2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

good

good

Reviews: 1914

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Octoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,949 | Reviews: 1,914 | Show All Ratings:
Nibbley

Georgia

1.43/5  rDev -61%

Wow, I am so surprised by this offering from Sam Adams.
Appearence is a nice copper color with a thick cream colored head.
Mouthfeel is very watery.
Aroma is hard to describe because is almost non exsistent.
Taste is the most disapointing. Is mostly water with little carbonation and a God Awful metallic taste that I can't get out of my mouth.
Unfortunatly, I bought a 12 pack of this nasty beer. I am hoping I have a neighbor with no taste to pawn this one off on.

08-31-2008 22:32:51 | More by Nibbley
nqdell

Oregon

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

Living in the Pacific NW and in the mood for a seasonal spirit to drink during Monday Night Football after a long day of work on this particularly blustery October night.

Disclaimer, I never buy Sam Adams, been drinking beer for about 6 years I've had and enjoy pretty much everything. The reason is simple. I like to buy local and living in Pac NW, this might as well just be puddle water.

S: Bottled, pour into a glass, no head
A: Beautiful copper tone
S: None, maybe I'm plugged up
Taste: Now here is where I have issue, there is none, a mild malt flavor and where are the spices as advertised?
M: Not creamy, not dry, not anything unfortunately, slightly sweet

Overall: The reason I haven't bought Sam Adams in all my beer drinking years is mostly pride. I think they are trying to mass market a craft product, because you know, all beer makers have a beard and love their job enthusiastically. Let this be another great East coast example of commercialization. I'm sure all you Chowd's over there love drinking this stuff... during the humid summer's maybe. Come on over to Portland and you will learn what craft beer is all about because this is a complete farce.

10-16-2012 01:19:51 | More by nqdell
gfreed

1.73/5  rDev -52.9%

Dug this out of an icy tub at a party; it was swimming in a sea of Bud and Michelob. Saved! thought I, but... wrong was I. This had all the aromatic charm of a Coors Light, which is to say it smelled like socks, and all the taste of beer made with the finest corn and rice that money can buy, only it doesn't *have* any corn and rice in it. This is about as close to a Marzen as cold oatmeal. Given the options, I may have had better luck with the Michelob. Boo.

10-10-2010 02:15:25 | More by gfreed
Jesse13713

1.78/5  rDev -51.5%

Had this on tap at laundry 101 in Kent. Nothing like getting drunk while you wait for your laundry to finish.

Appearence - More yellow than orange when compared to the bottled version. A slight filmy head with little lacing. Appears highly carbonated.

Smell - Nothing worthy or noticeable stands out. Light fruits. Its missing the malts and sweet notes from the bottle variation.

Taste - okay. I was very impressed with this beer when it came out this year, and even titled it as my favorite Sam Adams beer. But this isn't the beer that I love. Must be a funky tap or something because this tastes like fruity champagne that was poisoned with alcohol. No delicious malts. No autumn, leafy breads or grains. Just uncomfortably fruity and fizzy. I call a bad tap here.

Mouth feel and overall - its okay once you get used to it. But this is nothing like what the bottle version I love tastes like. This is low quality, probably due to the locations error on a bad tap and pour. I won't be getting this again, not here anyways.

09-05-2011 18:24:14 | More by Jesse13713
GuinnessSmurf

Missouri

1.93/5  rDev -47.4%

I'm never quite sure what to expect from Samuel Adams anymore. It seems the more popular they get, the lower the quality of their beer gets.

Such is true with this year's edition of the Samuel Adams Oktoberfest. It begins nicely - the look is great. It has an orange lager color with a medium sized head.

There isn't much to smell here. It just sort of smells like a Boston Lager.

The taste is very thin and lacks any festive qualities that make a Marzen different from a straight-ahead American lager. Its very thin and runs off the tongue before I can truly get a flavor on it.

Not impressed....not repeating.

10-04-2004 04:08:17 | More by GuinnessSmurf
TheLongBeachBum

Lots of blurb, advertising and fanfare; So I bought some to try.
Oh No, what a huge, bitter disappointment - if you can pardon the pun.

