Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,050 | Hads: 6,961
3.08/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from bottle into my Blackstone Brewery pint glass.

A: Pours an amber/golden orange color with a half finger tan head that dissipated incredibly fast. Left a moderate amount of lacing.

S: Beer. Nothing special, just smelled like a macro beer.

T: Malts, biscuit/bread, a tiny bit of sweetness, maybe some caramel, pumpkin, and a bit of butterscotch. Bready finish.

M: Decent amount of carbonation, a little chewy, I'd say medium bodied.

D: Not hard to put a few back if you want. I wasn't a fan so one was my limit.

I wasn't a fan of this, which was disappointing. I love Sam Adams summer ale so I had high expectations for this brew but I would describe it as average at best.

3.07/5  rDev -16.1%

2003 release poured a red/amber. Head was gone by the time it reached me. I was unable to detect much of anything aroma wise, so I guess it's up to the taste buds. Not much happening yet - too cold. After letting it warm, taste was mostly malt and caramel, with a minor hop presence. Finish was dry dry dry, with some dryness and left a bit of a dry feeling on my palate. Pucker-fest is more like it.

Not bad, but no where near as good as I remember it.

3.07/5  rDev -16.1%

Amber with a white collar and no head yet it left one stringy lace ring. Metallic with some noble hop spice--could be the victim of a frosty mug. Inoffensive toasted malt with some minor noble hop spice in back. Seems buttery this year?

I remember this being better. Bummer.

3.07/5  rDev -16.1%

Weak head which barely gets to half a finger before dissipating to weak swirls across the surface, thin streaks of lacing. Nice glow to the red amber color, thins into a zinc orange around the rims. The nose is gently spiced with clove, nutmeg and allspice, followed on by cereal, mixed white citrus and oregano and bay leaf herbs, neither that malty nor that fruity. In the mouth it's medium-bodied, the carbonation arguably a bit much for the primary material and does not allow the flavors time to soak in. More of that raw spice mixed in with herbs and a light metallic accent. Hard to shake that dilute feeling, no fruit or citrus to fill in the blanks and the malts not very sweet, some dark chocolate dust. The graininess milled down and powdery. Some lift at the end, but without much direction.

3.07/5  rDev -16.1%

I picked up a six-pack of Sam Adams Octoberfest at a grocery store to taste, review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a light copper color and is clear. A thin white head forms and dissapates quickly to nothing.

The smell is sweet and earthy. There are some malted grain notes, and sweet fruit fragrance, peaches and apricots.

The taste is sweet and flavorful. There is a caramel malt flavor, roasted grain and a mildly bitter hop finish. The flavors are reasonably well balanced.

The mouth feel is smooth and little cloying.

This is a drinkable beer. I’m not real familiar with the style, but this is drinkable, and I’d have it again.

3.07/5  rDev -16.1%

Nice clarity, beautiful bright copper color, large head induced by vigorous pour retreats to thin off-white cap.

Light malty aroma with a dry soapy end note.

Sweet carmel malt with lemony bitterness and a cornbread end-note.

Carbonation gives a soft bite to the tongue, otherwise smooth and clean, with a medium to light body.

Easy drinker although fairly pedestrian. Not a bad beer, nothing to write home about.

3.07/5  rDev -16.1%

This was poured into a dimpled beer mug.

A-deep reddish, medium amber brew with a thin tan head that left minimal lacing on the glass. I was surprised to see there was not much to the appearance here.

S-Faint smell of caramel, toasy malt, and some spice. There was also a nice smell of cherry, too. It smelled quite refreshing and I was looking forward to my first sip. But the taste didn't meet my expectations.

T-Toasty malt, caramel malt, some autumn-esque spice, carmelized nuts, baked nutty taste. The aftertaste was okay: buttered bread with some buttery, toasted nuts. A faint taste of pumpkin.

M-The mouthfeel was disappointing. I thought it was a little too wet for this style. It was too fizzy from the carbonation. At times I felt like I was drinking a fizzy soda water. A slight dry feel was present.

Overall-This is just an average beer, not bad, not great, just a beer to have during the crisp fall months. Note the word "crisp", a word that this beer lacks. I love having nice autumn beer that gives me a nostalgic feeling that reminds me of the smell of fire places and leaves changing colors. This beer did not present that feeling.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

had this from a 12-oz bottle. Oktoberfest is spelled wrong on the bottle.

