt, diluted coffee, fresh wood, earth, almost no hop presence, watery sweet aftertaste of grass and dead leaves.

MF- like a thin syrup with medium carb, it feels almost too sweet to drink and makes my stomach say "no".

D- refreshing and light feeling if you're very thirsty. if i wanted something this sweet i would drink soda. heavily balanced on the malt side, i'd rather have a great lakes oktoberfest instead.

***2008 edit***
this years batch is considerably better than 2007. malt is toastier and less cloying, earthier more pronounced hops put things in balance. worthy of a new review somewhere near a B+.

09-08-2007 07:07:17 | More by hustlesworth
vegantreats

Hawaii

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

This beer conjures images of being at the pumpkin patch on a hayride.Poured with all but a band of bubbly foam left in the glass. Smells like sweet burnt caramel with a sprinkling of brown sugar, looks like watery faux maple syrup. Overly sweet, yet, the beer is quite smooth with a brown sugar hit at the end.

08-30-2009 04:59:36 | More by vegantreats
A380

Manitoba (Canada)

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a very nice dark gold with a good head with ok lacing. nothing special. pretty good i find but it could use some work. tastes like some sweet brown sugar and caramel and some bitter tastes but im not sure what it is. The two flavors definitely conflict. Im not a huge fan and it drinks kinda heavy.
meh. i was definitely expecting better.

10-12-2010 00:28:49 | More by A380
Bills453

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance - poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. 2 finger off white head died off very quickly. Color is an enticing red/orange, just how you would picture a fall leaf.

Smell - no particular smell really pops out at me. Smell alcohol, some earthy smells. Grass, dirt...haha.

Taste - really not that impressed. I enjoyed Great Lakes and Yuenglings offerings far better.

Mouthfeel - a bit watery.

Overall - a pretty average Sam Adams offering as well as a pretty average Octoberfest offering.

11-15-2012 22:49:24 | More by Bills453
Fergyx825

2.71/5  rDev -26.2%

Appearance: a good copper-red coloring that i'd expect from an Oktoberfest. Some head on the edges and over the surface of the beer.

Smell: this smells like a thick, full bodied beer. I can also smell the alcohol. A certain maltiness/hops is also noticed when i smell the beer. This doesn't smell particularly appealing.

Taste: Not so much the full bodied taste that i was expecting after smelling the beer. Also a strong taste of alcohol is definitely felt when sipping the beer. Malty bitter taste, w/ alcohol on the end. I don't taste a full bodied flavor thats supposed to be in a Oktoberfest, and I don't really enjoy this particular beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, and the thickness is perfect. I really like the mouthfeel of this beer. There is some dryness which is to be expected w/ this beer style.

Overall: this beer looks the part and feels the part. But i don't taste the full bodied flavor that i was expecting from a Samuel Adams brew. The smell itself is what i'd expect from this type of beer, but doesn't appear to me. Taste just brings it down.

08-27-2013 01:49:36 | More by Fergyx825
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)