A massive foaming head that at one point threatened Mug-Mutiny. But it laced the glass well, and had an inviting look. Aromas are… Where are the aromas?????? Hmmm… (Deep Sniff). Poured a clear looking, deep Amber-Reddish Color, that again, looked very good, no complaints there. Still, No Aroma though (Deeper Sniff) … I’m trying. Initial taste is of a sickly sweetish, bee… nah - fluid. Weird. What the heck is this supposed to be?, its not like any Märzen/Oktoberfest I have had before. I get some hops in the middle but not many, perhaps just one. Where the hell is that Aroma?? (Snorting the Beer now!!) - Nope still can’t find it. Very lightweight mouth feel, that disappears almost instantaneously. Some cloyiness in the residual tastes, more annoying than pleasurable.
Is this an Oktoberfest LITE ???????

My friends in England, would say of this beer that, “It is all mouth, and no trousers”.
Mediocre or, perhaps, I just do not “understand” this beer??!??? I don’t know. But I do know I don't like it.

Promises, but just does not deliver for me. It will NOT be purchased again!!.

10-16-2002 20:41:07 | More by TheLongBeachBum
crenegar

Regardless of everything else the problem here is the HUGE diacetyl presence. Had a sixtel of this on at my house for about 2 weeks and really tried to get around it but could not. returned it for a keg of Ramstein O'fest and this is much better. A friend had the smae issue and the 2 places in the area I tried it on tap it was the same way. Not nearly as noticeable in bottles. Question is...is this lack of quality control at certain brewing sites? I believe they are brewing in the Lehigh Valley now at the old Rolling Rock place but not sure. This is the second year in a row where the diacetly presence has been overwhelming, a shame because this used to be one of my favorite seasonals from them.

10-21-2009 18:38:28 | More by crenegar
MaximalC

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours transparent copper in color with a modest off-white head. Aroma smells of grassy, slightly skunky hops and some caramel. Tastes much like it smells, but worse. A funky hop stank presents up front, asserting itself through excessive carbonation. The malt aspect tastes less like caramel and more like raw sugar--quite offputting. The finish is a heavy does of wheat must. The sensation is kind of like what I would expect if I buried my head in a box of cheerios and inhaled deeply--less than appetizing. Finally the wheaty vapors subside and the process repeats itself with the next sip (sip being the operative word here).

I'm not confident I would have picked this out as an oktoberfest in a blind tasting, but then again I'm not a big fan of oktoberfests, so maybe I might have. Suffice it to say this brew has next to nothing going for it, coming off more like a beefed up light macrobrew than an homage to German brewing tradition. Not quite as bad as Sam Adam's chocolate bock, but pretty close.

11-02-2012 02:30:16 | More by MaximalC
pubscout

2.05/5  rDev -44.1%

SA O-fest is one beer I look forward to every year. This year's version, however, can be charitably described as mediocre. No significant nose,very flat taste and an unusual watery mouthfeel made me sorry I bought a whole case. Very disappointed in what is customarily a dead-on example of a superb beer style. Not this year, however. It will go into the sauerkraut and brats preparations.

09-05-2011 12:00:18 | More by pubscout
hikix

2.08/5  rDev -43.3%

I was not impressed by this beer at all. Unfortunately, the beer distributor was closed so I had to go to 7/11. I saw sams octoberfest and decided it was the most appealing beer in the fridge so I thought I would give it a shot.

It smells like a bud light and doesn't taste much different. The taste is flat, bitter, and just does not go down well. It is tasteless to tell the truth. I guess I am becoming a beer snob because this beer is straight up bmc to me now. I had a sierra nevada before this and the SN was leaps and bounds ahead of this. It is just not tasty, it is dry and leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't like this beer and wouldn't buy it again.

09-03-2011 04:46:57 | More by hikix
MmmIPA

2.1/5  rDev -42.8%

Clear amber body with a thick white head that stayed there for a while.Nice lacing.This is where the beer goes downhill for me.

Malt and thats it.

Malt and more malt and more malt,not much hop flavor.This beer is entirely too sweet.

Watery mouthful and very sweet.

i wouldnt have this beer again and dont reccommend it to anyone.The sweetness killed it for me.

09-09-2007 15:36:25 | More by MmmIPA
RhinoDBJ

Wisconsin

2.13/5  rDev -42%

I'll preface my comments by saying I don't consider myself an expert in any kind of specific beer, but I do feel that I'm developing a more "qualified" eval of certain types (probably 'cause I like them the most!) ... and the Oktoberfest is up on the top of those beers I think I know.

The Sam Adams is a totally "un-rememberable" brew. The nose is underwhelming, and the taste and mouth feel don't help the first impressions at all.

I'll not be bringing any of these home...