A: pours a nice amber/caramel color with a nice head that lasts a few minutes. Good looking bier.
S: it doesn't have the same aroma as some of the top-notch oktoberfest biers, but just enough sweetness to lure you in.
T: follows the smell--mild sweetness, a little malty, but nothing special. The taste is not full enough to be a solid fest-marzen brew.
M: not bad.
D: Could easily have a few of these without thinking about it. Goes down easy but it isn't a bier that I would get excited about having with friends. If it is there, I'll drink it.

Overall, I was a little disappointed with this bier. I had heard great things from my friends about the SA fest, so I thought I would try. Again, not bad, but not great. Have if you will...

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Notes taken Sept/16/11.

Appearance - One finger, barely off-white head with decent retention. Clear amber body.

Smell - Mild malt. Mild is key here. Needs some more kick, even for a festbier.

Taste - Delicious kick in the fist sip. Mildly astringent throughout. Corny. Low to medium malt masks astringency. Mild and mostly flavorless for the style, but smooth and very drinkable.

Mouthfeel - Smooth. Slightly creamy. Some effervescence. Hint of astringency.

Overall Drinkability - Decent, middle of the road for the style.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured into pint glass for a dark orange, almost reddish somewhat seethru body with two-finger, foamy head. Slightly spicy in the smell, but a little weak with no real hops kicking in. Thin to medium body, there is some sweetness in this beer but it is a little overpowered by the rather drying, grainy hops and some rough spices. Not mixed too well, there was a weird aftertaste for me with this beer. It wasn't bad, it wasn't that enjotable though.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

Best by Jan 2013 date on bottle.

Served in a pint glass.

a. A dark golden color. Head is a slight off white color.

s. I can't quite get what the smell of this is, it is not offensive but not the most appealing.

t. this is maybe the most generic octoberfest beer I have ever had. It is not offensive but is not bad either.

m. for some reason this beer tastes almost syrupy to me.

o. not a hateful beer, but not the best. The good things are you can find it almost any where. I will gladly buy it again in the fall season.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured a 2" beige head. Nice clear amber appearance. There's almost no smell, even after warmed, but what I do get would amount to malt. There's a slight hint of malt in the taste but nowhere near the five kinds of malt they claim in the ads. Wee bit of spicing. Hey, it's fine, a drinkable beer, and it does match the Fall season, but nothing blows me away here.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

This beer looked better than it tasted. I only had one, but there was a definite off-note, a toned down version of what I associate with the big macrobrews brewed with corn and such. That is to say, this beer is better than those beers but it has a slightly skunked aftertaste despite being properly handled and consumed soon after purchase. I often dislike Oktoberfests, so maybe I just have odd taste. I did use it to swallow a vitamin (I imagine my mother shuddered for no apparent reason when that happened), but that wasn't until three quarters through the glass. The carbonation is pleasant and the beer has a good dryness, but I'm put off by the off note. That sounded a bit repetitive. With the help of BA, I'm seriously cutting my teeth as a beer snob. Now, I just need to go to a beer festival and find a super limited release to give a perfect score to.

Draft served in Sam Adams lager glass
Aroma of malt
Head removed by bartender – what remains is white, frothy, and rapidly diminishes to 2 mm ring
Lacing poor – occasional island and reef of tiny bubbles
Body medium red-amber, clear, continual bubble generation
Flavor malty, ends slightly astringent; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3, Aroma 3.25, Flavor 3, Palate 3, Overall 3.0625

3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

Serving was from a 12 oz. bottle, from a case purchased Sept. 2006. I also purchased a case each of Oktoberfest brews from Penn Brewery and Stoudts Brewery at the same time, in order to do a side by side by side comparison.

The Sam Adams Octoberfest beer produces a deep orange/amber colored beer in the glass, with a relatively short lived off white head. Sheeting was good to the bottom of the glass. The nose is unremarkable, with notes of bready/toasty malts. The flavor to me also had a slighty toasted malt note, very light, but balanced. The mouthfeel was a little on the thin side for my liking, and for my expecations of the style (remember that I was comparing this to 2 other Fest brews at the same time). Finish is dry, with no aftertaste. Of the 3 Octoberfest brews I tried, this was my least favorite, but still, it has its merits in its balance and drinkability.

3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

Type: Oktoberfest/ Lager
Color: Amber
Body: Lightly carbonated
Head: Heavy white head. Lingers for some time. Excellent lacing.
Taste: For a fall beer is it light but still has a great flavor. Almost tastes like popcorn strangely enough.
Aroma: The smell of fall is in the air! You can smell the spices and the caramel and toffee that were used in the brewing process.

