Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (127) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
TylerAddisonJ13

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

A - 3-finger slightly tan-white head from a hard pour. Very red - copper - amber color. Beautiful. Clear and gorgeous.

S - Malts spiced with floral/fruity hints and a bit of hops. Could use to be a little more robust.

T - Sweet, smooth (but not creamy) malts. Hidden hops. Bit of alcohol.

M - Just right. Full of character, but not too thick. Smooth and robust but not overwhelming or oily.

D - An easy drink. I could put down a number of these in a row, and never get tired of it.

This has got to be one of my all-time favorites. I look forward to autumn knowing that Octoberfest will once again hit the shelves. Good job, Boston Brewing Co.!!!

11-17-2008 04:04:23 | More by TylerAddisonJ13
57md

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Served in a 23 oz. glass and paired with a French dip sandwich. Deep amber color with a bit more than a finger of head. The smell has a distinct malt fragrance that is typical of this style. The malt dominates the taste and it feels heavy and thick going down. Had two of these with lunch and I'm not sure which was more filling, the beers or my sandwich. I think that SA beers generally don't live up to their hype, but this is one of there better efforts.

09-24-2011 03:58:59 | More by 57md
taez555

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Had it on tap at the Sam Adams Brewhouse at Logan Airport in Boston.

Poured a dark amber, but very clear, body. A small off white head sat atop.

The nose was very sweet and malty. Caramel, some roasted malt, very mellow, hints of brown sugar, wood, touch of alcohol, grass, and some nice noble earthy hop touches, but all very faint.

The taste was very smooth and malty. A tiny soft bitterness. Rather highly carbonated. Wood, earth, caramel, light brown sugar, maybe even a slight slight slight smoke touch, more of a backwoods earthyness.

It ends with perfect balance of malt and earthy hop. It actually has an ever so slight touch of citrus bitterness.

This beer gets much better as it warms. But overall I can't help but think Bud meets Sam Adams kicked up a notch. An odd but still extremely yummy combonation. A great middle of the road Octoberfest by SA.

08-30-2003 07:52:00 | More by taez555
CRichardsMN

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance:
Clear golden amber with perfect light carbonation bubbles. Pours a soft head that falls to a ring after 30 seconds or so.

Smell:
Sweet and malty with light caramel. Light yeast and hops.

Taste:
Very sweet with hints of caramel. Just enough hops for balance and tartness. Leaves hardly any aftertaste so you can dive right back in.

Mouthfeel:
Slightly fizzy and very creamy smooth. Leaves a light coating in the mouth.

Drinkability:
Had to check myself as to not guzzle this one. Very good.

Comment:
I've found I like Octoberfests more and more as I try more of them. I only bought a couple singles of this but may be going back for a full case...

10-10-2009 00:19:54 | More by CRichardsMN
homebrew311

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up as part of the Harvest Collection. I've had it many times in the past, this however is the first review.

A: poured into SA sensory glass- appears a vibrant clear deep amber with a thin white head, a decent bit of lacing and a little bit of head retention. Looks quite nice.

S: the aroma features predominantly malty notes in the form of toast and a hint of molasses, there is also some earthiness in there

T: again, the malts are featured on the palate with some subtle sweetness that is quickly balanced out by a dry bready finish. The balance of this beer is great!

MF: medium body, silky texture, medium level of carbonation

D: here's a well crafted lager from S.A. Not a lot of big bold flavors, but the flavors are expertly balanced which makes for a highly drinkable brew.

09-05-2010 01:04:32 | More by homebrew311
Jordan1985rec

Maryland

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Let me first say that I am not typically a huge fan of the Octoberfest style of beer, BUT I do enjoy this particular one. -Poured into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass-
A: Orange and gold, perhaps a touch copper, but not like a Boddingtons, much more on the orange tint. Good head, about two fingers with good retention until the end of the pint.
S: Malty, no real hop scent, good for style, no skunk which is often the case with the German imports that may have been sitting on the shelf since the October last. (Props to SA for using such dark bottles too)
T: Malty, caramel.
M & D: A bit heavy compared to some of the others, but enjoyable. I easily went through the six pack with a friend of mine.

10-26-2008 18:00:32 | More by Jordan1985rec
becktone

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

With fall on the way and summer coming close to an end some of my favorite seasonals begin to emerge. With the weather cooling down Octoberfests and Pumpkin Ales begin to become more and more appealing. I thought that I'd give this beer another try and in turn review it again, now that my appreciation and taste for beer has grown.