08-31-2013 22:26:15 | More by RhinoDBJ
cokes

Wisconsin

2.15/5  rDev -41.4%

Dull amber color. Doesn't seem to sparkle like a nice lager should. Slow but steady carbonation. Foamy off-white head did not retain well.
Odd smelling. Fake malt sweetness. Notes of adjuncts (corn) and some godawful spice I can't seem to place.
Taste is equally uninspired. Onslaught of cloying psuedo-malt sweetness. Toffee coated adjuncts. This is what I'd expect Miller's Oktoberfest to taste like. Corn-filled, fake, cheap and abysmal. An ugly blast of grain alcohol seals the finish on this one.
My least favorite o-fest to date. Actually, one of the least favorite beers I have had in a while.

09-06-2002 10:56:57 | More by cokes
FeDUBBELFIST

2.15/5  rDev -41.4%

Bottle to pint glass.

A: A half finger of foamy head with average retention, between off-white and light brown in color. The body is clear and a bright, medium value copper. An abundance of fast paced interior bubbles maintain the lingering film. Spare lacing.

S: Aside from toasted grain, there is very little to appreciate on the nose.

T: Almost lacking flavor altogether. Malt sweetness up front with light fruity undertones. The flavor falls off of a cliff mid-palate, likely due to the aggressive carbonation.

M: Medium body. The texture is creamy as the beer passes through your lips, just before the excessive carbonation prickles the tongue. Moderately dry on the finish. This beer becomes mildly cloying towards the bottom of the glass when the liveliness of the carbonation has worn itself out.

D: One of BBC's more uninspired brews. Not enjoyable to drink.

12-30-2010 15:33:51 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
CuriousMonk

2.17/5  rDev -40.9%

Had on tap numerous times and usually pours 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Going against the tide on this one as there are many Oktoberfests that I hold in such high regard especially the German made ones. Oktoberfests are designed for drinkability and this beer is not even close to that important category. Pours clear dark copper with small off white head. Sweet malty aroma with mild hoppiness. Sweet flavors of toffee, caramel and bread with a slight hop bitterness. Medium body with verage carbonation. Metallic aftertaste which is a turnoff.

01-27-2011 20:58:47 | More by CuriousMonk
zerk

2.2/5  rDev -40.1%

I am baffled reading the reviews of this one... and wondering if I got an off 6 pack. The beer is great to look at... translucent amber / ruby with a thin, lacy head... but in all other respects was very unimpressive. Somewhat malty in flavor and aroma, with very noticeable medicinal (almost like maraschino cherries) overtones that almost make the beer undrinkable. Some hops bitterness in the finish as well, which is kind of out of character for the style. Pretty thin, with medium to high carbonation. This is one that I have really enjoyed in the past, but if it's supposed to taste the way this 6-er does, I won't be drinking it anymore.

10-07-2002 08:07:07 | More by zerk
travolta

2.2/5  rDev -40.1%

App:Perfect apricot and copper color. Head quickly leaves, retention is nothing, lacing is nothing.

Nose: Very faint malt.

Taste: Solid Sam Adams style mouthfeel, coppery and crisp, dry and slightly chemical. Sweet at the end.

Notes: I was excited to get this on tap. I was let down after the first glass. People look forward to this beer. I am interested to see how the rating changes this season.

09-13-2009 04:14:25 | More by travolta
BierReise

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

Clear deep orangish amber with a small head that dissipates to nothing. Nutty malty aroma. Thin and unimpressive with a good amount of malt but an awful metallic and bitter aftertaste. Used to be great years ago, good example of what can happen to a good brewery who loses sight of the beer in exchange for expansion and distribution as well as macro marketing.

09-08-2003 10:44:04 | More by BierReise
goochpunch

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

Pours a darke copper orange with low carbonation and a thin, barely there at all, head. Laces some. The malt smells too toasty for me. Too much of a noble hop presence in the nose as well. Aside from that, has typical malty body of an oktoberfest. Flavors are off and not what I expect when I open a bottle of what I think to be an oktoberfest. It has a malty sweetness, yes, but that is far overdone. Lacks any depth to the malt flavors. Just sweetness. Hop flavors stand out way too much. No clean lager finish. What is this? Syrupy mouthfeel. Carbonation is too prickly. I don't care for this much, but it's not the worst thing I've had.

10-07-2006 04:11:42 | More by goochpunch
abuliarose

New Hampshire

2.33/5  rDev -36.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Color is a rich orange with very slight head, but many big bubbles coating the inside of the glass. Things die down quickly as it would seem to flatten as I type. Smells slightly sour with faint traces of malt.

