2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Reviews: 1914

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (120) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,954 | Reviews: 1,914 | Show All Ratings:
klaybie

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

Wow! I am surprised I like this beer now. I first tried it a year ago and was unimpressed. However, I have tried many beers in that year and can now say SA Octoberfest will be in my fridge all season. I've had this beer many times this year so I think this is accurate for me:

Poured into my Friar Tuck pint glass

A.Pours a copper-red color with a 1/2" off-white head. Very fine lacing. Head retention is about 30 seconds.

N. Smells malty with some hop aroma although I can't place the hops (my nose is not that talented yet). Smells like other Oktoberfest beers.

T. Initial taste is malty and bready and some hop bitterness is present at the finish which refreshes the palate for the next drink.

M. Moderate carbonation and medium body make this beer enoyable.

D. Overall a solid beer in my opinion. Certainly an Oktoberfest that has earned a place in my fridge. The SA website lists the ABV at 5.3% which helps make the beer very drinkable and sessionable. That being said I'm off for another!

09-01-2010 01:45:57 | More by klaybie
thegodfather2701

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

A-Poured into my official Samuel Adams Octoberfest mug. It pours an amber/copper color with a thick off white head that slowly dissipates leaving a thin layer of foam.

S-Extremely malty and sweet, with some caramel.

T-This is all about the malts. Its slightly sweet and grainy at first, but as it warms the caramel notes emerge. Its very crisp, clean, and refreshing.

M-Just slightly thin but they have a nice amount of carbonation.

D-I could drink this all day, it makes a great session beer.

Overall, this beer is awesome. It has a great flavor, its not too thick, and has a relatively low abv. so it makes a great session beer. I can't wait to grill some smoked sausage or brats and drink a few of these.

09-01-2010 22:09:03 | More by thegodfather2701
Coji

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

This beer should be sold year round, but I do enjoy the treat during the autumn. Its limited availability is part of why this beer remains a hot commodity. My initial pour developed a medium-sized head. It was a light tan, but it dissipated quickly and did not leave any lacing on the glass. I was disappointed with that aspect of the beverage. The color however, was awesome. A slightly burnt amber represents the season very well and it was a beautiful welcome to the beverage.

The aroma was good, possibly because I knew what to expect. If I tried to be objective, the smell is not great, but still good. Octoberfest is lightly carbonated, producing a good mouthfeel, but it was not as smooth as it could have been. While drinking the beer, it is difficult to tell the alcohol content, but after a couple of glasses, it become prevalent. This is one of my favorite beers and I am sad to see its season come to an end.

11-04-2010 23:54:11 | More by Coji
NerveStorm

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

A mellow October beer with a smooth finish. Good flavor with less bite than I expected. I found this a very pleasing drink. There is a malt bias, with no IPA like bitterness. Great with a meal or just a refreshing drink. I wish this one was around more of the year.

Serving type: growler

10-26-2011 04:09:12 | More by NerveStorm
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a big glass mug. The liquid is a dark amber orange. The head is big 3 fingers and rocky. Fades slow leaving a nice lace.
The smell is toasty Carmel malt.

The taste follows, Very good slightly sweet and toasty.

The mouthfeel is good better then medium body and great carbonation quite refreshing.

The drinkability is top of the line a great drinking style done to perfection. Prosit, MK

10-23-2006 07:05:03 | More by MuenchenerKindl
barknee

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a brew I really look forward to enjoying while it's in season. though I have tasted this product in years preceding, this years (2009) variation is especially excellent!
Beautiful and abundant creamy malts brimming with hints of marshmallow and nougat and a touch of hop character to keep it honest. Deep amber in color and always rewarding you with the perfect mocha colored head along with generous lacing.
Though most stores are sold out by this time of the year, (mid-November) there is a small "ethnic" store a few towns away that has an ample cache of this stuff. Needless to say, each time I "SCHHWINGGG" through, I pick up a sixer'.. I think they should have enough to last for me till the "drink before" date in March...
And No.... I aint' tellin" ;-)

11-14-2009 00:37:47 | More by barknee
jasonpeckins32

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%

Ive been drining this beer every fall for several years now, and just realized to my surprise that I havent rated it yet.

It pours a nice amber hue with a good amount of khaki colored head retention. The smell is outstanding, very malty and reminiscent of autumn.

I love the flavor of this octoberfest, its very flavorful without being too sweet or syrupy.

The mouthfeel and carbonation are also excellent, as is common in most sam adams ales.

This is definitly one of my favorite Octoberfest beers, and possibly the one single seasonal beer that I look forward too the most each year.

11-30-2009 05:19:58 | More by jasonpeckins32
Landfill21

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This was the second octoberfest beer I have had the pleasure of tasting this season.

Pours into a dark amber color and has a nice head that leaves no lace down the sides of the glass. Has a malty, toffee smell. Goes down very smooth and you can taste the malt and toffee tones. Is a excellent beer to drink on a hot day. Drinkability is awesome and it is easy to drink 4-5 of these at a sitting.