The color of this beer is a beautiful crystal clear copper. Kind of like the color of some of the Autumn Leaves that drift by my window. Although the leaves are still green now, the color of this beer reminds me of those falling leaves. Head starts off at two fingers, somewhat off white and creamy in appearance. Lacing is fair. Head retention is somwhat poor. The head slowly decreases in size.

Aroma of this beer is also quite good. It is very potent, as soon as the bottle was opened the boquet of aroma hit me in the face. There's not that many beers that I've had where the aroma is that strong and appealing. It seems that more often than not one has to try to find the aroma, searching for it. Not so with this beer. To the nose it is malty sweet smelling of caramel and a hint of spicy noble hop character.

This beer in my opinion is definitely better on the colder side. The flavors just seem to come out better. Noticeable in the flavor are caramaly and some spicy herbal characteristics. Bittering hops do a nice job of balancing the brew out, keeping the malty and caramel flavors in check.

This beer is smooth and well rounded. It goes down easy and is very drinkable. Its got a medium body although it seems a bit thin. Carbonation is in check, appropriate for the style. This would make for a good session beer were the alcohol a bit lower. A good beer to drink once a year, but with so many others out there of the same style with the same limitability it seems unlikely that I'll buy this beer again this season.

09-12-2006 20:36:08 | More by becktone
dpasotti

Indiana

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Super-fresh Octoberfest is a perfectly clear copper-orange color with a slight ruby shade. Light gold highlights near the edges. One finger of off-white foam quickly dissipates to a tiny film and leave minimal lace. The aroma is dominated by toasty Munich malt with a little caramel underneath. Definite clean lager character, but there are some esters that remind me of English yeast. Slight herbal hop presence.

The taste is nearly identical to the smell, but the malt turns more to a light caramel flavor with a hint of sweetness. Surprisingly, the heavy toasted malt from the aroma takes a step back here, but it is still the main focus of the beer. No noticeable hop presence, but enough bitterness to perfectly balance. There's just a bit of alcohol, which would be welcome in most Märzens but is unexpected in such a modestly-sized one.

Body is medium in weight and carbonation. There's some creaminess that lingers after each swallow, which really adds some appeal to an otherwise unexciting beer. Good thing "exciting" is not really something Oktoberfests strive to be. Don't get me wrong. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Märzens (or Sam Adams for that matter), this is a solid brew that nails the style. It's also very versatile: mild enough to drink all night, but enough flavor to have with dinner. It is actually great with milder meals like rice & beans or a grilled chicken sandwich. Trust me.

08-11-2011 23:35:33 | More by dpasotti
DannyDan

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours out a copper hue with a foamy white head that has good retention and fine lacing. The smell consists of caramel, grains, sweet malts. The taste starts out with caramel, some sugars, apples, and dates. I get some hops in the back that keep the beer from being too sweet, but gives it a nice balance. The mouthfeel is crisp and smooth. A very enjoyable beer for the fall season.

09-11-2011 01:44:27 | More by DannyDan
Guinness4me

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

While I usually find most Sam Adams' a bit too hoppy, this beer gave me only a glimpse of hops before the malt and caramel...and I liked it!

The color was the obligatory amber but also a glimmer of rose'...almost a deep, white-zin-wine color. The head was great at first, but fizzled quickly leaving sparse, dotted lace.

The hops scent was slight and quickly gave way to caramel sweetness with a slight pungency (or is that a zing of citrus?).

The taste was the best part of this beer, other than the appearance. It was a perfect blast of carbonation at the tip of my tongue, a quick, and I mean QUICK burst of hops, then a malt taste that would rival a Whopper malted milk ball. Yummy!

This could be one of the most drinkable Sammy Beers I have found.

10/22/04-I had to edit this review and rate it higher in drinkability. My hubby surprised me with it in the kegorator and I've only grown to love it more. It's so easy to drink, it's dangerous.

10-10-2004 02:14:53 | More by Guinness4me
curasowa

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Clear copper color with one finger of head that fades to a ring with little lacing.

Aroma: Toasted malt with a brown sugar sweet note over top and a touch of metallic-ness.

Taste: Toasted and nutty, but with an ever-present sweetness in the background. Moderate Carbonation picks up in the middle cutting the flavor and ushering in some mild earthy bitterness, the finishing fairly fast with some residual nuttyness.

The Rest: A very simple, medium bodied and easy drinking marzen. It's a touch on the sweet side, but otherwise pretty good.