Tastes lightly malty and malt-nutty over citrus notes with an almost imperceptible bitter aftertaste. I can really taste the sourness I am smelling, though... almost like milk gone bad. Not appealing at all.

Otherwise, the mouthfeel is light and carbonation is so gentle and rounded that it's watery-smooth. The overall flatness and my urge to pour it down the drain when I whiff it make the drinkability low for me. Maybe I had a bad bottle but man, this would not be my first Oktoberfest choice.

09-06-2009 23:12:28 | More by abuliarose
MaineBirdMan

Maine

2.35/5  rDev -36%

Since the cold air has arrived early and October is almost halfway through, I figured I'd better get in some seasonal beers. I drank this Octoberfest at the same time as another so I could sample the differences.

Poured from a 16.6 oz bottle. Little head of foam.

Color: deep copper. clear and clean appearance.

Nose: slight floral tones.

Taste: A little nutty with a slight bit of fruit.

Mouthfeel: not a whole lot there. Very smooth and creamy. Nice finish.

Drinkability: Very easy. Seem to me that this could be a session beer (I could be way off). I could have quite a few. There just didn't seem to be all that much there in this beer. I didn't find it very interesting. Drinkable not flavorful.

10-12-2009 11:45:56 | More by MaineBirdMan
mckenziac

2.35/5  rDev -36%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass. Taken from Sam Adams's "Harvest Collection" seasonal variety pack.

Appearance: Pours a translucent copper color. Has a large, fizzy head that dissipates quickly down to a small cap that leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell: Has a faint, sweet, malty aroma. Kind of expecting more here.

Taste: Mildly bitter up front with a sweet, malty taste. Finishes bitter with toasted and sweet malts and nutty flavors. A bit cloying in sweetness at the end.

Mouthfeel: Well-carbonated with a medium body to it.

Overall: Definitely not the best O-fest out there and definitely not one of Sam Adams's standouts. It's fine enough in the fall variety pack, but definitely not something I'd seek out on its own.

09-10-2012 01:20:09 | More by mckenziac
Px2GrafX

2.38/5  rDev -35.1%

presentation: on tap

appearance: poured a cherry dark wood color with copper highlights in a pilsner glass. (all beers in the restaurant were poured in pilsners, so i didn't say anything.) head was a good 1" when it arrived at the table. off-white in color, and lasted for a few minutes before dropping to a thin capper. laced surprisingly well.

smell: not much to say here. not very aromatic but smelled sort of metallic much like an american micro lager. there were touches of sweetness and fruit, maybe grapes, but the fruit isn't to style. no hop aroma.

taste: again, not overly impressive. there's still that anoying cheap lager metallic taste. it was hard to get past this. there was a lot of malt character, some spice and just a touch of hop flavors in the finish. some noticible diacetyl flavors, though.

mouthfeel: the best thing about this beer. medium creamy body with just enough carbonation. the swallow was moderately smooth as well.

drinkability: this began more drinkable than it finished. the metallic taste was rough. alcohol didn't hinder, but aftertaste was less than appealing. buttery bitterness made this hard to finish.

overall: to start, this isn't one of my favorite styles. i'd like to review this again from the bottle to see if any of the negatives were from the restaurant or the tap. the buttery and metallic flavors made this hard to tolerate, and they aren't normal for this style. better luck next time.

09-10-2005 16:17:12 | More by Px2GrafX
jujubeast6000

2.38/5  rDev -35.1%

Reviewed 10/12/2005 (bottle):

Light aroma with straw and a toasted smell, little head which was off-white in color, only slightly fizzy, average density, red hue, not sweet, moderate bitterness, slightly acidic, light to medium body, soft carbonization. In the past with Sam Adams' seasonal beers, it seems they go flat quickly after the start of the season. This was dated good by Feb, but tatsted not as fresh.

11-09-2008 17:43:31 | More by jujubeast6000
njmoons

2.4/5  rDev -34.6%

I have had a lot of Sam Adams beers over the years, but this is the first one I would call bad.

I had a pint on tap at a local bar.

It looked good reddish brown with good long lasting staying power.

The aroma was as expected, some malt

The taste was thin, not much malt or hop flavor. Just plain bland, as I continued to drink I kept trying to find some distinctive flavors, none there. The finish was not a crisp as I would expect from a quality lager.

I will avoid in the future.

08-29-2009 04:23:15 | More by njmoons
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)