Would highly recommend this beer to anyone. Is not available for very long and is often hard to find. Stock up when you can.

08-15-2010 20:53:09 | More by Landfill21
AustinBeerLvr

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

Tried this on-tap tonight at Doc's here in Austin.

I have had this beer many times before in the bottle; and, while it is very good out of a bottle, it's even better on tap. I realize that's nothing new for a lot of beers, but the big difference between the bottle and on-tap for this brew was the mouthfeel. Out of the bottle, it sometimes tastes a bit thin. On-tap, this brew is absolutely perfect as it's substantial, but not overdone. Awesome blend of sweet malty flavors perfectly balanced by just a kiss of hops. A must have on-tap for anybody who likes (or thinks they might like) an O-Fest brew.

10-13-2007 06:21:20 | More by AustinBeerLvr
Schmidts

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured from a Bottle a 1/2 Inch head that goes to a small head quickly. Nice Copper color. Smells of Bread and malts and a little caramel sweetness.
Taste is wonderful flavor of Bread Malt and Nuts. A Very refreshing taste that calls for more!It is very nice in your mouth kind of creamy a little sweet with a nice Hop Balance.
This one is a Home Run October beer really Good I shall remember this one each October to revisit.
This is a Very Drinkable Beer.

Beer its Not Just A Beverage Beer is Food

09-24-2008 11:49:50 | More by Schmidts
DefenCorps

Oregon

12oz bottle into my excuse for a stein. Best by Feb 2009, so this is fresh

A: Copper colored pour with a massive two-finger thick beige head. Tons of visible carbonation

S: Bready and mildly spicy with a hint of hops; mildly citrus like. Solid!

T: Starts off rich and malty with wonderful caramel sweetness to go with the bready character. There's a hint of a pepper-like spice that, while uncommon for style, works really well here. The finish is dry and very tasty

M: Light -to- medium in body with excellent carbonation and a great finish, this one's great

D: This is definitely one of my favorites. Well done, Jim Koch!

09-30-2008 00:32:09 | More by DefenCorps
wesl56

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

My favorite fall beer! Even though it's not fall yet in Florida, I saw it in the store today and had to pick up a 12 pack for $13.99... here goes the first one:

a- pours a dark brown/gold with a 1/2" head - leaves lacing that falls after a few seconds.

s- not to much here. i get some hints of malts, but nothing stands out.

t- similar to the boston lager, but more on the malty side, but still balanced. The malt flavors really jump out: oak, cream, and spice. While the hops are pretty mild, they are still noticeable and give it a slightly bitter finish, which really smooths the deal out.

m- on the light side, lots of carbonation

d- you can certainly stick with octoberfest for the evening. You're gonna want more than one - no doubt. A great beer to drink on the first cool days of the season (even though that's still months away here in FL. It's currently 90 degrees)

an additional note- ive got to say this first beer isnt as good as i remember it being in years past. It seems much lighter, almost that watered down feel. This could be due to two things- first i had really high expectations for this beer, as i enjoy it so much every fall, and second, as the flavors, feel, and "mood" of this beer are geared towards cooler weather, I think that cool days are an essential element for enjoying it the way it was intended to be enjoyed.

08-20-2009 22:35:28 | More by wesl56
warbird07

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

poured into a standard pint glass...

appears ruby red..nice cream colored head, good lacing..

smell is quite nice..malty, sweet,bready.subtle hop aroma...very appealing..

taste is..sweet..malty sweet..gentle hop flavor..slight bitter finish..smooth(hey it is a lager)

mouthfeel is great..smooth like the style..light to medium body..very appealing and drinkable..

I must admit..I am biased to this particular brew..it has been one of my favorites for many years..I have had alot of martzens..this is one of my favorite..

08-24-2011 03:04:16 | More by warbird07
derekmorris7

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

A > Really nice Amber with some lighter orange i swear. Nice stubby head cream colored

S> Not a heck of a smell until to put it in your mouth

T > Very nice taste lots of fall flavor. Light notes of cinnamon some citric..but those are really light

M > Awesome clean drink slight linger but doesnt foul like some other Sam does

O > Awesome beer, easy drinking and great flavor. I look forward to it every year. The only Sam i really like.

09-17-2011 00:53:14 | More by derekmorris7
alee42

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

Had this beer many times, thought I'd review it.

Pours into a pint glass with a rich smell of caramel, malts, hops, very light roasts, tiny bit of fruit. Forms into a dark copper/burnt-orange color and poured with a full head.

I can definitely taste more malts than hops, the sweetness isn't that disrupting, but it makes it's presence. A little nutty flavor added to the finish, goes down smooth. I'm not surprised by the high alcohol content than that of Sam Adams Boston Lager, comparatively, but it definitely is full bodied and very flavorful. It's a very drinkable beer, contributed by the character malts - almost like a glaze to the beer.