10-07-2011 21:42:28 | More by curasowa
Jarod

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

This beer poured a golden orange color which seemed to glow, it was crystal clear and well carbonated. The head that was produced was tight and compact, off white /cream in color and about 1 1/2 inches thick and well lasting. There was a nice sheety lace left behind that lasted to the end of the glass. The aromas were not as strong as I would have thought and liked, but noticable and pleasing, I nosed lots of rich and sweet malts, spices and some light hops. The tastes were more pronounced, ton of mixing malts and spices, from sweet malts to rich malts and defined spices, caramels, and some notes of dark fruit (as it warmed), hints of hops (mostly a spicey hop, but slight floral became noticable as it warmed) swirled in and out near the middle and end of the swallow and turned to a dry hop flavor as a last taste down the throat. Some malty aftertaste and dry hops were left. The body was light medium, not as thick compared to others of this style I have had. Drinkable and worth a try every year.

12-01-2005 21:29:41 | More by Jarod
Chaney

District of Columbia

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into my Stone Brewing Co. pint glass.

A: Liquid came out a peppery orange color, like a melted orange popcicle, clear as a bell, with a good size ghost white head that retained itself throughout.

S: Faint malty puff, bready, and with a slight Amercan hop profile as opposed to a German one.

T: Bready, malty, and not very drying on the finish. I did get a slight bit of vomit on the aftertaste that went away after a few sips.

M: I dug the carbonation on this. The lacing basically fell back into the glass and the sweet elements didn't linger on the palate for too long.

O: The quintessential Americanized Octoberfest.

10-02-2011 01:50:49 | More by Chaney
jlandis

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Crystal clear copper in color with 1 inch fluffy white head. Looks like a perfect Oktoberfest!

Light toasty malt is about all I get from the aroma. Maybe it's just a style of beer I don't appreciate, but I'm not impressed yet.

Lightly toasted grains with subtle hop bitterness. Fairly clean flavor over all with a bright crisp bitterness. A nice sweetness and subtle fruitiness. What impresses me most is the clean freshness to this beer.

Slightly thin body with subtle carbonation.

It's a very solid Oktoberfest beer with a nice toasted malt profile and slight hop character, but unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of most lagers. Crisp and clean and well constructed.

11-16-2010 16:39:56 | More by jlandis
ThaSmokinGun

Georgia

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

I was at Oktoberfest in 2004, hit a bunch of tents (including Paulaner), and I have to say that the best bier that year was in the Hacker tent (Hacker and Pschorr have two different tents and two different beers).

That being said, this is the 2nd best Oktoberfest bier I've had. It is hopped a little more crisply than the German versions, but the malt flavor is spot on. This beer loses its head much more quickly than the German ones did, but they don't have much head either. I'd expect to see about a 3/8" to 1/2" on a liter mug.

Mouthfeel is pretty much the same as what I remember from Oktoberfest, but maybe slightly thinner. Or that could just be my mind playing tricks on me. Either way, pretty .... close to style in my mind.

Drinkability is about the same as the Hacker Oktoberfest. Make sure you designate a driver or bring a 6 pack home :)

To me, the extra hops are not an issue, and this is better than the Paulaner Oktoberfest. To the style purist, Paulaner is very slightly closer to style than this beer.

09-23-2006 05:23:55 | More by ThaSmokinGun
Walsar

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

This is a much better brew than last years fest.

Typical Sam adams quality.

Nice orange to amber color. Slight hop taste.

An enjoyable quaff that would pair nice with many foods.

The beer is better as I near the half glass - not room temperature but not ice cold.

Enjoy the fall of the year.

09-24-2006 20:59:11 | More by Walsar
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

The beer looks gorgeous. Beautiful orange/red body with initially thick head that thins but does not dissappear. Smell is a plethora of hops, yeast, and wheat. Some caramel-like scent there too? Very flavorful. Sweet, malty, and yeasty, with some hop bitterness present. More or less well balanced, and medium bodied. A very decent beer. Definitely among the best Sam Adams beers I’ve ever had. I am impressed. I love fall beers anyway though.

09-05-2006 00:50:44 | More by MrHurmateeowish
Shrews629

Kentucky

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance - Nice amber, copper color with some red highlights peeking through. Slightly off white head that didn't hang around too awful long, but did settle to a fine ring. Not a lot of lacing left on the glass however.

Smell - Picking up a fair amount of malt along with that dry earthy, "leafy" smell. Touches of caramel malt coinciding with the bread and biscuit nose that have become more prominent as the beer warms.

Taste - Again picking up the malt with what I detect as butterscotch. Rather pleasant I think. A little bit of the breadiness coming through at the end, which I tend to favor.