3.04/5  rDev -16.9%

Saw this and Goose Island's version at the grocery tonight and decided to pick up a sixer of each. This beer is everything I feel an Oktoberfest SHOULDN'T be...mild flavor, light color, poor head retention and lacing, not much by way of malty goodness. This beer would not be bad as a session beer, but I hold seasonals and especially Oktoberfests to a higher standard (simply because there are so many from which to choose), and this just has nothing going for it. Pales in comparison to the Goose and almost every other Oktoberfest I've had. But, it's better than Budweiser. I actually prefer the standard Sam Adams lager to this beer!

3.04/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a 12oz standard pressure-cap bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Finger cream-colored head with low retention. Walnut-colored body with moderate clarity and middling carbonation.

S- Some caramel malts, spices and warm notes.

T- Warm, caramel and malty. Has a bit of a spicy note at the end of the taste.

M- Thicker and bubbly.

O- Not much to say about this. Middling.

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Amber color with a medium-sized off-white head that leaves some lacings.

S: Malts, fudge, lots of bready aromas, floral and leafy hop notes.

T: The taste is somewhat sweet with notes of bready malts, fudge, grains and floral hop notes. Some earthy hints as well. The finish is gently bitter with notes of grainy malts and leafy hops.

M: Moderate body, medium carbonation.

D: A decent beer. Quite tasty and easy to drink. Not the most interesting style, though.

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

Edit 9-24-09 Based on this years offering, I'm dedycting for smell, MF & drinkability ,5. This is don't buy for me until I start hearing good thinks about it, sucked on tap too...

BBD of Feb 08, sampled in my free Sam Adams Glass

Pours amber/copper with 2+ fingers of sand colored head. Above average head retention & average lacing

S: Fruitty & cereal notes

T: Some caramel, dryness & a little bit of husky grains up front. Herbal & metallic hops as this warms. Finishes grainy, alittle fruitty, with hints of honey malt

MF: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinks so-so, not really impressed with this year's offering

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a clear amber with a huge 3 finger foamy beige head that stuck around a while and left decent lacing that slid down the glass fast.

Smells of sweet malt, wet bread, grains, earth tones like grass or hay and some faint hops; a decent nose, but no odor really jumps out with excitement.

Tastes of sweet malt, toasted grains, caramel, hay, yeast (as there is a metallic taste to it), herbs like tea leaf, faint hops and a sweet sugar mixed in somewhere; this seems to be a conservative beer that borders on dull. All the right flavors are there to make up a good beer, but they are all muted like not enough ingredients were used while making this brew. The flavor is decent, perhaps even bordering on good, but just so weak that the follow through does not excite the taste buds.

Mouthfeel is creamy with very little carbonation that was very light, along with a light, crisp body and overall feel. This beer flowed down easy with zero resistance due to it's light crisp nature.

High drinkability, as this would be a session beer if it tasted better. Disappointing for Sam Adams to not succeed with this one.

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a copper, amber with no real head to speak of.

Smells of some biscuit malt, metal, not much else.

Tastes sweet and roasty with some sulfur and small hop character coming through.

Lighter body, smooth, and highly drinkable.

I would not buy another pint of this beer, but it was OK.

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

Enjoying lunch at Chillies with the family. Was nice to see this one on tap as I have never had it before.

A - Pours a dark copper with a one finger off white head that dissipates at a quick pace. Not much lacing to be had...

S - Bread and sweet malts. Lots of sweet notes...

T - Rides the sweet malt wave all the way through. Caramel and sweet fruit. Don't pick up any hop presence...

M - Medium bodied with alot of carbonation. Smooth, but a tad much on the carbonation for my liking...

O - Nice beer to sip on a hot day. Glad I tried this one, but not something I see myself getting again unless in a pinch...

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

A. Pours a clear amber with a one finger creamy off-white head.

S. A bit of grain and a touch of sweetness, but not a whole lot of aroma here. A bit of cinnamon-like spice comes out as it warms.

T. A lot of winter-like spice flavor - mostly cinnamon. Not what I expect (or want) in an oktoberfest.

M. Light to medium with a fairly high level of carbonation.

D. I wouldn't pick this up again. It's not terrible, but it's not that good either.

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

Orangish amber color, clear, with a small tan cap of head. Aroma is toasted breads and not much else. Maybe a little caramel sweetness. Pretty muted. Flavor is, again, toasted bread, with vague floral hop accents and caramel. Finishes watery, as per usual with Sam Adams. Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated but body is thin compared to German versions. Inoffensive, decent.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)