12-11-2011 01:56:58 | More by alee42
meechum

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Got this bottle from my brother in law..this was good. Poured the very amber/coppery colored beer aggresively into a mug with a three finger head that was very pillowy, with tight small bubbles that took a little while to receed and left a good sticky lace throught the glass. The smell had notes of caramel and fruits (figs maybe) and a touch of honey. The taste was wonderful this had a mellow fruity, sweet malt taste with just a bite of hops to balance the whole thing out. The mouthfeel was good, perhaps possibly could have used a tad more carbonation but overall excellent. Drinkability...well let's just say I wished I had gotten more than just the one bottle from my brother in law..we'll be having a private Oktoberfest at my house this year and this will be one of the brews on hand

08-27-2007 01:34:35 | More by meechum
pittvkyle7

Connecticut

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

all im going to say is that this is one of the most enjoyable beers I've ever had. I'm not saying it's the best, it's just so good evey time! So many people that don't try interesting beer love this one too, and that has to count for something.
go get some.
I love fall!

09-30-2007 22:56:38 | More by pittvkyle7
GoodKnight1220

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured a deep golden orange from the bottle to a glass. Good two finger head.

Smells of sweet malt and caramel with a spicy undertone.

Tastes is very very malty, with the spice undertone right up front then fades to a great sweetness asking you to drink more.

I am a big fan of this brew and could drink it for a week straight.

08-11-2008 23:07:13 | More by GoodKnight1220
Beerislife652854

Connecticut

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

August 30. First time this year I found it at my local packie.

A - Crystal clear deep orange/ amber with a thin compact head that laces the glass finely and slightly.

S - Very mild, some floral hops, sweet malt.

T - Nice balance of toasted grains and sweet florals.

M- Good level of carbonation, Smooth.

D - Very drinkable. A nice transition from Summer to winter.

08-30-2008 20:45:55 | More by Beerislife652854
groganb

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from the bottle into a frozen glass beer mug.

Appearance: Sexy dark amber, two fingers of head that didn't stay for long. Faint, distorted lacing.
Smell: Slightly bread-ish, roasted nuts.
Taste: Caramel, chocolate, a faint hint of roasted malt, topped off with a kiss of hops on the back of the tongue.
Mouthfeel: Decent, not too thin. Nice and smooth.
Drinkability: It went down very well, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. This brew was my introduction into Sam Adams seasonals several years ago. And it remains my favorite. This is one of my main reasons to look forward to the fall each year.

09-09-2008 10:16:22 | More by groganb
techtatu

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Nice caramel color and not much head. The smell was just overall pleasant. The taste was surprisingly good for what I call a main stream beer.

Yet another beer that I would enjoy drinking with friends at a bar and, or at a get together. Maybe at a poker game also.

09-11-2008 17:03:52 | More by techtatu
generallee

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a dimpled mug.

Appearance: It has a dark amber color with good clarity. The head is light tan in color, creamy and about average in size. It has good retention as it slowly fades to light covering that hangs on until the last sip.

Smell: The aroma is full of all the sweet caramel-like malt that you would expect along with some decent mineral/herbal hops.

Taste/Mouth feel: Its flavor has solid, sweet and bready malt with caramel notes and hints of apple-like fruitiness. Hop flavor comes in and adds a good spicy and herbal presence to the middle and finish. It finishes slowly and has a slick texture with good carbonation and a medium to full body.

Notes: Football, Halloween candy, and sucking down some Sam Adams Octoberfest with my father, these are a few of my favorite things.

10-02-2008 03:40:50 | More by generallee
BeerskiBrewski61

Tennessee

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

I normally do not buy Sam Adams beer, however; I decided to buy it because of the Octoberfest beer.

The beer poured very well, a nice foamy head, had a nice smell to it. The color was an awesome amber color beer which looked great in a chilled glass.

There is no overpowering after taste, it's very crisp and palatable.
It's a very drinkable beer that would be great to serve good friends.

I would definitely recommend this beer to anyone wanting a good drinking beer.

09-25-2009 21:52:48 | More by BeerskiBrewski61
KTCamm

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Finally found this on a roatating tap at a BBQ place in New Milford. I'd been seeing Brooklyn October rotated in around Fairfield county, and while a good beer, its not the same.

Poured into a cold pint glass. Deep copper ruby color with a hint of white foam, long gone from the original pour.

Smells malty and bready. The beer was very cold, which I find to mute aromas.

Taste is the classic Octoberfest marzen malt. This beer for me defines that taste, at least for American versions. Some breadiness in there, caramel notes, and a restrained hop - all make for a near perfect taste.

Very drinkable, used to drink these by the gallon. Love this beer.

10-12-2009 22:05:32 | More by KTCamm
jvillefan

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

The beer is a deep amber color and pour with small white head. The taste is a sweet, malty flavor with small amount of bitterness from the hops. Additionally, there are slight caramel undertones. It has a light body with medium carbonation. The aroma is slightly citrusy. Overall, a very good beer.

09-05-2011 23:45:48 | More by jvillefan
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)