Mouthfeel - Medium, dry, crisp, chewy mouthfeel. Nice dry maltiness really sticks to the tongue until the next sip.

Drinkability - I could put a few of these back during one setting with no problem. Personally, I think Sam Adams does a great job with most of their seasonal brews. I actually really appreciate all they do for craft brewing. This beer really sets the mood for those crisp, cool Fall afternoons.

10-06-2010 01:23:35 | More by Shrews629
zerofear13

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Although Samuel Adams and many other breweries released their Octoberfests in mid-August, I have waited until September to try out my Octoberfest. Pours out a dark copper, almost brown color. Nice head, good retention, but nothing out of the ordinary. Smells of sweet malts and hops. Tastes noticeably sweet and finishes a tad bitter, but in a good way. As the beer warms up, the malts get sweeter and sweeter. Delicious beer and I was glad I picked it up and saved it for a colder day.

09-12-2007 20:57:30 | More by zerofear13
industrialswill

Washington

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Dark amber with not much of a head but with a nice amount of carbonation none the less.
It's good a fairly hoppy bite for a mass marketed beer.
It's malty enough to leave a slight syrupy mouthfeel.
Overall, I think this is good beer.
I like this more than their standard lager.

08-15-2011 00:33:56 | More by industrialswill
N8TheGreat

New Hampshire

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

A- Poured a wonderful dark copper with a frothy and attractive off-white head.

S- Smell is layers of malt with caramel, toffee, and doughy notes dominating.

T & M - Sweet and bready malt notes are kept in check by hop bitterness. Hint of herbal hop flavor. Finishes with caramel and metallic? notes. Mouth feel was a little thin.

D- I really wanted more malt flavor in this lager. The whole experience seemed subdued. Past years were more impressive.

09-01-2008 22:06:43 | More by N8TheGreat
merlin48

Kentucky

3.78/5  rDev +3%

2006 edition pours a radiant copper amber body with a small khaki head that retains well and produces some attractive lacing. Aroma is disinctive noble hops and caramel malt. Mouthfeel features spritzy carbonation and a light medium body. Taste is a well balanced blend of toffee and caramel maltiness and noble hop bitterness. Crisp and refreshing. An excellent American Oktoberfest that is tasty and sessionable.

09-05-2006 19:20:19 | More by merlin48
bsp77

3.78/5  rDev +3%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Summit Pint glass.

Appearance: Clear amber-orange with thick foamy head that really lasts.

Smell: Smells very dry, with notes of toast and spicy noble hops. Really don't detect very much here.

Taste: Light flavored Marzen overall. Slightly sweet caramel and toast. Minor spicy noble hop finish. Don't really notice much biscuit, as expected for the style. While it sounds like I am complaining, I really do like this beer and its overall balance.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium but thin body, fairly smooth and slightly dry finish.

Drinkability: This may be the easiest drinking Marzen out there, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best, as it is just slightly too light on flavor. Great nonetheless.

09-03-2009 02:16:31 | More by bsp77
r0nyn

3.78/5  rDev +3%

On tap from Smith's Bar in New York City.

Poured into a pint glass. Very pretty and clear burnt orange/amber color with a smallish head, but with some decent lacing. Smell isn't strong at all, slightly malty and spicy.

I don't usually like the taste of Samuel Adams beers, but I decided to be adventurous and I'm glad it was the Octoberfest because the taste was clean and delicious. I caught hints of caramel and spicy sweetness, which was quite refreshing. There wasn't too much carbonation, just enough to caress the tongue a little bit and dissipate, which suited me just fine.

It's on the sweetish side, which enhances the drinkability for me. The clean looks and taste are quite appealing, and it goes down easily. I finished it quicker than I thought I would. The only reason I didn't order another one is because my friends and I had to leave.

08-30-2009 06:06:37 | More by r0nyn
Chris585

Indiana

3.78/5  rDev +3%

Poured into my Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company Glass....

Appearance is dark amber with minimal head and little retention. Smell is pretty good with that great Sam Adams Malty twinge....when I drink their beers, I always have that in the back of my head, Stocky Bearded guy pouring malts in....carrying barley up a flight of stairs....tuggin on the overalls and smiling because he loves his job....anyways...

Taste is of malty goodness, not too sweet, not too much carbonation, little head, but thats ok too...tasty as always from Sam Adams...just a respectable brewery that I have always went to, even though I havent tasted all their offerings, this brew is GOOD...nothing extraordinary, a little too dry without the hops, but TASTY.

Of all the variety of Octoberfest beer, this one is another of my cant waits.

08-27-2011 20:40:41 | More by Chris585
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)